So, is Hanako a Nerd?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Dr. Casey

Re: So, is Hanako a Nerd?

Post by Dr. Casey »

YZQ wrote:Again, she probably doesn't have the money for the handheld. Or worse, the bullies snatched it from her and refused to give it back.
We could always say that one of the orphanage caretakers bought her a used Gameboy for Christmas, or something. The fire took place around 1996 or 1997, so the Gameboy was old and probably getting inexpensive by that point.
YZQ

Post by YZQ »

Hanako playing an old Gameboy. It's... sad, at some level.
"Nothing is beneath man. Everything is permitted."

"...since love and fear can hardly exist together, if we must choose between them, it is far safer to be feared than loved. However, it is important above all to avoid being hated."
Umber

Post by Umber »

YZQ wrote:Hanako playing an old Gameboy. It's... sad, at some level.
A lot of things are sad at a Hanako-level.

That's just Hanako's essence. Sad, or cute. She's an ad'awable, traumatized ball of socially quiet.
-An occasional art thread.
pig dissections and cadaver examinations.
KeiichiO

Post by KeiichiO »

Umber wrote:A lot of things are sad at a Hanako-level.

That's just Hanako's essence. Sad, or cute. She's an ad'awable, traumatized ball of socially quiet.
Strangely worded, but that's Hanako in a nutshell right there. I'm not even going to attempt at explaining Hanako's personality to people, I'm just going to use this peculiar quote to get the job done.
YZQ

Post by YZQ »

Add a bit of fury while we're at it.

"...since love and fear can hardly exist together, if we must choose between them, it is far safer to be feared than loved. However, it is important above all to avoid being hated."
pandaphil

Post by pandaphil »

Owning a Gameboy in the early 2000's doesn't sound so bad. Hell my friend gave me her old one around then. Its still perfectly fine for stuff like Yoshi's Cookies, Tetris, etc.

And there are nerds besides gamer nerds. :)
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant." ~ The Doctor.
Warwise

Post by Warwise »

Hanako existance is just sad over all. She usualy does bad at school, so that means she usualy dont even have the strengh to study properly. She has no games in her room besides chess, which she plays with a few people. She skip class a lot too, which means she has even more time. So, in the end, it looks like she just spend most of her time either reading or being alone in her room thinking about all the bad shit that hapened with her.
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

Warwise wrote:Hanako existance is just sad over all. She usualy does bad at school, so that means she usualy dont even have the strengh to study properly. She has no games in her room besides chess, which she plays with a few people. She skip class a lot too, which means she has even more time. So, in the end, it looks like she just spend most of her time either reading or being alone in her room thinking about all the bad shit that happened with her.
If she does bad at school, it's because she never attends class but I recall it being said she actually did rather well.

She enjoys chess and reading so I don't see the sadness in that...Being alone isn't always being lonely.
Last edited by Xanatos on Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
<KeiichiO>: "That's a beautiful response to chocolate."
pandaphil

Post by pandaphil »

Warwise wrote:Hanako existance is just sad over all. She usualy does bad at school, so that means she usualy dont even have the strengh to study properly. She has no games in her room besides chess, which she plays with a few people. She skip class a lot too, which means she has even more time. So, in the end, it looks like she just spend most of her time either reading or being alone in her room thinking about all the bad shit that hapened with her.
Actually if I recall (maybe it was in Lilly's arc) it was said that Hanako does reasonably well at school. I'm sure they have allowances for doing make-up work.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant." ~ The Doctor.
muliebrity

Post by muliebrity »

I believe it was said that Hanako did well enough to get by, and a special mention was made that her performance was nothing special.
<Xanatos>: Most certainly, matriarch appreciator.
My hobby: taking Xan quotes out of context.
Unorthodox KS Fanart
I loved every minute of KS, every route.
YZQ

Post by YZQ »

Thus, you can imagine the grades she can get if she attends classes regularly... or have Lily as a tutor.

Also, skin is one of those human parts that we don't have a good artifical substitute for. Same for blood and other stuff. (This was for the "appearance of scars" discussion somewhere else.)
Last edited by YZQ on Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pandaphil

Post by pandaphil »

YZQ wrote:Thus, you can imagine the grades she can get if she attends classes regularly... or have Lily as a tutor.

Also, skin is one of those human parts that we don't have a good artifical substitute for. Same for blood and other stuff.
And her attendance was improving with Hisao's help.
Guest Poster

Post by Guest Poster »

Actually if I recall (maybe it was in Lilly's arc) it was said that Hanako does reasonably well at school. I'm sure they have allowances for doing make-up work.
In Hanako's route, Mutou says she's not a star pupil, but she still does well enough for the school to put up with her frequent absence from class. Unlike Hisao (who's a science buff but extremely bad at English) or Lilly (who's an English ace but apparantly sucks at science and math) Hanako doesn't seem to have any subjects she's extremely good at, nor any she's extremely bad at. Whenever Hisao asks her about how she did on this or that test, she usually says something like "not too bad". In a way, Hanako being a completely average student suits her...even her grades seem geared toward not attracting attention of any kind, be it good or bad.

Of course, the fact that she neither excels nor sucks at anything makes it that much harder for her to decide what to do after Yamaku.
Sisterhood: True Edition. Hanako epilogue I wrote. Now expanded with additional chapters.
pandaphil

Post by pandaphil »

I'm thinking with her voracious reading habit, and her interest in the school paper in Lilly's arc, she'd get into Journalism or Literature; possibly in an internet publishing field of some kind where she could stay at home and send in her work online.
Dream

Post by Dream »

pandaphil wrote:I'm thinking with her voracious reading habit, and her interest in the school paper in Lilly's arc, she'd get into Journalism or Literature; possibly in an internet publishing field of some kind where she could stay at home and send in her work online.
I'm not sure if that would be a good idea...
"It is not reason, more or less furnished, but will that makes the world march"

"Unfortunately, if you can think of something really stupid, someone out there probably believes it." -Xanatos