A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Zilveri

GameFAQs Top 10: Top 10 Best Characters From Visual Novels

Post by Zilveri »

New stuff:

So instead of making a new topic, I use my earlier topic to post this:

GameFAQs Featured Top 10: The Top 10 Best Characters From Visual Novels

http://www.gamefaqs.com/features/top10/2561.html

You probably already guessed it, because I posted it: __Emi__ is 9th on the list.

Old stuff:

BEST OF 2012: Best Adventure/Puzzle Game

http://www.gamefaqs.com/poll/index.html?poll=4956

I know that we had this discussion that is KS a game or not, but I think that if KS would be more popular, it would definitely be 1st or 2nd on this poll.
Last edited by Zilveri on Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
FoxtrotZero

Re: Katawa Shoujo on GameFAQs Poll of the Day

Post by FoxtrotZero »

Zilveri wrote:BEST OF 2012: Best Adventure/Puzzle Game

http://www.gamefaqs.com/poll/index.html?poll=4956

I know that we had this discussion that is KS a game or not, but I think that if KS would be more popular, it would definitely be 1st or 2nd on this poll.
I consider KS a game.

I mean, it's not like other games, but it's something interactive that I do on my PC for entertainment, and it's differentiated from other forms of media like television or books. There isn't a great verb for it other than "play" or "read" ("experience" is apt, but clumsy to use). Quite frankly, you'll find the files in C:\Documents and Settings\Tyler\Desktop\Core\Games\Katawa Shoujo for lack of a better organizational location.

I'm more likely to take umbrage with it going into the category of 'adventure/puzzle'.
Reccomended Fanfic: Sisterhood by Guest Poster - Braving the Storm by Doomish - Akira Pseudo-Route (WIP) by Thanatos02
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

I'm surprised Deponia is so far down the list...
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
Carighan

Post by Carighan »

I haven't played Deponia (yet), and I think a lot are in that situation. In fact, I still have a fairly large backlog, though I'm slowly working through it.

Finished Dishonored and Kingdom Hearts 3D this weekend, working on ZombiU and Darksiders II now. Then there's ~12 more games left to check off, I think I knocked ~20 off in the past 2-3 weeks or so. And I finally got through SpaceChem. :D

But to the topic at hand: I consider Katawa Shoujo a game, but indirectly so. It's a Visual Novel, and Visual Novels are a type of video game in my mind. They wouldn't have to be, but they simply are. Maybe that makes them the odd one out, as they have to be analysed more like books, but so what? Still a video game, I play it at my gaming rig, that basically qualifies it. :P
If I had Katawa Shoujo on my Kindle, I might think different. :P
FoxtrotZero

Post by FoxtrotZero »

Carighan wrote:And I finally got through SpaceChem. :D
Is.
Is this possible?
Reccomended Fanfic: Sisterhood by Guest Poster - Braving the Storm by Doomish - Akira Pseudo-Route (WIP) by Thanatos02
Enemy |

Post by Enemy | »

Wait
Puzzle/Adventure? How- Wha-
Zilveri

Post by Zilveri »

FoxtrotZero wrote: I consider KS a game.

I mean, it's not like other games, but it's something interactive that I do on my PC for entertainment, and it's differentiated from other forms of media like television or books. There isn't a great verb for it other than "play" or "read" ("experience" is apt, but clumsy to use). Quite frankly, you'll find the files in C:\Documents and Settings\Tyler\Desktop\Core\Games\Katawa Shoujo for lack of a better organizational location.

