Best use of Side Characters

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

ShadeHaven

Best use of Side Characters

Post by ShadeHaven »

Saw a post that made me wonder. Which route do you think makes the most of it's side characters?

In my opinion, it would be Shizune's. I never really liked putting up with Kenji's rantings most of the time, but his colorful commentary in this route is priceless. Misha obviously receives more character development here compared to other routes.

There's also Hideaki and Jigoro, not to mention some family based interaction with Lilly and Akira.
Xanatos

Re: Best use of Side Characters

Post by Xanatos »

Whichever had Kenji most, simply because he's the one used most.
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
<KeiichiO>: "That's a beautiful response to chocolate."
yummines

Post by yummines »

As much as I hate Nomiya, I have to say he did make an impact on the story.

Though I still would have to go with Shizune. Cmon it had Misha. dose drills mang
Dream

Post by Dream »

Still haven't played Lilly and Shizune's routes, but i thought that Hanako's route made a really great use of Lilly (and Akira and Yuuko, for that matter) With Emi's route as a close second.
"It is not reason, more or less furnished, but will that makes the world march"

"Unfortunately, if you can think of something really stupid, someone out there probably believes it." -Xanatos
Ste

Post by Ste »

Misha is not a side character: as a matter of fact, the main character in Shizune's route is Misha.
Jigoro and Hideaki are totally useless characters and their scenes are just fillers.
OtakuNinja

Post by OtakuNinja »

Shizune's or Rin's.
Emibro, Hanabro, [Lilly Lover], Rin Kin, Feminist, Two-timer
(Passively working on my KS YouTube series. Someday...)
Xybaro

Post by Xybaro »

OtakuNinja wrote:Shizune's or Rin's.
This.

Also, Lilly is NOT a side character, @Dream.
Hanako Lover
Denouement

Post by Denouement »

Well you COULD say that side mines all of those exclusing Hisao and the girl of the path you are on. After all, it isn't a matter of being minor or major that decides whether you are a "side" character. It is perhaps worth looking to see which paths also handle the other girls well, if at all (for some make a few of the girls all but nonexistent if I remember correctly). This realization really makes me want to refresh my memory of the paths all the more.

It is interesting to hear someone say Rin because I've always felt a severe lack of interesting characters in hers let alone OTHER characters. Although Nomiya and Sae do make a significant impact story wise if that is what is meant. After all, it could be said that side characters of other paths don't tend to make giant vital impressions, at least perhaps not compared to Rin's.

Lilly's is the best because I found the use of the shopkeeper to be incredibly interesting. jk

Also, I found it frustrating they made Miki and used her in Hanako's since that then made me immediately desire to pursue her as a path. She is very fine. o.o Plus we don't have any true tomboy personality characters, nor any with tan skin. Though admittedly her "disability" isn't all that interesting compared to the other's.
OtakuNinja

Post by OtakuNinja »

Xybaro wrote:
I can't believe I didn't see that.

My waifu is not a side character! :x
Emibro, Hanabro, [Lilly Lover], Rin Kin, Feminist, Two-timer
(Passively working on my KS YouTube series. Someday...)
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

For me it's a toss-up between Hanako and Lilly.

Now even if we don't want to say that Hanako counts as Lilly's supporting cast and viceversa, they still have most of the same characters. Akira is one of the best supporting cast members in the game. She appears in both routes, but she's gives the most to do in Lilly's and helps with the plot and establishing backstory (including what Misha used to look like.)

On the other hand, Hanako's route has the bets use of Yuuko, who's also pretty cool and is the only route to feature Miki.

Emi's route doesn't really do anything wrong, but at the same time, it doesn't really stick out much. Although it does have the best use of Mutou, even the his appearances are rather subdued.

The lack of other characters in Rin's route is actually a strength. It focuses the plot soley on Hisao and Rin trying to connect. The other characters that appear are older unrelatable adults that never quite connect. While they serve the plot, they don't do anything to alleviate the sense of loneliness the route has.

Shizune's probably has the worst use of side characters. It has a good bit of Kenji and Misha is the most well developed side character in the game, but Misha actually overshadows the main character in her route, coming across as much better developed, likable, and sympathetic than the main character. Side characters aren't supposed to show up the star. :lol: Shizune also has Hideaki and Jigoro and they're just horrible.
Not Dead Yet
ProfAllister

Post by ProfAllister »

Kind of funny how so many people are arguing that Misha overshadows Shizune in her route. She's not the main character - that's just absurd, Hisao's the main character. She's not the focal character - Shizune rightly deserves that position, since she's the main focus. But she's not a side character, either; she plays far too important a role for that appellation. She's something altogether different.

