Katawa Shoujo 1.1 beta

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Loonie

Re: Katawa Shoujo 1.1 beta

Post by Loonie »

Just started slowly with Act 1 and so far only one issue stands out. Haven't had time to test this over longer periods of time when it comes to the older 1.0 version, but I think it is the case there.

With version 1.0 the mouse cursor stayed wherever I put it. Usually it starts out in the middle, but since I don't want it floating in the middle of the screen I always put it in the corner and then I can set the story on 'auto' mode or keep pressing spacebar and the cursor stays there for the most part (for about an hour or so at least as far as I can remember. Just compared it now quickly over 5 minutes or so and it does seem to stay there still).

With 1.1 beta if I attempt that, the mouse cursor constantly updates to the center of the screen (about every minute or so), smack dab in the middle of the picture. There's no option to stop this and the only way to prevent it is to use the mouse to constantly click through the story while keeping the cursor in the corner out of sight. And I moreso prefer tapping SPACE rather than obliterating my LMB or prefer not to have to constantly move the cursor out of the way during 'auto' mode.

Using a fairly standard setup really: Win 7 64-bit with intel core i5 processor and an NVDIA graphics card.

EDIT: Apparently was a bit impatient - after it reappears in the center of the screen it also automatically dissapears after about a minute as well so long as you don't use the mouse. Still, with version 1.0 I can't recall it ever visibly appearing in the center like that (hence there was no issue there), whereas with 1.1 beta it always plops itself right in the middle, stays there for about a minute or so of SPACE advancing or 'auto' mode and only then dissapears. A small difference but *shrugs* I dunno. It seems to have driven at least myself to make a mountain out of a molehill by not knowing in advance, that if I just waited for 1 more minute, as opposed to trying to put it in the corner again, that cursor would've gone away on its own. :P
mike23

Post by mike23 »

I did quite a lot of testing with the newest engine while I was making my Android port so I'll share my findings.

1. The paper note background doesn't show anywhere. Setting it to "stretch" instead of "tile" will make it show (but stretched, obviously).
Screenshot: http://i.imgur.com/MeSeIem.png

2. "OverflowError: can't convert negative value to unsigned long" on the drugs list screen.

Code: Select all

While running game code:
  File "game/imachine.rpy", line 27, in script call
  File "game/_ui_early.rpy", line 177, in script call
  File "game/script-a1-monday.rpy", line 409, in script
  File "game/ui_code.rpy", line 1762, in python
OverflowError: can't convert negative value to unsigned long
How to reproduce:
  • Start a new game.
    Enter skip mode and wait till you get past the drug list.
    Open the menu and select "Main menu".
    Start a new game.
    Enter skip mode, the exception will occur when you get to the drug list.
I don't know why that happens, all values passed to render() are positive.

3. JPEG loading error (Example: http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=7114)
Seems to happen due to faulty encoding (in every version of the engine but not on every machine)
Some images (those that cause the error) look like this when opened in Photoshop: http://i.imgur.com/guS8r6g.png
Simply resaving the images with a program that can properly decode them fixes the issue.

And lastly, there's a typo which you haven't fixed: "Yeah it was great! I've never seem them put on such a show."
Last edited by mike23 on Sun May 12, 2013 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
akiaki

Post by akiaki »

Got this when launching initially, but after logging out and logging back in it worked.

I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

After initialization, but before game start.
Exception: Could not set video mode.

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
  File "/home/aki/ks-1.1b/renpy/bootstrap.py", line 254, in bootstrap
    renpy.main.main()
  File "/home/aki/ks-1.1b/renpy/main.py", line 313, in main
    renpy.display.core.Interface()
  File "/home/aki/ks-1.1b/renpy/display/core.py", line 1166, in __init__
    self.set_mode()
  File "/home/aki/ks-1.1b/renpy/display/core.py", line 1393, in set_mode
    raise Exception("Could not set video mode.")

