FDA approves new "blindness curing" glasses

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

metalangel

Re: FDA approves new "blindness curing" glasses

Post by metalangel »

Eraser35 wrote:Shizune would probably consider getting her ears fixed, I assume anyone lacking a sense would like the opportunity to gain it
YZQ wrote:
A clash of ideals is what I see in Shizune's working life. She want others to fit her way, and her bosses want her to fit their way, aka the average Joe's way. Which will bend is an interesting question.
She can't bend, end of story.
YZQ

Post by YZQ »

metalangel wrote:
Eraser35 wrote:Shizune would probably consider getting her ears fixed, I assume anyone lacking a sense would like the opportunity to gain it
YZQ wrote:
A clash of ideals is what I see in Shizune's working life. She want others to fit her way, and her bosses want her to fit their way, aka the average Joe's way. Which will bend is an interesting question.
She can't bend, end of story.
The thing is: At some level, she wants to. She probably has to learn it somehow.
"Nothing is beneath man. Everything is permitted."

"...since love and fear can hardly exist together, if we must choose between them, it is far safer to be feared than loved. However, it is important above all to avoid being hated."
metalangel

Post by metalangel »

YZQ wrote:
The thing is: At some level, she wants to. She probably has to learn it somehow.

It is physically impossible for her to learn to interpret speech, even if she wanted to. Critical Period hypothesis and research backing it states that language acquisition (without a primary language) after approximately age 13 is extremely difficult. Shizune has JSL as her primary language, however: For cochlear implants this also applies in that the brain will not be able to interpret the sounds it is suddenly hearing as speech.

If you've always been deaf or were from a very early age then getting one will just mean you can hear sounds, not speech.
YZQ

Post by YZQ »

Morse code for Shizune, and body language is very hard to fake, as it's a product of your subconscious mind.

"...since love and fear can hardly exist together, if we must choose between them, it is far safer to be feared than loved. However, it is important above all to avoid being hated."
metalangel

Post by metalangel »

I give up. When presented with facts or real life experience you just pull out more bullshit or try to direct the discussion around how you've just been shown wrong. Trololololo!
YZQ

Post by YZQ »

Ultimately, I will still use texting as a primary way of communicating with deaf individuals, unless I have to interact with alot of them.

And I take compliments to that troll comment, especially if you think I'm putting effort into trolling.

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

metalangel wrote:Trololololo!
That is only used to denote trolling...
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
<KeiichiO>: "That's a beautiful response to chocolate."
pandaphil

Post by pandaphil »

Speaking of 'cures', I spotted this on Facebook this evening. Question is, would Rin use them?

http://www.redorbit.com/news/health/111 ... el-021813/
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant." ~ The Doctor.
SemisoftCheese

Post by SemisoftCheese »

pandaphil wrote:Speaking of 'cures', I spotted this on Facebook this evening. Question is, would Rin use them?

http://www.redorbit.com/news/health/111 ... el-021813/
I think, after watching this thread degrade into a violent argument about fixing disabilities, is that it really depends on the person.

Rin's more difficult to see through than a brick wall, but my guess is that she'd use them on and off. Some days, she'd wear them, and some days, she wouldn't. Just because.

inb4

OH MY GOD SEMISOFTCHEESE YOU IMBECILE RIN WOULD NEVER USE THESE SHE ONLY USES HER LEGS SHES AN IMPARTIAL ARTIST GET OFF THE FORUM YOU DONT UNDERSTAND HER AT ALL
pandaphil

Post by pandaphil »

I can see her using them off and on too. She'd appreciate not having to rely on someone else to help her get dressed and with certain female problems.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant." ~ The Doctor.
FoxtrotZero

Post by FoxtrotZero »

pandaphil wrote:I can see her using them off and on too. She'd appreciate not having to rely on someone else to help her get dressed and with certain female problems.
Yeah, but just how easily can you take these things on and off when they have to connect to your nerve endings?
And I find it a grand irony that she'd still need Emi's help to put on and take off her arms.
Reccomended Fanfic: Sisterhood by Guest Poster - Braving the Storm by Doomish - Akira Pseudo-Route (WIP) by Thanatos02
pandaphil

Post by pandaphil »

FoxtrotZero wrote:
pandaphil wrote:I can see her using them off and on too. She'd appreciate not having to rely on someone else to help her get dressed and with certain female problems.
Yeah, but just how easily can you take these things on and off when they have to connect to your nerve endings?
And I find it a grand irony that she'd still need Emi's help to put on and take off her arms.

I guess it'll depend on the direction the technology takes. Depending on how well sealed the electronics are, would they need some sort of quick release function for bathing and sleeping?
Eraser35

Post by Eraser35 »

I'd assume they would have some sort of water proofing
YZQ

Post by YZQ »

For Rin and Emi, I'm thinking of transplants, either donor or cultivated from stem cells. Could be ages for the "growing your own parts" portion.

pandaphil

Post by pandaphil »

YZQ wrote:For Rin and Emi, I'm thinking of transplants, either donor or cultivated from stem cells. Could be ages for the "growing your own parts" portion.

Well if we're going with the future tech solution, there's always the "Deux Ex" route with body enhancements.