Why I Hate This Fandom

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

MishaAtHerEmiest

Why I Hate This Fandom

Post by MishaAtHerEmiest »

Don't get me wrong. I love Katawa Shoujo and it's characters. It's beautiful.
But the fandom, man. Although it has its gems, some of you are just, well, assholes. I'll give you one reason.
"Anal lol XD!" Stop. You claim you don't play the game for the sex scenes, and you outright disrespect a character with an actual backstory, personality, depth. It's an extremely insignificant part of her route, and yet you call her a slut (slut-shaming is not okay, just a side note) and claim that she cheats on Hisao. The sex scene you guys claim to not care about is one of the biggest running jokes and leads a character to be shamed and put down.
I'm not just saying this because I love Emi, I'm saying this because it's true. A friend who doesn't even play the game but knows the fandom pointed this out to me.
I am Misha at her Emiest. It's a fact of life.
Character: Misha>Emi>Shizune>Rin>Hanako>Lilly
Path: Emi>Rin>Lilly>Hanako=Shizune
Dr. Casey

Re: Why I Hate This Fandom

Post by Dr. Casey »

You might be thinking of 4chan or other corners of the fandom besides here; these forums are home to intelligent and thoughtful discussion far more often than not.
For my part, I think I've jokingly called Emi a slut here once before, but I know that she isn't really one (though I might prefer if she was because I like slutty girls). She's a great character.
Fiandra

Post by Fiandra »

Oh noes butthurt. Hey, it's the internet. You can't expect all the people on the internet to be "nice".

Xanatos, I choose you !
@Ygdrasel wrote:All's fair in poop and war.
-Insert favorite KS girls here-
teh twitter
teh steem
MishaAtHerEmiest

Post by MishaAtHerEmiest »

Fiandra wrote:Oh noes butthurt. Hey, it's the internet. You can't expect all the people on the internet to be "nice".

Xanatos, I choose you !
Why is it that whenever someone on the internet has a negative opinion that differs from someone else's, they're automatically labeled "butthurt?"
I am Misha at her Emiest. It's a fact of life.
Character: Misha>Emi>Shizune>Rin>Hanako>Lilly
Path: Emi>Rin>Lilly>Hanako=Shizune
Dr. Casey

Post by Dr. Casey »

MishaAtHerEmiest wrote:It's an extremely insignificant part of her route, and yet you call her a slut (slut-shaming is not okay, just a side note) and claim that she cheats on Hisao.
Though on this note, I'd have been a little uncomfortable if I was Hisao with the way Emi seemed rather dejected and sad whenever she talked about how the track team captain rejected her because he doesn't swing that way (she wears a sad expression for a few moments whenever talking about it). I'd have been thinking "wtf, why is my girlfriend telling me how she's still sad over a lost love."
Umber

Post by Umber »

Oddly enough, the first route I got was Emi's, and her arc actually meant a lot to me. She deserves my full respect, and it's thanks to her that I actually exercise more than I have/should. We both have lost our fathers, and coincidentally, both in car crashes. I love Emi's story with a passion, because until KS, I never knew how to deal with an empty space in my household for a number of years. Went to school, did homework, got the empty-hearted "I'm so sorry" from people who asked about my parent.

Yes, it's bad people label her a slut, even worse the way she convinced Hisao to have anal sex with her (even though I felt like she wanted to change her mind halfway through it). But this is the internet, and for others, that's probably the most significant part of her arc. For me, it's the nightmare scene, since I can personally relate to her. It's like how Hanabros react to bacon, and how on-the-fence Rin Kin are about Hisao's treatment of the red-haired artist. You're not alone, but the reason you're here voicing your opinion is because there are people that made you do it, made you feel strongly about what they thought was an innocent joke. There are going to be some jokesters on these forums (take a look at the Bacon Tagging thread), and unless they really felt like damaging Emi's image, it could be unintentional.

If people hear "Emi" and are reminded about anal sex and lemons, don't mind them, but if it gets out of hand, politely remind them that things shouldn't cross the line if you really feel so strongly as an Emibro. As I said before, I respect Emi's character quite a bit, but I personally love the lemon jokes...it just had to be lemon flavored lube. Nothing harmful in that. But never will I call her a degrading slut.

I think there's that quote, something along the lines of "I don't agree with a word you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." That's how I feel. I honestly don't know what I should be saying, I was never good with words. But that's my opinion, I think. Somewhere in the jarble of text above should say "I respect why you think that way but others have ideas and so do I and there's really not much we can do about anything."
-An occasional art thread.
pig dissections and cadaver examinations.
Steinherz

Post by Steinherz »

Dr. Casey wrote:You might be thinking of 4chan or other corners of the fandom besides here; these forums are home to intelligent and thoughtful discussion far more often than not.
For my part, I think I've jokingly called Emi a slut here once before, but I know that she isn't really one (though I might prefer if she was because I like slutty girls). She's a great character.
^This.
Although it does seem that Emi is often the butt of cruel jokes/pranks.
I keep seeing pictures of her doing dangerous/crazy things saying "Am I popular yet?", which for the life of me I don't get that joke. >.>
I write take a look, would you kindly?
I also draw, kind of.
KeiichiO wrote:You shall now, and forever be known as, "Steinherz, The Great".
Oddball wrote:It's an obvious mistake. Both are disfigured orphans that read alot and both wear green skirts.
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

There's quite a few bad jokes that the fandom just won't let go of for some reason. It can be quite annoying at times.

