The truth about Emi's first relationship.

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Well?

The boyfriend eventually became fed up and dumped Emi.
73%
Emi realized she was just wasting his time and broke up with him.
10%
The boyfriend lost his temper one day and beat up Emi. She proceeded to break off ties with him.
No votes
Emi cheated on him just to make the guy take a hint and get lost.
3%
The boy fell in love with another girl who treated him better, and dumped Emi.
5%
The boy was driven to such deep sorrow that he committed suicide.
3%
There was never an ex-boyfriend and Emi was just playing mind games to make Hisao jealous.
8%

Total votes: 40

Warwise

Re: The truth about Emi's first relationship.

Post by Warwise »

Xanatos wrote:
Warwise wrote:Yes, she has issues, but she works on them.
What game were you playing? She doesn't work on a damn thing. She just runs (often literally) from it all the time.
Look at Hanako. Now look at Emi. Now look at Hanako again. Now look back at Emi.

Yes, Emi works on her issues. They are not perfect yet, but she tries.
YZQ

Post by YZQ »

Hanako's more of a resigned acceptance, if you ask me.
"Nothing is beneath man. Everything is permitted."

"...since love and fear can hardly exist together, if we must choose between them, it is far safer to be feared than loved. However, it is important above all to avoid being hated."
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

Warwise wrote:Yes, Emi works on her issues. They are not perfect yet, but she tries.
No, she doesn't. The entire conflict in her route is that she doesn't work on them. She deliberately avoids acknowledging them wherever possible. She ignores the limitations put upon her by her physical issues (and ends up in a wheelchair for the effort) and refuses to ever even try handling her emotional issues (and ends up losing one companion for her trouble, two if you get the bad end and she leaves Hisao). The only work she does is in the good end when she finally moves past it.

As Hanako sees it, it's everyone else who has an issue with her, whether it's contempt or a need to fix her. That's what her life has taught her and she's resigned to it because she can't work on that. You can't just "work on" everyone you've known suddenly hating you for no fault of your own. And when years of that contempt forcibly warps your perception of people, you can't just "work on" that either. Her experiences taught her that people are no good and you don't just unlearn that unless you somehow destroy the memory. Her issues required an outsider's aid one way or the other because her own view has been horrendously skewed by her trauma. And she did attempt to work on her problems. She went to therapy. It just didn't help.

Emi isn't resigned to being damaged goods. Emi's issues did not require outside assistance. She didn't attempt to fix things and fail. She's just running from it, pure and simple, because she is irrationally afraid and does not want to risk confronting that.
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
<KeiichiO>: "That's a beautiful response to chocolate."
YZQ

Post by YZQ »

Hanako didn't receive the memo which said that it is ok not to seek the approval of others. Just do what you want to do.

"...since love and fear can hardly exist together, if we must choose between them, it is far safer to be feared than loved. However, it is important above all to avoid being hated."
Guest Poster

Post by Guest Poster »

Xanatos wrote:
Warwise wrote:Yes, Emi works on her issues. They are not perfect yet, but she tries.
No, she doesn't. The entire conflict in her route is that she doesn't work on them. She deliberately avoids acknowledging them wherever possible. She ignores the limitations put upon her by her physical issues (and ends up in a wheelchair for the effort) and refuses to ever even try handling her emotional issues (and ends up losing one companion for her trouble, two if you get the bad end and she leaves Hisao). The only work she does is in the good end when she finally moves past it.

As Hanako sees it, it's everyone else who has an issue with her, whether it's contempt or a need to fix her. That's what her life has taught her and she's resigned to it because she can't work on that. You can't just "work on" everyone you've known suddenly hating you for no fault of your own. And when years of that contempt forcibly warps your perception of people, you can't just "work on" that either. Her experiences taught her that people are no good and you don't just unlearn that unless you somehow destroy the memory. Her issues required an outsider's aid one way or the other because her own view has been horrendously skewed by her trauma. And she did attempt to work on her problems. She went to therapy. It just didn't help.

