Why I Hate This Fandom

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Umber

Re: Why I Hate This Fandom

Post by Umber »

Guest Poster wrote:
But yes, Emi did have sex with Hisao before their relationship was official (as official as they get by description in KS, anyways)
Actually, they didn't. Emi and Hisao started dating after that kiss on the rooftop. Their first time was several scenes after that and it was implied some time passed between the two.
Oh shoot. Thanks for pointing this out. I wish we had strikethroughs on these forums...
Editedit.
-An occasional art thread.
pig dissections and cadaver examinations.
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

Is Emi a slut?
Wiktionary wrote:slut (noun): A sexually promiscuous woman or girl.
Wiktionary wrote:(sexuallyy) promiscious (adjective): Indiscriminate in choice of sexual partners.
So... Is Emi indiscriminate in her choice of sexual partners?
Even if we assume she had sex with her previous boyfriend, there is no indication anywhere that she had sex outside of a relationship.
So by the definition of the word, Emi is not a slut.

P.S.:
I really like the definitions urban dictionary provides, even though they are probably not relevant to this argument:
urban dictionary wrote:1. a woman with the morals of a man
urban dictionary wrote:2. Someone who provides a very needed service for the community and sleeps with everyone, even the guy that has no shot at getting laid...
urban dictionary wrote:3. ...In some cases, used to refer to a woman who is wearing "skimpy" or tasteless clothing. ...
Hmm... Do gym clothes count as "skimpy"? :mrgreen:
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

Mirage_GSM wrote:So by the definition of the word, Emi is not a slut.
The dictionary's definition of the word, perhaps. But being bound up by some book's definitions is rather arbitrary. Just ask anyone who has ever said "ain't" or used slang only to be bitchslapped by a Webster fanatic. :lol: She's not a slut by the common definition but I think she might be one by urbandictionary's (morals of a man and all) and certainly is (or was) by mine.

And yes, gym clothes are for hookers. :P
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
<KeiichiO>: "That's a beautiful response to chocolate."
inquisitivenegro

Post by inquisitivenegro »

Better we mock what we love than worship pillow shrines and write sloppy fan-fiction fileld with self-gratifying sex
$50 says I live more South than all of you
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

inquisitivenegro wrote:Better we mock what we love than worship pillow shrines and write sloppy fan-fiction fileld with self-gratifying sex
Mocking what you love is great. :lol: I do it nightly on a livestream of 60 or so regulars. :P
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
Dream

Post by Dream »

I think we should drive this topic away from Emi's alleged sexual promiscuity and the more interesting topic of analyzing some of the more... Questionable, attitudes of the Katawa Shoujo fandom (not necessarily just the fandom in this forum, of course)

Personally, i'm somewhat bothered by how soft and cuddly a lot of the fandom is, there's nothing wrong with being emotional, but... Anyways.

By the way, i think a lot of the discussion regarding the jokes comes from certain misunderstanding in some aspects combined with a different general life experience and worldview.
Last edited by Dream on Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
"It is not reason, more or less furnished, but will that makes the world march"

"Unfortunately, if you can think of something really stupid, someone out there probably believes it." -Xanatos
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

Xanatos wrote:
Mirage_GSM wrote:So by the definition of the word, Emi is not a slut.
The dictionary's definition of the word, perhaps. But being bound up by some book's definitions is rather arbitrary. Just ask anyone who has ever said "ain't" or used slang only to be bitchslapped by a Webster fanatic. :lol: She's not a slut by the common definition but I think she might be one by urbandictionary's (morals of a man and all) and certainly is (or was) by mine.
wiktionary wrote:arbitrary (adjective): Based on individual discretion or judgment; not based on any objective distinction, perhaps even made at random.
Using the dictionary definition is not arbitrary. Using your own is. :mrgreen:

Seriously, I think using the dictionary definition is always a good fallback when you can't agree on a definition otherwise.
I think we should drive this topic away from Emi's alleged sexual promiscuity and the more interesting topic of analyzing some of the more... Questionable, attitudes of the Katawa Shoujo fandom (not necessarily just the fandom in this forum, of course)
Ah, that's the crux, isn't it? I have no idea what part of the "fandom" the OP was complaining about. I don't think he was talking about this forum. (If he did I'd say he is exaggerating the problem quite a bit.)
If he was referring to posts on 4chan... Well, I don't see the value in discussing that. That would be like going to a brothel and then complaining about all the prostitutes.
Last edited by Mirage_GSM on Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
Enemy |