Linux-3.9.0-gentoo-x86_64-Intel-R-_Core-TM-2_Duo_CPU_T9300_@_2.50GHz-with-gentoo-2.2
Ren'Py 6.15.4.320
Merlyn_LeRoy

Post by Merlyn_LeRoy »

mike23 wrote:1. The paper note background doesn't show anywhere. Setting it to "stretch" instead of "tile" will make it show (but stretched, obviously).
This doesn't happen on my late 2006 17" iMac 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo running Mac OS X Lion 10.7.5. I get a stretched paper BG.
You should list what machine/os version you're testing.
mike23 wrote:2. "OverflowError: can't convert negative value to unsigned long" on the drugs list screen.
I get the same error.
mike23 wrote:3. JPEG loading error
The Emi .jpg loads OK on my setup.
SemisoftCheese

Post by SemisoftCheese »

Works perfectly on a 2009 MBP 2.53 Ghz running 10.8.3. Boots slightly faster than normal, however seems to take up a little more processor.
mike23

Post by mike23 »

Merlyn_LeRoy wrote: This doesn't happen on my late 2006 17" iMac 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo running Mac OS X Lion 10.7.5. I get a stretched paper BG.
You should list what machine/os version you're testing.
Here, have a screenshot: http://i.imgur.com/MeSeIem.png
Interesting, I tried running it on Linux now, no issues. (The issue occurs on any version of Windows)
Then I tried running it on Windows on my other laptop which, unlike this one, has a dedicated ATI GPU and it showed no problems as well.
Merlyn_LeRoy wrote: The Emi .jpg loads OK on my setup.
In Photoshop or ingame?
Merlyn_LeRoy

Post by Merlyn_LeRoy »

Displays ok in the game, in Preview and in Gimp on a mac.
mike23

Post by mike23 »

Merlyn_LeRoy wrote:Displays ok in the game, in Preview and in Gimp on a mac.
It displays fine in GIMP here as well.
mattgrubbtv

Post by mattgrubbtv »

I get into the main menu, can resize, but as soon as going into full screen, this error pops up. It's repeatable, but not game breaking. I can still play in normal and resized modes.

Specs:
Dell Latitude D420
Windows XP Pro 32 bit SP3
1GB Ram
Intel Core Solo @1.20GHz
Mobile Intel 945GM Express Chipset Family

(inb4 buy a different potato)

Error:

I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
  File "renpy/common/00start.rpy", line 153, in script
  File "renpy/common/00start.rpy", line 157, in python
  File "game/ui_labels.rpy", line 211, in script
  File "game/ui_labels.rpy", line 278, in python

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
  File "C:\Documents and Settings\Matt\Desktop\Katawa Shoujo 1.1 Beta\renpy\bootstrap.py", line 254, in bootstrap
    renpy.main.main()
  File "C:\Documents and Settings\Matt\Desktop\Katawa Shoujo 1.1 Beta\renpy\main.py", line 328, in main
    run(restart)
  File "C:\Documents and Settings\Matt\Desktop\Katawa Shoujo 1.1 Beta\renpy\main.py", line 90, in run
    renpy.execution.run_context(True)
  File "C:\Documents and Settings\Matt\Desktop\Katawa Shoujo 1.1 Beta\renpy\execution.py", line 509, in run_context
    context.run()
  File "C:\Documents and Settings\Matt\Desktop\Katawa Shoujo 1.1 Beta\renpy\execution.py", line 288, in run
    node.execute()
  File "C:\Documents and Settings\Matt\Desktop\Katawa Shoujo 1.1 Beta\renpy\ast.py", line 718, in execute
    renpy.python.py_exec_bytecode(self.code.bytecode, self.hide, store=self.store)
  File "C:\Documents and Settings\Matt\Desktop\Katawa Shoujo 1.1 Beta\renpy\python.py", line 1297, in py_exec_bytecode
    exec bytecode in globals, locals
  File "renpy/common/00start.rpy", line 157, in <module>
    renpy.call_in_new_context("_main_menu")
  File "C:\Documents and Settings\Matt\Desktop\Katawa Shoujo 1.1 Beta\renpy\game.py", line 369, in call_in_new_context
    renpy.execution.run_context(False)
  File "C:\Documents and Settings\Matt\Desktop\Katawa Shoujo 1.1 Beta\renpy\execution.py", line 509, in run_context
    context.run()
  File "C:\Documents and Settings\Matt\Desktop\Katawa Shoujo 1.1 Beta\renpy\execution.py", line 288, in run
    node.execute()
  File "C:\Documents and Settings\Matt\Desktop\Katawa Shoujo 1.1 Beta\renpy\ast.py", line 718, in execute
    renpy.python.py_exec_bytecode(self.code.bytecode, self.hide, store=self.store)
  File "C:\Documents and Settings\Matt\Desktop\Katawa Shoujo 1.1 Beta\renpy\python.py", line 1297, in py_exec_bytecode
    exec bytecode in globals, locals
  File "game/ui_labels.rpy", line 278, in <module>
  File "C:\Documents and Settings\Matt\Desktop\Katawa Shoujo 1.1 Beta\renpy\ui.py", line 237, in interact
    rv = renpy.game.interface.interact(roll_forward=roll_forward, **kwargs)
  File "C:\Documents and Settings\Matt\Desktop\Katawa Shoujo 1.1 Beta\renpy\display\core.py", line 1853, in interact
    repeat, rv = self.interact_core(preloads=preloads, **kwargs)
  File "C:\Documents and Settings\Matt\Desktop\Katawa Shoujo 1.1 Beta\renpy\display\core.py", line 2139, in interact_core
    self.set_mode()
  File "C:\Documents and Settings\Matt\Desktop\Katawa Shoujo 1.1 Beta\renpy\display\core.py", line 1393, in set_mode
    raise Exception("Could not set video mode.")

