Did we change?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

PyroOgre

Re: Did we change?

Post by PyroOgre »

First time playing through the game, a long time ago, I was extremely out of shape, pretty closed off and didn't have much going for me.

Now, ran a 5k last month, never had that kind of energy before, and am drinking some tea as I type this. So I'd say yes. Granted I was probably going to improve anyway at some point, but Emi was arguably the catalyst on that front.
Weird Heather

Post by Weird Heather »

I have noticed this thread for some time, but I decided to wait a while before responding to it. Sometimes, changes resulting from experiencing a work of art can take time to set in. I am old, cynical, and set in my ways, so it is highly unusual for one particular work of literature to fundamentally change my life. However, minor changes can easily set in whether or not I actually want to change.

I haven't lost my general cynicism or changed my negative personal attitude toward romantic relationships; those traits are so fundamental to my personality that even a work as powerful as "Katawa Shoujo" will not drive them away.

"Katawa Shoujo" will likely influence my own creative output. I am a writer, I had never previously considered the creative possibilities of the visual novel format. My writing tends to be experimental, so it is highly unlikely that I will ever contribute to a conventional visual novel, but I would like to explore the possibilities of the branching story lines and of the interaction of text and images. One story idea that has been in my mind for some time is likely to benefit from this influence; it practically cries out for extensive visual novel-style branching. "Katawa Shoujo" provided the influence that pulled this story out of perpetual writer's block, and maybe it will even make it past the planning stage one day.

"Katawa Shoujo" also reminded me of and introduced me to additional popular culture and art forms. I saw my first anime in the 1970s, but I haven't watched it frequently since then. "Katawa Shoujo" reminded me of it, and I have been seeking it out and watching it lately - even including the 1970s program, "Kagaku Ninjatai Gatchaman," that was my first exposure to anime. I have also been looking for other visual novels; I have downloaded some of the free ones and will probably read some of them soon.

Although "Katawa Shoujo" hasn't fundamentally changed my life, it has influenced me in more subtle ways, and I'm sure my future creative output will not be quite the same as it would have been had I not experienced this visual novel.
Jedoisallerfairequelquechose!
putteno1

Post by putteno1 »

So, i'm now returning to this thread many months after my first post, now when the emotional storm has subsided.

I honestly do believe i changed after it. I've already mentioned that KS was my first step into growing up (mentally), but i must say i gained something more as well.
After the all self-reflection and coming to terms with who i am, i am now very secure in myself and confident that i'll have a future. Appearently this has been noted by people in my surroundings, as a few of my friends have told me that i even walk differently than before ("with an air of new-found confidence" as my best friend told me).

My everyday life look the same, but the difference is that i'm now very content with my life and who i am.
I'm still distant to people though and i will probably not get a girlfriend in the near future.
This time it's not because i'm awkward and shy, but rather people in my class consider me to be "on another level" (which stung a bit, comming from the girls in the class).
but i guess that's still a vast improvement from before!

another wall of text...sorry 'bout that ^^
I guess i wrote this to tell you guys that change might be weird, alien (or just even down-right painful), but that doesn't necessarily need to be a bad thing.
Alright, this turned into another corny motivational post...
But hey! You live and you learn :D
icannotfindausername

Ever get the feeling these characters changed you?

Post by icannotfindausername »

Before coming across Katawa Shoujo I was a little more than your average college gamer student
Some time spent studying, few hours spent watching anime and plenty more hours spent playing Dark Souls, then this game came and it changed a lot of things.

I find myself much more motivated to study and participate in class.
A new found love for tea, ordering new varieties online for the sake of trying it.
Started practicing chess vs bots and training against friends as well.
Even set up an exercise schedule that I do plan committing to as soon as the cold weather fades off.

I'm just curious if others who had played the game experienced as profound an influence as I have, if so then please do share it.
"I'm perfectly sane, I'm perfectly sane, it's the whole goddamned world that's gone mad!" -Jin Kariya
AaronIsCrunchy

Re: Ever get the feeling these characters changed you?