Post by Enemy | »

Remember the Bacon Tagging thread?
Yeah.
Dream

Post by Dream »

Mirage_GSM wrote:Ah, that's the crux, isn't it? I have no idea what part of the "fandom" the OP was complaining about. I don't think he was talking about this forum. (If he did I'd say he is exaggerating the problem quite a bit.)
If he was referring to posts on 4chan... Well, I don't see the value in discussing that. That would be like going to a brothel and then complaining about all the prostitutes.
I beg you not to take this personally, but this actually brings up something that bothered me from how people reacted in this thread: Yes, the title is rather antagonistic, but does it matter? I don't think it's enought as to make a deal out of it. Yes he was being somewhat direct in his title and OP, but chiding him for that feels rather... Silly, i think. However, i would agree that in here, bacon incident aside, there really isn't all that much disrespect towards the heroines.
Remember the Bacon Tagging thread?
Yeah.
A very intense (and disheartening, for some) moment in this forum's history indeed.
"It is not reason, more or less furnished, but will that makes the world march"

"Unfortunately, if you can think of something really stupid, someone out there probably believes it." -Xanatos
nemz

Post by nemz »

Dream wrote:Personally, i'm somewhat bothered by how soft and cuddly a lot of the fandom is, there's nothing wrong with being emotional, but... Anyways.
Agreed, though I'd like to give people the benefit of the doubt and assume they go on and on about 'teh feels' because for whatever reason it's what they think is expected. It's the equivalent of kids acting way more intoxicated then they actually are after a few puffs on a joint, or people getting so caught up in a religious fervor they convince themselves to 'speak in tongues' or other such complete nonsense.
Rin > Shizune > Emi > Hanako > Lilly
CreedKeeper25

Post by CreedKeeper25 »

The first I heard of Katawa Shoujo was actually on YouTube. A commentator named Chilled Chaos made a series where he read the story on his channel. However, he underestimated the fandom that came with it. All across his videos I saw comments demanding he continue the series, as he'd stopped after the Hanako and Emi arsc. People were very... insistent that he finish the entire novel. (For instance, one of the top comments on one of his videos was threatening to cut his dick off if he didn't continue) In fact, it was partially due to this that he privatized the series a few months ago, as he didn't want to deal with the constant demands.

So yes, the fandom can get out of hand sometimes, there's no arguing that point. However, were it not for these same people commenting for him to finish it on his videos, I never would have discovered this game and the better aspects of the community that came with it. So in a way, I'm somewhat grateful to the more fanatic aspects of the community.
SpecimenSix wrote:And not crying when you read KS doesn't mean you're a man. It means you have no soul. :lol:
Hanabro
OtakuNinja

Post by OtakuNinja »

StudyOfWumbology wrote:
Xanatos wrote:
What's that? A fandom has running jokes?
First off, Xanatos, where the fuck do you find these videos?! And secondly, I agree to what you're saying and I do believe that you do have quite a point.
This. :lol:

@Xanatos, seems like you can be trusted after all. Or was it because it was about Emi? :P
pandaphil wrote:She just has a "Healthy adolescent sex drive" is all.
You're thinking about Lilly. Emi is only 10. :P

@OP You like Emi and hate the entire fandom for that little joke? Think about all the Hanabros out there (bacon, chocolate) and all the Lilly Lovers, who constantly battles the Shizuists.
Emibro, Hanabro, [Lilly Lover], Rin Kin, Feminist, Two-timer
(Passively working on my KS YouTube series. Someday...)
StudyOfWumbology

Post by StudyOfWumbology »

OtakuNinja wrote: You're thinking about Lilly. Emi is only 10. :P
I thought that we agreed she was 12.
Last edited by StudyOfWumbology on Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Things happen. For the best or for the worst we do not know.
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

Mirage_GSM wrote:Using the dictionary definition is not arbitrary. Using your own is. :mrgreen:

:P The dictionary definition is just an arbitrary thing people arbitrarily agree with. No more reason to it than any other. :P

And don't bring 4chan into this... :lol: That place is for hobos.
OtakuNinja

Post by OtakuNinja »

StudyOfWumbology wrote:
OtakuNinja wrote: You're thinking about Lilly. Emi is only 10. :P
I thought that we agreed she was 12.
Shall we say 11? :P
Emibro, Hanabro, [Lilly Lover], Rin Kin, Feminist, Two-timer
(Passively working on my KS YouTube series. Someday...)