If Hanako's scars looked like this...

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Xanatos

Re: If Hanako's scars looked like this...

Post by Xanatos »

I keep confusing India for Indonesia and then all I can think of is this guy.

And yeah, articles love to exaggerate for a point. Worst-case scenarios work best for that. I'd still say Hanako's case was more an issue of expanse rather than severity of the actual burns.
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
<KeiichiO>: "That's a beautiful response to chocolate."
win746

Post by win746 »

Xanatos wrote:I keep confusing India for Indonesia and then all I can think of is this guy.

And yeah, articles love to exaggerate for a point. Worst-case scenarios work best for that. I'd still say Hanako's case was more an issue of expanse rather than severity of the actual burns.
Oh gosh, what happened to him?

Exaggeration works best when they're trying to get a point a crossed, there's other less severe examples on google images which could be related to how Hanako's scars look like in real life.
Katie wrote:I hate men
This board is being invaded by feminists, spread the word!
muliebrity

Post by muliebrity »

I believe that's a guy with elephantiasis?

The thing is, the point they're trying to get across isn't that those scars are horrible, but that they have healed very well. I'm afraid the exaggeration angle is a dead end, here.
<Xanatos>: Most certainly, matriarch appreciator.
My hobby: taking Xan quotes out of context.
Unorthodox KS Fanart
I loved every minute of KS, every route.
Shironeko

Post by Shironeko »

win746 wrote:
Xanatos wrote:I keep confusing India for Indonesia and then all I can think of is this guy.

Exaggeration works best when they're trying to get a point a crossed, there's other less severe examples on google images which could be related to how Hanako's scars look like in real life.
http://www.registerednursern.com/a-guy- ... -tree-man/

Not sure what the disease is called, so hopefully they say something about it there.
muliebrity

Post by muliebrity »

Shironeko wrote:Not sure what the disease is called, so hopefully they say something about it there.
According to the link, those are warts due to infection by the human papillomavirus (HPV). Internet says that he has a rare autosomal recessive genetic defect that makes him particularly susceptible to infection by HPV. It's called epidermodysplasia verruciformis. interesting.

What's Hanako whining about, anyway?
Unorthodox KS Fanart
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

win746 wrote:

Insofar as Google tells me, it was simple HPV (which can cause warts) and some rare immunodeficiency that caused it to balloon and spiral utterly out of control. All from scraping his knee in a forest once...He was getting treated by a doctor over here but some fiasco or another and now they don't want him leaving Indonesia (where what he needs is not readily available) or vice versa. Worry he might become a 'medical experiment'...Better than a tree man. He can't work. He used to farm and work on houses. The guy can't hold a glass of water now. He can't bathe himself. He's got tens of pounds of added weight from the growths. I'd welcome experiments.

And yes, Google has examples of Hanako's scarring...But I can never stomach the worst ones to locate them. She's healed very well though. I'd like to see how she looked immediately after the accident, just for comparison. It could have made for a powerful scene in-game, a flashback or something...
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
Brisingr

Post by Brisingr »

I must be desensitized to this kind of stuff because I'd still be fine with a girl that had burns like those. I will admit, it would take a little while to get used to them but I could easily look past bad scaring to the person inside. Hell, I even have a zipper-scar on my chest just like Hisao and more besides that. If I can accept scaring on myself, I can accept it on somebody else.
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

Brisingr wrote:I must be desensitized to this kind of stuff because I'd still be fine with a girl that had burns like those. I will admit, it would take a little while to get used to them but I could easily look past bad scaring to the person inside. Hell, I even have a zipper-scar on my chest just like Hisao and more besides that. If I can accept scaring on myself, I can accept it on somebody else.
Desensitized? Nah, it's just really not that bad. :lol: Easy enough to look past, given adjustment time. Now, if they've got no ears and they've turned pink, that's different...
pandaphil

Post by pandaphil »

It wouldn't be the burns that bother me, but imagining the pain and trauma she had to go through to get them. :(

I guess I'm just empathetic that way.
Last edited by pandaphil on Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant." ~ The Doctor.
Selim Bradley

Post by Selim Bradley »

There's many factors to consider in this:

1. Fire's unpredictabilty. Set two fires in identical circumstances, and they'll act completely different. That's why every burn is unique, because every fire is unique.

2. Mother's sacrifice. This lowered the intensity of the flames that Hanako herself experienced in the blaze, hence why only on her right side but could also have lead to other abnormalities to the burns themselves. For example, perhaps her hair/ear were covered hence why they are untouched.

