Who's your favorite and least favorite character?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Tomate

Re: Who's your favorite and least favorite character?

Post by Tomate »

Oddball wrote:At least when Jigoro showed up, he could be interesting. Not necessarily likeable, mind you, but interesting. Some of his lines and his interaction with Misha was just gold. He also had a really cool character design, I thought.

Hideaki... there was just nothing. The guy had the personality of a hunk of cardboard. Not even an interesting hunk of cardboard either. Whenever he showed up, I just cringed at the unfunny "comedy" that I knew was coming. The only good parts he had where when he was dire3ctly interacting with Akira, and that's more due to Akira's reactions to him than any character traits he has on his own.

Even the antique shop guy had a stronger personality than he did.
Finally, we both agree on something.
Don't just eat that hamburger, eat the HELL out of it!
Nobody in Particular

Post by Nobody in Particular »

Favourite character would be Rin. Only real character I could relate to and really liked her indifference to most things. Plus she was hilarious in Act 1.

Least favourite would be Hanako. She was too boring a character for my liking and her shyness and timidness was kind of annoying.
KeiichiO

Post by KeiichiO »

Nobody in Particular wrote:Favourite character would be Rin. Only real character I could relate to and really liked her indifference to most things. Plus she was hilarious in Act 1.

Least favourite would be Hanako. She was too boring a character for my liking and her shyness and timidness was kind of annoying.
Rin is pretty funny. I'm not sure if she means to be though.

And I can understand what you mean about Hanako. Her story was annoying at times because she is just so damn shy. Hisao would hang out with her, she would open up more and have a good time. But then the next time you see her, it's like she forgot all that and goes back to her shyness. I feel her story was a little slow, but I still like her the best. I'm not sure why, possible because I've always loved shy girls and have a thing for purple hair. (Had a crush on Hinata from Naruto. She and Hanako are similar in some ways.)
pandaphil

Post by pandaphil »

I'm the opposite. Though I still like her, Rin was just too out there for me to really connect with in a meaningful way. Hanako I can though, since I know how it feels to be alone and nervous around others. I wonder if her social anxiety is similar to depression? There are good days, and bad days, where she can blow a percieved wrong word or a passing glance way out of proportion.
Last edited by pandaphil on Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant." ~ The Doctor.
CreedKeeper25

Post by CreedKeeper25 »

Oddball wrote: Even the antique shop guy had a stronger personality than he did.
He needed more exposition dammit. I wanted to know more about him
SpecimenSix wrote:And not crying when you read KS doesn't mean you're a man. It means you have no soul. :lol:
Hanabro
MadTeddyBear

Post by MadTeddyBear »

pandaphil wrote:I'm the opposite. Though I still like her, Rin was just too out there for me to really connect with in a meaningful way. Hanako I can though, since I know how it feels to be alone and nervous around others. I wonder if her social anxiety can be related to depression? There are good days, and bad days, where she can blow a percieved wrong word or a passing glance way out of proportion.
She never really felt depressed. Whenever Hanako was within her comfort zone she was relaxed and cheerful, which doesn't strike me as clinical depression. I agree that it seems like she could easily blow a comment or glance out of proportion, but it seems like that's just a symptom of her social anxiety. When she's at her worst, it feels like it's just caused by a false sense of guilt that eventually passes.

And on the original topic:
Favorite - Shizune, I just really liked her competitive nature and how she tried do everything as well as it could be done (even if she screwed a few things up in the process...)
Least Favorite - Nomiya after finishing Rin's story (Jigoro was a close second. He's an ass, but he was funny)
KeiichiO

Post by KeiichiO »

MadTeddyBear wrote:Least Favorite - Nomiya after finishing Rin's story (Jigoro was a close second. He's an ass, but he was funny)
I have yet to finish Rin's route, but Nomiya seems like a flamboyant nice guy... but since lots of people hate him, I'm guessing he does someting horrible... NO DON"T TELL ME!!!
Nobody in Particular

Post by Nobody in Particular »

RIN IS ACTUALLY NOMIYA IN DISGUISE.
KeiichiO wrote: Rin is pretty funny. I'm not sure if she means to be though.
That's what added to the hilarity. Well for me anyway.
pandaphil

Post by pandaphil »

MadTeddyBear wrote:
She never really felt depressed. Whenever Hanako was within her comfort zone she was relaxed and cheerful, which doesn't strike me as clinical depression. I agree that it seems like she could easily blow a comment or glance out of proportion, but it seems like that's just a symptom of her social anxiety. When she's at her worst, it feels like it's just caused by a false sense of guilt that eventually passes.
Oops sorry. Blame that on my bad typing. What I meant was, that her social anxiety seems to operate just like depression, re havign good and bad days.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant." ~ The Doctor.
Denouement

Post by Denouement »

Still don't agree with people who find Hideaki lacking in a personality. Those types of characters are pretty distinct to me, just as much as anyone else.

My favorite is Rin I guess. My least favorite is Jigoro because his aggression and pride was seemingly so misplaced and it sucked anything pleasant from the atmosphere of any scene he was unfortunately in. People like that in reality are hard for me to tolerate.
Steinherz

Post by Steinherz »

Denouement wrote:Jigoro because his aggression and pride was seemingly so misplaced and it sucked anything pleasant from the atmosphere of any scene he was unfortunately in. People like that in reality are hard for me to tolerate.
I think people like that are pretty hard for anyone to tolerate. Just my opnion :lol:
I write take a look, would you kindly?
I also draw, kind of.
KeiichiO wrote:You shall now, and forever be known as, "Steinherz, The Great".
Oddball wrote:It's an obvious mistake. Both are disfigured orphans that read alot and both wear green skirts.
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

KeiichiO wrote:
MadTeddyBear wrote:Least Favorite - Nomiya after finishing Rin's story (Jigoro was a close second. He's an ass, but he was funny)
I have yet to finish Rin's route, but Nomiya seems like a flamboyant nice guy... but since lots of people hate him, I'm guessing he does someting horrible... NO DON"T TELL ME!!!
He rapes Mutou.
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
<KeiichiO>: "That's a beautiful response to chocolate."
KeiichiO

Post by KeiichiO »

Xanatos wrote:
KeiichiO wrote:
He rapes Mutou.
Talk about one hell of a plot twist. Goddamn!
ProfAllister

Post by ProfAllister »

Xanatos wrote:
KeiichiO wrote:
He rapes Mutou.
It was consensual damn it! Read the text! Look at the facial expressions! Pay attention to the context of the scenes before and after it! Honestly, I'd have expected you to be more perceptive.

Favorite would be Misha, though there are quite a few close behind her.

Least favorite would be Miki or Yuuko. I still don't understand why Miki was necessary at all. Yuuko, on the other hand, I feel was just a little... extraneous. I have trouble really getting inside her head, so it's too easy to see her as clumsy and nervous, followed by a bit of deus ex machina-style zen that leads to Hisao's enlightenment.

Also, Othello (the antique store owner) is Best Girl.

And most finally, there's no "official" statement on Misha's sexuality. That being said, The Hivemind is very forthcoming with his opinion that she's 100% lesbian. But that's because he's a die hard for shipping Misha and Emi.
Current Project: Misha Pseudo-Route

Discord ID: ProfAllister#9754
Discord server
Denouement

Post by Denouement »

Steinherz wrote:I think people like that are pretty hard for anyone to tolerate. Just my opnion :lol:
Haha well I thought that but I am incredibly hesitant to make broad statements. But yeah, most people would probably find him insufferable I think.