The Music of Katawa Shoujo

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Banryu

The Music of Katawa Shoujo

Post by Banryu »

My guess is there's a thread for this somewhere already, but I'd also guess that it's well buried, and I want to start a new discussion topic anyway.

As I think back on the experience of Katawa Shoujo, I'm finding myself more and more inclined to think that Nicol Amarfi's music was probably the most brilliant part of the game. Even if you disagree, I don't think anyone's really going to come out and say that the KS soundtrack on a whole was by any means BAD, and it certainly is ONE of the better parts of it as a whole.

Think about it, now. I don't want to discredit the game's excellent writing or anything, but if you'd been playing the game with the music turned off, do you really think you'd have had the same emotional response you did (assuming you have a soul and therefore had a response)? Because, as I may have said once or twice, I'm not a crier-- and I'm beginning to doubt that I would have shed a single tear if I was reading this as a flat book without the musical accompaniment. Again, not to discredit the writing-- I'm sure it still would have had some effect on me and the writing in itself was definitely smart and sound and heartfelt, but I think the music is really what gave the game its tumultuously emotional effect. Music, I heard someone say once, is one of the purest forms of expression, and Katawa Shoujo probably shows that better than any game that comes to mind for me personally.

So with that said, let's discuss the music, I guess.

I like Breathlessly, Parity, Afternoon, Raindrops & Puddles, and Hokabi! the best myself.
Holy shit how do I practically have 50 posts already
Goddammit KS stop consuming my life
I mean it
sasquatch

Re: The Music of Katawa Shoujo

Post by sasquatch »

Well of course, music is one of the strongest mediums for producing emotions. The brilliance of this and probably other visual novel as well, is the combination of good storytelling/reading and good music.
(Did anyone see the ending of ET without the music on youtube? that was pretty funny and stupid :p)

All in all the music was indeed good, although some of the more repititive ones played the most it seemed to me.
Banryu

Post by Banryu »

sasquatch wrote: All in all the music was indeed good, although some of the more repititive ones played the most it seemed to me.
Such as?
Holy shit how do I practically have 50 posts already
Goddammit KS stop consuming my life
I mean it
sasquatch

Post by sasquatch »

Banryu wrote:
sasquatch wrote: All in all the music was indeed good, although some of the more repititive ones played the most it seemed to me.
Such as?
i don't really know all songs by heart but ummm... the school days song was kinda overused and not very good, as was the soundtrack thingy when u go to the next day and if you don't skip act 1 every playthrough you get really sick of the student council theme too.

Maybe i'm just forgetful but if these are the only examples that i can come up with then i might have to take my statement back :p

All in all i found the dramatic/tension music( shadow of the truth, breathlessly,...) to be the best as it should be, since conveying emtions in those scenes is the most important. Other songs were moodfilling at best, they're not works of art. And they're not supposed to be. That's what i tried to say, i liked almost all music at first btw :)
Dr. Casey

Post by Dr. Casey »

An incomplete list, but looking at the Katawa Shoujo soundtrack on Youtube...

Wiosna: Nice little song, and the one that's likely the most emblematic of Katawa Shoujo
Lullaby of Open Eyes: One of my favorites, very calming and relaxing
Hokabi: Catchy song, one of the best pieces of music for one of the best girls (This is Emi's theme song)
Stride: This is a very cool song. I don't know if this is Hisao's theme or not, but I think of it as such since it plays in so many solo scenes.
The Student Council: Okay song. Pretty relaxing.
Friendship: Lovely song, strong runner for best in the game.
Ease: I had to turn the music down for this song, because at full volume it hurts my ears for some reason, but it's an alright song.
Everyday Fantasy: You know a song's unique when you have trouble thinking of any fitting words to describe it. It's very calming and sets the mood well, too.
Nocturne: Okay song. Bit slow for my tastes.
Concord: A peaceful tune that fits Lilly incredibly well.
Red Velvet: Very charming in its jazziness and sets the mood well for Hisao's date with Lilly.
Cold Iron: The epitome of feels. This is Katawa Shoujo's "Oh shit" song, and it's very effective in establishing a foreboding and sinister mood.
Shadow of the Truth: Another very dark and powerful song.
Painful History: I might be biased as a Hanabro, but I think this is a pretty incredible song.
Comfort: I think this song is the most relaxing and, indeed, comforting of the peaceful, low-emotive songs. (Friendship is peaceful, but more emotionally charged)
Moment of Decision: Wonderful song.
Innocence: A good song whose quality is enhanced in the game itself many times over by the timing. It works perfectly as catharsis in scenes like Hanako's ending.
inquisitivenegro

Post by inquisitivenegro »

Nocturne is fucking boss, so are the romances in andante
Personal favorite in my boring worthless opinion would be Cloudland Swing though. Damn.

