Best Good Ending

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

The Best Good Ending Is...

Lilly
40
47%
Hanako
19
22%
Emi
10
12%
Rin
11
13%
Shizune
5
6%
 
Total votes: 85

User avatar
Megumeru
Posts: 1260
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:17 am
Location: Land of the Rising Sun

Re: Best Good Ending

Post by Megumeru » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:02 am

Shizune's ending for its believabity and bittersweetness.

Followed closely by Hanako, then Rin. Don't get me started on Lilly's
Image
They say they hate Shizune? What is this? BLASPHEMY!

SHII-HAEL!
Shizune>Rin>Emi>Hanako>Lilly
"A writer is a light that reveals the world of his story from darkness. Shapes it from nothingness. If the writer stops, the world dies with it." - Alan Wake
Yes, I write stories. Currently working on: The Haunting: A Love Story

User avatar
OtakuNinja
Posts: 1417
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:42 pm
Location: Sweden
Contact:

Re: Best Good Ending

Post by OtakuNinja » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:58 am

When I think of the best good ending, I think from a love perspective. Shizune's ending had no love in it, only friendship. :)
Xanatos wrote:
Archangel Gabriel wrote:For me, I'd have to say it was Lilly's good ending.
Spoilers: Megumeru disagrees with you and will voice this opinion at length.
This. :lol:
Image
Emibro, Hanabro, [Lilly Lover], Rin Kin, Feminist, Two-timer

User avatar
Megumeru
Posts: 1260
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:17 am
Location: Land of the Rising Sun

Re: Best Good Ending

Post by Megumeru » Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:11 pm

OtakuNinja wrote:When I think of the best good ending, I think from a love perspective. Shizune's ending had no love in it, only friendship. :)
Xanatos wrote:
Archangel Gabriel wrote:For me, I'd have to say it was Lilly's good ending.
Spoilers: Megumeru disagrees with you and will voice this opinion at length.
This. :lol:
Hey, don't poke my desire to do so just yet :lol:
if any it's OtakuNinja thay I'd like to growl on

But no love you say? No love you say? :x
Last edited by Megumeru on Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Image
They say they hate Shizune? What is this? BLASPHEMY!

SHII-HAEL!
Shizune>Rin>Emi>Hanako>Lilly
"A writer is a light that reveals the world of his story from darkness. Shapes it from nothingness. If the writer stops, the world dies with it." - Alan Wake
Yes, I write stories. Currently working on: The Haunting: A Love Story

User avatar
Denouement
Posts: 115
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:28 am

Re: Best Good Ending

Post by Denouement » Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:19 pm

The only gripe with the ending really is that Lilly's desire to move is perhaps a bit hard to justify. I understand she "has her own life to lead" as she put it I think, but considering all of the promises she made, she is going to throw them away to be with the family she recently met? I mean, her sister is going too, whom she has been living with. It still seems a bit sucky, I even remember when playing it I was thinking, "Wow, the fact that she is doing this kind of sucks." I don't absolutely fault it for it though because a part of me still says that it could still happen and thus understandable on some level, be it sucky or not.

Others might say its cliche and that makes it bad, but honestly I didn't care while playing through it because it felt so awesome. At that point it would be a bit insincere to say I felt it was lacking because it was cliche considering it still impacted me so hard in the feels area.

User avatar
OtakuNinja
Posts: 1417
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:42 pm
Location: Sweden
Contact:

Re: Best Good Ending

Post by OtakuNinja » Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:57 pm

Megumeru wrote:
OtakuNinja wrote:When I think of the best good ending, I think from a love perspective. Shizune's ending had no love in it, only friendship. :)
But no love you say? No love you say? :x
Exactly. It was more like "friends with benefits". :lol:
Image
Emibro, Hanabro, [Lilly Lover], Rin Kin, Feminist, Two-timer

User avatar
Megumeru
Posts: 1260
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:17 am
Location: Land of the Rising Sun

Re: Best Good Ending

Post by Megumeru » Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:05 pm

OtakuNinja wrote: Exactly. It was more like "friends with benefits". :lol:
Image

then you don't know love....
Image
They say they hate Shizune? What is this? BLASPHEMY!

