Have you dated someone like any KS character?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

mysterycycle

Re: Have you dated someone like any KS character?

Post by mysterycycle »

muliebrity wrote:
mysterycycle wrote:snip
That's a story of a kind I've heard before. I know a recently married couple with similar issues: the husband has confided in me that he doesn't find his wife terribly attractive. I don't get the impression that your fixation on NordicGirl could possibly have much to do with her, at this point, it sounds like you don't want what you have. It sounds really unpleasant, but I understand your reasoning. The wife in this couple I know isn't a knockout, no, but she is an incredible person. She's able to make friends effortlessly, she does volunteer work like crazy, she's incredibly intelligent and she's even a trained opera singer. Everyone who knows her loves her, including me and yes, her husband. Is that enough to hold a marriage together? I'm not sure, but I wish you luck.
My wife really is a very cool person, and I enjoy her company. We've been together ten years, so I'm hopeful that we're in it for the long haul. And based on the kinds of stories I've heard from my grandparents' generation, I think what we do have together is probably enough.
SemisoftCheese wrote:
mysterycycle wrote: It was at this time, in fact, that I discovered Katawa Shoujo. To say the least, playing it helped me a lot.
normally I have some sort of advice or tidbit to offer... but that sort of hit me straight to the heart. it's the worst kind of feeling, looking at what you can never touch. i guess all i can say is that life takes some twists and turns.

for what it's worth, i've got your back, mysterycycle.
Thank you. I really appreciate that. Sometimes just being able to talk about it to someone who sympathizes is enough to help, so thanks, both of you.
You are not alone, and you are not strange. You are you, and everyone has damage. Be the better person.
ImageImage
Couch to 5k with Emi: WD123 W2D123 W3D123 W4D123 W5D123 W6D123 W7D123 W8D123 W9D123
I'm making a Katawa Shoujo doujinshi!
My deviantArt
Silentcook
Carelessly Cooking You

Post by Silentcook »

<----Remember peeps, the "Hanako's Broken Hearts Club" thread is thataway.

A certain amount of overlap is to be expected, but yeah.
Shattering your dreams since '94. I also fought COVID in '20 and '21, and all I got was this lousy forum sig.

muliebrity

Post by muliebrity »

Silentcook wrote:<----Remember peeps, the "Hanako's Broken Hearts Club" thread is thataway.

A certain amount of overlap is to be expected, but yeah.
I wasn't going to say anything, but yeah, I apparently didn't communicate well enough that this thread was meant to be more about how such past experience affected you while reading KS, though to be fair, most posts have at least touched on that.
<Xanatos>: Most certainly, matriarch appreciator.
My hobby: taking Xan quotes out of context.
Unorthodox KS Fanart
I loved every minute of KS, every route.
mysterycycle

Post by mysterycycle »

Sorry about that, Silentcook. Yeah, big tangent.
You are not alone, and you are not strange. You are you, and everyone has damage. Be the better person.
ImageImage
Couch to 5k with Emi: WD123 W2D123 W3D123 W4D123 W5D123 W6D123 W7D123 W8D123 W9D123
I'm making a Katawa Shoujo doujinshi!
My deviantArt
Ultima01

Post by Ultima01 »

I don't think I've ever dated someone like that. I've known a few people who were blind, and at least one person who was deaf, but none of the personalities fit any of the girls from KS. I would say that I, however, am something of a Rin. I can't really understand people. I don't know what it is.
BananaPudding

Post by BananaPudding »

I was going to say no, but now that I think about it, the girl I dated in high school was sort of similar to Emi, at least on the surface. Best phrase would probably be hyperactive but adorable.
Completion order: Emi->Lily->Shizune->Hanako->Rin
Feels order: Emi->lily/Hanako->Rin->Shizune
Treelor

Post by Treelor »

In terms of personality, no. However, Hisao's relationship with Emi shared an usual amount of parallels with myself and my most recent ex-girlfriend.

Most notably, how driven and forward-looking she was, retaining her air of mystery, her being my first sexual partner. Being entirely unable to shake the feeling she's got more "life" behind her than me. I wanted to get closer to her, too. Unfortunately, I was the type to take it more seriously than she, but when she made it clear to me that she had less of an investment than I did, I dropped it entirely.

I don't think I made the wrong decision, though. Not all good endings are happy.
gRaViJa

Post by gRaViJa »

About 5 years ago, I dated a girl who was rather small, really into sports, cheery on the outside but she also had problems she wouldn't share except on a night when she was drunk, started crying and told me about it. Also, one day she fell down while rock climbing and she had so use a wheelchair for a while :p
Emi's Couch to 5k
Completed!
6k personal record: 29m07
5k personal record: 27m48
1 mile personal record: 6m59

100 push-up challenge
Week 7: 25/25/25/25
Pascalla

Post by Pascalla »

Errr I have a lot of friends that are the opposite of Kenji (with the feminist thing), and err...sorry that's all I've got.
Never dated anyone and I've never really had close relations with anyone that's like a Katawa Shoujo character. o:
ImageViolently sob as you begin to nod at some of the things that Kenji is saying.Image
Nekken

Post by Nekken »

For me, it depends on how you define "like a KS character." The one I find to be like my Lilly wasn't actually blind, and while the KS characters are not defined by their disabilities (that would be missing the point of the game), they do carry importance. She did have a disability of sorts (though I say "of sorts" because I'm not sure it would meet everyone's definition), and like Lilly, it didn't affect her appearance. Polite when the need arose, motherly and caring to a fault, academically-oriented (she even wanted to teach a foreign language), and back on the subject of appearance, they even looked similar.

