Disturbing Questions about Yamaku

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

BlackWaltzTheThird

Re: Disturbing Questions about Yamaku

Post by BlackWaltzTheThird »

Fyn, I think you're overestimating the severity of the students' medical status. If there was any real danger to any of their health, they would still be in hospital. Given that they have all been released from professional care at some point (or were never in need of it in the first place, for people such as Lilly or Shizune), one must understand that this means their health is no longer a concern. Yes, they still have their conditions, and yes, some of them require certain medical treatments such as pills, but no, they are not in danger.

Allow me to give you an example. About a year ago, my father was diagnosed with Hemachromatosis; that is, an excess of iron absorption by the blood. He was in hospital for a short time while he had blood drawn out to lower the iron concentration, but was released once his levels returned to normal. Now he needs to watch his diet, to ensure he doesn't eat too much high-iron food, and get a check up to test his iron levels every so often, but other than that he requires no further medical attention. My dad is a grown man, and he can look after himself. This is the philosophy at work at Yamaku.

As I mentioned, if any of them were in any real danger they would still be in hospital. As it stands, they are past a treatment stage and onto a maintenance stage, so to speak. Do you expect a fully grown adult with Long-QT Syndrome to have to be under constant medical watch? Or someone who is blind, deaf-mute, or an amputee? The answer here should be no. The purpose of Yamaku Academy is twofold; firstly, to provide a normal highschool education, and secondly, to prepare medically-challenged students for life as an indepedant adult. To constantly helicopter students as you expect would be counter-productive to these purposes. Once again, they are not in any immediate danger.

The issue runs a little deeper with Hanako, and possibly other unmentioned students, because psychological afflictions are not so easily cured. However, at no point does the VN suggest that Hanako is on suicide-watch at all. Yes, she has a therapist, but being under psychiatric care does not equate to being under suicide watch. My mum sees a therapist every so often (biweekly, I think). She is about as far from suicidal as you can get. She suffers from severe anxiety, much the same as Hanako does (sans the horrific burns and related traumatic event). She does not need constant surveillance either, because she is an independant adult and is not in any immediate danger.

Remember, Yamaku is first and foremost a school. Not a hospital. They admit students, not patients. The only difference is that the nursing staff is somewhat larger than a traditional highschool, and certain leniencies are taken into consideration.

Oh, and for what it's worth, disabled schools aren't nearly as uncommon as your anecdote suggests, especially in a country as densely populated as Japan. For instance, I know of a college for the deaf a short train ride from my university. It admits students from kindergarten to 12th grade. As a non-attendee, I can't speak for how the school runs, but I know there are around 80-100 students in attendance. And this is just deaf students. I find it entirely plausible that a school catering to a much larger and much less specific student body could and would exist.

That should cover everything you've taken issue with thus far. I'm all for intelligent discussions, but it seems to me that you're stirring the pot for no reason other than to stir the pot. You said yourself this was a pointless conversation; if so, why start it? I hate to throw the word around, but my troll-sense is tingling. Prove it wrong, Fyn, prove it wrong.
BlackWaltz's One-stop Oneshot Shop - my fanfiction portal topic. Contains links to all my previous works, plus starting now any new ones I may produce (or reproduce)! Please, check it out!

BlackWaltz's Pastebin - for those who prefer to read things with no formatting and stuff. It's mostly the same as in my thread. Also contains assorted other writing!
griffon8

Post by griffon8 »

As an example of how thinking too much about something can go horribly wrong, I give you: The Gilligan's Island Conspiracy—Revealed!
I found out about Katawa Shoujo through the forums of Misfile. There, I am the editor of Misfiled Dreams.

Completed: 100%, including bonus picture. Shizune>Emi>Lilly>Hanako>Rin

Griffon8's Writing
Fyn

Post by Fyn »

Damn, so many replies. But I have no time toread them yet. Ill get back to this later
yummines

Post by yummines »

It's a game, don't overthink it.

These issues would only be problematic if it was an actual school.
Umber

Post by Umber »

Been reading everything so far, but I don't having anything to add except MST3K Mantra.
-An occasional art thread.
pig dissections and cadaver examinations.
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

Umber wrote:Been reading everything so far, but I don't having anything to add except MST3K Mantra.
I was waiting for somebody to say it... :lol:

@yummines: If even then...
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
<KeiichiO>: "That's a beautiful response to chocolate."
pandaphil

Post by pandaphil »

Maybe its all those years spent as a Star Trek fan, but I enjoy poking through a story, putting random bits and pieces together to figure out how the universe works. Its fun What else are we gonna talk about? How cute Emi is, or yet another "Hankao gives me the feels!" thread?

As others have said, I've got no problem with the nurse. Hes young and friendly. The sort of person a bunch of high school students would be most likely to feel at ease around and open up to. I can see him recruiting some students to be his assistants, as sort of an informal mentoring program. It helps out new students, and helps them learn to better interact and work together.

