The future of VNs, in VR?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

pandaphil

Re: The future of VNs, in VR?

Post by pandaphil »

Auratus wrote:Japan never fails to impress me with their technological advance in uh... unique field. In few decades we might consider having real girlfriend as life achievement. If so I might consider myself to be a "reactionary" dad who prefer having waifu in a monitor rather than have one in any kind of simulated reality. Not like I like to have waifu actually.
Indeed. If they put as much effort into mainstream technology and science as they did media and entertainment, they'd be kicking the US's ass right now.

I'm still blown away by the Hatsune Miku concerts. I really hope we see more of this sort of thing in the future.
Last edited by pandaphil on Tue May 14, 2013 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant." ~ The Doctor.
Lodin

Post by Lodin »

I think the US will start seeing things like that soon, especially after last year's Coachella cameo by Tupac.

There's just too much money to be made.
Auratus

Post by Auratus »

Xanatos wrote:
Auratus wrote:prefer having waifu in a monitor rather than have one in any kind of simulated reality.
Arguably, a monitor waifu is in a simulated reality anyway. :lol:
You know... As long as one don't do something that looks like having tea party, dating or H-ing with "air girlfriend", I would accept that. But I still prefer to see and sense the world I live in with my own sense.
pandaphil wrote: Indeed. If they put as much effort into mainstream technology and science as they did media and entertainment, they'd be kicking the US's ass right now.
I'm still blown away by the Hatsune Miku concerts. I really hope we see more of this sort of thing in the future
I think I saw Hatsune Miku's concert on youtube since 2-3 years ago. I think they're most advanced compared to pretty much everywhere else on Earth, and I guess they are equal with US in robotic tech. (Perhap US maybe better in making robotic suit but Japan is better in making humanoid robot)
I want to make Thai Translation of KS alone and protesting with this signature.

Unofficially Demanding. Temporary even-more malfunctioned in English Grammar.

Introducing one of the few thread of it's kind that bring the world together. Wait, Whatever then.
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

Auratus wrote:
Xanatos wrote:
Auratus wrote:prefer having waifu in a monitor rather than have one in any kind of simulated reality.
Arguably, a monitor waifu is in a simulated reality anyway. :lol:
You know... As long as one don't do something that looks like having tea party, dating or H-ing with "air girlfriend", I would accept that. But I still prefer to see and sense the world I live in with my own sense.
Sensible enough. Interesting thing is once VR becomes advanced enough, there won't even be a difference. The simulation will still use your own senses, just tapping straight into the brain. I'd much rather see reality simulated over anime girls though. I can get anime girls to dance around in the reality sim anyway. :lol:

VR visual novels is a neat toy though.
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
<KeiichiO>: "That's a beautiful response to chocolate."
pandaphil

Post by pandaphil »

Auratus wrote:
I think I saw Hatsune Miku's concert on youtube since 2-3 years ago. I think they're most advanced compared to pretty much everywhere else on Earth, and I guess they are equal with US in robotic tech. (Perhap US maybe better in making robotic suit but Japan is better in making humanoid robot)
I think this is the most recent one. I love that they've added so many light a digital effects between songs. Its really making good use of the technology. I'd love to see them go even farther with digital FX, more than two characters performing at once, more audience interaction, or even performing with a live person.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQyBYnqhUuY (especially love the number at around 53 minutes in)
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant." ~ The Doctor.
Count Crainic

Post by Count Crainic »

I see that VN's will indeed have a future in VR, mainly because there is a segment of people that would want to push things further, being either them being the characters and follow a semi-defined path (like how KS is) or them being certain characters and free to make choices.

However, this concept reminds me that it has been mentioned in a book called Ready Player One, where VR was pretty much a gigantic universe which had everything: huge churches, workplaces, strip clubs etc,(kind of like a sort of Surrogates without the surrogates themselves being existent). I'm looking forward to this, from this point onwards, the evolution that has been discussed from about 20-25 years ago that people would be immersed into the alternate universe of the game would finally happen, first with Oculus Rift, and so in at least 15-20 years, the immersion could be complete.
Completion: Lilly-> Hanako
Best: Lilly>Hanako
Lodin

Post by Lodin »

It's interesting, reading up on the Rift dev's first experiences with the unit, and just how intensethe medium can be for a player. At this point such levels of immersion are more powerful than we expected, to the point where some of them don't think particular genres are going to be considered 'safe' to develop.
Auratus

Post by Auratus »

Future starts to worry me. One might not feel it unless I tell you someone figured a way to print working quasi-gun with 3d printer.
Xanatos wrote: Sensible enough. Interesting thing is once VR becomes advanced enough, there won't even be a difference. The simulation will still use your own senses, just tapping straight into the brain. I'd much rather see reality simulated over anime girls though. I can get anime girls to dance around in the reality sim anyway. :lol:

VR visual novels is a neat toy though.

"We are all aware that the senses can be deceived, the eyes fooled. But how can we be sure our senses are not being deceived at any particular time, or even all the time? Might I just be a brain in a tank somewhere, tricked all my life into believing in the events of this world by some insane computer? And does my life gain or lose meaning based on my reaction to such solipsism?"

Project PYRRHO, Specimen 46, Vat 7. Activity recorded M.Y. 2302.22467. (TERMINATION OF SPECIMEN ADVISED)
from Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri.

I guess soon, you wouldn't considered mad if you said it out loud.
pandaphil wrote: I think this is the most recent one. I love that they've added so many light a digital effects between songs. Its really making good use of the technology. I'd love to see them go even farther with digital FX, more than two characters performing at once, more audience interaction, or even performing with a live person.
I am speechless. I think I see hologram will being used for various purpose.Obviously commercial purpose, and then educational, medical security, etc. it could be used to breached some "practicality" and morality barrier that used to limit our thought, Ex., Seafood company in Japan might have "new" way to advertise octopus and squid...
I want to make Thai Translation of KS alone and protesting with this signature.

Unofficially Demanding. Temporary even-more malfunctioned in English Grammar.

Introducing one of the few thread of it's kind that bring the world together. Wait, Whatever then.