So, is Hanako a Nerd?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

SpecimenSix

Re: So, is Hanako a Nerd?

Post by SpecimenSix »

Umber wrote:
pandaphil wrote:How about "She has nerd-like tendencies"?
Which is a lot more common than one might expect. Should we define it as semi-nerd, semi-meh?
If there is one thing I learned from watching Revenge of the Nerds and the sequels is that there's a little bit of nerd in all of us. :P

Especially that one jock's girlfriend. :lol:
I am bad, and that's good. I will never be good, and that's not bad. There is no one I would rather be than me.
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

I really doubt Hanako was a gamer simply because she never would have had the chance to develop that interest. One of the reasons why she liked reading was because people left her alone when she read. I believe that if the orphanage had any sort of game system, it would see some pretty heavy usage and we all know that if there are people around, that's not where Hanako prefer to be.

She does play games though, we know she likes chess, has interest in pool, and more than likely enjoys other board games as well, but there some pretty big differences between those and videogames. The games she does play, she gets to interact directly with people on an even level. When she plays chess, she's not hiding behind a screen or anything, people are looking and interacting with her directly and it doesn't matter what she looks like for a brief moment. For that short period of time, she's an equal.
Not Dead Yet
YZQ

Post by YZQ »

I would think that money is the main reason why she's not a gamer. In most MMOs, people will treat you as an equal as long as you pull your weight in your role. Heck, when even a blind gamer can pull his weight in WoW as part of a raiding guild, I think there's not much else to be said. No doubt, he had a guide and his guild was very supportive.
"Nothing is beneath man. Everything is permitted."

"...since love and fear can hardly exist together, if we must choose between them, it is far safer to be feared than loved. However, it is important above all to avoid being hated."
Steinherz

Post by Steinherz »

YZQ wrote:I would think that money is the main reason why she's not a gamer. In most MMOs, people will treat you as an equal as long as you pull your weight in your role. Heck, when even a blind gamer can pull his weight in WoW as part of a raiding guild, I think there's not much else to be said.
That is perfectly true. You're an equal if you can do your shit, and Hanako strikes me as the person who if they play a video game they try their hardest.
Then again, one of the best players of Mortal Kombat in the world is completely blind. so yeah, there's that :lol:
I write take a look, would you kindly?
I also draw, kind of.
KeiichiO wrote:You shall now, and forever be known as, "Steinherz, The Great".
Oddball wrote:It's an obvious mistake. Both are disfigured orphans that read alot and both wear green skirts.
YZQ

Post by YZQ »

I'm curious on how Hanako will take flames from the group when she's still a raid newbie. Will she take them personally or will she be able to tell that they're complaining about how she plays the game and it's not aimed at her?

"...since love and fear can hardly exist together, if we must choose between them, it is far safer to be feared than loved. However, it is important above all to avoid being hated."
Sk3tch

Post by Sk3tch »

Steinherz wrote: Then again, one of the best players of Mortal Kombat in the world is completely blind. so yeah, there's that :lol:
Wait seriously? I want to see that, is there a video somewhere?
Emi Couch to 5k : W4D1 Completed
YZQ

Post by YZQ »

Did some searching. Apparently, his name is Brice Mellen.

Warwise

Post by Warwise »

Dr. Casey wrote:
win746 wrote:Her house fire and her parent's deaths was caused by arsonists, or burglars accidently set the house on fire. She then vows to protect Yamaku and Japan as its dark knight.

But on topic, I already pictured her as something like that. In fact, there are fan arts of that.

-pic-
That feel when you will never be flamed by Hanako over a message board.

I hate to use the word 'nerdy' to describe a person because it's always been a word that overly judgmental dumbnuts tend to use (and I think it's generally douchey to say something hateful towards someone for traits that are benign and not at all malevolent), but I think of the term of being more related to an awkward personality than hobbies. Hideaki would be closer to the term than Hanako, who's not at all socially awkward when talking to someone she's comfortable with. She's the closest example Katawa Shoujo offers aside from Hideaki, though, considering that Lilly, Shizune, and especially Emi are total normalfags. :lol:
What?

Being nerd nowadays is cool lol.

And not only she doesnt have a TV or computer, but she also doesnt look like she uses her cell phone to play.
Steinherz

Post by Steinherz »

Warwise wrote:What?

Being nerd nowadays is cool lol.

And not only she doesnt have a TV or computer, but she also doesnt look like she uses her cell phone to play.
You are all forgetting one giant thing:
Katawa Shoujo takes place in 2007. So I doubt Hanako would be playing many games on her cell phone :lol:
I write take a look, would you kindly?
I also draw, kind of.
KeiichiO wrote:You shall now, and forever be known as, "Steinherz, The Great".
Oddball wrote:It's an obvious mistake. Both are disfigured orphans that read alot and both wear green skirts.
Dr. Casey

Post by Dr. Casey »

Oddball wrote:I really doubt Hanako was a gamer simply because she never would have had the chance to develop that interest. One of the reasons why she liked reading was because people left her alone when she read. I believe that if the orphanage had any sort of game system, it would see some pretty heavy usage and we all know that if there are people around, that's not where Hanako prefer to be.
Good point, though I guess she could have gotten a Gameboy somehow during her years at the orphanage; that she would be able to enjoy in privacy.
YZQ

Post by YZQ »

Again, she probably doesn't have the money for the handheld. Or worse, the bullies snatched it from her and refused to give it back.

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

YZQ wrote:I'm curious on how Hanako will take flames from the group...
AHEM!
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
<KeiichiO>: "That's a beautiful response to chocolate."
YZQ

Post by YZQ »

I know. It's perfectly intentional.

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

YZQ wrote:I know. It's perfectly intentional.
Sicko. All she ever wanted was chocolate. :(

Anyway, she likely didn't have the privilege at the orphanage but I could see Hanako enjoying video games as long as she could do it alone. She'd rise up in the ranks and inevitably develop a crazed power lust that would ultimately lead to the end of the world...of Warcraft.
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
<KeiichiO>: "That's a beautiful response to chocolate."
YZQ

Post by YZQ »

WoW is not that big in Japan. All the better for her to be sure that she will not be recognised by people she might know in RL.

I can totally imagine her first luxury item after she starts work: a computer + broadband.