Hesitate to go trough it again?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Zarkhes

Hesitate to go trough it again?

Post by Zarkhes »

So, i finished part of KS about a week ago (my ,,feels,, post here : http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=7633&start=75 ), and despite i know i will get good story, i still dont feel urge to start another root.
Thing is...it took me about 2 days to get over it.For 2 days i didnt listen to anything else than KS OST, some melancholic ballads, and some gothic rock.To play this game again seems like self-torture, because i dont realy liked the things/memories that crossed my mind last time.Its like when someone has wallpaper of a dream car on his computer, if he know he will never get it :wink:

So, anyone here like me?Or you just all hapily swept trough it all at once?
To be forgotten is worse that death ...
Xanatos

Re: Hesitate to go trough it again?

Post by Xanatos »

We all varied. I played an hour a day for a few months. Others took a week. Still others, a few days. Move at your own pace but make sure when you do finish, you've finished 100%. I've been meaning to replay it (already 100%'d it once) but every time I start it up, that theme music just destroys me...
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
<KeiichiO>: "That's a beautiful response to chocolate."
pandaphil

Post by pandaphil »

That's pretty much what we've all gone through man. It took me about ten days before I could come back to the game after playing Emi's route, and I marathoned her story.

Like Xan sait, just go at your own pace. Each of the grisl is worth experiencing. In the end, I think you'll be glad you met them.

Just don't forget, we're here for you, and most of us have gone through the exact same thing as you and survived.

And yes, there are about three songs on the soundtrack that kill me whenever I hear them.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant." ~ The Doctor.
ShadeHaven

Post by ShadeHaven »

I finished all the routes in about a week, then went through them again about a month after that.

Since then, which was a little more than a year ago, I couldn't get around to starting it up again. I'm just now beginning a new playthrough, but I'm taking it slow this time around.
Carighan

Post by Carighan »

I played the first three endings I got (Shizune Bad, Shizune Good, Emi Saving Throw) in four days, then took a few days, then finished the others at a pace of ~1 ending per evening.

I took part in the reddit anniversary re-read, we did 1 story per week.
The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.
Omega

Post by Omega »

I always needed a few days between plays. If not for the feels, then becuase I'd feel bad seeing my last partner in the new story. To be honest, I still haven't played with Emi. I finished Lilly weeks ago and she's still fresh on my mind.
ImageImage
**~-~*~-~*~-~*~-~*~-~*~-Lilly~*~-~*~-~*~-~*~-~*~-~*~-~*~-~*~-~*~-~*~-Shizune~*~-~*~-~*~-~*~-~**
CreedKeeper25

Post by CreedKeeper25 »

I remember when I went back to try another route a couple days after finishing Hanako's. When I got to her in the library, I quit the game. I had to wait another week before I could go back, but it was far easier when I did. And now I've got to deal with Lily's ending :cry:
SpecimenSix wrote:And not crying when you read KS doesn't mean you're a man. It means you have no soul. :lol:
Hanabro
Brisingr

Post by Brisingr »

I was going to go over my own feels again but then I remembered my first post on these forums did a little bit better better job back then which I dug up and pasted here.
Brisingr wrote:As the first VN I ever read, I wasn't expecting anything of this scale and it threw me way off for a few days. Since I have part-time work and school, it took me longer to finish everything (10 days I think?) and I was able to see myself or parts of myself in every character. I see myself in Hisao because I too have a heart condition, Tetralogy of Fallot (but I am completely fine) and a few other things besides, my mind is geared towards the logical side so I view my surroundings and situations objectively like Shizune, I tend to be friendly towards others yet emotionally distant like Emi, I also tend to avoid people like Hanako (though no where near as much), I take no shame in my conditions like Lilly, and I have known myself to experience fits of melancholy then things around me change too much like Rin. This visual novel... this experience... hit home and hard. While I was reading all of the story arcs for the first time, I couldn't for the life of me focus on anything else for very long and that threw my homework off for a while but I eventually managed to get it done. I lost what little apatite I did have and I never wanted to eat. I don't even recall feeling hungry at all while I was reading KS now that I think about it. When I finished one girl's arc, I would immediately jump into the next one I found interesting even if it was late at night and that threw off my sleep schedule for a while. When I finally finished reading everybody's story arc, for a good 2 days I had the feeling of "what the heck can come after that?" I even found a pic on these forums that accurately shows that feeling:

I barely managed to pick up my life after that feeling just a few days ago. This as a VN that changes the reader and stays with the reader.
Hanako's route hit me especially hard because while I didn't have it as bad as her, her middle school and high school experiences practically mirror my own. Over a year later and I still get chills when I listen to painful history. If I had to say who gave me the most feels, It would be Lilly. I can't even properly describe how I feel about Lilly without leaving a big mess of feels on these boards.