Misha is the villain.

She is the source of the biggest conflict. She is the instigator. She is the method of the hero's downfall. She's also adorable and lovable.

Now, with Misha as the villain, you can't argue that her appeal makes for a weak story. Do people hate Batman because the Joker is a more interesting character?

Admittedly, from this perspective, Shizune is simply the MacGuffin. And msot people would agree that the MacGuffin, by its very nature of being the MacGuffin, isn't all that interesting.

But Shizune is also the journey. She directs the flow of the plot. Hisao grows as he comes closer to her. For all her outward appearance of being active, she is (generally) the passive member of the relationship, largely dependent on Hisao taking the first step.

And, on top of that, there's a wealth of information hidden behind subtext, deaf culture, and Japanese culture. As a general rule, you have to work to get the full effect. (Which some may rightfully argue is a bad thing.)

Finally, on the subject of Hideaki and Jigoro, if I may direct you toward Emi's route (stay with me for a moment), there is a prominent theme: Rather than direct inquiry, you can perhaps learn more about your subject by observing its surroundings, and how it interacts with them. Jigoro and Hideaki are not, perhaps, interesting of themselves, but they add value because of what they tell you about Shizune.

That being said, in response to the OP's question, my gut reaction would be Emi or Shizune, with a leaning toward Shizune.

Alternately, we can do it scientifically!

Let us assign value for the different characters, based upon the Law of Conservation of Detail (In this case, an established character is more valuable than the introduction of a new character).

The Focal Character is the character whose route is involved. The Core character and the main character are technically the only two non-side characters.
The Core Characters are characters that you WILL meet in act one. To wit: Kenji, the non-focal girls, Mutou, Nurse, Yuuko
The Secondary Characters feature in multiple routes, but are not core. Akira, Hideaki, and Meiko.
The Tertiary characters are unique to a single route. Othello, Sae, Nomiya, Miki, Jigoro.

Now, let's make Core = 3 points, Secondary = 2 points, and Tertiary = 1 point. If a character is particularly plot relevant, they get another point. If a character just gets a cameo or short scene, they're one point.

Lilly: Kenji, Hanako, Emi(1), Rin(1), Misha(1), Shizune(1+1), Mutou(1), Yuuko, Nurse(1), Akira(+1), Hideaki, Othello = 23
Hanako: Kenji, Lilly(+1), Misha, Shizune, Mutou, Nurse(1), Yuuko, Akira, Miki = 23
Emi: Kenji, Rin(+1), Misha(+1), Shizune, Mutou(+1), Nurse(+1), Yuuko, Lilly(1), Meiko(+1) = 29
Rin: Kenji, Emi, Misha(1), Mutou, Yuuko, Nurse(1), Meiko(1), Sae(+1), Nomiya(+1) = 19
Shizune: Kenji, Misha(+1), Hanako(1), Lilly, Akira, Mutou(1), Yuuko, Hideaki(+1), Jigoro(+1) = 22

Looks like it's objectively Emi by a landslide. Science would approve.
Current Project: Misha Pseudo-Route

Discord ID: ProfAllister#9754
Discord server
Denouement

Post by Denouement »

Oddball wrote:The lack of other characters in Rin's route is actually a strength. It focuses the plot soley on Hisao and Rin trying to connect. The other characters that appear are older unrelatable adults that never quite connect. While they serve the plot, they don't do anything to alleviate the sense of loneliness the route has.
That's a good point. I guess it was just a harsh contrast for me from having done Emi's first which involved Hisao having a rather healthy well-rounded path then going straight to this very focused and singular path, irregardless of how beautiful it was to me.
Shizune's probably has the worst use of side characters. It has a good bit of Kenji and Misha is the most well developed side character in the game, but Misha actually overshadows the main character in her route, coming across as much better developed, likable, and sympathetic than the main character. Side characters aren't supposed to show up the star. :lol: Shizune also has Hideaki and Jigoro and they're just horrible.
I enjoy that I'm not the only one who hates Jigoro, he wasn't funny at all to me. Constant negative energy has to be very amusing if it is to be acceptable to me, and he just didn't seem to justify himself. Though I guess his worth is not in himself but in relation to Shizune as someone else said. That being the case, didn't so much mind Hideaki. Him being quiet or largely blank doesn't bother me, in fact I'm probably one of few who can find that interesting (perhaps because I'm similar :lol: ).

