Bacon Tagging

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Tomate

Re: Bacon Tagging

Post by Tomate »

Oddball wrote:
But I'm curious. How, exactly, is anything any of us say going to magically eliminate all of the many other qualities of the game/character AND magically dumb down all life on Earth to the point that they wouldn't be able to notice these many other qualities?
Let me try something else and see if this gets through to any of you.

Here and on the Shimmie, that kind of thing isn't too bad. Frankly, I still think it's tasteless and unfunny but it's somewhat acceptable. The people who see it here and there are part of the fandom. They would get the "joke". That doesn't make it funny or less offensive, but there is some context there that makes it more tolerable. However, the opening post was talking about randomly sticking it onto things without any context and other people have expressed the urge to try and go viral with it.
On a site that you can access anywhere in the globe and that future players can access by clicking on a link in the katawa shoujo site: Safe!
On a Blackboard somewhere near Ontario or on a public bathroom in Jazz Club in São Paulo: ITS TOO DANGEROUS!

Makes sense, brah.
Don't just eat that hamburger, eat the HELL out of it!
Dream

Post by Dream »

Xanatos wrote:When it comes down to it, some will enjoy the joke (burn victim and otherwise) while others will be offended (burn victim and otherwise). Those who enjoy the joke won't give a shit if someone's offended. Those who are offended won't give a shit if they're ruining someone's fun. That's life and then we all die no matter what jokes we enjoyed. :P

It is interesting though that nobody gave much of a fuck about this long-running joke until a thread was made about it. It seems to me it's not the joke offending anyone but the attention drawn to it. So if I go call a paraplegic a filthy disgusting gimp, it's okay as long as it's not noticed by a lot of people? Rather odd mentality, all things considered...
Hmm, i admit, never has End of Evangelion felt more appropiate for a thread in here... Anyways, on the first paragraph: Thing is i don't see why it necessarily has to be that way. Understanding and compromises are the sign of a kind, mature mind and one of the foundations needed for a constructive community (either real or virtual), and it is something that requires the willingness of both sides. Hopefully people can understand what i meant by that.

Personally, i didn't give much of a fuck because i never thought much about it and because it wasn't as prevalent as it is now with this thread, and in fact i found it pretty funny too in the beggining, after people presented arguments for why they found it offensive however, i changed my mind and thought "Yeah, it is kind of distasteful". Black humor is called black humor for a reason. Even then, i don't know if the problem was exactly that this was going to be noticed by a lot of people, but when it was a few bacon jokes among the fandom it was kind of distasteful, but nothing that warranted much, if any, effort on trying to make people see why it was distasteful (and people outside the fandom will most certainly find it distasteful, not everyone is into that kind of humor). All that changed when someone not only made a thread about it, but also impulsed others to do the same thing he was, that being putting those graffitis in real-life enviroments.

EDIT: Tomate, what you're missing there is context. People who came to the KS forums are already aware of KS to some degree and hopefully had a better first experience than "bacon", on a nightclub you would likely have no idea even what a Visual Novel is, and would see a chibi drawing of a burned girl with a title that you could easily assume it's offensive (even if you can tell the person meant it as a joke).
"It is not reason, more or less furnished, but will that makes the world march"

"Unfortunately, if you can think of something really stupid, someone out there probably believes it." -Xanatos
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

Oddball wrote:Do you want Katawa Shoujo to be a more offensive and insulting version of Zero Wing, a game know for one character that's fun to make fun of?

You're still running under this weird belief that this joke will somehow turn everyone into complete idiots. People do have the basic sense to look at the source for things despite your apparent belief to the contrary. They'll see it. They'll wonder "What the fuck is that?". They'll bring up Google on their facepads and twitterphones. Someone somewhere will inform them of the context.

Some will know it only for the joke. Who cares? That doesn't harm anybody.

Far more will seek out the source (KS) and potentially becomes fans while those who enjoy the joke will be entertained. That's a gain for everyone.

The downside is some people may be offended. People get offended. It happens. They can learn to laugh at it. It's called self-depreciative humor and the world would be a lot less of a pain in the ass if people learned a bit of it. If we all constantly monitored everything said and avoided ever saying anything that might possibly offend anybody, life would just get tedious.

I'm an autistic cripple. I get offended by people prejudiced against me for my conditions. But I also laugh at cripple jokes. I can do that because one is legitimate hostility and the other is just a joke. That's called "differentiation" and it's something all people can do. Those who simply refuse to do it will just have to get over it anyway because jokes are never going to go away, regardless of any of our opinions here.

