What arc should i try next?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

NoddingDog

Re: My experience with Katawa Shouju

Post by NoddingDog »

I know I know, I was only planning on playing it through once just to see what it's like. It took me almost a week doing Lily's story and... I think I might be here a while. I'm thinking of doing Rin's storyline next, she caught my intrest in the first act too.

Anyway, ta for the replies X) I'll have a look around every now and then on here for forums :)
Denouement

Re: Dissussion about the order in which you play the routes.

Post by Denouement »

I had the pleasure of doing Emi and Rin's one right after the other, and also Lilly and Hanako as well, with Shizune in the middle, allowing for that "ex" or "guilty" feeling. I can appreciate the paths in their own way, but indeed Shizune was kind of annoying. The uptight, strict, pushy personality really rubbed me the wrong way. The way she judges and gets ticked off at small things are signs of someone who just isn't pleasant to be around. Went from wanting to do her path first to third because of her personality, only selecting her before Lilly and Hanako because honestly they didn't come off interesting in the first arc, particularly Hanako. It was really surprising for me when I did Lilly's and found her to be great. Hanako, and I don't mean this pejoratively, was what I expected in that regard.
metalangel

Post by metalangel »

Go with whoever you get the first time - make whatever choices you like.

Then, consider pursuing whichever girl you are interested in (if you didn't get her the first time around), including a walkthrough to ensure you end up on her path if necessary.
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

metalangel wrote:Go with whoever you get the first time - make whatever choices you like.

Then, consider pursuing whichever girl you are interested in (if you didn't get her the first time around), including a walkthrough to ensure you end up on her path if necessary.
Walkthroughs are cheating. Get at least one ending for each girl before you even think about touching a walkthrough. Two endings would be preferable.
Not Dead Yet
Substance

Re: Is anyone unwilling to do the bad/neutral endings?

Post by Substance »

I understand people saying I'm missing out, and why they might think that, but for me a story ends how I want it to end. When I play games with moral choices, I choose the good choices and never replay for the bad endings. It's not that I don't enjoy sad stories, I've read many sad stories, watched many sad movies and played games with sad endings. But when the choice is mine, I will make sure as many people get as happy an ending as possible, I'm just that kind of guy.

And that is why while Hanako was my favourite character, Lillys route is my favourite as two of the girls get happy endings, and I really thought seeing her façade crumble and see how much her and Hisao really felt about each other really touched me. You might disagree and think I'm missing out, but I'm not, the story made me happy and that's perfectly fine by me.
Denouement

Post by Denouement »

Not everyone sees it as you do, to me Kawata Shoujo is a story, the options merely being ways in which it changes. It wasn't really a matter of cheating but just wanting to see the story (the first time around preferring the best ending). The only time I didn't "cheat" was just through the first playthrough of the first arc just to see what one it would girl it'd give me (and under the misconception I could have significant, obvious control for who I get).
Enemy |

Post by Enemy | »

Oddball wrote:
metalangel wrote:Go with whoever you get the first time - make whatever choices you like.

Walkthroughs are cheating. Get at least one ending for each girl before you even think about touching a walkthrough. Two endings would be preferable.
I think he meant a walkthrough just to get into someone's route
Xanatos

Re: My experience with Katawa Shouju

Post by Xanatos »

NoddingDog wrote:I know I know, I was only planning on playing it through once just to see what it's like. It took me almost a week doing Lily's story and... I think I might be here a while. I'm thinking of doing Rin's storyline next, she caught my intrest in the first act too.

Anyway, ta for the replies X) I'll have a look around every now and then on here for forums :)

Rin's, eh? Heh. Enjoy.
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
<KeiichiO>: "That's a beautiful response to chocolate."
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

I used a walkthrough only twice. Once after repeated manly picnics failing to get into a route. And once for that one tricky scene that everyone used a walkthrough on.

As for order:

> Emi (accidental)

Hanako (intended first)

> Lilly (because it was related to Hanako's)

> Rin's (She grew on me...)

> Shizune (saved for last because I expected she'd be sort of bitchy. xD I was incorrect, granted.)

This order did not affect my preference or views in any noticeable way. My preference, for the record, is as follows:

1) Lilly because I'm a sucker for her type.

2) Hanako is a close second because I'm also a sucker for her type.

3) Rin ties with Emi at third. I could not favor one over the other for a variety of reasons I don't care to elaborate.

4) Shizune came last because the lack of voice (given that she is a mute, storywise, I have no mental voice for her) left me with a sense of disconnection.
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
nemz

Post by nemz »

First I got Shizune just by not being a total dick to the nice girls who were helping me get settled in. Then I did the exact opposite on every choice I was presented and ended up with that troublemaker Emi. With a more thoughtful effort I then went through Hanako and Lilly's routes, intentionally saving Rin for last (not counting some final efforts with a flowchart to pick up the scenes I missed along the way.
Rin > Shizune > Emi > Hanako > Lilly
metalangel

Post by metalangel »

Enemy | wrote:
Oddball wrote:

I think he meant a walkthrough just to get into someone's route
Correct. I wanted Shizune, ended up with Emi. Played through her route, then when I started again I checked what I needed to do to get Shizune's route. That's all.
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

nemz wrote:that troublemaker Emi.
:lol: Harsh.
Shadowyeclipse

Post by Shadowyeclipse »

Best order to go in:

Emi first, then Hanako, possibly Shizune-Rin next, doesn't matter, and Lilly last.

Save the best route for last, always.

Emi's route is the most common one for first routes, and playing her route really does help you prevent getting the bad end in Hanako's route, don't be a filthy white-knight because what Emi addresses at some point in her route, I personally believe, if it was planned or coincidental, is an integral part to Hanako's route. You can't just swoop in and save someone and make everything all better by yourself.
Emibro, [Hanabro],[Lilly Lover], Rin Kin, Feminist, Two-timer

Currently: None.
To do list: Clannad, Chaos;Head, Steins;Gate
Finished: Toradora, Katawa Shoujo, Analogue: A hate story, Narcissu.
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

Shadowyeclipse wrote:Save the best route for last, always.

Emi's route is the most common one for first routes, and playing her route really does help you prevent getting the bad end in Hanako's route, don't be a filthy white-knight because what Emi addresses at some point in her route, I personally believe, if it was planned or coincidental, is an integral part to Hanako's route. You can't just swoop in and save someone and make everything all better by yourself.
So Shizune should be last. Got it. :mrgreen:

And Emi's route didn't help me with Hanako's at all. :lol:
Ruined

Post by Ruined »

I got Hanako on my first attempt and it was unintended. I do not however recommend you to do Hanako's route first because I had a lot of hard feelings playing other routes, Shizune especially. Also I agree with putting Lilly's route last, because I played Lilly's route second and I couldn't relate to other routes somehow (maybe because Lilly's route was too much for me already?)

So after finishing the game, I recommend you to go on the following order, Emi, Rin, Shizune, Hanako and then Lilly. I also strongly recommend all to play without using walk through of any kind the first time to see who you could get based on your own personal choices.
Lilly because of her healthy adolescent sex drive.