Do you have any disabled friends?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Shironeko

Do you have any disabled friends?

Post by Shironeko »

Part of what got me interested in Katawa Shoujo is a blind friend I have in real life. We've talked about her blindness before and it has shown me just how different the world is to her; for example, she can't even comprehend what colour is.

So one day friend of mine was talking about Katawa Shoujo and he joked about going for a blind girl, which caught my interest. So when I started I was hoping the blind girl in KS would be similar to her, but alas, her and Lilly are polar opposites both in personality and appearance. I'm still really glad I got into the game though and I can't imagine Lilly any other way. There were a few things I think could have been improved, but I was pleased to see many similarities between how Lilly handles her disability and how my friend does, which makes me think the writers must have done their research. Though I haven't played her path yet; I've only played Hanako's so far.

So what about you guys? Do you have any disabled friends and if so, how did it affect you playing Katawa Shoujo?
OtakuNinja

Re: Do you have any disabled friends?

Post by OtakuNinja »

Welcome. :)

I have a disabled acquaintence, but I finished KS before I met him.
Emibro, Hanabro, [Lilly Lover], Rin Kin, Feminist, Two-timer
(Passively working on my KS YouTube series. Someday...)
Steinherz

Post by Steinherz »

Do you mean disabled as in "physically" or "mentally"?
Physically the closest I can say is my cousin has asthma pretty badly.
Mentally, no but I seriously think that sometimes with my friends :lol: (all aboard the stupid ideas train)

and as OtakuNinja said, welcome. We hope you like your stay. Enjoy the buffet.
I write take a look, would you kindly?
I also draw, kind of.
KeiichiO wrote:You shall now, and forever be known as, "Steinherz, The Great".
Oddball wrote:It's an obvious mistake. Both are disfigured orphans that read alot and both wear green skirts.
NightlyShore

Post by NightlyShore »

My uni has some disabled student, one of them are my class mate, he is timied and have few reaction with the others due to his weak sight. Thus whenever there is group work I always work with him. I were respect him a lot until one day I found he cheat on our translation class homework, twice.(Cheat via Evil google translator). Because of him I had to do the double job, I was mad, but times passed by I forgive him.

And a Professor with Post-polio syndrome, I get along well with him. It's sad heard his story that 2 robbers attacked him when he studied in Spain, and theres are still @sshole in society discriminate disabled people.

Last week there were a charity selling event in my uni, you can get a lottery to win the prize in event's last day as long as you donat more than $10, as an gamble addicted, I spended $100 last week. At the last day of the event I won a protable electric charger, later I gift another blind student since I have no Smart phone/PSP/NDSL. But the main reason is before the lottery begin, one of them huging his guide dog and said: ¨Blacky...please let me won at least one prize!¨

Oh my, that's cute.
Umber

Post by Umber »

Met one person with prosthetic legs, during a marching band competition.

I had a substitute teacher who was blind in one eye (wouldn't tell us which, though).

That's about it.
-An occasional art thread.
pig dissections and cadaver examinations.
pandaphil

Post by pandaphil »

My best friend has been gradually losing her sight over the last few years and will probably be totally blind in another five. She generally uses a cane to get around, but still able to read and work at the computer normally. She can be a Shizune sometimes, but I still love her to death. :)
Last edited by pandaphil on Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant." ~ The Doctor.
Steinherz

Post by Steinherz »

pandaphil wrote: She can be a Shizune sometimes, but I still love her to death.
Is that your way of saying "she can be a stubborn bitch sometimes"? :lol:
It's good when people can learn to live with things they cannot control instead of a futile attempt of trying to change it XD
I also draw, kind of.
Oddball wrote:It's an obvious mistake. Both are disfigured orphans that read alot and both wear green skirts.
Sedinus

Post by Sedinus »

I do have close childhood friend with a prosthetic leg. Apparently she was diagnosed with cancer around 2005 and leg amputation was the only way for her to survive. I was utterly shocked when I saw her without hair and missing one whole limb. Despite all that she graduated, became a journalist, writes DMC/FF fanfics for a hobby and invites me over for a tea sometimes.

