Koe no Katachi: A manga about a deaf girl in public school

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

FeroxAnima

Re: Koe no Katachi: A manga about a deaf girl in public scho

Post by FeroxAnima »

Jobriq wrote:I just noticed this was made into an ongoing series.
Although I found the ending to be quite underwhelming (an understatement, truly, but there have been fans with opinions not as harsh as mine), I do recommend this manga from the bottom of my heart and without a second thought. Been following it until it ended and it was truly wonderful, unforgettable, and unique. Certainly one of my favourites.
Last edited by FeroxAnima on Fri Oct 23, 2015 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
"May the Force be ever in your favor."
Effie-Wan Trinoby

If you happen to have a spare copy of the Midwinter artbook for sale, I'd be grateful if you let me know :D

That one day was a good one.
Atario

Post by Atario »

KyoAni will be making an anime of it too!
NB: none of the above is a request

Mutou Gets Fired — a little one-shot fanfic I wrote
Valjean Lafitte

Post by Valjean Lafitte »

Atario wrote:KyoAni will be making an anime of it too!
Sweet! I adore Haruhi and Lucky Star, so I really can't think of a studio I'd rather make the film :D

And hey, it's been a while since you last posted on the forums or sub. I missed you, man -- welcome back!
"I wonder what is it about the rain?"
"Everything."
Charmant

Post by Charmant »

:shock: Musthave.

Dunno about a KyoAni anime. Not a huge fan. :lol:
Atario

Post by Atario »

Valjean Lafitte wrote:
Sweet! I adore Haruhi and Lucky Star, so I really can't think of a studio I'd rather make the film :D
Samesies. Pretty much everything they touch turns to gold, so I'm glad they picked this up.
And hey, it's been a while since you last posted on the forums or sub. I missed you, man -- welcome back!
I never did stop here — it's just been a little dead lately, so I didn't have much to respond to…
NB: none of the above is a request

Mutou Gets Fired — a little one-shot fanfic I wrote
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

FeroxAnima wrote:
Although I found the ending to be quite underwhelming (an understatement, truly, but there have been fans with opinions not as harsh as mine), I do recommend this manga from the bottom of my heart and without a second thought. Been following it until it ended and it was truly wonderful, unforgettable, and unique. Certainly one of my favourites.
I was a bit disappointing that we had no big kiss scene at the end, but otherwise I really liked it.

Also I think an epilogue that takes place a few years later would have been nice and really fit in, since there's already a big time skip between when she first leaves school and when they meet again.
Not Dead Yet
FeroxAnima

Post by FeroxAnima »

Oddball wrote:
FeroxAnima wrote:
I was a bit disappointing that we had no big kiss scene at the end, but otherwise I really liked it.

Also I think an epilogue that takes place a few years later would have been nice and really fit in, since there's already a big time skip between when she first leaves school and when they meet again.
I certainly agree with both propositions. Either would've been a huge improvement in my eyes.

(Be warned: some of the following wall of text may pass as a spoiler to some. It doesn't really say much but you can deduce stuff out of it, probably.)

Well, the way I see it is that the ending simply avoided providing any form of climax. I may just be shallow but I really missed that kind of climatic moment. It felt like this series did an incredible job at getting me super ready for the final climatic moment that will channel all my accumulated feelings for the series and its characters into a smile on my face that would remain for hours, and then... nothing. It was a happy ending, and I was happy for the characters, but I don't remember it feeling significantly happier than the average "happy chapter". (I wouldn't have felt satisfied if the series ended abruptly in any of those previous happy ones; it's in a similar vein that I can't feel very satisfied with this ending, either.) It didn't have to be a big kiss scene (although don't get me wrong, that would certainly be more than enough :lol:), but I just wanted there to be... something. And it kinda felt to me like there wasn't.

It's not that I'm against open endings, there have been some open endings that I truly loved; but this ending feels like it wasn't exactly an open ending, while it also wasn't exactly not an open ending, and... it just didn't work well, for me. Rather than make me feel that I was happy enough with the state of things to accept an ending that says "and things went on like this"/"and things went on from here", or even rather than make me feel like I simply want more (which would also be good), I was just left feeling like... there wasn't enough. As in, it wasn't a positive feeling of "I want more", but rather it was a negative feeling of "that wasn't enough".

...Like the difference between a satisfying quickie which leaves you looking forward for more, and just a prematurely-interrupted intercourse in which you must stop before finishing and you're left cursing your fate in agony. (Note: I'm a virgin through and through, so this may actually be ridiculously far from the truth. This was what my brain threw at me, though, so please bear with it.)

EDIT:
TFW you're tired and you find yourself trying to form your thoughts as sentences and failing again and again in doing so, which leads to the construction of a small wall of text which is essentially just you repeating the same things over and over again in different words, in hopes that you'd eventually get convinced that one of those repetitions was clear enough to get your thoughts through.
Now I can either go to sleep, or... stay awake, against all reason. That's an easy choice, of course.
Effie-Wan Trinoby

If you happen to have a spare copy of the Midwinter artbook for sale, I'd be grateful if you let me know :D

Oddball

Post by Oddball »

Yeah, there were a few places that I felt the story could have ended that would work better than that.

Honestly, I felt the real climax of the story was when he almost killed himself trying to prevent her suicide.
Not Dead Yet
FeroxAnima

Post by FeroxAnima »

Oddball wrote:Yeah, there were a few places that I felt the story could have ended that would work better than that.

Honestly, I felt the real climax of the story was when he almost killed himself trying to prevent her suicide.
Yup; an ending based more around that scenario is one example of a potentially far more satisfying conclusion, I think.
Effie-Wan Trinoby

catsighs

Post by catsighs »

oh man, my emotions are nowhere near ready
I remember when this was just a oneshot, I'm so pleased that it's really taken off!