Why is it that whenever someone on the internet has a negative opinion that differs from someone else's, they're automatically labeled "butthurt?"
I've never understood why anybody would even want to use that word. It's about the stupidest sounding insult out there.
Not Dead Yet
misterprinny

Post by misterprinny »

You could say this about any fandom, really. Just how fandoms are.

Just ignore them. Best advice I could possibly give.
Head Editor at Stewart-Class 7 Studios, an OELVN studio similar to 4LS. Please check out our blog and website and our forums.
Coleman

Post by Coleman »

MishaAtHerEmiest wrote:you outright disrespect a character with an actual backstory, personality, depth.
Finally someone calling everyone out for their mistreatment of Jigoro. :P

I think most of what Umber said covers how I feel about it. I don't believe finding the anal scene amusing and joking about it means people are disrespecting Emi (although some have that intent). The slut thing is a massive misunderstanding though. I feel like Hisao and Emi have the most natural chemistry of all the pairings so her being so forward is being misinterpreted by them. Emi is a year older than Hisao, it shouldn't be a big deal that she has had sex before meeting him.

Unless you are so religious that you believe abstinence only is a real thing I really don't understand what problem you could have with Emi. I guess the game might be too real for them. Yeah, i went there. :lol:
Preferences: 1-Lilly 2-Emi 3-Hanako 4-Rin 5-Shizune
Play Order: 1-Hanako 2-Shizune 3-Emi 4-Lilly 5-Rin
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

MishaAtHerEmiest wrote:Don't get me wrong. I love Katawa Shoujo and it's characters. It's beautiful.
But the fandom, man. Although it has its gems, some of you are just, well, assholes. I'll give you one reason.
"Anal lol XD!" Stop. You claim you don't play the game for the sex scenes, and you outright disrespect a character with an actual backstory, personality, depth. It's an extremely insignificant part of her route, and yet you call her a slut (slut-shaming is not okay, just a side note) and claim that she cheats on Hisao. The sex scene you guys claim to not care about is one of the biggest running jokes and leads a character to be shamed and put down.
I'm not just saying this because I love Emi, I'm saying this because it's true. A friend who doesn't even play the game but knows the fandom pointed this out to me.

What's that? A fandom has running jokes?

Seriously, cry me a river.

1) Running jokes don't make people assholes. If anything, calling all of these people who've never (to your knowledge) done a thing to anyone assholes makes YOU an asshole. (Note this is not me calling you an asshole. But it is implying it. I mean, really, who's a bigger asshole? The people who are JUST JOKING or the guy calling everyone assholes because he doesn't like the joke?)

21) Running jokes aren't disrespecting or shaming anyone. Really, how many have actually stated "I am disrespecting Emi."? None, I'll bet. Probably because none were ever actually disrespecting her. It's a running joke. Emphasis on joke. Get over it.

3) As for those who call Emi a slut...So? She is (or was) a slut. She had a history of using sex to emulate relationships without ever becoming truly invested in them. She continues this habit with Hisao for quite a time as well. I don't know what world you're living in but that's pretty slutty around here in reality. Those people are absolutely correct. Prior to the (good) ending, Emi is indeed a slut.

4) "I didn't play for the sex scenes" doesn't mean "I didn't care about and will never reference or joke about the sex scenes ever." Quit acting like it does.

5) Hating the fandom for one running joke...Well, that's an inexcusably dumb as hell overreaction. Maybe it's hyperbole but in that case, it rather spoils your entire argument if you go exaggerating about it.
Last edited by Xanatos on Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
<KeiichiO>: "That's a beautiful response to chocolate."
StudyOfWumbology

Post by StudyOfWumbology »

Xanatos wrote:
First off, Xanatos, where the fuck do you find these videos?! And secondly, I agree to what you're saying and I do believe that you do have quite a point.
Things happen. For the best or for the worst we do not know.
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

StudyOfWumbology wrote:
Xanatos wrote:
First off, Xanatos, where the fuck do you find these videos?! And secondly, I agree to what you're saying and I do believe that you do have quite a point.
Well, that one was the Nostalgia Critic. One of his funnier bits. Here's the full video. :P (The first post just had the phrase in big letters but I thought linking the video would be funnier.)
Last edited by Xanatos on Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
<KeiichiO>: "That's a beautiful response to chocolate."
Coleman

Post by Coleman »

Xanatos wrote:As for those who call Emi a slut...So? She is (or was) a slut. She had a history of using sex to emulate relationships without ever becoming truly invested in them. She continues this habit with Hisao for quite a time as well. I don't know what world you're living in but that's pretty slutty around here in reality. Those people are absolutely correct. Prior to the (good) ending, Emi is indeed a slut.
Slut is a pejorative term with negative connotations. Promiscuous maybe. I personally read her motivations differently.
Preferences: 1-Lilly 2-Emi 3-Hanako 4-Rin 5-Shizune
Play Order: 1-Hanako 2-Shizune 3-Emi 4-Lilly 5-Rin
StudyOfWumbology

Post by StudyOfWumbology »

Coleman wrote: Slut is a pejorative term with negative connotations. Promiscuous maybe. I personally read her motivations differently.
I think Emi just want a "friends that fuck" kind of relationship at the beginning, but when she opened up to Hisao it like totally changed.
Things happen. For the best or for the worst we do not know.