What scene made you "cry" the most

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Broomhead

Re: What scene made you "cry" the most

Post by Broomhead »

SpunkySix wrote: You have to, for comprehension, or something. You non-fan. :roll:
I realize how hypocritical it is to say, considering I forced myself to play all five routes and didn't just stop with HGE, but I feel like that's the canon ending for me. If I got LNE or RBE I would accept that as canon as well. So forcing a different end wouldn't make sense in my thoughts. Then again, I just outed myself as a hypocrite, so my sense isn't really sense.
Lilly = Rin > Hanako > Emi > Misha > Shizune

I'm back in action.
YutoTheOrc

Post by YutoTheOrc »

SpunkySix wrote:
You have to, for comprehension, or something. You non-fan. :roll:

How dare you sir! My katawa shoujo fan honour has been insulted! :lol: Yeah, but I'm doing my best, two routes left; Hanako and Rin. 100% here I come!
Eurobeatjester

Post by Eurobeatjester »

Two scenes got the most heart tugging reaction out of me:

Hanako falling to her knees in the park, just completely broken because she feels she screwed up everything. I can relate to that moment where you just...break.

Rin crying out "I don't know what's wrong with me!"

Also, while not a crying moment, the exact scene that got me hooked into KS for the long haul was Hanako telling Hisao about the fire, where the background shifts to a crayon drawing of a girl crying and a house on fire - the exact type of thing a therapist would have a child draw. That really impacted me and made me realize that this whole experience was going to be more than a mere game for me.
Last edited by Eurobeatjester on Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stuff I'm currently writing: Learning To Fly: A Saki Enomoto Pseudo Route
Two Turtledoves - A Lilly/Hisao Christmas Oneshot
Blank Mage wrote:
Eurobeatjester wrote:I doubt my ability to write convincing lesbian erotica
believe in yourself
Khalego

Post by Khalego »

Eurobeatjester wrote:Rin crying out "I don't know what's wrong with me!"
:cry: Aw...
Khalego's Fanfic Tips
How to dispose of an unwanted character: "As much as it pains me, Lilly will just have to be trampled to death at a blind-deaf pep rally."
ilFogo

Post by ilFogo »

I don't think any scene made me cry, not that I didn't get a knot in the throat or that my eyes didn't got watery, but I didn't cry, for some reason tears just didn't come out... It's a bad thing about me I guess, for some reason even if I feel like it, I can't.

But that aside, for me at least every arc had one or two moments in which I felt like it, for example:

-Hanako crying in the park, that is just wrong!
-Rin on the floor in the atelier, to me was sad and shocking. Also the aforementioned "I don't know what's wrong with me!"
-Lilly at the airport (the 2nd time).

I could say more but that's not the point, right?
But I would put first Hanako's scene because was my first path, but I'm so bad at this things that even moments when the girls opened up to you or just an eerie music was on, made me tense, my eyes got watery or something.

So if I could cry I would have cried rivers, that's for sure (´v`)
"It's not a lake, it's an ocean"
-Alan Wake
Eurobeatjester

Post by Eurobeatjester »

Hah, I understand about the "crying if I could cry" part. I have a mental block where I simply can't or don't cry, even when I know I should. Happiness, sadness, nothing. Occasionally the only time I'll cry is from laughing too hard.

I think the emotional impact of the two scenes I mentioned lessened the impact of others, especially since I did them first. The emotional moments in Emi's and Lilly's routes were good, but just felt a bit too cliche'd for me after the rollercoaster I went on with Rin. Not to say I didn't enjoy them, but the running-through-the-airport scene reminded me of way too many movies and I've played enough games where "Oh look, dead parent" is a defining plot point.

I didn't connect with Shizune at all on any level, but that's because I don't like girls like her in real life. Connected more with Misha on the unrequited love thing.
Blank Mage wrote:
believe in yourself
YutoTheOrc

Post by YutoTheOrc »

Eurobeatjester wrote:Hah, I understand about the "crying if I could cry" part. I have a mental block where I simply can't or don't cry, even when I know I should. Happiness, sadness, nothing. Occasionally the only time I'll cry is from laughing too hard.