And really, this is private school in Japan, not the US. Of course they're not going to have high security. Students are expected to act like adults. And if they don't they can expect to be properly punished or expelled.

Why would they need to check on students? Hisao seems to be one of the few there who actually has a life-threatening ailment. If the doctors thought he was in danger, they'd have kept him in the hospital. I don't see Hanako as suicidal either. Withdrawn and introverted yes. Adn thankfully she has another student supporting her.

They also have a pretty broad definition of 'Disability', which might account for the high population If the class photo making the rounds is to be believed, you've got students with carpal tunnel, and diabetes. Hardly crippling ailments. And as others have said, there are plenty of non disabled students there. Plus I have a suspicion that the school might also have a program for students like Misha who want to learn to work with the disabled.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant." ~ The Doctor.
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

pandaphil wrote:Maybe its all those years spent as a Star Trek fan, but I enjoy poking through a story, putting random bits and pieces together to figure out how the universe works. Its fun What else are we gonna talk about? How cute Emi is, or yet another "Hankao gives me the feels!" thread?
That stuff is fun...But only when it isn't entirely nonsensical garbage. "THERE ARE ALL THESE DISABLED BECAUSE IT'S A VIRUS AND YAMAKU IS A SECRET DEATH CAMP AND NURSE IS EVIL BECAUSE HE HAS A SENSE OF HUMOR AND SMILES A LOT AND WHY DOESN'T THIS SCHOOL HAVE FREAKISH INTRUSIVE AMOUNTS OF SECURITY AND SURVEILLANCE?!" is not fun piecing together of the world. It's just inane drivel. :lol:

And don't forget the worst disability of all: Misha's pre-orgasm WAHAHAHA~! verbal tic
Last edited by Xanatos on Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
Fyn

Post by Fyn »

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

You weren't insulted. The content of your post was insulted. There's a distinction. :P And the invisible box is discovered in Hanako's route. All you gotta do is give her the chocolate. :twisted:

Hell, I'd beware of Kenji more than Nurse. The guy's a murderer.
Fyn

Post by Fyn »

If there was any real danger to any of their health, they would still be in hospital. Given that they have all been released from professional care at some point, one must understand that this means their health is no longer a concern
- Not in the critical condition I agree. But they are still far from being normal. Yet, have you seen any emergency button in Hisao's room? Every malls with a C.R for elders and disabled has one. Yamaku has none
You said yourself this was a pointless conversation; if so, why start it? I hate to throw the word around, but my troll-sense is tingling. Prove it wrong, Fyn, prove it wrong.
-That was me and Xanatos messing with each other :lol: :lol: :lol:
Selim Bradley

Post by Selim Bradley »

Fyn wrote:
If there was any real danger to any of their health, they would still be in hospital. Given that they have all been released from professional care at some point, one must understand that this means their health is no longer a concern
- Not in the critical condition I agree. But they are still far from being normal. Yet, have you seen any emergency button in Hisao's room? Every malls with a C.R for elders and disabled has one. Yamaku has none
You don't know that he doesn't. Just because something is not pointed out doesn't mean it doesn't exist.
Last edited by Selim Bradley on Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
I am the male version of Hanako Ikezawa.
Umber

Post by Umber »

Xanatos wrote:
And don't forget the worst disability of all: Misha's pre-orgasm WAHAHAHA~! verbal tic
That's hardly a disability. If anything, that would be the best genetic Insta-turn-on for some people Wumbologyperhapscough.
-An occasional art thread.
pig dissections and cadaver examinations.
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

Selim Bradley wrote:
Fyn wrote:
You don't know that he doesn't, either. Just because something is not pointed out doesn't mean it doesn't exist.
Relevant: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUuzxjwXVXE
Fyn

Post by Fyn »

And really, this is private school in Japan, not the US. Of course they're not going to have high security. Students are expected to act like adults. And if they don't they can expect to be properly punished or expelled.
Actually, it is quite the opposite. The west has a culture of independence while the east has a culture of family bonding. In America, it is a shame to live in your mothers basement after graduation. But in Asia, it is a shame to leave your family without having a wife/husband first. In fact, Retirement home barely exists in Asian countries. Grandparents stays with their children until their death and thats why their society is so closely knit
Also, while America has cases of colleges who uses weeds, Asia condemns those cases. As it is considered cheating. (Trust me, im Asian)
Hisao seems to be one of the few there who actually has a life-threatening ailment.
Dont you think thats more reason to keep an eye on him? They dont have much students in the danger of death. So the guards should have more time.
I don't see Hanako as suicidal either
The signs of suicide can easily be hidden. The guy who took photos of the starvation in Africa hanged himself 6 months after he returned to America. Everyone was taken by surprise because he was proud of opening the eyes of the world. He felt the guilt about living in comfort in America while the others die
Can you guess how much pain that is for Hanako whos parents died for her?
Last edited by Fyn on Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:59 am, edited 1 time in total.