The end result is this:

You enjoy a joke? Great. Have fun.

You don't like a joke? Well, that is pretty lousy, but it's not going away just for you. Try knock-knock jokes instead.

Enjoy what you like. Ignore what you don't. There's nothing much else to be done for it. /thread

(Also, Zero Wing is known for being a slightly-below-average game with a bad translation. Not cats.)
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
<KeiichiO>: "That's a beautiful response to chocolate."
Tomate

Post by Tomate »

Dream wrote: EDIT: Tomate, what you're missing there is context. People who came to the KS forums are already aware of KS to some degree and hopefully had a better first experience than "bacon", on a nightclub you would likely have no idea even what a Visual Novel is, and would see a chibi drawing of a burned girl with a title that you could easily assume it's offensive (even if you can tell the person meant it as a joke).
Dude, look, its a chibi hanako, not a picture of hanako with with focus on the burn scars. If you see a drawing of Chibi hanako its preety dificult to notice the scars, since she keeps her hair over them.
Look: Image

If one has played the game he knows its Hanako and knows that she has scars. IF one has not played the game, one would not be offended at all, since its not easy to deduce what is hidden by the hair.
Don't just eat that hamburger, eat the HELL out of it!
Beanwell

Post by Beanwell »

Some people get offended way too easily and cannot understand the concept of light-hearted fun/jokes. Also they cannot differentiate aggression from non-aggression.
Pyramid Head

Post by Pyramid Head »

Fiandra wrote:
Pyramid Head wrote:So is the OP really ignorant enough to not get how this could be on the offensive side or are people just actively trying to come up with something stupider than "Hanabro?"
Everything is 20% cooler when bro is added in the end of the word. lol jk :mrgreen:

Oh Christ, i thought this was my one safe haven away from bronies...
The fear of blood tends to create fear for the flesh.
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

Pyramid Head wrote:
Fiandra wrote:
Pyramid Head wrote:So is the OP really ignorant enough to not get how this could be on the offensive side or are people just actively trying to come up with something stupider than "Hanabro?"
Everything is 20% cooler when bro is added in the end of the word. lol jk :mrgreen:

Oh Christ, i thought this was my one safe haven away from bronies...

You cannot escape them. They will hunt you...
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
Pyramid Head

Post by Pyramid Head »

Xanatos wrote:

Let them come! I didn't gain free will and escape James Sunderland's nightmares just to be stalked by someone with an affinity for a mediocre toy commercial!
The fear of blood tends to create fear for the flesh.
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

Pyramid Head wrote:
Xanatos wrote:

Let them come! I didn't gain free will and escape James Sunderland's nightmares just to be stalked by someone with an affinity for a mediocre toy commercial!
Now who was talking about a toy commercial?
Nekken

Post by Nekken »

Xanatos wrote:No bully in history has ever thought they were just having "friendly harmless fun". Bullying is an aggressive act by definition and aggression is never friendly, even if harmless. The very act precludes any notion of friendliness toward one's victims. That's why they're called bullies.
That's an awfully absolutist way to look at the issue, and as someone who (to my great shame) can speak from both perspectives, I can also tell you that it isn't always true. Some bullies truly don't grasp the enormity of their actions: there are monsters among them, certainly, but there are also fools, and you have to deal with them differently. What works for one type won't work for the other.
Falling in love is a volcano. Being in love is a kotatsu.
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

Nekken wrote:
Xanatos wrote:No bully in history has ever thought they were just having "friendly harmless fun". Bullying is an aggressive act by definition and aggression is never friendly, even if harmless. The very act precludes any notion of friendliness toward one's victims. That's why they're called bullies.
That's an awfully absolutist way to look at the issue, and as someone who (to my great shame) can speak from both perspectives, I can also tell you that it isn't always true. Some bullies truly don't grasp the enormity of their actions: there are monsters among them, certainly, but there are also fools, and you have to deal with them differently. What works for one type won't work for the other.
It isn't always true?

In what situation, then, are blatantly aggressive actions considered friendly?
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

It isn't always true?

In what situation, then, are blatantly aggressive actions considered friendly?
I suppose that all depends on how you define a "blatantly aggressive action."

I recently read an article on the blog of the guy that used to run marvel Comics back in the 80s. At the time they had an older Japanese guy that worked for them named Morrie. On the Anniversary of Pearl Harbor, they joked around that he used to pass out recruitment posters for the Japanese Army, that he flew 35 Kamakazi missions, and other stuff like that. Morrie joked back and it basically turned into a party. From then on, every year on the anniversary of Pearl Harbor, they'd have a Morrie's Day, where they'd joke about him being a Japanese spy or whatever and throw a big party.