3. Surgery. When tended to in the hospital, burn victims receive skin graphs in order to prevent infection, lessen scarring, etc. The doctor's she went to could've been above average for a few reasons, and could've led to Hanako regaining her right eyebrow from hair in her left or something similar.

4. Time. Hanako received her burns when she was 8, and now is 18. The scars, while still very noticable, will lessen in intensityafter that time. Even more so because she was a child. Those 10 years inbetween the event and the present involve so much physical development that the burns would be stretched as her body was, so their impact would be lessened because the same amount of burns are now placed over a few times the area as when received.
I am the male version of Hanako Ikezawa.
muliebrity

Post by muliebrity »

Xanatos wrote:I'd like to see how she looked immediately after the accident, just for comparison. It could have made for a powerful scene in-game, a flashback or something...
Oh I am so making that happen once I finish the Adventure Time/KS crossover.
Brisingr wrote:I must be desensitized to this kind of stuff because I'd still be fine with a girl that had burns like those.
Nah, I think most of us feel that way. That seems to be the consensus: they aren't that bad and Hanako's being a big baby about it.
Hell, I even have a zipper-scar on my chest just like Hisao and more besides that.
Why's that?
Selim Bradley wrote:1. Fire's unpredictabilty.
Yes, but severe burns are severe burns. Those can only heal so well, and they'll all cause skin contracture.
3. Surgery.
The image linked in the OP is post surgery and convalescence. Also, even full thickness skin grafts can't renew hair growth, according to all of the derm surgery journals I've looked at.
4. Time.
I would think that the rapid skin growth in a growing child would make the contracture problem worse and lead to stretch marks (maybe that's what a lot of those marks are!), the scar tissue doesn't just go away because new skin is growing. Tattoos are permanent because they are scars.
Unorthodox KS Fanart
Steinherz

Post by Steinherz »

muliebrity wrote:
4. Time.
I would think that the rapid skin growth in a growing child would make the contracture problem worse and lead to stretch marks (maybe that's what a lot of those marks are!), the scar tissue doesn't just go away because new skin is growing. Tattoos are permanent because they are scars.
You can get tattoos removed however.
I write take a look, would you kindly?
I also draw, kind of.
KeiichiO wrote:You shall now, and forever be known as, "Steinherz, The Great".
Oddball wrote:It's an obvious mistake. Both are disfigured orphans that read alot and both wear green skirts.
Selim Bradley

Post by Selim Bradley »

muliebrity wrote:
Selim Bradley wrote:1. Fire's unpredictabilty.
Yes, but severe burns are severe burns. Those can only heal so well, and they'll all cause skin contracture.
Don't have to tell me that.
muliebrity wrote:
3. Surgery.
The image linked in the OP is post surgery and convalescence. Also, even full thickness skin grafts can't renew hair growth, according to all of the derm surgery journals I've looked at.
Really? Must've been lucky I guess, or burn wasn't as bad there as other places perhaps.
muliebrity wrote:
4. Time.
I agree. The wavy patterns you see on her sprite are most likely the stretch marks on the scar tissue. I didn't mean they'd go away, just it wouldn't look like Day 1 forever.
I am the male version of Hanako Ikezawa.
muliebrity

Post by muliebrity »

Steinherz wrote:You can get tattoos removed however.
True, but to be fair they are very superficial scars.
Selim Bradley wrote:I agree. The wavy patterns you see on her sprite are most likely the stretch marks on the scar tissue. I didn't mean they'd go away, just it wouldn't look like Day 1 forever.
Yeah, certainly not.
Unorthodox KS Fanart
Brisingr

Post by Brisingr »

muliebrity wrote:
Brisingr wrote:Hell, I even have a zipper-scar on my chest just like Hisao and more besides that.
Why's that?
Multiple birth defects and 2 elected repair surgeries. I was born with Tetralogy of Fallot and Craniosynostosis which have left behind a 6 in chest scar and a 5 inch scar on my head which is covered by my hair. Both have been completely repaired before I was even old enough to have a memory of them and nobody would notice if they saw me walking down the street. I also elected to have my bunions repaired which was painful for about a week for each foot but recovery went smoothly. Those surgeries left a good 3-4 inch scar on each foot. In all, I have 6 scars and nobody would ever notice if I didn't tell them in every day conversation.