I'm more likely to take umbrage with it going into the category of 'adventure/puzzle'.
Enemy | wrote:Wait
Puzzle/Adventure? How- Wha-

I too consider KS a game. Some of the other "Best of 2012 polls" have some interesting or weird choices too.
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

Carighan wrote:It's a Visual Novel, and Visual Novels are a type of novel...
Fixed that for ya. :P

If all it takes to qualify is being played at a computer, well... :lol:
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
<KeiichiO>: "That's a beautiful response to chocolate."
Carighan

Post by Carighan »

Well yes, but they'd feel misplaced among novels, too. Like I said, they do feel misplaced among games, but that's where they're usually placed right now, and I'm going with the flow so far. I mean I read about it on /r/Games, I probably wouldn't be looking there for books, so hey, happy someone else considered it a game-subgenre too. Or I wouldn't have played it. :D
Carighan

Post by Carighan »

FoxtrotZero wrote:Is.
Is this possible?
Some of the later levels were horrible.
The last boss was surprisingly easy once I managed to get a useful layout done (each individual reactor is easy, assuming you try to just spam-fire the weapons and notice it works perfectly fine, screw control :P ). There was very little space on the board as a whole, at least if you need to fit 5 reactors.
The second-to-last boss, OTOH... ugh. That took me a while.
And the levels before that, with the locked reactors...

I still have to upload a lot of solutions, but one I thought was kinda cool is this one <-- click me. Single-reactor stuff is the best, means I don't have to manually fraps the video to show details. I know it's not really a good solution, but I like how every field on the board has a purpose at some point. I tend to usually just have convulsed messes. :P
The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.
Xybaro

Post by Xybaro »

Carighan wrote:Well yes, but they'd feel misplaced among novels, too. Like I said, they do feel misplaced among games, but that's where they're usually placed right now, and I'm going with the flow so far. I mean I read about it on /r/Games, I probably wouldn't be looking there for books, so hey, happy someone else considered it a game-subgenre too. Or I wouldn't have played it. :D
Misplaced among novels?

KS has nearly 500,000 words.

Sounds like a novel to me.

:P
Hanako Lover
FoxtrotZero

Post by FoxtrotZero »

Carighan wrote:
FoxtrotZero wrote:Is.
Is this possible?
Some of the later levels were horrible.
The last boss was surprisingly easy once I managed to get a useful layout done (each individual reactor is easy, assuming you try to just spam-fire the weapons and notice it works perfectly fine, screw control :P ). There was very little space on the board as a whole, at least if you need to fit 5 reactors.
The second-to-last boss, OTOH... ugh. That took me a while.
And the levels before that, with the locked reactors...

I still have to upload a lot of solutions, but one I thought was kinda cool is this one <-- click me. Single-reactor stuff is the best, means I don't have to manually fraps the video to show details. I know it's not really a good solution, but I like how every field on the board has a purpose at some point. I tend to usually just have convulsed messes. :P
That's much farther along than I've gotten. If I remember correctly, my most recent problem had to do with breaking down molecules whose input varied in shape into their constituent atoms. I haven't played recently, mostly because Steam keeps screwing up every time I try to play.
Ruined

Post by Ruined »

How is KS a puzzle/adventure game anyway? I know it's a game and it's a visual novel, but it definitely isn't puzzles or adventures :roll: .
Lilly because of her healthy adolescent sex drive.
Enceladeans

Post by Enceladeans »

Ruined wrote:How is KS a puzzle/adventure game anyway? I know it's a game and it's a visual novel, but it definitely isn't puzzles or adventures :roll: .
It's closer to an adventure game than any other conventional game genre, since there's a lot of focus on story and dialogue.

It sucks that KS isn't winning, but The Walking Dead and Scribblenauts are both great too, so I guess it's OK.
FoxtrotZero

Post by FoxtrotZero »

Enceladeans wrote:
Ruined wrote:How is KS a puzzle/adventure game anyway? I know it's a game and it's a visual novel, but it definitely isn't puzzles or adventures :roll: .
It's closer to an adventure game than any other conventional game genre, since there's a lot of focus on story and dialogue.

It sucks that KS isn't winning, but The Walking Dead and Scribblenauts are both great too, so I guess it's OK.
Opinions, opinions. I'm not that familiar with skribblenauts, but I wouldn't give The Walking Dead the time of day.