Windows-XP-5.1.2600-SP3
Ren'Py 6.15.4.320
"Daddy, why doesn't this magnet pick up your hard drive?"
mike23

Post by mike23 »

mattgrubbtv wrote:Mobile Intel 945GM Express Chipset Family
Intel IGPs never properly supported OpenGL. Ren'Py should do some kind of a compatibility check and switch to a software renderer when necessary.

Are you experiencing the first bug I described in my post above?
Brisingr

Post by Brisingr »

Well, I have just finished Shizune's good end and I have noticed nothing out of the ordinary compared to your original release aside from the fact that the mouse disappears when I switch to full screen. I am running windows 7 on an Intel i5-2450 quad core @ 2.50 GHz and an Intel(R) HD Graphics 3000 graphics card.
Wynd

Post by Wynd »

The only problems I have (so far) are that the screen flickers when going into fullscreen mode plus all text and backgrounds look slightly blurry (or at least, not as sharp as the original), but that's probably just a result of scaling from the new and improved fullscreen function that was definitely in 1.0 but is now better for 1.1.
Last edited by Wynd on Sun May 19, 2013 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Real men cry buckets.
Wynd

Post by Wynd »

If I start KS in fullscreen mode, I get this warning informing me that my computer is displaying graphics slowly (this is not the case), suggesting that I update Direct X to fix it. I selected "Continue, Show this warning again" to test the game to see if there was any noticeable difference, however the game ran as normal and the cinematics ran smoothly. I don't get this warning if I start the game windowed, so it may have something to do with my aforementioned screen-flickering when changing from windowed to fullscreen (which I still get when I start the game in fullscreen).
KSerror.png
KSerror.png (57.5 KiB) Viewed 8156 times
As there's no noticeable problem with the game I will ignore this for now. I have a Dell XPS L501X laptop running Windows 7 64-bit. As a laptop it is a bit crappy, but it has more than enough processing power and memory to handle something like KS, as well as a competent NVIDIA GPU (not that I use it for KS though).
I actually tried running KS with the GPU, but I got the same message.

Obviously this isn't a gamebreaking problem (or even a problem at all) so I'm not desperate for a solution. I'll leave things as they are for now (partially because I can't be bothered faffing about with Direct X), but I thought I should put this up here to see if you guys might know what was up.

EDIT: Well, I decided to go for the Direct X update. It started to run, and then informed me my Direct X was completely up-to-date. I re-ran KS to see if it still had any problems, but the warning didn't pop up at all.
Real men cry buckets.
delta
Feels Badman

Post by delta »

Based on the feedback in this thread, I have decided to leave the Windows and Linux versions on 6.10 (since there's quite a few problems and no big benefit on those platforms), but to move the OS X version to 6.15 (since there's only minor problems and several benefits).

Thanks to everyone who participated.
Morlok8k

Post by Morlok8k »

I just tried it out.

So far i haven't seen any issues except that resizing the window in Ubuntu 13.04 (64bit with NVIDIA video card) doesn't work right. the window itself resizes, but the content doesn't. its just black. making the window smaller works a little.

if i maximize the window during the instant before the 4LS video appears the game fills most of the window.

minor annoyance: the auto-play icon randomly gets sharp edges. (top, bottom, right, and left sides). only really noticeable when window is maximized.

Overall it plays the same, and looks nicer (a bit softer)

oh and i get this in terminal when it starts:

Could not find platform dependent libraries <exec_prefix>
Consider setting $PYTHONHOME to <prefix>[:<exec_prefix>]
Could not find platform dependent libraries <exec_prefix>
Consider setting $PYTHONHOME to <prefix>[:<exec_prefix>]
Edit: Kick-aha on page 1 has the same issues.