Going to use this opportunity also to disagree with some people. Misha to me did not overshadow or seem more likable to me at all. She didn't have much of an interesting personality, plus her idea of "comfort" really rubbed me the wrong way (still have to go through all of that bad ending).

In addition, @ProfAllister, that isn't really much of an objective proof considering the system is arbitrary, all in all being subjective. Science would not approve! Interesting nonetheless I guess.
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

OtakuNinja wrote:
Xybaro wrote:
I can't believe I didn't see that.

My waifu is not a side character! :x
She is in Hanako's route. A major side character but a side character nonetheless.

Also, I'm voting for Emi's route here because Nurse was crazy awesome there.
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
<KeiichiO>: "That's a beautiful response to chocolate."
Megumeru

Post by Megumeru »

Now for best use of side-characters in each route...
Emi.
As much as I find her route less to my liking, most of Emi's background story are learned from the characters that are around them--that, and if you include the dad as well who has an honorary mention and is the main source of Emi's stresses then you have quite a number of side characters in total.

But best being side-characters?
Shizune and Misha-duo, and I'll lay down my arguments...here. If we're talking about the use of 'side characters', then it is best to look not only their involvement in ONE route, but ALL routes.
Also as a dream-crushing attempt, all main characters in a VN are degraded into side characters when you picked a specific route--that, or they're left to rot in the background.

Name me one character beside Shizune and Misha-duo who appears in all the routes, act as Hisao's crutch when he fell down/struggle OR as a supporting character that compliments the plot.

-Kenji provides comic humor
-Mutou is Hisao's homeroom teacher
-Yuuko similarly provides comic humor or breather

Aside from them...none. inai. nul. zero.

The only duo who did so--except their own route, of course--is Shizune and Misha.
-In Rin's route, Shizune and Misha caught Hisao drawing the bird and tells him that he needs practice. This hinted that Hisao's true purpose in joining the art club wasn't because he is interested in it or is good at it, but because of one particular individual who is in the art club
-In Hanako's route, Shizune and Misha encourage Hisao to take the girl to the health office after her break down in class. Further, they're the one who filled the background details of Hanako's breakdown and how it happen each year.
-In Emi's route, Shizune and Misha noticed how Hisao has been spending his time alone rather than with Emi as usual. With a little incentive from Misha, she confronts Hisao and asks him about it and--depending on your choice--leads him into finding Emi and making up with her.
-In Lilly's route, Shizune is the first person to step up and reconcile with Lilly, ending the long-standing feud.

is there anyone else who can top Shizune and Misha combo with that kind of record? If you're a Shizuist and played her route first (like I am), you'd find it much more difficult to forget about that 'cheating feeling' since you'll keep bumping to them at the other girl's route and even expanded their own characters--not just the plot or background.

To add, their route ends with them graduating and completing their time in Yamaku High. You can't shake the feeling that Shizune's route is canon :D
and that's why, Shizune is best girl 8)

Oh, and ProfAllistar, my respect to you :)
You don't know how glad I feel knowing I don't have to bitch about that over and over again. Cheers!
They say they hate Shizune? What is this? BLASPHEMY!

SHII-HAEL!
Shizune>Rin>Emi>Hanako>Lilly
"A writer is a light that reveals the world of his story from darkness. Shapes it from nothingness. If the writer stops, the world dies with it." - Alan Wake
Yes, I write stories. Currently working on: The Haunting: A Love Story
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

Shizune and Misha-duo, and I'll lay down my arguments...here. If we're talking about the use of 'side characters', then it is best to look not only their involvement in ONE route, but ALL routes.
Also as a dream-crushing attempt, all main characters in a VN are degraded into side characters when you picked a specific route--that, or they're left to rot in the background.
I was trying to avoid counting main girls as side characters, but to an extent, I can agree with you here. In fact, I actually like both of them better as side characters than I do as characters on their own. Although I think Misha tends to show up to help out much more than Shizune does.
Not Dead Yet