Best use of Side Characters

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Oddball

Re: Best use of Side Characters

Post by Oddball »

Denouement wrote:Well that's legitimately disappointing.
I'll try to put on a better show for you next time, but I'll have to find a new co-star first. :wink:
Not Dead Yet
Tomate

Post by Tomate »

What a disappointing ending...
Don't just eat that hamburger, eat the HELL out of it!
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

So, to get things a bit more back on topic ...

What do you think the best uses or scenes for the various individual side characters were, regardless of their route.

I think Mutou contributed most to Emi's route, although I really do like how he handled Hanako's break down as well. It wasn't a big scene for him, but it showed that he really does know what he's doing. He's not all just awkwardness and science talk.

Kenji's "shaman eyes" scene was great. I also really like his theory on Lilly's mafia ties.

Yuuko seems at her best in Hanako's route and actually gives quite a bit of decent advice and fleshes herself out as a character more. Not counting her watching the fireworks with Hanako (which was just really cute), my favorite lines with her were the "I'm not sleeping and welcome to the Shanghai!" and when Hisao tells her his friends are having problems "but it's not Shizune and Misha," although that's more due to Hisao messing up there.

While it might be considered stretching things a tad, I also really like how Hisao's reaction to Iwanako's letter various depending on which route you're in.
Not Dead Yet
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

Oddball wrote:So, to get things a bit more back on topic ...

What do you think the best uses or scenes for the various individual side characters were, regardless of their route.

I think Mutou contributed most to Emi's route, although I really do like how he handled Hanako's break down as well. It wasn't a big scene for him, but it showed that he really does know what he's doing. He's not all just awkwardness and science talk.

Kenji's "shaman eyes" scene was great. I also really like his theory on Lilly's mafia ties.

Yuuko seems at her best in Hanako's route and actually gives quite a bit of decent advice and fleshes herself out as a character more. Not counting her watching the fireworks with Hanako (which was just really cute), my favorite lines with her were the "I'm not sleeping and welcome to the Shanghai!" and when Hisao tells her his friends are having problems "but it's not Shizune and Misha," although that's more due to Hisao messing up there.

While it might be considered stretching things a tad, I also really like how Hisao's reaction to Iwanako's letter various depending on which route you're in.
Any scene with Nurse and Emi in her route is gold. Kenji's weirdly poignant shaman eyes too.

Yuuko and Akira are always great in their scenes. And oddly enough, I enjoyed a few of Hideaki's scenes too.
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
<KeiichiO>: "That's a beautiful response to chocolate."
Mahorfeus

Post by Mahorfeus »

I liked Miki in Hanako's route. She served as a good way of giving Hisao some third party insight on Hanako, and for all intents and purposes, she cheered him on from the sidelines. It was a small role but I felt that it made a difference in the long run.
"A very small degree of hope is sufficient to cause the birth of love." -Stendhal
Megumeru

Post by Megumeru »

Denouement wrote:Well that's legitimately disappointing.
It is, isn't it? He can't prove his claims and most of it is baseless--like usual. Frankly I'm not surprised; it's always a short, easy victory when you shoot-down baseless claims with supported arguments. It's like 88mm shells against M4 Shermans, or flak guns against aircraft. I actually find Xanatos's rebutal more entertaining to look in to.

But back on topic,

I'd say the Nurse's role in Emi's arc is pretty exceptional. Although you can't notice it at first, there's that father-daughter-like bond between them besides the usual friendly banter. The Nurse also provide some information about Emi--and I believe there's a sub-plot involving him and Emi's mom? Though that wasn't covered entirely in the arc, there's definitely more about the Nurse.

...makes me want to look into his character a little further now
They say they hate Shizune? What is this? BLASPHEMY!

SHII-HAEL!
Shizune>Rin>Emi>Hanako>Lilly
"A writer is a light that reveals the world of his story from darkness. Shapes it from nothingness. If the writer stops, the world dies with it." - Alan Wake
Yes, I write stories. Currently working on: The Haunting: A Love Story
Guest Poster

Post by Guest Poster »

(witnesses semi-sarcastic posts voice disappointment an argument didn't turn into a full-blown flamewar)

(witnesses post above take semi-sarcastic posts completely seriously)

(blinks once in disbelief)

Anyway, I recall there wasn't anything specific regarding the Nurse and Emi's mom, but it's mentioned that the nurse stayed over for dinner at Emi's place and is on first-name terms with Meiko. (though he's quick to get on first-name terms with Hisao, so that may not mean much) So either he's a friend of the family, or he's into (admittedly attractive) older women.
Sisterhood: True Edition. Hanako epilogue I wrote. Now expanded with additional chapters.
Denouement

Post by Denouement »

The only thing I can vaguely remember was Emi's mother getting a text and remarking about it during the part where you watch Emi be her Emiest.
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

Denouement wrote:The only thing I can vaguely remember was Emi's mother getting a text and remarking about it during the part where you watch Emi be her Emiest.
When Emi invites Hisao over to her house, Nurse acts like she was talking to him and accepts. She says something like,"I wasn't talking to you. You were over last week!"
Not Dead Yet
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

Guest Poster wrote:(witnesses semi-sarcastic posts voice disappointment an argument didn't turn into a full-blown flamewar)

(witnesses post above take semi-sarcastic posts completely seriously)

(blinks once in disbelief)

Anyway, I recall there wasn't anything specific regarding the Nurse and Emi's mom, but it's mentioned that the nurse stayed over for dinner at Emi's place and is on first-name terms with Meiko. (though he's quick to get on first-name terms with Hisao, so that may not mean much) So either he's a friend of the family, or he's into (admittedly attractive) older women.
Nurse is the one who helped Emi after the loss of her legs, re-learning to walk and all. He's either a close friend or honorary family after that, hence the close relationship with the family.
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
<KeiichiO>: "That's a beautiful response to chocolate."
Megumeru

Post by Megumeru »

Now that I actually have the time to look into these things again...
Xanatos wrote: Nurse is the one who helped Emi after the loss of her legs, re-learning to walk and all. He's either a close friend or honorary family after that, hence the close relationship with the family.
That particular scene is 'An Apple A Day', to which the Nurse said that he and--presumably the Ibarazakis--have a more "familiar relationship than is strictly professional"

Hisao then followed by saying that the nurse seemed to be embarrassed and that he'll keep it discreet.

