The "feels" bazaar.

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

stanman237

Re: The KS Community's Tips on Getting Rid Of Feels

Post by stanman237 »

misterprinny wrote:
though it really pains me that there is no Angel Beats season 2. That really got me more than the lack of a KS sequel
Don't worry, Angel Beats VN is confirmed and should come out next year. Written by Jun Maeda and released by Key. Too bad there probably gonna kill them the second time when they reborn
misterprinny

Post by misterprinny »

stanman237 wrote:
misterprinny wrote:
though it really pains me that there is no Angel Beats season 2. That really got me more than the lack of a KS sequel
Don't worry, Angel Beats VN is confirmed and should come out next year. Written by Jun Maeda and released by Key. Too bad there probably gonna kill them the second time when they reborn
Yeah, I've heard of that. Fingers crossed. Tissue box ready.

But before this thread gets derailed further, I thought of another tip:

Go watch something that will make you laugh. I think this has already been said by a couple people already (thanks to everyone who contributed! I'm very happy about the result), but laughing your ass off is a good way to bring the mood up and forget about feels for a while.
Head Editor at Stewart-Class 7 Studios, an OELVN studio similar to 4LS. Please check out our blog and website and our forums.
Daitengu

Post by Daitengu »

Personally, being the introvert that I am, I decided to not "get rid of feels", but instead resolve them.

I don't think anything could be more unhealthy than stowing away unprocessed emotions. It'll just leave you more emotionally numb and less compassionate/empathetic in the future.

What I did was spend time asking myself why I felt particular 'feels'. Yes the simple answer is KS made me, but that's not the real deep answer.
I probably went through 20 to 100 different questions before I got to where I was comfortable and fine.

examples:
Why am I hurting?
What emotion am I feeling?
Why did that character resonate so much?
Why did that event/dialogue have such an impact on me?
What aspect of that character's personality/reasoning/behavior resonates with me?
Was it because I could see part of myself or was I seeing part of someone from my past in it?
What's similar and what's different?

I probably took a day or three after each route just demystifying my emotions and turning them into understanding of myself. After I resolved my turmoil, I shared what conclusions I drew from thinking to friends n family, and felt 150% better. extra 50% in there because I felt better after working through all the emotions than I felt before even starting the game.

Now, when I hear particular songs from the game, I still get echos of the feelings I had while playing, but I'm completely fine with it because I "understand" their origins. btw 30 yr old guy here tellin ya crying and having feelings are just fine. The trick is learning how to understand them so that you can deal with it instead of bottling, hiding, or forgetting it.
Pseudogenesis

Post by Pseudogenesis »

Daitengu wrote:Personally, being the introvert that I am, I decided to not "get rid of feels", but instead resolve them.

I don't think anything could be more unhealthy than stowing away unprocessed emotions. It'll just leave you more emotionally numb and less compassionate/empathetic in the future.

What I did was spend time asking myself why I felt particular 'feels'. Yes the simple answer is KS made me, but that's not the real deep answer.
I probably went through 20 to 100 different questions before I got to where I was comfortable and fine.

examples:
Why am I hurting?
What emotion am I feeling?
Why did that character resonate so much?
Why did that event/dialogue have such an impact on me?
What aspect of that character's personality/reasoning/behavior resonates with me?
Was it because I could see part of myself or was I seeing part of someone from my past in it?
What's similar and what's different?

Yup. Emotional intelligence is what it's called. Understanding and getting at the root of the emotions themselves, rather than simply trying to suppress them. Don't bottle up the feels. EMBRACE DEM.
The biggest dilemma in Katawa Shoujo:
'Should I recommend this to my friends or do I want them to continue to see me as mentally healthy?'

