What would your disability be?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Scorch

Re: What would your disability be?

Post by Scorch »

metalangel wrote:
That's what I was trying to say, and I got the tone wrong in saying 'sick'. You can understand why I'd think it was pleasure if you actively make a thread wanting other people to think about it and share it.

It's all well and good to think idly about it like this, from a position of being fit and able-bodied. But to think about it from the disabled side, to see someone who doesn't have to deal with what you do every day thinking maybe they'd want to have the issues you do... it would be absolutely boggling.
I can understand where your coming from. It is a rather strange thing to think about, but like i said, i wouldn't want it. But besides people with BIID, i don't think anyone really would.

I apologize for this misunderstanding. I'm relatively new to these forums and don't know how the users would respond to something like this, ignorant of how controversial it could be.
pandaphil

Post by pandaphil »

I certainly don't have a problem with this thread. I almost think of it a RP'ing (which I know isn't allowed here).

It brings to mind the one bad thing about the game, which is that the dev's made the girls seem almost too normal. Apart from maybe Hanako, none of the girls are shown to really suffer from their disabilities. If anything, they're more like minor inconveniences. Because of their problems, they come off as seemingly brave, admirable people. Who wouldn't want to share those same traits?
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant." ~ The Doctor.
Auratus

Post by Auratus »

Potentially having cardiac problem and abnormally optimistic about my own death. Does this count?
I want to make Thai Translation of KS alone and protesting with this signature.

Unofficially Demanding. Temporary even-more malfunctioned in English Grammar.

Introducing one of the few thread of it's kind that bring the world together. Wait, Whatever then.
Kutagh

Post by Kutagh »

pandaphil wrote:It brings to mind the one bad thing about the game, which is that the dev's made the girls seem almost too normal. Apart from maybe Hanako, none of the girls are shown to really suffer from their disabilities. If anything, they're more like minor inconveniences. Because of their problems, they come off as seemingly brave, admirable people. Who wouldn't want to share those same traits?
So just because we have disabilities that means that our lives have to be significantly different? We're just people, you know... And even then, it is very important to look at what is being said as well as what hasn't been said. For example, Shizune. Haven't you noticed how she barely talks informally with people outside the Student Council? She's always working. Most people would compare her to the loner in their class/company, the odd one out.
The fact is, you just get on with your life, adapting as well as you can to the changes. That is something everyone does, not just due to handicaps but also due to other circumstances (losing your job and such).

And since I already am Deaf, I don't need an excuse to get into Yamaku :P
YZQ

Post by YZQ »

Everyone's lives will be different, because of unique circumstances and experiences. While they can be similar, they are also unique.
"Nothing is beneath man. Everything is permitted."

"...since love and fear can hardly exist together, if we must choose between them, it is far safer to be feared than loved. However, it is important above all to avoid being hated."
ArazelEternal

Post by ArazelEternal »

Probably just a missing hand like Miki. Nothing thats really a big issue, more of an inconvenience.

Lilly = Hanako, Emi, Rin, Shizune
I fell in love with Lilly and Hanako

You are not alone, and you are not strange. You are you, and everyone has damage. Be your Emiest.
pandaphil

Post by pandaphil »

Kutagh wrote:
pandaphil wrote:It brings to mind the one bad thing about the game, which is that the dev's made the girls seem almost too normal. Apart from maybe Hanako, none of the girls are shown to really suffer from their disabilities. If anything, they're more like minor inconveniences. Because of their problems, they come off as seemingly brave, admirable people. Who wouldn't want to share those same traits?
So just because we have disabilities that means that our lives have to be significantly different? We're just people, you know... And even then, it is very important to look at what is being said as well as what hasn't been said. For example, Shizune. Haven't you noticed how she barely talks informally with people outside the Student Council? She's always working. Most people would compare her to the loner in their class/company, the odd one out.
The fact is, you just get on with your life, adapting as well as you can to the changes. That is something everyone does, not just due to handicaps but also due to other circumstances (losing your job and such).

And since I already am Deaf, I don't need an excuse to get into Yamaku :P

Not that I think the girls shouldn't be treated as normal. They are, and I applaud that. Its just that the VN seems to show very little of the downside of their disabilities. Which might lead some players to romanticize being disabled.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant." ~ The Doctor.
Umber

Post by Umber »

I'd go for the Ooe. I already have bad vision, and some form of arthritis runs in the family.

Nothing much else to say.
-An occasional art thread.
pig dissections and cadaver examinations.
Hisao&Hanako<3

Post by Hisao&Hanako<3 »

I think that with asthma, some epilepsy in my childhood, and a legally blind left eye, I'd probably qualify for Yamaku. Most likely because of the asthma. The other two don't really hinder me much. Haven't had an epileptic seizure since I was... 12, I think? In any case, I can pass as normal enough. The problem would be affording the tuition...
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

pandaphil wrote:I certainly don't have a problem with this thread. I almost think of it a RP'ing (which I know isn't allowed here).

It brings to mind the one bad thing about the game, which is that the dev's made the girls seem almost too normal. Apart from maybe Hanako, none of the girls are shown to really suffer from their disabilities. If anything, they're more like minor inconveniences. Because of their problems, they come off as seemingly brave, admirable people. Who wouldn't want to share those same traits?
None of them are shown to suffer? Really?

Hanako was mocked and bullied for it until it traumatized her.

Lilly was ditched by her parents over it and has to constantly maintain a facade to avoid looking vulnerable, a facade that shatters the instant she trips up a bit.

Emi is put into a wheelchair anytime she overworks and will forever have to hold herself back to avoid a repeat of it.

Shizune is utterly cut off from family and peers due to the communication barrier.

Rin...Well, hell, just play her route. She's nothing BUT suffering inside.

It shows their disabilities and it shows the effects. Legless girl has fake legs. Is there an extra downside to be shown there?
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
<KeiichiO>: "That's a beautiful response to chocolate."
YZQ

Post by YZQ »

For Emi, the key is "overworked". Also, it's overworking over a period of time. It's more a symptom of her real issues.

Shizune's problem is two-way. Her father is a blockhead fore refusing to use sign, but Shizune is a blockhead for refusing to compromise and use writing.
"Nothing is beneath man. Everything is permitted."

"...since love and fear can hardly exist together, if we must choose between them, it is far safer to be feared than loved. However, it is important above all to avoid being hated."
metalangel

Post by metalangel »

Xanatos wrote:
Rose-tinted waifu glasses!
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

metalangel wrote:
Xanatos wrote:
Rose-tinted waifu glasses!
Waifu glasses would be awesome. Put them on and everyone magically looks and acts like your waifu.
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
KeiichiO

Post by KeiichiO »

Xanatos wrote:Waifu glasses would be awesome. Put them on and everyone magically looks and acts like your waifu.
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

KeiichiO wrote:
Xanatos wrote:Waifu glasses would be awesome. Put them on and everyone magically looks and acts like your waifu.
http://forums.watchuseek.com/attachment ... -money.jpg
And you can program different or multiple waifus...So I can live in a world full of Lilly and Molly. :lol:

Damn you, technology, catch up with my brilliance!