SHII-HAEL!
Shizune>Rin>Emi>Hanako>Lilly
"A writer is a light that reveals the world of his story from darkness. Shapes it from nothingness. If the writer stops, the world dies with it." - Alan Wake
Yes, I write stories. Currently working on: The Haunting: A Love Story

User avatar
Xanatos
Posts: 5365
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:40 pm

Re: Best Good Ending

Post by Xanatos » Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:08 pm

OtakuNinja wrote:
Megumeru wrote:
OtakuNinja wrote:When I think of the best good ending, I think from a love perspective. Shizune's ending had no love in it, only friendship. :)
But no love you say? No love you say? :x
Exactly. It was more like "friends with benefits". :lol:
That was Emi's route, actually. :lol:
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
<KeiichiO>: "That's a beautiful response to chocolate."

User avatar
OtakuNinja
Posts: 1417
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:42 pm
Location: Sweden
Contact:

Re: Best Good Ending

Post by OtakuNinja » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:53 pm

Xanatos wrote:
OtakuNinja wrote:
Megumeru wrote:But no love you say? No love you say? :x
Exactly. It was more like "friends with benefits". :lol:
That was Emi's route, actually. :lol:
Actually it was both routes. Maybe Rin's route too? And definitely Hanako's. Oh, and Misha's if she had one. Therefore Lilly had the best good ending. :mrgreen:
Image
Emibro, Hanabro, [Lilly Lover], Rin Kin, Feminist, Two-timer

Archangel Gabriel
Posts: 29
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:49 am

Re: Best Good Ending

Post by Archangel Gabriel » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:03 pm

Megumeru wrote:
OtakuNinja wrote: Exactly. It was more like "friends with benefits". :lol:
http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2011/ ... 3pbwit.jpg

then you don't know love....
*insert lame Haddaway reference here*
Last edited by Silentcook on Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Don't quote images that were just posted, people...
Image
Routes: Lilly=Hanako=Shizune>Emi>Rin
Girls: Shizune=Lilly=Hanako>Emi>Rin=Misha
So many people cheering on Hisao cheating with Misha....To cheat on popular people is horrendous. To cheat on unpopular people is harmless?

User avatar
Xanatos
Posts: 5365
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:40 pm

Re: Best Good Ending

Post by Xanatos » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:13 pm

OtakuNinja wrote:Actually it was Emi's route :mrgreen:
FIFY. :P
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
<KeiichiO>: "That's a beautiful response to chocolate."

User avatar
Megumeru
Posts: 1260
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:17 am
Location: Land of the Rising Sun

Re: Best Good Ending

Post by Megumeru » Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:03 am

OtakuNinja wrote: Actually it was both routes. Maybe Rin's route too? And definitely Hanako's. Oh, and Misha's if she had one. Therefore Lilly had the best good ending. :mrgreen:
I find Lilly's good ending more...'generic' if we remove the epilogue bonus most of the other routes lack. It's basically the only--I'll say again only route which has an epilogue.

Now let's say we expand the potential a little and add all the other routes with epilogues. For example:
Rin - Here we have Hisao and Rin, lying down in the sun flower field with eyes pointed towards the sky as they watch the cloud passes by. Then at one point, Rin--who's engrossed in watching clouds--ask Hisao what he thinks of her. Then in the middle of answering the question, Rin points out 'hey, that cloud looks like pies.' She pause, 'I like pies'. Hisao laughs chuckles at her randomness. (end Hanako epilogue)

Hanako - We have Hisao and Hanako in the cafe, maybe a little talk. At one point, Hisao tells Hanako how 'she's quite daring with her public display of affection a day or so ago', to which at this point Hanako blushes and stutters. (end Hanako epilogue)

Shizune - starts off in a near distant future between Shizune and Hisao talking how they are going to tell Misha, to which the former insisted to tell Misha directly. When they do meet, Misha--with her jolly laugh and smile--greets the two of them. Shizune snaps her finger to gain Misha's attention, raise her left hand and reveal to Misha a ring on her finger; Hisao followed suite soon after. (End Shizune epilogue)

Emi - Back on the track, Hisao and Emi are doing their regular routine. At one point Hisao grew tired and rested, to which Emi took the opportunity to kiss Hisao and tells him 'is that enough energy for you?' (End Emi epilogue)

It made so much difference with an epilogue involved.
Last edited by Megumeru on Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image
They say they hate Shizune? What is this? BLASPHEMY!

SHII-HAEL!
Shizune>Rin>Emi>Hanako>Lilly
"A writer is a light that reveals the world of his story from darkness. Shapes it from nothingness. If the writer stops, the world dies with it." - Alan Wake
Yes, I write stories. Currently working on: The Haunting: A Love Story

ProfAllister
Posts: 496
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:49 pm

Re: Best Good Ending

Post by ProfAllister » Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:17 am

OtakuNinja wrote:
Xanatos wrote:
OtakuNinja wrote: Exactly. It was more like "friends with benefits". :lol:
That was Emi's route, actually. :lol:
Actually it was both routes. Maybe Rin's route too? And definitely Hanako's. Oh, and Misha's if she had one. Therefore Lilly had the best good ending. :mrgreen:
I'd REALLY hate to get involved in this, because you guys can't seem to keep this discussion to one thread, but let me set out a few points.