And all I got is AS.
Steinherz

Post by Steinherz »

Sedinus wrote:I do have close childhood friend with a prosthetic leg. Apparently she was diagnosed with cancer around 2005 and leg amputation was the only way for her to survive. I was utterly shocked when I saw her without hair and missing one whole limb. Despite all that she graduated, became a journalist, writes DMC/FF fanfics for a hobby and invites me over for a tea sometimes.

And all I got is AS.
I like that bit of information/uplifting story, but I have one question.
AS?
I also draw, kind of.
pandaphil

Post by pandaphil »

Steinherz wrote:
pandaphil wrote: She can be a Shizune sometimes, but I still love her to death.
Is that your way of saying "she can be a stubborn bitch sometimes"? :lol:
It's good when people can learn to live with things they cannot control instead of a futile attempt of trying to change it XD
Yeah, pretty much. :) She gives me shit when she thinks I'm slacking, or not living up to my potential. But shes very kind and and has helped me out a lot. Just don't ever piss her off.

She's married, has a nice house, two cats, and works as a contractor at Microsoft writing gaming articles and website stuff.

Sure she's cried, and admitted that she's scared to death about going blind. But after a few minutes she'll dry her eyes, and carry on.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant." ~ The Doctor.
Sedinus

Post by Sedinus »

Steinherz wrote: I like that bit of information/uplifting story, but I have one question.
AS?
I'm an aspie. I know that this is not a disability and I myself don't consider it as one, and neither do I use it as an excuse for anything. It's just... there. And it's not like "I got 1 of the symptoms dayum I have AS". I have nearly all of them.

However, some of my... Uh, acquaintances, think that AS equals retardation or schizophrenia. They actually believe that I might randmomly go nuts and punch them in the face for no reason whatsoever.
Steinherz

Post by Steinherz »

Sedinus wrote:I'm an aspie. I know that this is not a disability and I myself don't consider it as one, and neither do I use it as an excuse for anything. It's just... there. And it's not like "I got 1 of the symptoms dayum I have AS". I have nearly all of them.

However, some of my... Uh, acquaintances, think that AS equals retardation or schizophrenia. They actually believe that I might randmomly go nuts and punch them in the face for no reason whatsoever.
Asperger's doesn't equal that. I do randomly snap at people, but that's because I have a low tolerance for stupidity.
That and the autistic jokes get old, really quick :x

But likewise, I have nearly every single symptom (except I have empathy/emotions, although mine are much more volatile than a "normal" person's so there's that).
I also draw, kind of.
pandaphil

Post by pandaphil »

Steinherz wrote:
Sedinus wrote:I'm an aspie. I know that this is not a disability and I myself don't consider it as one, and neither do I use it as an excuse for anything. It's just... there. And it's not like "I got 1 of the symptoms dayum I have AS". I have nearly all of them.

Asperger's doesn't equal that. I do randomly snap at people, but that's because I have a low tolerance for stupidity.

But likewise, I have nearly every single symptom (except I have empathy/emotions, although mine are much more volatile than a "normal" person's so there's that).
We really need to educate people better about ailments like this.
Hans PK
Location: I'm trapped in your device please please help me oh god oh god

Post by Hans PK »

pandaphil wrote:
Steinherz wrote:

We really need to educate people better about ailments like this.
I've seen several books and websites on the subject —one of my teachers thought it would be hilarious to have the guy with AS do a research paper on AS— but they unfortunately seem to assume or imply that it can be "fixed". I wouldn't call it an ailment; it's a different mindset that you have to learn to live with.

On-topic, no, I think that the only two "disabled" people in this town are this girl in a wheelchair and a girl missing half of one of her arms, and I don't know either of them.
What is there left to say?
win746

Post by win746 »

Not exactly a friend, but an acquaintance. There was a person who was paralyzed all over his lower body in middle school. The school has multiple floors and no elevators, so someone had to carry him up the floors. Really nice person though, but it seems a bit hard to converse with, he was afraid or shy of people. Inevitably he needs to move to a better school with one floor or an elevator, so I didn't hear from him until next year. Bad ending here, his body gave out or something and he passed away in hospital after his body was more paralyzed.

I think that's it for physically disabled. I think some of my former classmates and friends have some sort of mental disorders, that or they just act stupid on purpose.
Katie wrote:I hate men
This board is being invaded by feminists, spread the word!