Blindness

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

KeiichiO

Re: Blindness

Post by KeiichiO »

pandaphil wrote:What's always struck me as odd was how in movies, tv shows, and even VN's, blind women as always portrayed as these ethereal, almost angellic creatures. Never quite understood that. Lilly's a prime example.
Hmm, interesting theory. Although, I haven't realized that in any media I've seen.

For example: Toph from Avatar the Last Airbender. (Yes, it's a Nickelodeon cartoon and it's one of my favorites so shut up! :P) She's blind, but she's nothing like how you described. She's kind of a bad ass. She's also virtually the opposite of Lilly. She's very rude and doesn't really act like a lady and is more of a tomboy.

But I haven't seem very many blind characters in media, so I wouldn't know the stereotypes :P
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

KeiichiO wrote:
pandaphil wrote:What's always struck me as odd was how in movies, tv shows, and even VN's, blind women as always portrayed as these ethereal, almost angellic creatures. Never quite understood that. Lilly's a prime example.
Hmm, interesting theory. Although, I haven't realized that in any media I've seen.

For example: Toph from Avatar the Last Airbender. (Yes, it's a Nickelodeon cartoon and it's one of my favorites so shut up! :P) She's blind, but she's nothing like how you described. She's kind of a bad ass. She's also virtually the opposite of Lilly. She's very rude and doesn't really act like a lady and is more of a tomboy.

But I haven't seem very many blind characters in media, so I wouldn't know the stereotypes :P
Avatar's awesome...Both movies sucked. :lol: Sequel series is good too.
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
<KeiichiO>: "That's a beautiful response to chocolate."
KeiichiO

Post by KeiichiO »

Xanatos wrote:
KeiichiO wrote:

Agree with you 100% my good sir.
pandaphil

Post by pandaphil »

Xanatos wrote:
Lilly is neither ethereal or angelic... O.o

Oh I dunno, tall, slender, with long flowing blonde hair, so very sweet and protective. seems pretty angellic to me.

It does seem to be at least an anime meme. The sweet, gentle blind girl. Or at least it used to be.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant." ~ The Doctor.
Carighan

Post by Carighan »

I thought the whole point of Suriko's writing was that it shows Lilly as this yamato nadeshiko, but then subverts it when you find out that it's just a learned persona. Much like Drill Misha. It misleads you with the trope. ;)
The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

pandaphil wrote:
Xanatos wrote:
Lilly is neither ethereal or angelic... O.o

Oh I dunno, tall, slender, with long flowing blonde hair, so very sweet and protective. seems pretty angellic to me.

It does seem to be at least an anime meme. The sweet, gentle blind girl. Or at least it used to be.
Trope. Not meme. Entirely different.

Specifically, it's Hair Of Gold, Heart Of Gold.
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
Selim Bradley

Post by Selim Bradley »

KeiichiO wrote:
Xanatos wrote:
KeiichiO wrote: Hmm, interesting theory. Although, I haven't realized that in any media I've seen.

Agree with you 100% my good sir.
I love Avatar: The Last Airbender and Avatar: The Legend of Korra(hurry up Seasons 2-4).
I am the male version of Hanako Ikezawa.
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

Selim Bradley wrote:I love Avatar: The Last Airbender and Avatar: The Legend of Korra(hurry up Seasons 2-4).

April's the rumored start of season two.

@Carighan: Exactly. Lilly's a subversion of the trope.
ReCodes

Post by ReCodes »

i must know: can blind people cry? like shedding tears??
~WAHAHAHA...~
http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=7531 <- my fan art gallery

I'm dead...for now...will be back sometimes later...
Selim Bradley

Post by Selim Bradley »

Xanatos wrote:
Selim Bradley wrote:I love Avatar: The Last Airbender and Avatar: The Legend of Korra(hurry up Seasons 2-4).

April's the rumored start of season two.
Ok. I figured sometime in Spring.
ReCodes wrote:i must know: can blind people cry? like shedding tears??
Yes, they can. The only parts of the eyes that are disabled for a blind person is the rods and cones inside, which gather light and transmit the data to the brain.
YZQ

Post by YZQ »

Selim Bradley wrote:
ReCodes wrote:i must know: can blind people cry? like shedding tears??
Yes, they can. The only parts of the eyes that are disabled for a blind person is the rods and cones inside, which gather light and transmit the data to the brain.
It depends, actually. Could be the retina, could be the part of the brain which processes such data. As long as one part malfunctions, the whole thing doesn't work.
"Nothing is beneath man. Everything is permitted."

"...since love and fear can hardly exist together, if we must choose between them, it is far safer to be feared than loved. However, it is important above all to avoid being hated."
Selim Bradley

Post by Selim Bradley »

YZQ wrote:
Selim Bradley wrote: Yes, they can. The only parts of the eyes that are disabled for a blind person is the rods and cones inside, which gather light and transmit the data to the brain.
It depends, actually. Could be the retina, could be the part of the brain which processes such data. As long as one part malfunctions, the whole thing doesn't work.
True, but either don't affect the tear ducts.
YZQ

Post by YZQ »

Selim Bradley wrote:
YZQ wrote:
Selim Bradley wrote: Yes, they can. The only parts of the eyes that are disabled for a blind person is the rods and cones inside, which gather light and transmit the data to the brain.
Yeah, tear ducts are usually not affected in many conditions which cause blindness.
"Nothing is beneath man. Everything is permitted."

"...since love and fear can hardly exist together, if we must choose between them, it is far safer to be feared than loved. However, it is important above all to avoid being hated."
FoxtrotZero

Post by FoxtrotZero »

YZQ wrote:
Selim Bradley wrote:
YZQ wrote: It depends, actually. Could be the retina, could be the part of the brain which processes such data. As long as one part malfunctions, the whole thing doesn't work.
Yeah, tear ducts are usually not affected in many conditions which cause blindness.
The exception would probably be some sort of physical destruction of the eye (knife, fire, acid, shrapnel, you get the idea) that also destroyed the tear ducts, but that wouldn't be any more related to the blindness itself than the fact that they happened in the same incident
Reccomended Fanfic: Sisterhood by Guest Poster - Braving the Storm by Doomish - Akira Pseudo-Route (WIP) by Thanatos02
OtakuNinja

Post by OtakuNinja »

KeiichiO wrote:
This. :lol:
Xanatos wrote:Avatar's awesome...Both movies sucked. :lol: Sequel series is good too.
Both? I've only heard of one movie and it was, as you said, a failure.:?
Emibro, Hanabro, [Lilly Lover], Rin Kin, Feminist, Two-timer
(Passively working on my KS YouTube series. Someday...)