Lilly goes to Scotland.
Lilly's parents ask her to return to Scotland permanently.
Lilly makes a "heartfelt" confession to Hisao and immediately jumps his bones.
Lilly and Hisao get it on a LOT.
It's revealed that Lilly has been seriously considering returning to Scotland permanently. (Since before there was any serious established relationship.)
Lilly decides not return to Scotland because Hisao nearly kills himself over the prospect of losing her.

Something something shouldn't throw stones, I think it goes?


As for the actual topic...

Rin's is the most cathartic, and perhaps my favorite of the good ends. From confusion and inner conflict to insight, understanding, and a true sense of connection. No other route took me to deeper lows or raised me to higher heights.

Emi's is a strong entry as well. It was my first, so there's that bias. It doesn't take you quite as low as Rin's route, and the "safety valve" was a nice touch. And I must admit that I absolutely love her monologue in the cemetery.

Shizune's is pretty severely underrated (of course). If you're counting the ending as everything following the final branch (or at least where things truly diverge), Shizune's ending has easily the most titillating H scene, if you're into that kind of thing (and is also a major indicator of Shizune's character development, but that's another discussion entirely). The final wrap-up is kind of subdued, and more introspective than dramatic, but it's also more grounded in reality, and the fact that high school, even your last year, is NOT all that relevant to most peoples' futures.

Hanako's and Lilly's are sweet, and I may rate them low because they came on the tail end of my KSFeels binge, but they felt a little... manipulative. Maybe I'm just old and jaded, but I think their endings were too Hollywood. Public breakdowns, heroic acts in declaration of love - they feel cinematic, but that also makes them feel a little fake to me. It may just be because I'm a private person, but I really can't get behind these endings the way so many others can.

That being said, with the exception of Shizune, I've only actually played each of the routes once (and combed individuals scenes many times for reference material). And a second playthrough of Shizune's route dramatically shifted my opinion. So take that as you will.
Current Project: Misha Pseudo-Route

Discord ID: ProfAllister#9754
Discord server

User avatar
Mirage_GSM
Posts: 6059
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:24 am
Location: Germany

Re: Best Good Ending

Post by Mirage_GSM » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:03 am

Megumeru wrote:I find Lilly's good ending more...'generic' if we remove the epilogue bonus most of the other routes lack. It's basically the only--I'll say again only route which has an epilogue.
That depends on your definition of "epilogue".
Lilly's arc is the only one where the last scene was placed after the credits. That was an artistic decision by her path writer, not an effort to make her path more complete than the others. This has been confirmed several times by more than one member of the dev team, so I don't understand why people are still making a big deal of it.

For me, an epilogue is everything that happens after the main conflict of the story has been resolved.
So, yes, the after-credit-scene in Lilly's arc is kind of an epilogue.
But so is the scenen with Hisao and Rin in the daffodil field.
So is everything in Emi's path after the funeral scene.
And so is the (admittedly short) part after Hisao and Hanako's talk in the park.
It's a bit more difficult to define the exact point in Shizune's path but at the very least the graduation part is an epilogue.

I don't think the scenes you proposed would have added anything to the stories in question.
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.

User avatar
Xanatos
Posts: 5365
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:40 pm

Re: Best Good Ending

Post by Xanatos » Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:54 pm

Mirage_GSM wrote:For me, an epilogue is everything that happens after the main conflict of the story has been resolved.

So, yes, the after-credit-scene in Lilly's arc is kind of an epilogue.
How can that be an epilogue when it's the scene where the conflict is resolved in the first place?
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
<KeiichiO>: "That's a beautiful response to chocolate."

User avatar
ShadeHaven
Posts: 564
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:10 am

Re: Best Good Ending

Post by ShadeHaven » Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:34 pm

Xanatos wrote:
Mirage_GSM wrote:For me, an epilogue is everything that happens after the main conflict of the story has been resolved.

So, yes, the after-credit-scene in Lilly's arc is kind of an epilogue.
How can that be an epilogue when it's the scene where the conflict is resolved in the first place?
My memory is fuzzy, but wouldn't that be scene in the hospital room? I don't remember the epilogue resolving much.

Post Reply