Did we change?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters
Ope5
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:10 am

Re: Did we change?

Post by Ope5 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:45 am

Well, I did, a bit.
I played it only once, got the good Emi ending. I can't play it different ways, that would just feel... less legit.
What I learned\changed is:
I started doing different things, meeting friends more often, going out. Simply changing the way your day goes makes it much better and more valuable.
I started reading more instead of sitting in front of a computer (weird to write it on an online forum, but whatever).
I learned that the way to accept and be proud of yourself is to complete the small goals you give yourself and beating the incoming challenges with somewhat confidency of yourself.
I understood that being sad isn't the actual way to go. Being sad is failing at life. Being able to find happiness in your everyday's life is a challenge, but everyone around profits from that.
Remember the past, live the present and challenge yourself for the future.
Helping someone else is helping yourself.
You can go through ANYTHING if you believe it and accept what comes at you and what you leave behind.
YOUR world is enough to work on, you shouldn't care for politicians fighting for money between each other - you're living your life and no one else's.
Even if someone can deal with his things alone, help, as far as unnecessary, might be useful.
Desire is only a part of love, support is the most important piece of it.
Hiding what you feel from someone is hiding your self from them.
If a person won't accept your feeling when you express them, (s)he's not worth doing so.
Doing the "first step" is the most awkward thing to do, but it doesn't always have such a destructive effect on a friendship than it would be expected to.

Also, I get too involved in good stories, which determine my mood, I can't sleep after a good read, smile can convince people to really big efforts and anal is selfish. Happy stories don't have to be flat ones unless it's a movie and you should try to learn something even from the silliest ones.

And the last - Katawa Shoujo's developers are fucking genius and they deserve all possible prizes for what they've created. The real gems are often hidden, unimposing.
Maybe you'd think it's a lot, and I'm talking bullshit that doesn't matter or something like that, but if you really think about it - this game teaches you how to live.

User avatar
Hisao&Hanako<3
Posts: 554
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:33 pm
Location: United States

Re: Did we change?

Post by Hisao&Hanako<3 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:18 am

^Good stuff. Although I'm sure most others will say, and I agree with them... you really should see all the stories and endings except those you feel moved not to. I have one of those. I got a "6th sense" feeling to just not watch it and I stuck to that. Still got 100% completion though.

User avatar
Xanatos
Posts: 5365
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:40 pm

Re: Did we change?

Post by Xanatos » Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:19 pm

Ope5 wrote:I can't play it different ways, that would just feel... less legit.
That makes no sense at all.

You are required to 100% the game and watch everything. Get to it. :P
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
<KeiichiO>: "That's a beautiful response to chocolate."

User avatar
Mahorfeus
Posts: 680
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:16 pm

Re: Did we change?

Post by Mahorfeus » Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:39 pm

I have yet to get the Emi bad end - that's keeping me at 99%.

Not quite sure if that's on account of lethargy or the fear of more feels.
"A very small degree of hope is sufficient to cause the birth of love." -Stendhal
The verdict is (finally) in:
Hanako > Rin > Emi > Lilly = Shizune

Ope5
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:10 am

Re: Did we change?

Post by Ope5 » Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:33 pm

Xanatos wrote:That makes no sense at all.
You are required to 100% the game and watch everything. Get to it. :P
It does! It's like you're creating an entirely new universe with everything happening the opposite way... That'd feel weird. I have to at least wait a little before getting back to it.
Good to know it's worth doing that at least. Honestly, if not the pictures I saw on some review and this forum, I woudn't even think this game could have more than 2 endings... I got the good Emi end so easily and naturally.

User avatar
Hisao&Hanako<3
Posts: 554
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:33 pm
Location: United States

Re: Did we change?

Post by Hisao&Hanako<3 » Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:59 pm

I got everything without using flowcharts. Was all the more fun that way. And now with the new version and old saves not working, I didn't mind starting again. It's better than the best movie you want to keep watching over and over. If only more people gave it a chance instead of being ignorant.

User avatar
rockin robin
Posts: 203
Joined: Sat May 18, 2013 7:26 pm

Re: Did we change?

Post by rockin robin » Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:11 pm

Hisao&Hanako<3 wrote:I got everything without using flowcharts. Was all the more fun that way. And now with the new version and old saves not working, I didn't mind starting again. It's better than the best movie you want to keep watching over and over. If only more people gave it a chance instead of being ignorant.
It's the fact of its origins.

"You heard of this game by 4 leaf studios"
"Cool, anything else they've done"
"It's they're first project"
"What did they do before"
"They came from four Chan..."
"Not interested, <silent judging>"

90% of conversations I have trying to get people into it.
I kenji's worst nightmare! A FEMINIST!!
have a tracheo-osoephagul puncture.
three years with simmr001 10/06/13

Ope5
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:10 am

Re: Did we change?

Post by Ope5 » Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:47 pm

rockin robin wrote:90% of conversations I have trying to get people into it.
What? If I told my friends about this in the context of 4chan they would just jump onto it, hoping for some really rough porn content...
But I guess there's not much familiar people in the feminist community, is there ;) ?

User avatar
Hisao&Hanako<3
Posts: 554
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:33 pm
Location: United States

Re: Did we change?

Post by Hisao&Hanako<3 » Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:21 pm

I don't even mention 4LS or 4chan when I bring it up. I'm just like hey man, I've been reading these really good stories. They really are impacting and can improve your life.

Still, no one really picks it up. People get bored I guess and are too lazy to read. This generation of computers and smartphones have turned people too lazy to do some of the more simpler things in life. I used to read a lot, so I guess that's why it caught on. I'd have tried it even if I didn't read much before.

