Forgetting about the 'Katawa' part

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters
User avatar
Dream
Posts: 632
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:05 am

Re: Forgetting about the 'Katawa' part

Post by Dream » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:04 am

Now, however I have a much different view on discussing topics in general. Whereas before to me discussion was a means to come to the best result possible, "getting to the truth of the matter" as it were. But now, simply put, I see discussion as an opportunity to have my mind changed, you lose half of the fun when you have to go back and just read a discussion between two different people, and I would say you learn a lot more by being able to participate.
And why do you think you need to be personally involved in a discussion to learn something from it? The only way you would "learn a lot more by being able to participate" is if you have actually something to contribute in the first place, and you won't get that by just posting for the sake of posting. And for the type of forum this place is it is getting near to blazing, at least in shitposting.

@Auratus: Your declaration that the forum would die if there wasn't shitposting is as baseless as it is presumptious. I see no reason why that would happen and you haven't provided any, do you expect to be taken seriously?

Sorry for saying this, but my head is hurting at the level of stupid i've been seeing here as of late.

Now for something ligther...
Xanatos wrote:Yes but many miss that point. Thankfully most who miss it don't bother finding this place.
Wait... There is people who actually think that?

Fuck.
"It is not reason, more or less furnished, but will that makes the world march"

"Unfortunately, if you can think of something really stupid, someone out there probably believes it." -Xanatos

CreedKeeper25
Posts: 34
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:35 pm

Re: Forgetting about the 'Katawa' part

Post by CreedKeeper25 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:53 am

Brisingr wrote:
pandaphil wrote:*sigh* I know I've been guilty of posting way to much. Sorry guys.
If you post stuff you think is worth mentioning then you shouldn't feel guilty about posting too much. I tend not to post much because others tend to post what I already think on a topic so I just sit back and read other posts.
^This basically sums up the way I use the forum. I don't always have time to check regularly so when I think up a post, it's usualły already been said. Not to mention I've only finished 2 routes so I feel like I don't have much to contribute
SpecimenSix wrote:And not crying when you read KS doesn't mean you're a man. It means you have no soul. :lol:
Hanabro

User avatar
BananaPudding
Posts: 104
Joined: Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:12 pm

Re: Forgetting about the 'Katawa' part

Post by BananaPudding » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:04 am

Dream wrote:And why do you think you need to be personally involved in a discussion to learn something from it? The only way you would "learn a lot more by being able to participate" is if you have actually something to contribute in the first place, and you won't get that by just posting for the sake of posting. And for the type of forum this place is it is getting near to blazing, at least in shitposting.
I wouldn't say that you "need" to be part of a discussion to learn something from it, it just personally helps me. I find that often when I read discussions between others (especially on forums) I think of something very close to the topic but that hasn't been brought up yet, or I will disagree with one side, but the other side will be presenting things in a completely different way than I would personally.

as for the blazing speed I guess I'm just used to 4chan :b
Completion order: Emi->Lily->Shizune->Hanako->Rin
Feels order: Emi->lily/Hanako->Rin->Shizune

User avatar
Xanatos
Posts: 5365
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:40 pm

Re: Forgetting about the 'Katawa' part

Post by Xanatos » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:24 pm

Dream wrote:Wait... There is people who actually think that?

Fuck.
Unfortunately, if you can think of something really stupid, someone out there probably believes it. Early on and even now, KS gets shit for being about "fucking cripples" not because of the fucking (seriously, there's a whole genre of fucking games and a good chunk of them are easily found by googling 'newgrounds') but because they're cripples. That somehow disgusts people.
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
<KeiichiO>: "That's a beautiful response to chocolate."

User avatar
pandaphil
Posts: 2149
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:54 am
Location: Seattle, WA
Contact:

Re: Forgetting about the 'Katawa' part

Post by pandaphil » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:46 pm

Xanatos wrote:
Dream wrote:Wait... There is people who actually think that?

Fuck.
Unfortunately, if you can think of something really stupid, someone out there probably believes it. Early on and even now, KS gets shit for being about "fucking cripples" not because of the fucking (seriously, there's a whole genre of fucking games and a good chunk of them are easily found by googling 'newgrounds') but because they're cripples. That somehow disgusts people.
I read a couple of political forums and yeah, people are that stupid. Thankfully in all my encounters with KS online, almost every review and message board post his been positive. Save one female reviewer who went off on some feminist rant.
I suspect if I encountered one of these 'fucking cripples' people, there'd be trouble. :evil:
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant." ~ The Doctor.