As others have said, everybody reacts differently. Take it at your own pace and you'll be fine.
mysterycycle

Post by mysterycycle »

I played it pretty solidly, especially after absorbing my first ending (Emi's Good Ending). Whenever I was at home, I was playing KS, until I finished every (good) ending. Then, after a while, I explored the neutral and bad endings - I think I took a few days before I could bring myself to do that, and I didn't do Hanako's bad ending for a pretty long time (I didn't think my heart could take it).

But after having the whole KS experience, I couldn't get into anything other than KS for a couple of weeks. I thought about it nonstop, and listened to the soundtrack on an endless loop. I no longer had an appetite for gaming of any kind, and any genre other than teen romance/slice of life felt uninteresting, hollow and pointless to me. I wanted more feels, I guess, and I didn't want KS to be over for me.

Eventually, I got better, and started getting into other stuff again. But I don't think I could say that KS has completely left my system (as evidenced by my continued presence here, to say the least). From what I understand, this is a fairly typical experience, so as the forum header says, "don't panic, it's just a game." Let the feels run their course.
You are not alone, and you are not strange. You are you, and everyone has damage. Be the better person.
ImageImage
Couch to 5k with Emi: WD123 W2D123 W3D123 W4D123 W5D123 W6D123 W7D123 W8D123 W9D123
I'm making a Katawa Shoujo doujinshi!
My deviantArt
Pokeman

Post by Pokeman »

Xanatos wrote: I've been meaning to replay it (already 100%'d it once) but every time I start it up, that theme music just destroys me...
Same with me. Just, the music when you get to what I'll call the title screen, makes me get so goddamn emotional.

I've been wanting to 100% it again someday when I've completely forgotten what happens in the routes, though occasionally I just go play a bit of the game with some of the bookmarks I've left.
pandaphil

Post by pandaphil »

I've lost track of how many times I've gone on Youtube to rewatch Hanako's good ending.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant." ~ The Doctor.
YZQ

Post by YZQ »

I'm more into "being there to poke the girls in the direction they want to go."
"Nothing is beneath man. Everything is permitted."

"...since love and fear can hardly exist together, if we must choose between them, it is far safer to be feared than loved. However, it is important above all to avoid being hated."
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

YZQ wrote:I'm more into "being there to poke the girls..."
I second this.
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
<KeiichiO>: "That's a beautiful response to chocolate."
ArazelEternal

Post by ArazelEternal »

Hmmmm. Because of a job and other commitments, I think it in total took more more than a month, possibly two to get through the whole thing. My first ending was Emi's bad ending. Fuck... that hit me hard. I usually go to bed at midnight on worknights so I can be awake for work the next day. That night I stayed up until two to finish her story. I had to be up for work the next day a 7:30. I got maybe two good hours of sleep. I didnt cry or anything, but I was just restless, wondering what I did wrong, wondering how it could end that badly and just how much it hurt. The whole next day at work I really had to push to motivate myself and hold my tongue lest I take it out on someone who was undeserving. I was a bit hesitant to go through it again, but the next night I went from my last save point for her arc and managed to finish with her good end. That made me feel much better.

Now sometimes when I go through it, I have to motivate myself to finish the path I am on. Even though Ive played through it all and know how it ends, I still dont want to finish it and have it end again like it inevitably will.

Lilly = Hanako, Emi, Rin, Shizune
I fell in love with Lilly and Hanako

You are not alone, and you are not strange. You are you, and everyone has damage. Be your Emiest.
Brisingr

Post by Brisingr »

To be completely honest, I think the appeal of the game is starting to wear off. Don't get me wrong, I still get some feels from going through the VN for any route but they can't hit me anywhere near as hard as they have before whether I want them to or not. Thing is, I'm more aware of the fact that I'm reading an awesome story instead of experiencing it as if I were Hisao. I think I've been spending too much time on TVtropes.com. :lol:

Edit: I can now confirm that I spend too much time on TVTropes.com... :oops:
Last edited by Brisingr on Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.