I think the emotional impact of the two scenes I mentioned lessened the impact of others, especially since I did them first. The emotional moments in Emi's and Lilly's routes were good, but just felt a bit too cliche'd for me after the rollercoaster I went on with Rin. Not to say I didn't enjoy them, but the running-through-the-airport scene reminded me of way too many movies and I've played enough games where "Oh look, dead parent" is a defining plot point.

I didn't connect with Shizune at all on any level, but that's because I don't like girls like her in real life. Connected more with Misha on the unrequited love thing.
rsz_addtext_com_mdyzodu0mjg3otiz.jpg
rsz_addtext_com_mdyzodu0mjg3otiz.jpg (9.55 KiB) Viewed 9235 times
Eurobeatjester

Post by Eurobeatjester »

YutoTheOrc wrote:
Eurobeatjester wrote:Hah, I understand about the "crying if I could cry" part. I have a mental block where I simply can't or don't cry, even when I know I should. Happiness, sadness, nothing. Occasionally the only time I'll cry is from laughing too hard.

rsz_addtext_com_mdyzodu0mjg3otiz.jpg
;_;
Blank Mage wrote:
believe in yourself
ilFogo

Post by ilFogo »

Yeah, for me it sucks not being able to cry, because I want to but instead my heart hurts, and I mean it, it hurts.

I agree with you that some of those were cliche and my guess is that since I liked Lilly from the beginning I somehow connected with the whole thing, that and the fact that I've avoided many chick-flicks and romantic comedies so I guess I tolerate this kind of things a little bit more.

Also I'm not surprised you didn't connect with Shizune at all, it's one or the least liked character or route for what I've seen. Honestly I did like her, but not entirely because of some flaws like how detached she is, it's like she's not even interested in a/the relationship, while Misha would have been a really fun and good choice.

Also I would like is someone could share their Rin's experience with me (or if there's a thread point me to it) because I didn't enjoy it that much, I mean, it's not like I have to like/care about all the characters but I didn't enjoy it that much, I have a guess but idk how to write it w/o making an essay (´∀`) jk, so I want another perspective, some other lenses if you will.
-Alan Wake
Eurobeatjester

Post by Eurobeatjester »

ilFogo wrote:

Yeah, for me it sucks not being able to cry, because I want to but instead my heart hurts, and I mean it, it hurts.

I agree with you that some of those were cliche and my guess is that since I liked Lilly from the beginning I somehow connected with the whole thing, that and the fact that I've avoided many chick-flicks and romantic comedies so I guess I tolerate this kind of things a little bit more.

Also I'm not surprised you didn't connect with Shizune at all, it's one or the least liked character or route for what I've seen. Honestly I did like her, but not entirely because of some flaws like how detached she is, it's like she's not even interested in a/the relationship, while Misha would have been a really fun and good choice.

Also I would like is someone could share their Rin's experience with me (or if there's a thread point me to it) because I didn't enjoy it that much, I mean, it's not like I have to like/care about all the characters but I didn't enjoy it that much, I have a guess but idk how to write it w/o making an essay (´∀`) jk, so I want another perspective, some other lenses if you will.
I think the point of having five (well, 6) characters that are so different is because you'll connect with at least one or two of them. It would be fairly strange if you connected with all six of them equally.

Rin and Hanako's routes felt the most "real" to me in that they mirrored, at least in my experiences, the complete ups and downs of being in relationships with people like that. It can be very frustrating, and aggravating at times, to wrap your head around people like that. You want to help, but you have no idea what to do, they don't want your help, or anything you say makes things worse...even when you think you are helping.

When I played the other three routes, I knew I was playing a visual novel. Those two were the only routes that drew me in. I never really played many VNs before Katawa Shoujo, and the ones I had were very lighthearted and more a way to tell a cute story to pass some time.

