Bacon Tagging

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Nekken

Re: Bacon Tagging

Post by Nekken »

Xanatos wrote:
Nekken wrote:
Xanatos wrote:No bully in history has ever thought they were just having "friendly harmless fun". Bullying is an aggressive act by definition and aggression is never friendly, even if harmless. The very act precludes any notion of friendliness toward one's victims. That's why they're called bullies.
That's an awfully absolutist way to look at the issue, and as someone who (to my great shame) can speak from both perspectives, I can also tell you that it isn't always true. Some bullies truly don't grasp the enormity of their actions: there are monsters among them, certainly, but there are also fools, and you have to deal with them differently. What works for one type won't work for the other.
It isn't always true?

In what situation, then, are blatantly aggressive actions considered friendly?
As recently as a few decades ago, it was pretty much the norm for friendships among Western males: so pervasive that bullying was often mistaken for it, even by adults. It's still depressingly common in some circles. This has given birth to a lot of what I call the foolish type of bully, especially among those who have been bullied themselves but seen it dismissed by adults as "horsing around" or "hazing."

You seem to think that by classifying some bullies as non-monsters, my goal was to justify their actions. Nothing could be further from the truth: what I seek to do is classify their behavior patterns, and in so doing, find the different ways to deal with the different types.
Falling in love is a volcano. Being in love is a kotatsu.
Auratus

Post by Auratus »

Can anyone tells me in a nutshell that why this topic suddenly have 4-5 more pages in 2 days?
I want to make Thai Translation of KS alone and protesting with this signature.

Unofficially Demanding. Temporary even-more malfunctioned in English Grammar.

Introducing one of the few thread of it's kind that bring the world together. Wait, Whatever then.
Guest Poster

Post by Guest Poster »

Some people took issue with the subject matter, which some other people took issue with, which those first people took issue with etc, etc...
Sisterhood: True Edition. Hanako epilogue I wrote. Now expanded with additional chapters.
Megumeru

Post by Megumeru »

Auratus wrote:Can anyone tells me in a nutshell that why this topic suddenly have 4-5 more pages in 2 days?
You want a complete summary or a butchered one?
They say they hate Shizune? What is this? BLASPHEMY!

SHII-HAEL!
Shizune>Rin>Emi>Hanako>Lilly
"A writer is a light that reveals the world of his story from darkness. Shapes it from nothingness. If the writer stops, the world dies with it." - Alan Wake
Yes, I write stories. Currently working on: The Haunting: A Love Story
Auratus

Post by Auratus »

Megumeru wrote:
Auratus wrote:Can anyone tells me in a nutshell that why this topic suddenly have 4-5 more pages in 2 days?
Either. Preferably "butchered". I simply want to know what they're talking/arguing about.

Personal Note, Megumeru. If your "ZA WARUDO" is the same one as I know. Have you ever see it by yourself? .By your own skill?
I want to make Thai Translation of KS alone and protesting with this signature.

Unofficially Demanding. Temporary even-more malfunctioned in English Grammar.

Introducing one of the few thread of it's kind that bring the world together. Wait, Whatever then.
Tomate

Post by Tomate »

Auratus wrote:
Megumeru wrote:
Either. Preferably "butchered". I simply want to know what they're talking/arguing about.

Personal Note, Megumeru. If your "ZA WARUDO" is the same one as I know. Have you ever see it by yourself? .By your own skill?
Allow me to summarize for you.

Shadix said that he wrote "Get Bacon" accompanied by a chibi Hanako head on a blackboard.

Things went well, some dudes found it funny, most found it boring. Some few guys had the idea to turn into a real life meme, to tag it at random places around the world. it was just a normal thread.

Then came the warrior, the gallant white knight Oddbal! And he said it was a great insult to burn victims everywhere, and the the OP should stop it!

A Group of scoundrels did not care for the views of the white knight, but the White knight insisted that this bacon thing will insult someone, and we should stop before someone cries.

The scoundrels did not care, it was "funny", and they asked the white to go away.

