Sakura-Con

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Zailen

Sakura-Con

Post by Zailen »

Hey there! So. I am going to be attending my first Sakura-con this year in Seattle. However. I know next to nothing about anime. Yaknow...Other than like...Dragonball Z. Im going with some work friends for the intention on learning more about it, and maybe even meet some fun folks! HERES the thing! I would -love- to meet some fellow Katawa Shoujo fans while I'm there! Maybe even snap a picture with a few cosplayers! I guess what I'm asking is...Anyone else going?
pandaphil

Re: Sakura-Con

Post by pandaphil »

I'd like to go, if theres any KS programming scheduled. Moneys kinda tight though, so I can probably only afford one day.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant." ~ The Doctor.
SpecimenSix

Post by SpecimenSix »

You don't have to know anything about anime at all to enjoy a con like that. Hell I went to Otakon last summer and that was probably the highlight of my entire summer, albeit there was a lot going on at the time, but I had a great time. I'm afraid I won't be going though as it's the entire opposite side of the country. :lol:
I am bad, and that's good. I will never be good, and that's not bad. There is no one I would rather be than me.
Umber

Post by Umber »

Same predicament as Pandaphil. Hell, I could probably only stay for an hour or two, in my case.

You should videotape your fun and share it with us, for those who wanted to go (but couldn't :()
-An occasional art thread.
pig dissections and cadaver examinations.
Zailen

Post by Zailen »

Haha yeah I feel ya on that. I ended up deciding to go because I live in Olympia. So its in state for me. I'm pretty excited to go to be honest! I want to meet the guy who voices Vegeta, and I want to run around and look at stuff. Plus! I'm planning on Cosplaying KS! because...Someones gotta do it xD And videotape...Maybe. It's be pretty cool! Open it up with...well with my driving. Forty five minutes trying to park, haha. I dont drive cities.
win746

Post by win746 »

I don't know much about anime either, but I think it's still fine just to go and enjoy it. Plus, I think going to a con can present new animes for you to watch.

This is one of the times I wish I live in the US :( , there's nothing fun going on here at all.
Katie wrote:I hate men
This board is being invaded by feminists, spread the word!
gekiganwing

Post by gekiganwing »

I haven't been to Sakura-Con, but I did attend PAX Prime once. Unfortunately, I didn't find that convention appealing.

I like the excitement and varied programming that large conventions offer, but I can also appreciate the way in which small cons lack huge lines/crowds/intense schedules. This is why I usually recommend that fans start with a relatively small convention in their area, attend some discussion panels, and get to know other fans.

About half of my fan convention experiences have been at Anime Central, since it's very easy for me to get there. It's crowded and expensive, but I try to take it easy and enjoy it. Though there's a nine page thread on their forums on whether the con has lost its focus. In 2012, a lot of the programming focused on music and fashion, and about half of the cosplayers were from other fandoms. Homestuck and Friendship is Magic fans were everywhere, and I noticed a lot more people interested in Adventure Time, Sherlock, Doctor Who, and games made by Valve or Bioware.

Also, regarding Win746's comment: be sure to browse fancons.co.uk when you have time.
win746

Post by win746 »

How ignorant of me, I always just look at US for anything like this. Thank you very much. :)
pandaphil

Post by pandaphil »

I've been going to conventions since 1980 and always had a good time. But cons like Sakura, with ten thousand plus attendee's are just too big and frantic for me. Its hard to hang out and meet people in that huge crowd. Although it might be easier if you're a younger person who doesn't mind all the noise and fuss. Its a great place to check out cosplayers though. There are always plenty of amazing creations on hand. And of course its a great place to shop for goods.

Theres also the problem that I'm way out of touch with anime these days. I kinda drifted away from it a few years ago, when it seemed like all the shows were getting to be the same. I still collect good anime art, but thats about it.

These days I only go to one steampunk convention locally.
Last edited by pandaphil on Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant." ~ The Doctor.
Zailen

Post by Zailen »

Yeah I feel ya on that. My knowledge on Anime really...Doesn't exist. But this con is local for me, and I've been meaning to go to one so I thought "Hey! Why not, I have work friends going." So I'll probably do alot of running around, and looking for cosplays I actually know! haha. I'm already pulling together a Hisao Cosplay. Even found a sweater vest that looked exactly like the one from the Shizune arc. Gonna be sweet. I'm debating...Though I havent decided on this yet. If people recognise me, giving them a treat...Like...Lemons. Or...Snacks or something. Maybe bandaids. Hah.
OtakuNinja

Post by OtakuNinja »

While we're talking about cons... Anyone going to Närcon this summer? Nobody? Me neither. :lol:
Emibro, Hanabro, [Lilly Lover], Rin Kin, Feminist, Two-timer
(Passively working on my KS YouTube series. Someday...)
win746

Post by win746 »

Not trying to derail the thread, but any suggestions on animes to start off?
pandaphil

Post by pandaphil »

This is why I wish there were KS t-shirts or something so fans could identify each other.
win746

Post by win746 »

pandaphil wrote:This is why I wish there were KS t-shirts or something so fans could identify each other.
Or wear a bandaid heart badge, since 4LS doesn't want people selling merchandises based off KS right?
Umber

Post by Umber »

win746 wrote:
pandaphil wrote:This is why I wish there were KS t-shirts or something so fans could identify each other.
Or wear a bandaid heart badge, since 4LS doesn't want people selling merchandises based off KS right?
Yep. Someone once suggested that he would be willing to sell shirts based on KS fanart, but the community was a little iffy.

You can always cosplay, people would recognize a blonde wig, a pinstripe suit, and red contacts. Or a home-made red and yellow scarf and garlic breath. Improvised stuff could be pretty cool, though. Those seem to be big hits at 'cons, AFAIK. Never been to one, so I can't say...
-An occasional art thread.
pig dissections and cadaver examinations.