User avatar
Steinherz
Posts: 2095
Joined: Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:06 am
Location: New England

Re: Forgetting about the 'Katawa' part

Post by Steinherz » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:50 pm

pandaphil wrote: Save one female reviewer who went off on some feminist rant.
I suspect if I encountered one of these 'fucking cripples' people, there'd be trouble. :evil:
I'm guessing she read Kenji's comments a bit too much? :lol:
I'm thinking that's what'd happen for a lot of fans of KS :lol:
I write take a look, would you kindly?
I also draw, kind of.
KeiichiO wrote:You shall now, and forever be known as, "Steinherz, The Great".
Oddball wrote:It's an obvious mistake. Both are disfigured orphans that read alot and both wear green skirts.

User avatar
Xanatos
Posts: 5365
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:40 pm

Re: Forgetting about the 'Katawa' part

Post by Xanatos » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:57 pm

pandaphil wrote:
Xanatos wrote:
Dream wrote:Wait... There is people who actually think that?

Fuck.
Unfortunately, if you can think of something really stupid, someone out there probably believes it. Early on and even now, KS gets shit for being about "fucking cripples" not because of the fucking (seriously, there's a whole genre of fucking games and a good chunk of them are easily found by googling 'newgrounds') but because they're cripples. That somehow disgusts people.
I read a couple of political forums and yeah, people are that stupid. Thankfully in all my encounters with KS online, almost every review and message board post his been positive. Save one female reviewer who went off on some feminist rant.
I suspect if I encountered one of these 'fucking cripples' people, there'd be trouble. :evil:
Ugh, feminists...And that isn't a Kenji joke. I really cannot fucking stand those creatures.

But yeah, those people are out there...Some give it a shot and change their tone, thankfully, but some..."EW, YOU DATE CRIPPLES AND HAVE SEX, YOU SICKO!"

Apparently, we're all revolting abusive perverts for...Seeing cripples as people. People date and fuck, right? I mean, I've never done either because I'm hopelessly defective, but I'm sure it happens...
Last edited by Xanatos on Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
<KeiichiO>: "That's a beautiful response to chocolate."

User avatar
Hans PK
Posts: 63
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:51 am
Location: I'm trapped in your device please please help me oh god oh god

Re: Forgetting about the 'Katawa' part

Post by Hans PK » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:58 pm

pandaphil wrote: I suspect if I encountered one of these 'fucking cripples' people, there'd be trouble. :evil:
Only if they refused to convert and realize the righteousness of our cause.






I used to be one of those 'fucking cripples' people.
What is there left to say?

User avatar
BananaPudding
Posts: 104
Joined: Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:12 pm

Re: Forgetting about the 'Katawa' part

Post by BananaPudding » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:46 pm

Xanatos wrote:I've never done either because I'm hopelessly defective, but I'm sure it happens...
(forenote: if this quote was done in a joking manner please ignore me, I just know too many people who really think that)

it might be that I am still high on feels considering I am pretty new, but after seeing the meaning in this game can you honestly say something like "hopelessly defective"?
Completion order: Emi->Lily->Shizune->Hanako->Rin
Feels order: Emi->lily/Hanako->Rin->Shizune

User avatar
Xanatos
Posts: 5365
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:40 pm

Re: Forgetting about the 'Katawa' part

Post by Xanatos » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:48 pm

BananaPudding wrote:
Xanatos wrote:I've never done either because I'm hopelessly defective, but I'm sure it happens...
(forenote: if this quote was done in a joking manner please ignore me, I just know too many people who really think that)

it might be that I am still high on feels considering I am pretty new, but after seeing the meaning in this game can you honestly say something like "hopelessly defective"?
Yes I can. Maybe it's the fifteen or so years of contempt from without and within but my outlook can be quite bleak at times.
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
<KeiichiO>: "That's a beautiful response to chocolate."

Loonie
Posts: 250
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:00 pm
Location: Somewhere between Europe and the Balkans.