The White Knight told a sad story about a damsel that he saved years before, and the she COULD be offended by the bacon, it was a really sad tale, the world cried.

The Scoundrels did not care for the sad tale, but the White Knight was getting really annoying with his constant whining, so after 3 pages or so, the scoundrels and the white knight tired of arguing and retreated, the bacon issue was forgotten.
Don't just eat that hamburger, eat the HELL out of it!
Guest Poster

Post by Guest Poster »

Or...if you want a summary from the other side of the fence in a slightly less bitter tone:

- OP posted a Hanako pic with a "Get Bacon" tag and some people mentioned wanting to spread it as a meme.

- Some found it funny, some found it boring and one person in particular felt that jokes mocking burn injuries weren't funny. He reacted rather strongly, but since he knows a burn victim in real life, some people felt his reaction was somewhat justified.

- An argument took place with one side feeling the others were acting like insensitive jerks and the other side feeling the others were acting like oversensitive crybabies. Some posters sided with one side and others with the other.

- The above step took place some more.

- People started abandoning the conflict, but some people noted that in general, avoiding joking about every sensitive in existence out of fear for hurting SOMEONE out there is taking things too far, but toning things down the moment someone genuinely voices objection in an honest way is considered common decency.
Sisterhood: True Edition. Hanako epilogue I wrote. Now expanded with additional chapters.
inquisitivenegro

Post by inquisitivenegro »

All anecdotes aside, Oddball still has all the right arguments, and its kind of sad to hear some people believe that it is wrong to refrain from the possibility of offending others, rather you should exercise your right to free speech whenever and whereever.
Also I don't recall who said it, but someone said something in the line of "Where I live in Australia, discrimination is a thing of the past, and we throw our niggers and faggots around like we do with any other word" which amused me considering the recent hate attacks on Asians living there
$50 says I live more South than all of you
Shadix-CF

Post by Shadix-CF »

Okay, I've realised that this thread was just a big fucking mistake to make in the first place.
If a mod could lock it, that would be appreciated.
I don't even think I'll be able to show my face around here anymore cause now I feel like I'll be branded as "That guy who likes make fun of burn victims".
That thought doesn't feel good. Not in the slightest bit.
Apologies to those who felt offended by my actions, my true intentions were not to hurt anyone. Only just have a giggle and move on with life.
I've seen some shit.
Megumeru

Post by Megumeru »

Auratus wrote:
Megumeru wrote:

Butchered one it is, so I'll lay down dot-points.

And by 'za warudo'/The World you mean the one where time stops and I throw knives at you? Most likely :lol:

Here is how it goes:
-OP posted the idea of 'tagging' with KS characters in random places around the world
-A faction who approves of the idea forms--I mean hey, why not spread the love?
-Apparently, the tagging includes the all-too-familiar 'bacon' nickname revolving around Hanako. This causes certain controversy by some Hanabros who are opposed of the idea.
-then comes Oddball with his white-knighting and justification how it could 'potentially offend someone' followed with an out-of-placed story of knowing someone who is a burned victim
-The argument became a full-fledged conflict with one side repetitively stating 'it is a fictional character, she isn't real, it became offensive when you make it into one, there is no intention of calling others outside of this fandom, get over it' and the other screaming 'no, it is offensive to all burned victims because you guys want to call them all bacons screw you all'--this is very much prevalent.
-Both sides exhausted, the argument somehow diverge how pod-peas and what-not became offensive nicknames and shit.

Look, I understand where you white-knights are coming from and I respect that idea but get this: it is a fictional character.
I know someone who's deaf, but do I bitch about 'disrespect and offensive remarks' when all the comments about "how come she wears glasses if she's deaf" or about the nickname "deaf bitch"? No. Why? Because I know it isn't directed at someone real and instead at someone fictional--this is one side of the argument.
Hate to break it to you, but as much as you want to believe, Oddball's argument is very much misplaced in a forum revolving around a fictional story and character. I understand where it's coming from and I respect that notion, but treating others as a bunch of idiots who'd immediately think "oh, she's called 'Bacon lol" without further consent is just plain disrespectful to the general public.