Going slightly off track, I think I saw Skaf say he hated Concord (a popular favorite), but I can't remember where...Does anyone know more about this?
$50 says I live more South than all of you
udscbt

Post by udscbt »

Banryu wrote:if you'd been playing the game with the music turned off, do you really think you'd have had the same emotional response you did (assuming you have a soul and therefore had a response)
I've actually gone through my first route (it was Emi's by the way... how strange :P) and I got feels anyway (not to the point of crying, but that's just me. I almost never cry actually, not because of feelings anyway; sometimes some tears start spilling when I'm really tired... or at random moments... quite similarly to Rin now that I think about it. Anyway I'm digressing... inside parenthesis... wow).
I mean, I LOVE the soundtrack and I really think it adds a lot to the game, but the game would have been wonderful even without it (or with a worse music, not too worse obviously).
I think the writing is what actually makes KS the game we love, and the music (and CGs too, don't forget of them!) makes it even more perfect.
What I'm trying to say is... both music and graphics (well, mostly CGs, the sprites are good but quite normal) make the game a lot more beautiful than it would have been otherwise, but at the same time both Shizune and Lilly could have played the game and they would have experienced feels just like us.
ReCodes

What is your favourite soundtrack of the game??

Post by ReCodes »

I can't see any thread about this, so it's legit :D
Can't make a poll because 14 options is simply not enough
Listed your list of favourite soundtracks or just the song you love the most
Starting with mine:
1. Three Stars (Shizune's Act 2 Intro)
2. Innocence
3. The Student Council
4. Friendship
5. Lullaby of Open Eyes
6. Nocturne
7. Letting my heart speak
8. Afternoon
9. Raindrops and Puddles
10. Comfort
Last edited by ReCodes on Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
~WAHAHAHA...~
http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=7531 <- my fan art gallery

I'm dead...for now...will be back sometimes later...
Umber

Re: What is your favourite soundtrack of the game??

Post by Umber »

I have no favorites, but the ones that stood out for me were Parity, Wiosna, Moment of Decision, Innocence, and Ah Eh I Oh You.
But really, the soundtrack in general is orgasmic. Or emotional. To me, at least. Whichever you prefer.
-An occasional art thread.
pig dissections and cadaver examinations.
Selim Bradley

Post by Selim Bradley »

Painful History is Hanako's Theme, not Innocence.
Last edited by Selim Bradley on Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
I am the male version of Hanako Ikezawa.
ReCodes

Post by ReCodes »

Selim Bradley wrote:Umm, Painful History is Hanako's Theme, not Innocence.
fix, thanks for correction :P
~WAHAHAHA...~

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

My favorite soundtrack? The KS soundtrack. :P

"Soundtrack" generally refers to a compilation of all music used in a product so I don't have to pick any particular songs. :P Hooray, pedantic linguistic loophole!
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
<KeiichiO>: "That's a beautiful response to chocolate."
Fiandra

Post by Fiandra »

Xanatos wrote:My favorite soundtrack? The KS soundtrack. :P

"Soundtrack" generally refers to a compilation of all music used in a product so I don't have to pick any particular songs. :P Hooray, pedantic linguistic loophole!
Xanatos you rooined the mood :lol:
@Ygdrasel wrote:All's fair in poop and war.
-Insert favorite KS girls here-
teh twitter
teh steem
ReCodes

Post by ReCodes »

Fiandra wrote:

thanks for pointing that out
i'm new here so i don't wanna do it xD
~WAHAHAHA...~

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

Fiandra wrote:

I can't choose. Sue me. :P
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
<KeiichiO>: "That's a beautiful response to chocolate."