Immersion

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

dragomman

Immersion

Post by dragomman »

Just finished 100% and made a final run through in lilly's arc and after all of this i began to wonder what experience everyone else has with these kind of things. What i mean more specifically is to what level of immersion do you allow your self to reach in stories? i see so many people who complain about certain parts of the story or who focus on either the attractiveness of the girls or the predictability of the stories. This shows me that not everyone has the same experience of being completely drawn into the story to the point where reality becomes the fiction. I just want to know how deep you really got into this or if it was just words on pictures for you.

I personally immerse my self to the highest level i believe possible, i use noise canceling headphones, turn off all lights but my computer and seclude myself during the duration of the experience. Due to this i forget who i am really and live through the story feeling every emotion and thinking the thoughts of Hisao along with him. This has also allowed me to get what i feel is a deeper understanding of the characters far beyond what is written. In this way i felt the tears that fell from certain parts were truly genuine and not just some overreaction to a plot twist or touching moment. Though the down side is now every time i hear the music box i start to tear up... its not even a conscious effort, it just happens without me noticing xD a wee bit of KS brainwashing i suppose =P

Please do share your approach to this story and how you truly saw it.
Umbra
Location: i have tasted the maggots of the mind of the universe

Re: Immersion

Post by Umbra »

I personally prefer to do important things in isolation, so I'd run through the less significant parts of the routes whenever possible. But once I've felt something big was coming up (should we get more comfortable?), I'd close the game and cliffhang myself 'til I was alone in my room (usually until midnight or so.) I'd then visit the cornerstore to pick up some munchies, make some tea, get myself comfortable and proceed with the story. I have a really vivid imagination, so I get immersed easily in whatever I'm doing.

I like cosy things :3
(not me, but this is sweet)

I like music. If you like music too, and have similar tastes, you might want to add me on last.fm.
Tezuka

Post by Tezuka »

I would have to say that I attempted to reach the highest level of immersion that I could when reading. I turned off the lights, curled up in my covers with my laptop underneath them with some snacks and drinks so I wouldn't have to go anywhere. I also have a habit of inserting myself as Hisao and it just amplifies the feels. I also found that I just couldn't stop once I got going. So far I've only played through Rin's route but I have to wait before I play through the next one Emi. There were just too many feels for me to go ahead and continue to another route.
StudyOfWumbology

Post by StudyOfWumbology »

When I first started to play this game I would only play it around midnight so that my parents wouldn't question me. I would pull my laptop under my sheets and just play until sunrise. It was most likely some of the most antisocial times I have ever been in.
Things happen. For the best or for the worst we do not know.
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

I just played the game. I'm alone in my room most of the time anyway, no preparation needed.
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
<KeiichiO>: "That's a beautiful response to chocolate."
StudyOfWumbology

Post by StudyOfWumbology »

Xanatos wrote:I just played the game. I'm alone in my room most of the time anyway, no preparation needed.
I wish it were that easy for me, my parents were always nagging me to do stuff so I could never do it during the day.
Things happen. For the best or for the worst we do not know.
dragomman

Post by dragomman »

Also due to my level of complete imersion i never really saw it as a game. In my experience it is more of a story that you have some control over, though not enough to really classify as a true game. Though 4ls made it as a game, i interpretted it differently
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

dragomman wrote:a story that you have some control over
So...A game? :P
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
YZQ

Post by YZQ »

Stuck at about 93% cause my parents are around in the house most of the time, and I'm at Shizune's route, at the lovers' tryst in the Student Council Room. I play KS windowed, so I tend to open external songs to play. (Outasight's "I'll Drink to That" comes to mind.)
"Nothing is beneath man. Everything is permitted."

"...since love and fear can hardly exist together, if we must choose between them, it is far safer to be feared than loved. However, it is important above all to avoid being hated."
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

YZQ wrote:Stuck at about 93% cause my parents are around in the house most of the time, and I'm at Shizune's route, at the lovers' tryst in the Student Council Room. I play KS windowed, so I tend to open external songs to play. (Outasight's "I'll Drink to That" comes to mind.)
...Do your parents magically prevent playing the game? :lol:

Also, YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG, YOU HEATHEN! :evil: :P
Fiandra

Post by Fiandra »

I would contort myself to a weird position to play KS. But that way I would be comfortable. Played around 1AM-Sunrise because my concentration is at max when I'm sleepy, used headphones because speakers sucked, and fullscreen.
@Ygdrasel wrote:All's fair in poop and war.
-Insert favorite KS girls here-
teh twitter
teh steem
YZQ

Post by YZQ »

Xanatos wrote:
YZQ wrote:Stuck at about 93% cause my parents are around in the house most of the time, and I'm at Shizune's route, at the lovers' tryst in the Student Council Room. I play KS windowed, so I tend to open external songs to play. (Outasight's "I'll Drink to That" comes to mind.)

Just don't want to answer awkward questions, and yeah, know I'm not doing the BGMs of the game justice.

"...since love and fear can hardly exist together, if we must choose between them, it is far safer to be feared than loved. However, it is important above all to avoid being hated."
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

YZQ wrote:
Xanatos wrote:

Just don't want to answer awkward questions, and yeah, know I'm not doing the BGMs of the game justice.
You're not doing any of it justice. :P
pandaphil

Post by pandaphil »

I'm with these guys. The music is so much a part of the emotional experience.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant." ~ The Doctor.
YZQ

Post by YZQ »

I do crazy mix-ups like that. Even tried fitting in the girls somewhere in the start-up tune of "Game of Thrones", complete with clockwork scenery.