Maybe another reason is because KS was natively made in English instead of being translated at a later time. English is a beautiful language, but the majority of translation groups that work on visual novels don't put that much work on translating over the subtle nuances and such.
Blank Mage wrote:
believe in yourself
Khalego

Post by Khalego »

Eurobeatjester wrote:Honestly I did like her, but not entirely...
If you liked any of them entirely, you're lying to yourself.
Khalego's Fanfic Tips
How to dispose of an unwanted character: "As much as it pains me, Lilly will just have to be trampled to death at a blind-deaf pep rally."
Broomhead

Post by Broomhead »

ilFogo wrote:Also I would like is someone could share their Rin's experience with me (or if there's a thread point me to it) because I didn't enjoy it that much, I mean, it's not like I have to like/care about all the characters but I didn't enjoy it that much, I have a guess but idk how to write it w/o making an essay (´∀`) jk, so I want another perspective, some other lenses if you will.
Random KS discussion would be another place for this, but mutations are welcome here.

Personally, Rin and Lilly are tied for favorite routes. Why? Well, here it is. I relate to Rin about 10x more than Lilly, but I prefer Lilly romantically.

Anyways, I related to Rin a lot from where your locked into her route on. Before that, she just seemed kinda... meh. Like, I could see she was an option in the game, but she wasn't attractive to me in any way. She was just kinda... Emi's side kick. (Heh, heh.) So once I forced myself to lock into her route I find Hisao being snuggled by a red-haired enigma who doesn't even care how awkward she makes Hisao feel. She wants to sleep on him. This practically sent me head over heels for her, although I didn't realize it. After that, she just kinda stuck in my head until I finished the route. She was like me in many ways, and that made her story all the more tragic.

I think the others are right, though. Not relating to one girl isn't bad, it just says you don't. I'm that way about Emi, actually. I like her more than Shizune, but I just don't understand her very well.
Lilly = Rin > Hanako > Emi > Misha > Shizune

I'm back in action.
Eurobeatjester

Post by Eurobeatjester »

Khalego wrote:
I think you quoted the wrong person there :P
Blank Mage wrote:
believe in yourself
ilFogo

Post by ilFogo »

Eurobeatjester wrote:I think the point of having five (well, 6) characters that are so different is because you'll connect with at least one or two of them. It would be fairly strange if you connected with all six of them equally.
Yeah, I agree it would be strange, still I think it can happen... A long time ago in a galaxy far far away I guess :P
Eurobeatjester wrote:Maybe another reason is because KS was natively made in English instead of being translated at a later time. English is a beautiful language, but the majority of translation groups that work on visual novels don't put that much work on translating over the subtle nuances and such.
I would argue my friend that all (or at least many other) languages are beautiful in their own way, just an example is how romance languages have many ways to describe one feeling (or thing, or whatever) and also with difference in intensity. I'm not saying english doesn't just to argue that every language has it's qualities.
Khalego wrote:
I hope it didn't sound like a creepy like "like" kind of way hahaha, but I think since I don't expect things to be "perfect" I found some of them likeable with their virtues and defects.
Broomhead wrote:Random KS discussion would be another place for this, but mutations are welcome here.
Yeah, sorry about that, maybe once I spend more time here in the forums that will change ( ´v`º).
Broomhead wrote:I think the others are right, though. Not relating to one girl isn't bad, it just says you don't. I'm that way about Emi, actually. I like her more than Shizune, but I just don't understand her very well.
I think that's what happened with Rin, maybe she's just too surreal for me XD
-Alan Wake
Bluegaze

Post by Bluegaze »

I have had my eyes full of tears for a big part of Lilly's route, When she confessed to Hisao I had wet eyes already, and then when she told him she would be leaving I cried for real, until the very end, the most in the moment Hisao ran after her to the airport. That route is honestly a real masterpiece and even though I enjoyed it a lot, I was sad after playing it, realizing that such thing will never ever happen to me irl.
Haven't really cried at either Emi's or Shizune's path (got a bit sad during the bad ending of Shizune) and I haven't tried Hanako or Rin yet.