Hesitate to go trough it again?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Jango

Re: Hesitate to go trough it again?

Post by Jango »

I cleared it all, and while I don't do full playthroughs, I'll sometimes open up the library and go to a part that was really heart-warming for me. There are a few arcs I'd replay again, but yeah, it is a bit difficult to adjust from one girl to the next.
mysterycycle wrote:after having the whole KS experience, I couldn't get into anything other than KS for a couple of weeks. I thought about it nonstop, and listened to the soundtrack on an endless loop. I no longer had an appetite for gaming of any kind, and any genre other than teen romance/slice of life felt uninteresting, hollow and pointless to me. I wanted more feels, I guess, and I didn't want KS to be over for me.

Eventually, I got better, and started getting into other stuff again. But I don't think I could say that KS has completely left my system (as evidenced by my continued presence here, to say the least). From what I understand, this is a fairly typical experience, so as the forum header says, "don't panic, it's just a game." Let the feels run their course.
Agreed on this point. I used to read Homestuck religiously. I have an app on my cell that tells me when Homestuck gets updated the minute it does, just to show you how dedicated I was to the series. After I picked up Katawa Shoujo, those updates just meant little to me. It would be like "Goddammit, Hussie, stop updating the comic, I'm trying to ask Shizune out!" Even after getting 98% completion (missing some dialogue strings, heh), I'm still hesitant to keep on top of Homestuck in favor of viewing bits of the Hanako/Shizune/Lilly's arcs again (or the buttsex scene in Emi's because LOL).

But yeah, I remember after finishing all the routes, thinking "Wow, it's over," and just wandering around aimlessly.
Last edited by Jango on Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
win746

Post by win746 »

Brisingr wrote:To be completely honest, I think the appeal of the game is starting to wear off. Don't get me wrong, I still get some feels from going through the VN for any route but they can't hit me anywhere near as hard as they have before whether I want them to or not. Thing is, I'm more aware of the fact that I'm reading an awesome story instead of experiencing it as if I were Hisao. I think I've been spending too much time on TVtropes.com. :lol:
I'll be scared for my emotional state if it took a year to start to wear off. :lol:
Katie wrote:I hate men
This board is being invaded by feminists, spread the word!
Brisingr

Post by Brisingr »

win746 wrote: I'll be scared for my emotional state if it took a year to start to wear off. :lol:
The appeal has been gone for a while now. Whenever I try to play KS now, it feels like a game instead of an experience because I over-analyze everything. I can't get into it again even if I wanted to.
win746

Post by win746 »

Brisingr wrote:
win746 wrote: I'll be scared for my emotional state if it took a year to start to wear off. :lol:
The appeal has been gone for a while now. Whenever I try to play KS now, it feels like a game instead of an experience because I over-analyze everything. I can't get into it again even if I wanted to.
I feel it's over for me too, or at least replaced by real life (bad) feelings. So I'm actually also hesitating to go through it again. I haven't got 100% yet, only neutral and bad endings left......
Katie wrote:I hate men
This board is being invaded by feminists, spread the word!
Brisingr

Post by Brisingr »

win746 wrote: I feel it's over for me too, or at least replaced by real life (bad) feelings. So I'm actually also hesitating to go through it again. I haven't got 100% yet, only neutral and bad endings left......
Good luck with those... I don't know if you need it but I know I did. Take a break if you need it.
pandaphil

Post by pandaphil »

While I don't have the feels as strongly as I did before, I can still work up a head of tears when I watch an emotional clip on Youtube, or listen to certain pieces of music. These days i'm more interested in speculating on how the story will continue.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant." ~ The Doctor.
BananaPudding

Post by BananaPudding »

pandaphil wrote:While I don't have the feels as strongly as I did before, I can still work up a head of tears when I watch an emotional clip on Youtube, or listen to certain pieces of music. These days i'm more interested in speculating on how the story will continue.
I feel as though that's the natural progression. There is only so long you can just sit and feel something without either moving on to something else, or delving in deeper with speculation.
Completion order: Emi->Lily->Shizune->Hanako->Rin
Feels order: Emi->lily/Hanako->Rin->Shizune
Loonie

Post by Loonie »

I didn't go through all of it again after completing it, though I did obviously go through my favourite scenes. But 1 month afterwards I devoted myself regularly to a full playthrough with the aim of actually reviewing it and giving back at least something approximating useful feedback. That kinda...took something out of it for me. It made it a lot easier for me to just put it aside for several months (4 or so to be specific) and do other things in my life.

