Significance of the Act 2 Openings (Spoilers)

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Depado

Significance of the Act 2 Openings (Spoilers)

Post by Depado »

I was watching Lilly's Act 2 Opening again, when I noticed something peculiar: It seemed that the video was foreshadowing the rest of the game/route. While many of you have probably noticed this already, and it was probably the original intent of the openings, I thought I'd just make an observation anyways. Also, here's a link to the video for reference:

As Lilly and Hisao walked down the sidewalk, Akira was heading the opposite way. Her character suddenly changed into Lilly's as she walked away, portraying the point in the story where she is gearing up to fly for Scotland, leaving Hisao behind. While it could be a coincidence, it's also important to note that the video cuts to a scene where a plane is flying in the sky, also signifying the same portion where Lilly is heading to the airport. The most obvious part however, is when the picture changes completely and they're standing in a field of grass which either conveys them at the summerhouse or the scene after the credits.

This is probably obvious to most of you, or it may not be. The point is, am I just spouting a bunch of crap? Or, is what I say feasible, and if so, do any of the other Act 2 openings foreshadow future events?
lukesrp

Re: Significance of the Act 2 Openings (Spoilers)

Post by lukesrp »

I think this particular cinematic does foreshadow the future of Lilly's arc.

Also in Shizune's cinematic it showsMisha looking through a door whilst Shizune and Hisao communicate through the notepad. She doesn't seem to be smiling which is a sharp contrast to her normal self and the lighting on her gives off a sinister/mischievous feel. I think this foreshadowing show that there will be some tension in the future with Misha's, Shizune's and Hisao's relationships togetherm, which does ultimately happen.

However Emi's opening cinematic seems to only show her passion for running and her thoughtful and outgoing nature (as she helps Hisao up off the ground) - maybe I am not looking deep enough into this?

So yeah the question still remains, are there subliminal messages and hints that are trying to foreshadow the upcoming events in Arc?
Hanako>>>Lilly>>>Emi>>>Shizune>>>Rin

Did someone say Chrono Trigger?

"The Characters resonate with you because you recognize your flaws and desires and triumphs and victories, and those of the loved ones you know and care about. You want to make them happy, because you want them to be happy, because you know and are them, and In some way you believe everyone you love deserves to be happy"
Ruined

Post by Ruined »

I don't know if you have completed other routes for the game, in my opinion, the video somewhat tells you the three themes (the picture that shows at the start of each arc with the exception of the first arc) for whichever routes you are playing. Lilly's video kind of tell you about what's going to happen in the future because her themes are Past, Present and Future. The videos are always related to the themes.
Lilly because of her healthy adolescent sex drive.
Ruined

Post by Ruined »

lukesrp wrote:I think this particular cinematic does foreshadow the future of Lilly's arc.

Also in Shizune's cinematic it showsMisha looking through a door whilst Shizune and Hisao communicate through the notepad. She doesn't seem to be smiling which is a sharp contrast to her normal self and the lighting on her gives off a sinister/mischievous feel. I think this foreshadowing show that there will be some tension in the future with Misha's, Shizune's and Hisao's relationships togetherm, which does ultimately happen.

However Emi's opening cinematic seems to only show her passion for running and her thoughtful and outgoing nature (as she helps Hisao up off the ground) - maybe I am not looking deep enough into this?

So yeah the question still remains, are there subliminal messages and hints that are trying to foreshadow the upcoming events in Arc?
Same with Shizune's video, it kind of tells you what is going to happen in the future although not as strong as Lilly's video. The video also reflect more on her themes which are Learning to read, Sleight of Hand and To My Other Self.
Depado

Post by Depado »

Ruined wrote:I don't know if you have completed other routes for the game, in my opinion, the video somewhat tells you the three themes (the picture that shows at the start of each arc with the exception of the first arc) for whichever routes you are playing. Lilly's video kind of tell you about what's going to happen in the future because her themes are Past, Present and Future. The videos are always related to the themes.
I didn't even consider the chapters. So we can assume that the chapter names/theme play a role in the opening acts.
Ruined

Post by Ruined »

Depado wrote:
Ruined wrote:I don't know if you have completed other routes for the game, in my opinion, the video somewhat tells you the three themes (the picture that shows at the start of each arc with the exception of the first arc) for whichever routes you are playing. Lilly's video kind of tell you about what's going to happen in the future because her themes are Past, Present and Future. The videos are always related to the themes.
I didn't even consider the chapters. So we can assume that the chapter names/theme play a role in the opening acts.