Re: Forgetting about the 'Katawa' part

Post by Loonie » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:01 pm

Xanatos wrote:
BananaPudding wrote:
Xanatos wrote:I've never done either because I'm hopelessly defective, but I'm sure it happens...
(forenote: if this quote was done in a joking manner please ignore me, I just know too many people who really think that)

it might be that I am still high on feels considering I am pretty new, but after seeing the meaning in this game can you honestly say something like "hopelessly defective"?
Yes I can. Maybe it's the fifteen or so years of contempt from without and within but my outlook can be quite bleak at times.
*hugs and pats head*

Sorry...just felt you needed that. :)

Anyway, a lot of people already summed up my thoughts on it all. For me, at the start I was mostly a bit intrigued rather than put off (yeah, I definitely have that whole 'I collect people' thing going that Rin said she has as well), but the more the story progressed the more it became as just another part of who that specific person was. By the time you get to the moments in the story, where their Katawa moments necessarily interject (like Emi in the wheelchair or Rin's...predicament...in the atelier), there really wasn't any thought about how weird it was - just a simple pragmatic one of 'How do we get around this particular problem?' Emi's in a wheelchair and needs to get to the bed, well...carry her. Rin needs a hand? Well... :roll: ...okay I admit - that one was the only instance of where I felt weirded out, but even there it could be a whole story unto itself as to how Rin percieved that moment vs. how Hisao unfortunately percieved it.

User avatar
Dream
Posts: 632
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:05 am

Re: Forgetting about the 'Katawa' part

Post by Dream » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:07 pm

Xanatos wrote:Yes I can. Maybe it's the fifteen or so years of contempt from without and within but my outlook can be quite bleak at times.
Yeah, with all the jokes and clever humour it's easy to forget that Xanatos seems to lead a rather bleak and desolate life IRL (No offense). It's not like he's the only one anyways, it's kinda interesting how such a cheery and beautiful game attracts so many people who haven't had a lot of nice things in their lives.

And on topic; No offense but i don't really get why is this even a problem, never had much problems with not looking at cripples offensively (somehow, now i remember a man i used to see around the market area, he only had stumps below the hips, and had to drag himself around somewhere. Felt rather bad for him, although that's more because the guy seeme he was likely homeless or almost there) nor did i really feel much of anything when i saw the first Yamaku students or go "Woah, you (don't) have legs!" so whenever this topics comes up i'm always a bit baffled.
"It is not reason, more or less furnished, but will that makes the world march"

"Unfortunately, if you can think of something really stupid, someone out there probably believes it." -Xanatos

User avatar
Xanatos
Posts: 5365
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:40 pm

Re: Forgetting about the 'Katawa' part

Post by Xanatos » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:58 pm

Dream wrote:
Xanatos wrote:Yes I can. Maybe it's the fifteen or so years of contempt from without and within but my outlook can be quite bleak at times.
Yeah, with all the jokes and clever humour it's easy to forget that Xanatos seems to lead a rather bleak and desolate life IRL (No offense). It's not like he's the only one anyways, it's kinda interesting how such a cheery and beautiful game attracts so many people who haven't had a lot of nice things in their lives.

And on topic; No offense but i don't really get why is this even a problem, never had much problems with not looking at cripples offensively (somehow, now i remember a man i used to see around the market area, he only had stumps below the hips, and had to drag himself around somewhere. Felt rather bad for him, although that's more because the guy seeme he was likely homeless or almost there) nor did i really feel much of anything when i saw the first Yamaku students or go "Woah, you (don't) have legs!" so whenever this topics comes up i'm always a bit baffled.
None taken. A little voice in my head tells me I'll be rambling at HBHC sometime soon. Dark times coming...I can always predict the worst of it.

As for the girls and their issues, meh. The biggest issue I had was during the shed scene, wondering if Emi has difficulty balancing herself with no legs.
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
<KeiichiO>: "That's a beautiful response to chocolate."

YZQ
Posts: 1290
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:21 am

Re: Forgetting about the 'Katawa' part

Post by YZQ » Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:07 am

As long as you're ok, we're ok. No point getting anxious when you're not.
"Nothing is beneath man. Everything is permitted."

"...since love and fear can hardly exist together, if we must choose between them, it is far safer to be feared than loved. However, it is important above all to avoid being hated."

cassinova
Posts: 20
Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:19 am

Re: Forgetting about the 'Katawa' part

Post by cassinova » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:39 am

This entire thread explains how I feel about the thread topic.

Post Reply