Mashup of the month: "Damn It Feels Good To Be a Cripple"
misterprinny

Post by misterprinny »

Daitengu wrote:Now, when I hear particular songs from the game, I still get echos of the feelings I had while playing, but I'm completely fine with it because I "understand" their origins. btw 30 yr old guy here tellin ya crying and having feelings are just fine. The trick is learning how to understand them so that you can deal with it instead of bottling, hiding, or forgetting it.
Finished KS, Wiosna immediately became my ringtone. Finished Angel Beats!, My Soul Your Beats! immediately became my ringtone. I still listen to the KS OST. And since I love music and this music especially makes me have an emotional response, I torture myself basically. :lol: It's also funny because I am a Dubstep enthusiast

14 year old guy here, I have no problem with the fact that I sob like a child when it comes to this stuff. Then again, puberty and all that emotion crap. And generally kids/teens tend to be more scathing and judging of this kind of behavior than adults in your case. Great advice sir, your wisdom is much appreciated.

I have too many spoiler tags
Head Editor at Stewart-Class 7 Studios, an OELVN studio similar to 4LS. Please check out our blog and website and our forums.
Pseudogenesis

Post by Pseudogenesis »

misterprinny wrote:
Daitengu wrote:Now, when I hear particular songs from the game, I still get echos of the feelings I had while playing, but I'm completely fine with it because I "understand" their origins. btw 30 yr old guy here tellin ya crying and having feelings are just fine. The trick is learning how to understand them so that you can deal with it instead of bottling, hiding, or forgetting it.
Finished KS, Wiosna immediately became my ringtone. Finished Angel Beats!, My Soul Your Beats! immediately became my ringtone. I still listen to the KS OST. And since I love music and this music especially makes me have an emotional response, I torture myself basically. :lol: It's also funny because I am a Dubstep enthusiast

14 year old guy here, I have no problem with the fact that I sob like a child when it comes to this stuff. Then again, puberty and all that emotion crap. And generally kids/teens tend to be more scathing and judging of this kind of behavior than adults in your case. Great advice sir, your wisdom is much appreciated.

Why does it seem like most minors in the KS community are completely mature compared to young teenagers in general? Or maybe I'm just not giving 14 year olds enough credit lol
'Should I recommend this to my friends or do I want them to continue to see me as mentally healthy?'

Daitengu

Post by Daitengu »

misterprinny wrote:14 year old guy here, I have no problem with the fact that I sob like a child when it comes to this stuff. Then again, puberty and all that emotion crap. And generally kids/teens tend to be more scathing and judging of this kind of behavior than adults in your case. Great advice sir, your wisdom is much appreciated.

Ah, I remember the mood swings and angst. I /facepalm at what I've done as a teen alot over the years lol.

I'm actually one of the more aware of self and surround types. Lots of teens and adults get trapped by media and societal culture, thus never growing emotionally or intellectually. I'd swear 80% of the town I live in is like that. Jersey shore, preggo teens, Kardashian wannabes, religious extremists, skinheads, manly men, etc. God I hate Kansas /facepalm

I've found I am much happier giving up on chasing illusionary fun and happiness the TV or society presented, and chose to do what I was interested in and had fun with that. So long as I don't harm others, I hardly care what others think.
Pseudogenesis wrote:Why does it seem like most minors in the KS community are completely mature compared to young teenagers in general? Or maybe I'm just not giving 14 year olds enough credit lol
Well the initial hurdle of 'VN about dating disabled girls' tends to weed out the less open minded lol
Pseudogenesis

Post by Pseudogenesis »

Daitengu wrote:
Pseudogenesis wrote:Why does it seem like most minors in the KS community are completely mature compared to young teenagers in general? Or maybe I'm just not giving 14 year olds enough credit lol
Well the initial hurdle of 'VN about dating disabled girls' tends to weed out the less open minded lol
True, true.

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

The majority of people are only getting dumber as time progresses. You see it in politics, music, society in general, even "history" (The history channel is full of aliens and shit now).

@Daitengu: It's not just Kansas. Sadly.
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
<KeiichiO>: "That's a beautiful response to chocolate."
misterprinny

Post by misterprinny »

I try my best to present a good image of the younger teen-preteen age group on the Internet. Safe to say that my efforts have been spoiled by a thousand others. Oh well.