I can start ranting how disrespectful the title 'Katawa Shoujo' is to begin with, but do I even bother? No. Why? Because the difference in culture and language barrier created that problem in the first place--this being a foreign VN. IF the tagging is done in a hospital, its forum, or in a nod towards someone who is alive then it is disrespectful.]
Shadix-CF wrote:Okay, I've realised that this thread was just a big fucking mistake to make in the first place.
I don't even think I'll be able to show my face around here anymore cause now I feel like I'll be branded as "That guy who likes make fun of burn victims".
Apologies to those who felt offended by my actions, my true intentions were not to hurt anyone. Only just have a giggle and move on with life.
No, really, we don't see you that way. You're fan and is supportive of the fandom, that's okay. It's just these over-sensitive white knights apparently haven't learn a thing from Hanako's arcs and claim they've understood everything--such falsehood.

This thread was harmless to begin with and may end up as the regular "what if 'X' became 'Y'" or "Let's put them in awkward or random situation"-thread, but it became a warzone because someone made it to be. Perhaps I should congratulate that someone for that, so "congratulations"

Being sensitive over a subject is good, but being over-sensitive with blindness towards your surroundings is just terrible.

*sigh* now that feels good to get that all off my chest
Last edited by Megumeru on Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SHII-HAEL!
"A writer is a light that reveals the world of his story from darkness. Shapes it from nothingness. If the writer stops, the world dies with it." - Alan Wake
Shadix-CF

Post by Shadix-CF »

Megumeru wrote: No, really, we don't see you that way. You're fan and is supportive of the fandom, that's okay. It's just these over-sensitive white knights apparently haven't learn a thing from Hanako's arcs and claim they've understood everything--such falsehood.

This thread was harmless to begin with and may end up as the regular "what if 'X' became 'Y'" or "Let's put them in awkward or random situation"-thread, but it became a warzone because someone made it to be. Perhaps I should congratulate that someone for that, so "congratulations"

Being sensitive over a subject is good, but being over-sensitive with blindness towards your surroundings is just terrible.

EDIT: I didn't realise that you revised your post my bad.
I feel like I've blown a big hole in the respect between others here honestly.
I've seen some shit.
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

Shadix, I have nothing against you.

You did something without thinking it through. We all have at some point or another.

The very fact that you seem to show genuine remorse puts you leaps and bounds above a lot of people here.
Not Dead Yet
Megumeru

Post by Megumeru »

Shadix-CF wrote:
Megumeru wrote: No, really, we don't see you that way. You're fan and is supportive of the fandom, that's okay. It's just these over-sensitive white knights apparently haven't learn a thing from Hanako's arcs and claim they've understood everything--such falsehood.

EDIT: I didn't realise that you revised your post my bad.
I feel like I've blown a big hole in the respect between others here honestly.
I literally lost myself, tbh. So words just flows out in this occasion, so it happens.

I don't normally use caps-lock, but when I do it's when I really am fucking serious and pissed.
Oddball wrote:Shadix, I have nothing against you.

You did something without thinking it through. We all have at some point or another.

The very fact that you seem to show genuine remorse puts you leaps and bounds above a lot of people here.
something without thinking it through? This entire thing is harmless in the first place and is a nod towards the fandom. Let me repeat that, FANDOM. Get your facts straight between reality and fiction before trying to pull the 'saint'-flag

Dude, with all due respect it became like this because you and your blind over-sensitivity caused this ridiculous uproar.

SHII-HAEL!
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

Meg, for all your talk about respect and not intending to hurt any real people, you sure seem to like throwing insults at those that disagree with you.
Not Dead Yet
NuclearWaffles

Post by NuclearWaffles »

Shadix-CF wrote:Okay, I've realised that this thread was just a big fucking mistake to make in the first place.
Don't worry about it bro. All this arguing is really stupid in my opinion. I seriously doubt anyone would take offense to that, especially since they would probably need to know the source material to understand it in the first place. It's a really trivial matter that some people are blowing out of proportion.