Hanako's presents

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

YZQ

Re: Hanako's presents

Post by YZQ »

I think Hanako's condition has progressed beyond the stage where pressure masks would have made a difference.

I'll think that she grew up too quickly to have a childhood. She was helping out with the younger kids when she became older.
"Nothing is beneath man. Everything is permitted."

"...since love and fear can hardly exist together, if we must choose between them, it is far safer to be feared than loved. However, it is important above all to avoid being hated."
Hisao&Hanako<3

Post by Hisao&Hanako<3 »

On that thought and note, it's a shame she was never adopted. I'm sure her emotional development would have been quite different had she been with loving foster parents.

But on another note, I'm attracted to girls with childlike qualities. I've got that sort of thing going on with myself too. Some might call it naive... I call it "being untainted by the evils in the world." To have a pure heart despite being put through pain and betrayal... that takes a lot of strength.
YZQ

Post by YZQ »

I'll go with "Able to appreciate the pure, but still not afraid to get dirty." Balance in all things.

Hanako did muse to herself that she never got adopted because of her scars. Can be soul crushing, whn you think of it that way.
Last edited by YZQ on Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

"...since love and fear can hardly exist together, if we must choose between them, it is far safer to be feared than loved. However, it is important above all to avoid being hated."
Hisao&Hanako<3

Post by Hisao&Hanako<3 »

I don't agree with that. One need not soil themselves with the evil in this world to deal with all situations. Hanako herself is shown to have some cynicism and dislike of people. Hopefully that never grows into hate, because hate burns the good qualities in a person fast.

But we're talking about someone fictional, here. I guess I can say, I hope girls who are like her don't become tainted with anger and hate.
YZQ

Post by YZQ »

Fundamentally, you need to recognise it and acknowledge that it exists. I enclose that infamous quote from The Prince in my signature.

Guest Poster

Post by Guest Poster »

On that thought and note, it's a shame she was never adopted. I'm sure her emotional development would have been quite different had she been with loving foster parents.
She'd still have been subjected to extensive bullying though, with or without foster parents.

That said, it's not a surprise she never was adopted. What was a surprise was that many of the other children in her orphanage were. Adoption of orphaned kids is very uncommon in Japan...it's seen as a sign that a couple cannot conceive on their own and thus carries a social stigma.
Sisterhood: True Edition. Hanako epilogue I wrote. Now expanded with additional chapters.
YZQ

Post by YZQ »

Something tells me that they could be adopted by foster parents from Japanese communities overseas, like the States or even in Peru.

pandaphil

Post by pandaphil »

Guest Poster wrote:
Yeah, Hisao got her a hairclip on their first date. The lock of hair kept getting in the way when he kissed her. She only wears it when she's alone with Hisao or Lilly.
Aww, I missed the reason he got it for her. Damn that's adorable. Thank you sir.

Hanako seemed to like them...With that in mind, I don't think it's weird that Hanako would like dolls and pluche toys.
Which is why I think getting her the doll AND the chess set, each appealing to one side of her nature are really the best presents of all.

I only like the Phantom mask idea because in my fic, shes become a bit of an ALW Phantom fangirl. I could see her just playing around the house, putting on the mask and dressing up like in the red rose pic someone posted earlier just for fun.

Guest Poster wrote:
She'd still have been subjected to extensive bullying though, with or without foster parents.

That said, it's not a surprise she never was adopted. What was a surprise was that many of the other children in her orphanage were. Adoption of orphaned kids is very uncommon in Japan...it's seen as a sign that a couple cannot conceive on their own and thus carries a social stigma.
I gotta say, as much as I love Japanese culture, things like this annoy the piss out of me. I suspect I wouldn't do well there since I don't give a flying fuck about social stigma.

I think if she'd had adoptive parents, she may have grown up shy, but I think having a loving family with half decent emotional support, she'd probably still be shy, but not as desperately lonely and frightened of people as she is, and we probably wouldn't have to deal with so much trauma around her birthday.
Hisao&Hanako<3 wrote:I don't agree with that. One need not soil themselves with the evil in this world to deal with all situations. Hanako herself is shown to have some cynicism and dislike of people. Hopefully that never grows into hate, because hate burns the good qualities in a person fast.
That's why I'm grateful to Lilly and Hisao. I think if it weren't for them there's a good chance she would grow into an angry, embittered person.
Last edited by pandaphil on Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:20 am, edited 3 times in total.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant." ~ The Doctor.
Hisao&Hanako<3

Post by Hisao&Hanako<3 »

Of course I recognize evil, or how else would I know to avoid it? I'll go with Vash's quote. "But I still want to believe in the power of the heart, a heart that sees the sin."

On the orphanage note... that's pretty sad. One of the biggest things that can get me down is imagining someone else's pain... wishing I could do something to take it all away. It's impossible for humans to do that though, in and of themselves anyway.
YZQ

Post by YZQ »

It's the same sort of logic as the one behind the maxim "To have peace, you must prepare for war."

Reading ALW's version of the story could help her at some level. I probably mentioned before that she blames herself a little too much for what has happened to her since the fire.

Guest Poster

Post by Guest Poster »

YZQ wrote:Something tells me that they could be adopted by foster parents from Japanese communities overseas, like the States or even in Peru.
Most of the adoption of orphans that do take place in Japan is actually done by either foreigners or Japanese abroad, so you're probably right about that.
Sisterhood: True Edition. Hanako epilogue I wrote. Now expanded with additional chapters.
YZQ

Post by YZQ »

On another note, recommending the first 4 books of A Song of Ice and Fire to Hanako...

KeiichiO

Post by KeiichiO »

YZQ wrote:On another note, recommending the first 4 books of A Song of Ice and Fire to Hanako...
Hell yes.
pandaphil

Post by pandaphil »

I'd love to see Hisao taking her into town to see Phantom on stage at some point.

YZQ wrote:On another note, recommending the first 4 books of A Song of Ice and Fire to Hanako...
Oh there's a good subject. What books would Hanako like?
Last edited by pandaphil on Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant." ~ The Doctor.
KeiichiO

Post by KeiichiO »

pandaphil wrote:
Oh there's a good subject. What books would Hanako like?
Fifty Shades of Grey?