Post by AaronIsCrunchy »

In the short period of time I've played it (around 2 weeks) I've already noticed several changes in my life. The first and to me most important one is that it's made me look at what I have got and made me more thankful for it - friends, family, my health. It's also given me a more positive outlook on the situation I find myself in with my girlfriend - rather than moping about being 150 miles away, I'm starting to adapt to it and look for the positives in the distance. This means pursuing hobbies and giving myself constructive things to do. (I also don't feel like... 'amusing' myself, something which I feel has been a vice of mine for ages).

On the topic of constructive things to do, I have been inspired to run. I know this isn't exactly a unique decision, as far as I can make out many taken by Emi's route have decided to do that. It's also made me more driven to simply do what I enjoy, which entails writing music and in the near future recording it. (In fact, I aim to upload some of them here as some of the pieces I'm learning is music from KS). I haven't being playing it long, but I guess I already owe it a lot.
Because green eyes are best eyes.
http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=9511 - A thread of my drawings. Don't expect a lot.

SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

Yeah. It's made me really, really look at my life and think about what I want out of it and where I'm headed, first and foremost. It's given me new perspective on why I love to run and it's made me see VNs as a medium in a brighter light than I saw them in before.

And it's caused strawberry to be my favorite flavor and scent, for reasons.
"Spunky at his Spunkyest/Spunkiest"
"Tissues to the extreme!"
icannotfindausername

Post by icannotfindausername »

AaronIsCrunchy wrote:In the short period of time I've played it (around 2 weeks)

which entails writing music and in the near future recording it. (In fact, I aim to upload some of them here as some of the pieces I'm learning is music from KS). I haven't being playing it long, but I guess I already owe it a lot.
That's fantastic man, please do try and contact me once you have uploaded the music onto the forum to serve as a reminder so I may check it out.

Yeah. It's made me really, really look at my life and think about what I want out of it and where I'm headed, first and foremost. It's given me new perspective on why I love to run and it's made me see VNs as a medium in a brighter light than I saw them in before.
And it's caused strawberry to be my favorite flavor and scent, for reasons.
Although not wholly convinced by the explanation Emi gave for running I do find myself very much attracted to the idea of running periodically as well. :roll:
"I'm perfectly sane, I'm perfectly sane, it's the whole goddamned world that's gone mad!" -Jin Kariya
AaronIsCrunchy

Post by AaronIsCrunchy »

icannotfindausername wrote:
AaronIsCrunchy wrote:In the short period of time I've played it (around 2 weeks)

which entails writing music and in the near future recording it. (In fact, I aim to upload some of them here as some of the pieces I'm learning is music from KS). I haven't being playing it long, but I guess I already owe it a lot.
That's fantastic man, please do try and contact me once you have uploaded the music onto the forum to serve as a reminder so I may check it out.

Got no excuse now, I have expectants ;) Absolutely, I'll remember when I get to it. Just need to purchase a recording device (line-in sounds dreadful, so I want something to make it sound a bit clearer) but that shouldn't be too much!
Because green eyes are best eyes.
http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=9511 - A thread of my drawings. Don't expect a lot.

sonicdahedgie

Post by sonicdahedgie »

This game has done multiple things or me. It's made me realize I want to be a teacher, it got me to start studying Japanese, and most of all, it's made me ok with the fact hat I've never dated anyone before. I used to constantly be depressed because I wanted someone to like me, but I realized after playing this game that I wasn't putting myself out there enough to have anyone interested in me. Moreover, it's completely ok to not be dating someone. Who you're dating doesn't define you as a person. Even when you are dating someone, you're still your own person.

Anyway, this game has changed my life. I was a hikkikomori 3 weeks ago. Now I'm signing up for college.
Silentcook
Carelessly Cooking You

Post by Silentcook »

Hallo, hallo. Some merging happened. Don't panic. :)
Shattering your dreams since '94. I also fought COVID in '20 and '21, and all I got was this lousy forum sig.

SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

Denouement wrote:This game gave me a lot of emptiness and dread because it was a story of close and interesting relationships, the former I don't have and the latter I'm not sure is possible with those I know. It actually angered me because, me being largely a recluse, being alone was fine and it didn't bother me, but after playing this game a sadness overwhelmed me. Transforming being alone into being lonely.
I only played a week ago so it's hard to say how I'll react in the long run, but I can totally empathize with this.
"Spunky at his Spunkyest/Spunkiest"
"Tissues to the extreme!"