Oh, and...

TRY NOT TO BE CLINGY. What do I mean by that? (Actually I probably phrased it terribly, but I digress). First thing I did after finishing the game was flock to the forums (which is why I'm still here today), tear up the DeviantArt archives for fan art, and generally made it very very hard for myself to forget about the actual cause of my emotional eruption. I did the same thing with Angel Beats!, and that hasn't turned out well either. Try to separate yourself until you think the feels have passed, and then come back without a heavy heart.

Then again, I am a complete hypocrite for saying this because I plan on starting Clannad soon. Damn you Key
Pseudogenesis

Post by Pseudogenesis »

Xanatos wrote:
The majority of people are only getting dumber as time progresses. You see it in politics, music, society in general, even "history" (The history channel is full of aliens and shit now).
OH GOD I KNOW. D: The history channel AND the Discovery channel are both complete shit now. All they air are things like "Ice Road Truckers", "Pawn Stars", "SWAMP PEOPLE." Fucking Swamp People!? When did Discovery start pandering to the lowest common denominator? These are the channels that comprised my childhood. I preferred watching science shows over cartoons. And now they lie in vapid ruin.

stanman237

Post by stanman237 »

misterprinny wrote:
Then again, I am a complete hypocrite for saying this because I plan on starting Clannad soon. Damn you Key

Clannad is pretty good if you could accept Key Magic. If anything the music is the best I have ever heard.
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

Pseudogenesis wrote:
Xanatos wrote:
OH GOD I KNOW. D: The history channel AND the Discovery channel are both complete shit now. All they air are things like "Ice Road Truckers", "Pawn Stars", "SWAMP PEOPLE." Fucking Swamp People!? When did Discovery start pandering to the lowest common denominator? These are the channels that comprised my childhood. I preferred watching science shows over cartoons. And now they lie in vapid ruin.
My childhood was cartoons...So is my present, mostly. I like one pawn show...I forget the name but it's got this badass old dude. XD
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
<KeiichiO>: "That's a beautiful response to chocolate."
dwarduk

Post by dwarduk »

Pseudogenesis wrote:OH GOD I KNOW. D: The history channel AND the Discovery channel are both complete shit now. All they air are things like "Ice Road Truckers", "Pawn Stars", "SWAMP PEOPLE." Fucking Swamp People!? When did Discovery start pandering to the lowest common denominator? These are the channels that comprised my childhood. I preferred watching science shows over cartoons. And now they lie in vapid ruin.
Alaskan Gold Rush (or whatever it's called) is a bit of a guilty pleasure of mine :oops:... And yes, I was the same. I loved non-fiction, reading and watching as much as I could around science from a young age (probably a couple of years after I started reading, so let's call it 4) until I was 11 and got into that disillusionment and depression... That's another story, though, and too typical to be worthy of HBHC.
With the atmosphere on this forum, I think that is the class of person that is encouraged to stick around. That didn't stop me from being surprised at your age, MisterPrinny; you seem to be an exceptional case even amongst this demographic. Having said that, I know some children as young as ten who behave more reasonably than my peers, though their inexperience does show. Probably just the lack of exposure to alcohol :lol:
Daitengu wrote:Personally, being the introvert that I am, I decided to not "get rid of feels", but instead resolve them.

-snip the rest-
I envy you for being able to do that. When I feel, my mind becomes the feeling, and it is all-consuming, and so I go through my activities to channel it and release it in a controlled way. I'm normally a very analytical rather than creative person, so I'd quite like the chance to give this method a try :D
Meiko will be my waifu. I swear it on my honour. </Zuko>
Weird Badger

Post by Weird Badger »

So what happens if you love your country but you hate your peoples like me? I'm undecided if i have to run away in USA (i have relatives in Phila) or in Canada.

Oh and btw instead of playing KS at 21 i would have loved playing it at 14 to learn something and avoid to waste 7 of my life years being an hermit (i started to be an hermit at 15 to tell the thruth).

As for History channel, you know...