...then, when the time came that I felt like going through it again, I don't think I hesitated that much. I made time enough for it, I enjoyed going through it all again (having forgotten some of the details it was nice to rediscover them) and yeah...it was good. :) No problems were ever had though when it came to switching between the girls' story arcs. Ultimately, they have their lives and I have my own and (I suppose I am in the minority in this) I am ultimately more often than not aware that I am not seeing their stories through just my own eyes, but also through the eyes of Hisao. So nah, I never really felt the waifu phenomenon tbh. They always are primarily Hisao's 'waifus' as opposed to mine, if they can be called that at all.
Scorch

Post by Scorch »

I have been hesitant to go back through it. The only thing left for me is a few endings, some good some bad, left to get. I find it hard to go through the paths i got good endings on though. Not wanting to do them comes from not wanting to rewrite my memories of what has happened, i feel like Im cheating the system or something.
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

Scorch wrote:I have been hesitant to go back through it. The only thing left for me is a few endings, some good some bad, left to get. I find it hard to go through the paths i got good endings on though. Not wanting to do them comes from not wanting to rewrite my memories of what has happened, i feel like Im cheating the system or something.
Memories don't work like that, you know. Doing the bad end won't overwrite doing the good. :P Go for it!
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
<KeiichiO>: "That's a beautiful response to chocolate."
pandaphil

Post by pandaphil »

Scorch wrote:I have been hesitant to go back through it. The only thing left for me is a few endings, some good some bad, left to get. I find it hard to go through the paths i got good endings on though. Not wanting to do them comes from not wanting to rewrite my memories of what has happened, i feel like Im cheating the system or something.
I felt the same way and so far I've seen Rin and Hanako's bad endings without any harmful effects. Sure they're upsetting, but they seem so far out of chanracter for how I imagine Hisao that I find them easy to dismiss a ssimple "What if" stories, or even bad dreams.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant." ~ The Doctor.
ReCodes

Post by ReCodes »

the feeling is still inside me after all this time not playing the game
~WAHAHAHA...~
http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=7531 <- my fan art gallery

I'm dead...for now...will be back sometimes later...
Scorch

Post by Scorch »

Xanatos wrote:
Scorch wrote:I have been hesitant to go back through it. The only thing left for me is a few endings, some good some bad, left to get. I find it hard to go through the paths i got good endings on though. Not wanting to do them comes from not wanting to rewrite my memories of what has happened, i feel like I'm cheating the system or something.
Memories don't work like that, you know. Doing the bad end won't overwrite doing the good. :P Go for it!
Your right, i know they don't work that way. Still apprehensive, but there's no point just letting it sit there. Just need to go for it.
pandaphil wrote:
I felt the same way and so far I've seen Rin and Hanako's bad endings without any harmful effects. Sure they're upsetting, but they seem so far out of chanracter for how I imagine Hisao that I find them easy to dismiss a ssimple "What if" stories, or even bad dreams.
The only character i seemed to ever get at first was Emi. First ending ever was her good one. She didn't have as strong as an effect on me though as Hanako did though, first ending i got for her was the neutral one, which was bittersweet for me.
pandaphil

Post by pandaphil »

^ Emi I think is the only bad ending I don't think I want to see. Apparently she comes across as very nasty in it, and I like to think shes basically a good person.
Scorch

Post by Scorch »

pandaphil wrote:^ Emi I think is the only bad ending I don't think I want to see. Apparently she comes across as very nasty in it, and I like to think shes basically a good person.
It's hard to imagine her angry. Though the ones who smile the most hold the worst pain from my experience. In her good route, i thought Hisao was really over analyzing things, but i just didn't understand. I think i need to replay her route, its hazy in my mind.