Emotional Attachment to the Forum?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

lukesrp

Emotional Attachment to the Forum?

Post by lukesrp »

Hi, I recently joined the forum at the start of the month, I then proceeded to post a bit - a few of you may have seen my posts.

I then went on Holiday and I found myself really wanting to go on the forum and talk about Katawa Shoujo.

I'm not sure if I was I was lacking the need of talking about Katawa Shoujo to someone (as I can't talk to my family about it), or I was lacking the feeling of talking to someone else about their experiences and trying to offer my opinion about certain things.

I think I have a deep attachment to this forum, Yes I did get "Feels" from the game but this feels different.

Can someone offer me an opinion or some advice here please?
Hanako>>>Lilly>>>Emi>>>Shizune>>>Rin

Did someone say Chrono Trigger?

"The Characters resonate with you because you recognize your flaws and desires and triumphs and victories, and those of the loved ones you know and care about. You want to make them happy, because you want them to be happy, because you know and are them, and In some way you believe everyone you love deserves to be happy"
Mirage_GSM

Re: Emotional Attachment to the Forum?

Post by Mirage_GSM »

So you like posting on a forum...
What exactly do you need advice on?
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

Meh, who knows. My only worthwhile human interaction is online and a fair bit of that is this forum. Attachments happen. When a member disappears, I'm legitimately depressed. No real advice. I got an iphone so even if I go somewhere, as long as there's a 'net signal around, I can pop in. :lol:
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
<KeiichiO>: "That's a beautiful response to chocolate."
OtakuNinja

Post by OtakuNinja »

Xanatos wrote:Meh, who knows. My only worthwhile human interaction is online and a fair bit of that is this forum. Attachments happen. When a member disappears, I'm legitimately depressed. No real advice. I got an iphone so even if I go somewhere, as long as there's a 'net signal around, I can pop in. :lol:
I know that feeling. :lol: I was addicted to the forum until Silentcook banned me for a week. After that, several days can pass without me posting. :)
Emibro, Hanabro, [Lilly Lover], Rin Kin, Feminist, Two-timer
(Passively working on my KS YouTube series. Someday...)
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

My suggestion is that if you enjoy posting on the forum ... you should probably post on the forum.
Crazy, I know, but just try it.
Not Dead Yet
lvl5popcap

Post by lvl5popcap »

I've always thought that talking and connecting with other people about a shared event helps prolong that event.
In this case, it's like the experience of KS continues through our discussion.
pandaphil

Post by pandaphil »

I know how you feel. I'm an internet junkie anyway, so I'll check in here at least every half hour just to see if there are any new posts. :)

I do worry sometimes that I post too much, since most of what I have to say isn't particularly insightful or useful.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant." ~ The Doctor.
Dream

Post by Dream »

With the last line, i think OP wrote it as a summary of the post, kinda like "discuss" for a last line.

Anyway, while this isn't the forum i'm most attached to (that would be no mean feat) it is rather enjoyable and there are interesting conversations and a likeable ambient. Also, my only worthwhile human interactions happen throught forums as well, so i can understand the concept of having an emotional attachment to a forum/comunity. It's kind of like an attachment to an school, friends, or any other social group, really.
"It is not reason, more or less furnished, but will that makes the world march"

"Unfortunately, if you can think of something really stupid, someone out there probably believes it." -Xanatos
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

Dream wrote:With the last line, i think OP wrote it as a summary of the post, kinda like "discuss" for a last line.

Anyway, while this isn't the forum i'm most attached to (that would be no mean feat) it is rather enjoyable and there are interesting conversations and a likeable ambient. Also, my only worthwhile human interactions happen throught forums as well, so i can understand the concept of having an emotional attachment to a forum/comunity. It's kind of like an attachment to an school, friends, or any other social group, really.
Exactly. Really, I've never much understood this prevalent idea that people online are magically less real than people face-to-face. If anything, I've found people less prone to bullshit and superficial garbage online. :lol: When I'm in a bad place, the idea seems a lot more rational and I hate myself a bit, but otherwise...
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
YZQ

Post by YZQ »

Xanatos wrote:
Dream wrote:With the last line, i think OP wrote it as a summary of the post, kinda like "discuss" for a last line.

Exactly. Really, I've never much understood this prevalent idea that people online are magically less real than people face-to-face. If anything, I've found people less prone to bullshit and superficial garbage online. :lol: When I'm in a bad place, the idea seems a lot more rational and I hate myself a bit, but otherwise...
It depends, I guess. The GIFT theory on TV Tropes is a valid argument. For me personally, you need a tank in WoW, you drop me a note (as my friend did).
"Nothing is beneath man. Everything is permitted."

"...since love and fear can hardly exist together, if we must choose between them, it is far safer to be feared than loved. However, it is important above all to avoid being hated."
misterprinny

Post by misterprinny »

It's a nice place here. People come and go, and I've been here long enough to "know" the regulars (not even sure if I'm considered one at this point).

That being said, I don't think..."emotional attachment" is the correct word. More like trying to fill in the empty hole that KS made in your heart.
Head Editor at Stewart-Class 7 Studios, an OELVN studio similar to 4LS. Please check out our blog and website and our forums.
Dream

Post by Dream »

Xanatos wrote:Exactly. Really, I've never much understood this prevalent idea that people online are magically less real than people face-to-face. If anything, I've found people less prone to bullshit and superficial garbage online. :lol: When I'm in a bad place, the idea seems a lot more rational and I hate myself a bit, but otherwise...
Yeah, on my experience people online tend to be more honest than IRL, and the conversations are always better, plus it's generally more free of bullshit or superficiality. Although it also depends on what kind of online environment you're interacting in, as YZQ pointed out. Aside from that, there are some things to be said about meatspace interaction (tone, expressions, body language, the fact someone can't just log off, misunderstandings are easier to clear, etc.) that can't really be included in online interaction, or at least not as well.

"Unfortunately, if you can think of something really stupid, someone out there probably believes it." -Xanatos
Denouement

Post by Denouement »

People on forums, looking at isolated posts, can be exhausting with how hypercritical they are, to the point where there is definitely going to be inconsistency in what that person tolerates in real life conversations and what he or she sees online unless they are incredibly anti-social (in the more literal sense of the word i.e. resistant to social presences/constructs).

Also I am for more skilled at talking online. I'm able to articulate myself and think long on what I want to say and how to properly relay my message. In person I am more impulsive in speech and reaction, causing improper grammar, shallow responses, or false statements unless I am pretty comfortable, but even then it's really hard to sort things out like with the internet. Not even writing with a pencil can compare. My hand writing is chicken scratch, it takes more time, and I have to erase! Therefore, outside of what I mention in the first paragraph, online interaction is definitely my preference!
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

Denouement wrote:People on forums, looking at isolated posts, can be exhausting with how hypercritical they are
Gotta love the GIFT.
Dream

Post by Dream »

Xanatos wrote:Gotta love the GIFT.
Well, look at the bright side, at least we aren't getting death threats or hate mails in our PMs, unlike the cracked writers.