Now, everybody liked Morrie and Morrie rarely had anything negative to say about anybody else, but after years of these celebrations, he just got sick of the constant teasing and blew up at them. Nobody in the office had meant the guy any harm and he tried to put up with it and joke back, but everyone has their breaking points.

i'm sure they all thought it was in good fun, but Morrie himself had a very different view on things. It's not even that he disliked the people that were making fun of him. He just wanted them to shut up about it and leave him alone.
Not Dead Yet
NuclearWaffles

Post by NuclearWaffles »

>read page 1
>read page 6
Reminds me of this
1347150250909.jpg
1347150250909.jpg (103.39 KiB) Viewed 4208 times
BlackWaltzTheThird

Post by BlackWaltzTheThird »

This topic is getting increasingly ridiculous.

I am Australian. In Australia, the general populace's attitude towards "offensive" jokes, humour, words, etc. is somewhat more relaxed than other places in the world. There is a reason that there exists an image macro depicting the Australian flag and the text, "Calls mates cunt, calls cunts mate" (thought I must say that assertion is rather exaggerated). It is not uncommon to hear words such as "nigger", "cunt", "faggot" and so on being tossed around in casual conversation. Of course, sometimes these words are used with derogatory intent, and sometimes these words are used with humourous intent. Sometimes the intent and the result differ.

For instance, I myself am rather prone to using "faggot" as an insult, with phrases such as "fuck off, faggot" or "so and so is such a faggot". Generally this is amongst my friends, but at times people I am less acquainted with are present. Now, one of my friends is a homosexual man, and we've known he was such for I think five years now. My use the word, "faggot", remains unchanged when he is present; heck, sometimes I call him a faggot too. At no point do I intend it to be a slur against his sexuality, but there are of course times when he will ask me to stop. I do so, out of consideration for him and anyone else who may also feel the same way.

I don't think I explained that anecdote properly, but my point is that people shouldn't be afraid to say certain things for fear of offending someone. That is the attitude of political correctness, and is the reason why the song, "Baa baa rainbow sheep", now exists. My belief is that any word, slag, or turn of phrase should be acceptable in any conversation, until such time that someone who is offended by them is present - at which time, said person should say as such as to inform those using the offending language of their objection. From then, any reasonable participants would do the considerate thing and stymie further use of the phrase until that person is no longer present.

In short, compromise is the way to go. Say or otherwise communicate how and what you like, and if someone objects to that, then they should say as such, wherein the thing would not used in their prescence. In this context, the Get Bacon thing is fine amongst yourselves. Personally, I don't agree with it, but can see where you may derive humour from it. Some people in this thread have asked for it to stop. As such, it should immediately. Continue to use it elsewhere if you must, but be aware that some people may object to it and if this is the case then cease doing so.

For those on the other side of the argument, it is understandable that people may or may not have a sore spot about things. This may be directly or indirectly. I'm not callous enough to say "drink a cup of concrete and harden the fuck up", but the intent behind the phrase is good advice. Get Bacon may be in bad taste, but it's meant as harmless fun. No one is running up to burns victims and saying Get Bacon, rather they are strategically placing a small tag in subtle places (I sure hope they are anyway, cause I'll look like a supreme ass if they aren't). To compare such would be akin to saying that the very existance of a gollywog doll is inherently damaging to a black person. If a person had one and went up to black people and openly made a comment about their race/colour, then we would have a problem. This is not the case.

In any case, it would be best for both sides to drop it. Such an argument is unproductive and unhealthy for both the board as a whole and for the individuals involved. It would be best if this topic was locked as soon as possible.

...Wow I wrote a lot. TL;DR for lazy douchebags: drop the issue, tag if you must but be considerate of the effect it may have on others, and be less aggressive about what is and isn't offensive because it varies from person to person.

Regards, BlackWaltz.
BlackWaltz's One-stop Oneshot Shop - my fanfiction portal topic. Contains links to all my previous works, plus starting now any new ones I may produce (or reproduce)! Please, check it out!

BlackWaltz's Pastebin - for those who prefer to read things with no formatting and stuff. It's mostly the same as in my thread. Also contains assorted other writing!
inquisitivenegro

Post by inquisitivenegro »

Yea this is getting old
Let us now move onto the subject of vandalism and its place in society in relation to the steady corruption of social and moral values in pursuit of selfish and careless pleasure ever since the poison of capitalism and materialism
$50 says I live more South than all of you