People are just hard heads or think it's childish. Yet in their judgements, they do things that are so much more "childish" than reading a story about a high school student that could possibly enrich their lives. I've posted on my Facebook about it, trying to share it with as many friends as possible, but no one gets it.

But, this is the hard reality we live in. People rarely like to pick up new interests or check out something from a genre that they never really got into before. I guess being an anime fan helps. Being into Japanese culture helps too.

I get so frustrated about it, how happy and excited I get talking about it, and yet people still act retarded. It just adds to the ongoing feeling I have that hardly anybody listens to a word I say.

User avatar
rockin robin
Posts: 203
Joined: Sat May 18, 2013 7:26 pm

Re: Did we change?

Post by rockin robin » Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:01 pm

Ope5 wrote:
rockin robin wrote:90% of conversations I have trying to get people into it.
What? If I told my friends about this in the context of 4chan they would just jump onto it, hoping for some really rough porn content...
But I guess there's not much familiar people in the feminist community, is there ;) ?
Most I know think because of my past, dating an overweight giant compared to me and the hole in my neck, they think I got strong tastes.

Which is fucking stupid. Lace, group sex, kimonos, bisexual. I got more in common with them guys than most girls
I kenji's worst nightmare! A FEMINIST!!
have a tracheo-osoephagul puncture.
three years with simmr001 10/06/13

User avatar
rockin robin
Posts: 203
Joined: Sat May 18, 2013 7:26 pm

Re: Did we change?

Post by rockin robin » Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:05 pm

Hisao&Hanako<3 wrote:I don't even mention 4LS or 4chan when I bring it up. I'm just like hey man, I've been reading these really good stories. They really are impacting and can improve your life.

Still, no one really picks it up. People get bored I guess and are too lazy to read. This generation of computers and smartphones have turned people too lazy to do some of the more simpler things in life. I used to read a lot, so I guess that's why it caught on. I'd have tried it even if I didn't read much before.

People are just hard heads or think it's childish. Yet in their judgements, they do things that are so much more "childish" than reading a story about a high school student that could possibly enrich their lives. I've posted on my Facebook about it, trying to share it with as many friends as possible, but no one gets it.

But, this is the hard reality we live in. People rarely like to pick up new interests or check out something from a genre that they never really got into before. I guess being an anime fan helps. Being into Japanese culture helps too.

I get so frustrated about it, how happy and excited I get talking about it, and yet people still act retarded. It just adds to the ongoing feeling I have that hardly anybody listens to a word I say.
Simmr001 was expecting a cheesy but charming parody of those guy gets sent to wrong school so hides he's not meant to be their. Then hisao got tied to a chair :lol:
I kenji's worst nightmare! A FEMINIST!!
have a tracheo-osoephagul puncture.
three years with simmr001 10/06/13

User avatar
Xanatos
Posts: 5365
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:40 pm

Re: Did we change?

Post by Xanatos » Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:39 pm

Ope5 wrote:I woudn't even think this game could have more than 2 endings
:lol: New to the genre, I see. Best buckle in for the ride then...
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
<KeiichiO>: "That's a beautiful response to chocolate."

HotBorscht
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:54 pm

Re: Did we change?

Post by HotBorscht » Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:47 pm

For me, having recently played it, I felt sad and empty after my first 3 play throughs of Lilly, Emi, and Hanako, because I began to get that feeling of desperately wanting to have someone like that for myself. Someone who I could take care of, but at the same time be fond of and allow them to stand on their own two feet (figuratively speaking in Emi's case).

Rin's hit me the hardest. I slowly began to question what drives me, and how I understand people. It's an ongoing process. I honestly felt kind of empty inside after I finished Rin's arc due to the fact that it seemed to me that She always questioned herself throughout the arc, and so I began to do the same.

All in all, I just wanted to thank everyone who put work into this. This visual novel hit me harder than any situation in any other book,game, and life has hit before. I'm terribly sad that I finished it all. This is the first time in my life where I wish I could forget it all, just so I could play it again.

Shizune's hasn't affected me at all because I haven't played it. After finishing Rin's, I got the feeling that nothing could beat the feels I got from her arc. Plus, I can't stand being mean to Lilly, so, sorry shizune, but you can survive with misha.

User avatar
cannedcream
Posts: 27
Joined: Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:00 pm

Re: Did we change?

Post by cannedcream » Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:56 pm

I will say that Katawa has me feeling a lot more... introspective.

As to whether or not anything will actually come of that? Who knows.

User avatar
Numb
Posts: 225
Joined: Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:29 am
Location: In a chair behind a desk. Always.

Re: Did we change?

Post by Numb » Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:21 pm

I stopped being as cynical. I think it's because of Rin honestly, even though I couldn't relate to her much. Her pointing out that Hisao never smiles made me realise the same. I still don't see the world through rose tinted Nomiya shades, but it isn't a monotone wasteland of idiocy and failure anymore.

The only other change I made was to stop treating my disability like some kind of defining feature. Just because I can't feel physical pain doesn't mean I need to be "that guy who can't feel it when you punch him". I would rather be "The guy who writes" or "The guy who plays piano".

I think the message behind KS isn't to see past the superficial, it is to see yourself for the first time. It brings out the 'real' you, and once you know yourself, you are one step closer to bliss. The question is, do you do it alone, or do you have a Hisao of your own to pull you from the deep water?
Currently working on: Notes for a new project (Coming Soon™)
I did KS and other songs on note blocks in Minecraft: Playlist here
Old works| Rooftops - An Emi Story| Christmas with the Hakamichis | Not Like Him - Rin Perspective|Blossom - A Miki pseudo-route

Post Reply