The Music of Katawa Shoujo

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

rotorko

Re: The Music of Katawa Shoujo

Post by rotorko »

Well for me the music was great! I really can´t picture the game without it, and i won´t even try it. It was really emotional for me with that kind of music there. There is only one or two songs, their names i can´t remember now, that i really´ve gotten to hate. But songs like Shadow of the Truth, or Nocturne or Moment of Decision are really great with the game. I just tense up when i hear these songs, because i was like "oh shit, this is gonna be bad". And it almost always was.

Love this game. Love the music. I am just addicted to it i guess :D
´...´ - Shizune!
pandaphil

Post by pandaphil »

Umbra wrote:Well, I'd say that it's not the soundtrack itself that's great (although it's certainly well-made), it's rather that we tie what we've read/seen in the game with the tune that was playing at the time. So when we listen to the soundtrack separately, the experience is enhanced by the feels we've experienced.
The two really are linked. Certain scenes are made more powerful with the inclusion of the music. But at the same time you need the scenes so you'll have something to remember when you hear the music again.

rotorko wrote:Well for me the music was great! I really can´t picture the game without it, and i won´t even try it. It was really emotional for me with that kind of music there. There is only one or two songs, their names i can´t remember now, that i really´ve gotten to hate. But songs like Shadow of the Truth, or Nocturne or Moment of Decision are really great with the game. I just tense up when i hear these songs, because i was like "oh shit, this is gonna be bad". And it almost always was.

Love this game. Love the music. I am just addicted to it i guess :D

Ah I know. I start to tear up the instant I hear the first few notes of certain pieces.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant." ~ The Doctor.
dernCereal

Post by dernCereal »

i basically listened to ONLY red velvet for 3 days on loop
Umber

Post by Umber »

dernCereal wrote:i basically listened to ONLY red velvet for 3 days on loop
Listened to nothing but Parity for a couple of days.

Then Parity Jam for a while.

Now "Daylight Like It's Hot" is stuck in my head.
-An occasional art thread.
pig dissections and cadaver examinations.
LC_GOV

Post by LC_GOV »

Personally, I think that Wiosna and Parity are one of the best songs in the entire game. The piano in each is just so tantalizing. A song I don't like however is Stride. The beginning just creeps me out.
Umber

Post by Umber »

LC_GOV wrote:Personally, I think that Wiosna and Parity are one of the best songs in the entire game. The piano in each is just so tantalizing. A song I don't like however is Stride. The beginning just creeps me out.
Agreed.

Stride makes me think something terrible is going to happen, and then...
Dandelions and sunflowers, oh my.
-An occasional art thread.
pig dissections and cadaver examinations.
Steinherz

Post by Steinherz »

Umber wrote:
LC_GOV wrote:Personally, I think that Wiosna and Parity are one of the best songs in the entire game. The piano in each is just so tantalizing. A song I don't like however is Stride. The beginning just creeps me out.
Agreed.

Stride makes me think something terrible is going to happen, and then...
Dandelions and sunflowers, oh my.
I like to call that a "troll note".
You think it's going to be one thing, then something completely opposite happens XD
I write take a look, would you kindly?
I also draw, kind of.
KeiichiO wrote:You shall now, and forever be known as, "Steinherz, The Great".
Oddball wrote:It's an obvious mistake. Both are disfigured orphans that read alot and both wear green skirts.
Legend

Post by Legend »

In the contrary, I love Stride. The beginning scared me a couple times, thinking i did something wrong, but then I remembered it was Stride and laughed a lot.
Parity is great too, but I don't think I'm alone to think that... And dat Parity Jam too, one of the best Space Jam mashups !
EzeCoyote

Post by EzeCoyote »

The calmer parts of the soundtrack to this game, especially "Caged Heart", "Painful History" and "Aria de l'Etoile" has a tendency to bring me into an almost frozen state. I get so introverted and wrapped up in my own thoughts I don't even know what I'm thinking of myself.
Friends've had to snap me out of an almost hypnotic state when I gaze off into the distance, seemingly distant from everyone and almost drifted out of consciousness.