Emi isn't resigned to being damaged goods. Emi's issues did not require outside assistance. She didn't attempt to fix things and fail. She's just running from it, pure and simple, because she is irrationally afraid and does not want to risk confronting that.
Xanatos put it very well. If you look between Hanako and Emi, it's Hanako who's still putting in the effort to address her issues. She's still visiting a therapist each week. (for all we know, it might actually help with some of her problems...Hanako probably has nightmares just like Emi on occasion) Hanako also admits near the end that when Lilly and Hisao entered her life, she made an honest effort to try and trust them. Hanako knows she has issues and is still working on them as best as she can, despite their magnitude. Emi simply refuses to acknowledge those issues exist in the first place which hardly qualifies as working on them.
Sisterhood: True Edition. Hanako epilogue I wrote. Now expanded with additional chapters.
cassinova

Post by cassinova »

pandaphil wrote:
A Forum Member wrote:As I remember it, she clearly stated that he gave up on the relationship because Emi wouldn't let him get close to her. Same thing as with Hisao except Hisao didn't give up.
Pretty much how I saw it. Hisao was just more stubborn. :)
This is true, and I think that Emi dumped him, and not the other way around.

I don't think any other options are true because Emi said this while crying, and I doubt she would lie while crying as she did not in the past where she cried and talked about her problems, and her father and such.
Dr. Casey

Post by Dr. Casey »

Warwise wrote:Once you add pity to the mixture you dont really respect nor love the person.
Pity is often a bad quality in a relationship, but I wouldn't take things to this extreme. It might be condescending and insulting, but almost every relationship between two people has its blemishes, and I don't think pity is such an overpowering one that its existence nullifies the possibility of love or even respect (it's possible to pity someone for their weaknesses while respecting and admiring them for their strengths).

And while I largely agree with Xan's assessment, I got the impression that Emil tried working on her issues at times. I interpreted Emi bringing Hisao home to see her mother as an attempt to draw Hisao closer, that she understood herself that she needed to change and was attempting to go against her aversion to emotional intimacy. She was adamant against others aiding in the healing process, but she did make some amount of effort to work things out inside her head on her own... but yeah, her primary method of handling her feelings was running away from her problems rather than confronting them, and I do think Hanako handled things more maturely in that she gave more consideration to the feelings of the people around her, wheras Emi gave almost none.
YZQ

Post by YZQ »

Hanako's problem is that she gives TOO MUCH consideration to those around her and not enough to herself.

Oddball

Post by Oddball »

YZQ wrote:Hanako didn't receive the memo which said that it is ok not to seek the approval of others. Just do what you want to do.
To an extent Hanako does. She's mentioned that she just kept doing the things she liked doing before the accident, but that's not much comfort when everyone she meets either looks down on her or turns away in disgust.
Not Dead Yet
pandaphil

Post by pandaphil »

YZQ wrote:Hanako's problem is that she gives TOO MUCH consideration to those around her and not enough to herself.

Thats the problem when you're picked on too much early in life. You end up letting other people determine your self-esteem for you. Since everyone tells you you're ugly and worthless, its probably true. Any shred of self-worth you might have is obviously wrong because you're too dumb to know better.

And just because you may believe what they say, it doesn't mean you don't end up hating them for it.

Add to that a lack any sort of parental our emotional support system, and its a recipe for disaster.
Last edited by pandaphil on Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant." ~ The Doctor.
YZQ

Post by YZQ »

"If you repeat a lie often enough, it becomes the truth." - misattributed to the master of propaganda, Joseph Goebbels himself. But, it's good enough.

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

Dr. Casey wrote:I interpreted Emi bringing Hisao home to see her mother as an attempt to draw Hisao closer...
That doesn't really make much sense when you consider that she either throws his ass out or gets all pissed off so that he gets uncomfortable and leaves of his own accord. :lol:
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
YZQ

Post by YZQ »

That was Emi's "initial" plan. All bets are off after Hisao starts his asking.

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

YZQ wrote:That was Emi's "initial" plan. All bets are off after Hisao starts his asking.
"I'm gonna invite Hisao to dinner to get closer to him then throw him out when he tries to get closer to me."

Emi is a shitty planner.
YZQ

Post by YZQ »

Tell me about it. There are so many times I could snark at the misplaced bravado. If the girl ever meets Hannibal Lecter, he'll break her more easily than a hot knife cuts through butter.