2012 /v/GAs

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Pyramid Head

Re: 2012 /v/GAs

Post by Pyramid Head »

A change of subject. Someone did comment on the "Feels" award and believe it or not, that's the one area of what was posted i will mostly accept. While again i would gladly go down on Hanako, The Walking Dead earns special praise for having good emotional impact and actually getting me to care about a child in an industry where shit like Heavy Rain tries to get us to care that a badly voiced zombie was taken. If Clementine were the standard that My Little Pony used for writing it's child characters, i might not have tried to kill myself during episodes involving the trio of child side characters.

After that you had Spec Ops: The Line, though if it were all items that actually got me to feel emotional impact, my list would go:

1. Spec Ops: The Line
2. The Walking Dead
3. Katawa Shoujo
4. Django Unchained

And so on and so forth. Spec Ops: The Line didn't just stimulate an emotion well, it stimulated a very negative emotional disorder extremely well. The fact that the game actually makes you afraid to get immersed and actually loathe the player character and to extension yourself. But i'm a total horror slut, and think that something that induces negative emotions is a healthy balance to something happy. After that came Journey which i haven't played but have heard some good stuff about through relatively reliable sources. After that came XCOM: Enemy Unknown, which i went along with. It's not as effective as some of the better Fire Emblem titles but the fact that there are very real consequences to your carelessness and the fact that the characters are under your protection rather than you does make their death have impact even if the characters have no definition. You invent the definition yourself as you customize them, and that's a legitimate source of feels in my opinion. Dear Esther i'm skeptical about but haven't played, and then came the more controversial one. I actually agree with putting Mass Effect 3 on the list.

Why?

Even if the ending was insulting, you did care about what was going on. I actually was legitimately upset when Thane Krios died (SPOILER WARNING) and almost felt sorry for the Illusive Man. The outstanding acting and mostly good writing helps, and even if it's ending did disappoint Mass Effect 3 is still a good game. It's just that EA deserves to die.
The fear of blood tends to create fear for the flesh.
Enceladeans

Post by Enceladeans »

In my opinion KS should've won Best Soundtrack and Biggest Feels.

But I guess Hotline Miami and The Walking Dead are worthy of them too.
Nekken

Post by Nekken »

As far as I can tell, the only real goal of the /v/GAs is to produce an awards show less disgraceful than Spike's. And the scary part is, despite all the things wrong with what they produced, they still achieved that goal.
Falling in love is a volcano. Being in love is a kotatsu.