It happens to me on an occacional basis that I'll drift off and usually it takes me a minute to realize I'm still on planet Earth, but this soundtrack freezes me and it takes me longer to emerge from my bliss.

It's a dreamlike state. My eyes go blurry and my vision fades slightly, I hear my heartbeat more clearly in a slow rhythm and whatever motion I was in is seemingly paused if only to remain enough balance to stay upright, yet I feel myself swaying back and forth as if my legs were to give in any second.

I can't tell if the music is effecting me on a subconscious level.
LC_GOV

Post by LC_GOV »

EzeCoyote wrote:The calmer parts of the soundtrack to this game, especially "Caged Heart", "Painful History" and "Aria de l'Etoile" has a tendency to bring me into an almost frozen state. I get so introverted and wrapped up in my own thoughts I don't even know what I'm thinking of myself.
Friends've had to snap me out of an almost hypnotic state when I gaze off into the distance, seemingly distant from everyone and almost drifted out of consciousness.

It happens to me on an occacional basis that I'll drift off and usually it takes me a minute to realize I'm still on planet Earth, but this soundtrack freezes me and it takes me longer to emerge from my bliss.

It's a dreamlike state. My eyes go blurry and my vision fades slightly, I hear my heartbeat more clearly in a slow rhythm and whatever motion I was in is seemingly paused if only to remain enough balance to stay upright, yet I feel myself swaying back and forth as if my legs were to give in any second.

I can't tell if the music is effecting me on a subconscious level.
The slower piano songs in the game are the best. They are able to give you the sense of happiness or despair.
Tang

Post by Tang »

Dr. Casey wrote: Hokabi: Catchy song, one of the best pieces of music for one of the best girls (This is Emi's theme song)
Isn't that Standing Tall?

Raindrops and Puddles all the way. Afternoon was my favourite at first, before I realized it was all synth ;)
pandaphil wrote:I'd say Spin is my least favorite piece in the collection. Its late at night, I'm all prepped for an emotional experience, start the game, and this techno crap blares out of my speakers.
I hate the volume on that thing too. First thing to be deleted when I got the OST, followed by the music box (come on, do you really enjoy listening to it?)
KeiichiO

Post by KeiichiO »

Tang wrote:Raindrops and Puddles all the way. Afternoon was my favourite at first, before I realized it was all synth ;)
And that ruins the quality of the music? Logic, where is it?

Anyway, I've grown fond of Innocence. It's my new favorite song from KS, and I've even learned it on the piano. Though, It's hard to choose favorites. I love the entire soundtrack.
pandaphil

Post by pandaphil »

Dunno if I've posted this here before, but here's a nice little Medley. All the feels compressed into a 30 minute segment.

Tang wrote:
I hate the volume on that thing too. First thing to be deleted when I got the OST, followed by the music box (come on, do you really enjoy listening to it?)
Only during that scene in the hospital room. Its an odd melody that doesn't quite sound right.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant." ~ The Doctor.
Tang

Post by Tang »

KeiichiO wrote:
Tang wrote:Raindrops and Puddles all the way. Afternoon was my favourite at first, before I realized it was all synth ;)
Different people have different "values" of sorts regarding their tastes in music. I appreciate all sorts of music, including digitally-created music, but in this case, I just felt like it was too artificial, and didn't have the "human" touch that I was interested in for the KS OST. But I agree that it still is a top-notch song. (Just can't take #1 because it would be like giving a "Best Athlete" award to a robot). For the sake of un-argument, though, let's agree to disagree. :)
Selim Bradley

Post by Selim Bradley »

Tang wrote:
KeiichiO wrote:
Different people have different "values" of sorts regarding their tastes in music. I appreciate all sorts of music, including digitally-created music, but in this case, I just felt like it was too artificial, and didn't have the "human" touch that I was interested in for the KS OST. But I agree that it still is a top-notch song. (Just can't take #1 because it would be like giving a "Best Athlete" award to a robot). For the sake of un-argument, though, let's agree to disagree. :)
It does have a human touch though. A human made it.
I am the male version of Hanako Ikezawa.