Then the long-distance relationship came. We'd been together for two years before then, and for six brutal years afterward. A long-distance relationship will tear you apart like little else can. But long-distance relationships end. It's basically inevitable, and we were no different as far as that goes. In our case, it happened when we got married, so the distance was no longer a factor. We're still happily married to this day, with no end in sight. Good ending FTW. And I tell you, man, never again with the distance thing. Never. Farking. AGAIN. Once was more than enough.

Did this make Lilly less of a compelling character for me? Not at all; quite the opposite, in fact. But I suspect that Lilly is something of an odd case: actually knowing someone like her humanizes her in a way that the other characters don't need quite so much.
Falling in love is a volcano. Being in love is a kotatsu.
BananaPudding

Post by BananaPudding »

Nekken wrote:For me, it depends on how you define "like a KS character." The one I find to be like my Lilly wasn't actually blind, and while the KS characters are not defined by their disabilities (that would be missing the point of the game), they do carry importance. She did have a disability of sorts (though I say "of sorts" because I'm not sure it would meet everyone's definition), and like Lilly, it didn't affect her appearance. Polite when the need arose, motherly and caring to a fault, academically-oriented (she even wanted to teach a foreign language), and back on the subject of appearance, they even looked similar.

Then the long-distance relationship came. We'd been together for two years before then, and for six brutal years afterward. A long-distance relationship will tear you apart like little else can. But long-distance relationships end. It's basically inevitable, and we were no different as far as that goes. In our case, it happened when we got married, so the distance was no longer a factor. We're still happily married to this day, with no end in sight. Good ending FTW. And I tell you, man, never again with the distance thing. Never. Farking. AGAIN. Once was more than enough.

Did this make Lilly less of a compelling character for me? Not at all; quite the opposite, in fact. But I suspect that Lilly is something of an odd case: actually knowing someone like her humanizes her in a way that the other characters don't need quite so much.
I word

D'aww
Completion order: Emi->Lily->Shizune->Hanako->Rin
Feels order: Emi->lily/Hanako->Rin->Shizune
muliebrity

Post by muliebrity »

Treelor wrote:I don't think I made the wrong decision, though. Not all good endings are happy.
Yeah, man. It's no good for the two people involved in an intimate relationship to want completely different things from each other.
gRaViJa wrote:Also, one day she fell down while rock climbing and she had so use a wheelchair for a while :p
Oh god, you didn't... Did you?
Nekken wrote:For me, it depends on how you define "like a KS character." The one I find to be like my Lilly wasn't actually blind, and while the KS characters are not defined by their disabilities (that would be missing the point of the game), they do carry importance.
But mainly in the way they perceive and interact with the world, not who they are or what they believe.
A long-distance relationship will tear you apart like little else can. But long-distance relationships end. It's basically inevitable, and we were no different as far as that goes.
Man do I know that feeling. My first girlfriend was the only girl I've ever felt deeply connected to, and her mother decided she wanted to raise horses in The Middle Of Nowhere, MO. We tried to keep things going after that, but her mother's hatred of me and the distance made it untenable.
In our case, it happened when we got married, so the distance was no longer a factor. We're still happily married to this day, with no end in sight. Good ending FTW.
You clever bastard. You had me going there, for a second.
Interesting. For me, it just hit too close to home, but the Hanako-esque girl I dated has some associated negative feelings.
<Xanatos>: Most certainly, matriarch appreciator.
My hobby: taking Xan quotes out of context.
Unorthodox KS Fanart
I loved every minute of KS, every route.
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

So I almost dated a Miki once. She hated math and was a runner. She had both hands but one was disabled. Completely. No feeling, no control. Just hung there, limp. It was like there was just no muscle or nerves or anything. Never asked about it. Don't know the actual cause.

Anywho, she was a student aide in one of my classes. I wrote less fanfics and more original stuff back then and I could grab inspiration from anywhere. A campfire, a person, the Pope's hat...When it was a person, I saw fit to give them a copy of whatever was written. So I ended up writing some sort of poem. I don't remember much except it drew from Greek myth a bit. Anyway, I handed her a copy as I left the classroom the day I'd written it. Next day, she compliments it and we get to talking. Arrange a not-quite-date and go for pizza. I'm sick as hell on the arranged day so she basically forces cough drops down my throat. :lol: Conversation turns to music and I find out she's into guitar. She played it a few times for me over the months. After the first few weeks (three, exactly), I figure it's a good match and ask her out. She said yes...Hypothetically. As in, "Hypothetically, if I wasn't already with someone, I'd date you."...So that was sucky. I was one year late, apparently. Anyway, after some time, we lost touch. I've made a few minor attempts at regaining contact but she's rather busy with life. And a couple years after I first asked, she married that guy who beat me to the punch. So yeah.
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
<KeiichiO>: "That's a beautiful response to chocolate."
Dream

Post by Dream »

^ Damn, that's quite the bittersweet punch.

On topic: I don't really feel like elaborating much on the matter, but this girl i used to be friends with strongly reminded me of Hanako, Lilly, Emi and Shizune for different aspects of her person/life. If i had to choose one girl she resembled the most, it would be either Hanako or Lilly.
"It is not reason, more or less furnished, but will that makes the world march"

"Unfortunately, if you can think of something really stupid, someone out there probably believes it." -Xanatos
YZQ

Post by YZQ »

Well, what Xan can hope is that the guy treats the girl well. Failing that, anything is possibkle after the divorce.
"Nothing is beneath man. Everything is permitted."

"...since love and fear can hardly exist together, if we must choose between them, it is far safer to be feared than loved. However, it is important above all to avoid being hated."