I think Rin would be a better example to the point I'm making, if you have not seen her act 2 opening here's a link;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MC6bzdD45yY
After you have seen the video, how she daydreams while she is painting (two dreams, one is how she become some creature while painting herself and the other is how she is sleeping and Hisao is there in a distance) and Hisao blowing the dandelion seeds in a distance but suddenly disappears. It hints quite a lot to her chapters which are; Disconnect, Distance and Dream.
Carighan

Post by Carighan »

Interesting that they evolve from the chapter descriptions.

Because I do think their foreshadowing is strong. Especially in Shizune's video, with Misha going from smiling to tense and then closing the door.
Dream

Post by Dream »

I think it's more like both the videos and chapter names are both inspired on the themes rather than the latter being inspired by the former.

But yeah, the thematic foreshadowing in the videos is surprisingly rich.
"It is not reason, more or less furnished, but will that makes the world march"

"Unfortunately, if you can think of something really stupid, someone out there probably believes it." -Xanatos
Ruined

Post by Ruined »

Dream wrote:I think it's more like both the videos and chapter names are both inspired on the themes rather than the latter being inspired by the former.

They probably started out with the personality of each characters, and they probably already have written most of the novel. Then they probably have like a big meeting or something to come up with the chapter/arc names. After all of that is done then they make the video. I mean, it's kind of easier to figure out their themes after they are done, maybe I'm not right?
lukesrp

Post by lukesrp »

Ruined wrote:
Dream wrote:I think it's more like both the videos and chapter names are both inspired on the themes rather than the latter being inspired by the former.

They probably started out with the personality of each characters, and they probably already have written most of the novel. Then they probably have like a big meeting or something to come up with the chapter/arc names. After all of that is done then they make the video. I mean, it's kind of easier to figure out their themes after they are done, maybe I'm not right?
I think you two are both right here. After 100% and going back to watch the cinematic you do tend to pick up some of the hints that are occurring in these clips. I think the act names are also a way of foreshadowing, as with almost every book or VN that you will read, if the act has a name it will more than likely be hinting at the future events that will occur during the act. Either that or the cinematic or act name is trying to further show fragments of the character's personality of which they have yet to reveal to them?

In Shizune's arc her final act name is "To my other self" and what is the half the chapter about? Trying to help Misha through her relationship issues with Shizune, trying to get Misha to return to her normal self, or rather back to being the other half of Shizune - her voice and her means of manipulation. However trying to help Misha ultimately causes Shizune to have some serious thoughts about her own life and actions in the past. Looking back I think this one of the most heavy foreshadows in the storyline.

"The Characters resonate with you because you recognize your flaws and desires and triumphs and victories, and those of the loved ones you know and care about. You want to make them happy, because you want them to be happy, because you know and are them, and In some way you believe everyone you love deserves to be happy"
Ruined

Post by Ruined »

I actually never finished the game with 100%. :( Though I did complete them with their good endings.
After I broke my heart on Hanako's bad ending I just never wished to have my heart broken again. You know how I feel right? Right?
Carighan

Post by Carighan »

Oh, Hanako's bad ending hurts.

But, I thought it pales next to Shizune's bad one (if you haven't seen the good one before!) and especially Rin's neutral one, which was completely crushing in it's finality.
lukesrp

Post by lukesrp »

Ruined wrote:I actually never finished the game with 100%. :( Though I did complete them with their good endings.
After I broke my heart on Hanako's bad ending I just never wished to have my heart broken again. You know how I feel right? Right?
Well if you thought that was bad, don't even touch Rin's bad ending. That is the saddest ending in the game, but after I finished all of Hanako's possible arcs I didn't touch the game for days. Hanako's bad ending stings.

I went for the 100% because I felt that they put so much effort into the game, and I have taken so much away from playing it that I should do the game Justice by beating it 100%. Besides the pic you get at the end is pretty nice.

So yeah I do know how you feel. I'm just glad I didn't get it the first time playing through.

yummines

Post by yummines »

All of the opening cinematics essentially show a part of the girl's personality, Hisao's tenative relationship with her, and a little foreshadowing.

On a sidenote my fav opening song is "Jitter"
Ruined

Post by Ruined »

Exactly why I'm not even going to try finishing it with 100%, I appreciate their amazing work however.

But Hanako... How she says: I hate you and I hate Lilly!! Breaks my heart man, I wish I could unsee it.