This part of the chapter explains the relationship of the Nurse and the Ibarazakis to a certain degree that:
-Nurse has known Emi far longer than Hisao
-Nurse was involved in Emi's amputation
-Emi and Nurse shares a familiar but close relationship.

Next, on the chapter "track meet".
Here we are introduced with Emi's mom. As we know, Emi's mom watched the first couple of races before a text message from someone--to which she said "text message. What is he, sixteen?"--forces her to leave and meet up with this individual.

Guess where's the Nurse during that time?
On the next chapter, "Down that Medicine Now", the Nurse was checking on Hisao's condition to which the conversation turn in favor of Emi. One particular line the Nurse said that caught my attention is this:
"That she was, Hisao. I watched her first couple of races before I had some business to take care of, but she told me all about it."

So the Nurse was at the track meet, but left at about the same time Meiko did. Coincidence?

on the same chapter, the Nurse actually reveals more about Emi and her relationship with him. Their familiarity is enough for the Nurse to read into Emi without having her tell him everything--not to mention, they gave the same line to Hisao:
"Take your damn medicine", followed with the Nurse smiling 'as if he's in some joke [Hisao] doesn't know of'.

I'm starting to get a father-daughter like relationship between Nurse and Emi--or as close to it since her biological father is off-the-grid. That, or the Nurse happen to fill the 'father figure'-role for Emi after her loss, so I'm seeing some possibility that the Nurse might have something with Emi's mom and is waiting for Emi to get over her past and accept him into the family--though, this last bit is still more or less a theory.

...huh, interesting. I might actually bump Emi up my favorite...
They say they hate Shizune? What is this? BLASPHEMY!

SHII-HAEL!
Shizune>Rin>Emi>Hanako>Lilly
"A writer is a light that reveals the world of his story from darkness. Shapes it from nothingness. If the writer stops, the world dies with it." - Alan Wake
Yes, I write stories. Currently working on: The Haunting: A Love Story
FoxtrotZero

Post by FoxtrotZero »

ShadeHaven wrote:Saw a post that made me wonder. Which route do you think makes the most of it's side characters?

In my opinion, it would be Shizune's. I never really liked putting up with Kenji's rantings most of the time, but his colorful commentary in this route is priceless. Misha obviously receives more character development here compared to other routes.

There's also Hideaki and Jigoro, not to mention some family based interaction with Lilly and Akira.
Kenji and Yukko are well done in Emi's, but there's a lot of context in Shizune's that completes that.

I'd say Akira in Lilly's, but I don't even consider a side-character she's so involved.
Reccomended Fanfic: Sisterhood by Guest Poster - Braving the Storm by Doomish - Akira Pseudo-Route (WIP) by Thanatos02
Snapped

Post by Snapped »

Might be just bias talking, but I think Lilly's route had the best use of side characters, even if the same characters were in other routes.

While Hanako wasn't really involved with the story the way Lilly was in Hanako's, I think the use of Akira and Kenji are the best examples.

Kenji in Lilly's route isn't just a side joke or random funny things that can be placed easily in any girls path, he helps tell the story. Kenji's questions leads Hisao asking more about Lilly's past, instead of just coasting along and being coddled. And the later part where Lilly trips has him once again a main part of it, showing Lilly having trouble keeping the act up even in front of classmates. Best use of Kenji in any of the routes to tell the main story, instead of just having wacky side stories about Kenji. (The book thief? Random fetch quest for a box? Talking about his ex? All good, but they tend to make the game as a whole VN better, rather then just one route)

Of course, Kenji is a minor character compared to Akira. Akira shows a side to Lilly that isn't presented from Hisao's love-struck perspective, one that Lilly is human and may need help too, even if she pretends otherwise.
Akira is the one to point out her grudge with Shizune is likely blown out of perspective by both sides, making it look like the silly spat it is between two teenage girls.
Akira is the one to out and out say their family can be jackasses, where Lilly always implied things were perfectly fine.
Lastly, Akira tells Hisao the about the sword hanging over their relationship, showing Lilly has been secretive as well as unsupported in her personal dilemma.

Lilly may of swept Hisao off his feet with her many fine qualities, but its Akira that put Hisao on the path to be a partner in their relationship, instead of a passive receiver. Without Akira, Hisao likely never would of gone after Lilly at the airport. Akira didn't just give advice, but helped Hisao understand Lilly better.
Carighan

Post by Carighan »

The best side character? Misha.
That is, in total. Obviously a lion share of that is her use as the central plot device in Shizune's story.

But, away from that for a second, the way you realize (and mind you, I played Shizune's path first, this got to be more impacting if you do it later) that no, she isn't just an extension of Shizune, but for a very specific reason she - as a person - made herself that. That's pretty interesting, because I don't know about you but I saw her as a comic relief character which otherwise serves as a practical extension to Shizune. It was only after the roof scene at the end of Act 3 that I thought about how this was written quite cleverly, it tricked me into thinking nothing more of her, and badamm!, central problem of the story.
The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.
HarvestmanMan

Post by HarvestmanMan »

Honestly, Nomiya is used so frequently in Rin's route that it's hard for me to call him a side character.
Current Number of Fanfics Cooked: 2