Bacon Tagging

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Megumeru

Re: Bacon Tagging

Post by Megumeru »

Xanatos wrote: And it's actually quite different from doing it to someone real because one is real and the other is a fictional character. If you go call a real burn victim 'bacon', you're an asshole. If you call Hanako 'bacon', nobody cares because it's not affecting anything
Which is what has been going on in this thread alone.

Seriously, we are giving these characters too much credit it's creepy and starting to converge on the entire 'waifu-movement'--don't even get me started on that and the 'rules' involved in it.

And I agree that bacon is nowhere near as offensive as the 'N' word and is a fan-based nickname. Besides, we all know where it came from originally...
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=usxrnYRZf_g

That one song that started it all--at least I believed it to be so.
Which is funny since it was a song done by a Lillithian
They say they hate Shizune? What is this? BLASPHEMY!

SHII-HAEL!
Shizune>Rin>Emi>Hanako>Lilly
"A writer is a light that reveals the world of his story from darkness. Shapes it from nothingness. If the writer stops, the world dies with it." - Alan Wake
Yes, I write stories. Currently working on: The Haunting: A Love Story
Guest Poster

Post by Guest Poster »

I figure I'd clarify my point a little bit.
Bacon is not at pair with nigger or cunt, its a friendly nickname (its food based after all) not a taboo word.
What nickname do you think would upset a black burn victim most? Nigger or Bacon? I'm betting on the latter though that's merely an assumption on my part and I wouldn't suggest trying it out if you ever have the opportunity.

IMHO, food-based doesn't really mean much as far as difference goes. Unless you want to argue that calling someone with severe anorexia "string bean" is okay because food-based automatically negates the inherant nastiness of the remark. And I realize you were referring to your username, but I still think the point is invalid.
And it's actually quite different from doing it to someone real because one is real and the other is a fictional character. If you go call a real burn victim 'bacon', you're an asshole. If you call Hanako 'bacon', nobody cares because it's not affecting anything
The nickname isn't really aimed at Hanako personally because it's given for one reason and one reason only...to mock her injuries. I'd argue that it's the association (burn injuries = grilled food) that's made that's slightly less than tasteful. Going back to the n-word...a similar situation would be watching TV in a room with other people and referring to a black guy on the tv-show as "nigger". Then tell the black guy who was sitting next to you that you were merely calling the character on TV a nigger and not him, so there's no reason for him to be uncomfortable.

In order to test that theory in this case though, we'd need a traumatized burn victim on the forum who could judge whether calling burn victims bacon is really innocent poking or in poor taste. I doubt that's gonna happen, so all I can do is theorize.
Sisterhood: True Edition. Hanako epilogue I wrote. Now expanded with additional chapters.
Tomate

Post by Tomate »

Myshina wrote:
Tomate wrote: Food based nicknames are the best ones.
I get a feeling you are flattering yourself here, you Brazilian Tomato~! Wahahaha~!
perish the thought, dear Lady.
Don't just eat that hamburger, eat the HELL out of it!
Myshina

Post by Myshina »

Tomate wrote:
Myshina wrote:
Tomate wrote: Food based nicknames are the best ones.
I get a feeling you are flattering yourself here, you Brazilian Tomato~! Wahahaha~!
perish the thought, dear Lady.
I am afraid that is out of question, honorable sir. Also, that Avatar is just perfect. I think I'm going to do some Wahahaha~! Tagging.
Xanatos wrote: Whips, of course. :P I don't do that submissive shit!
nemz

Post by nemz »

Guest Poster wrote:What nickname do you think would upset a black burn victim most? Nigger or Bacon? I'm betting on the latter though that's merely an assumption on my part and I wouldn't suggest trying it out if you ever have the opportunity.
At the risk of being a horrible person... 'peppered bacon'.

And yeah, I see where where Odball is coming from. Why not meme-orize something less hurtful in spirit, like "I'vegottogodosomething!"
Rin > Shizune > Emi > Hanako > Lilly
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

Guest Poster wrote:Unless you want to argue that calling someone with severe anorexia "string bean" is okay because food-based automatically negates the inherant nastiness of the remark.

I'd argue that it's the association (burn injuries = grilled food) that's made that's slightly less than tasteful.
I'd actually argue that calling an anorexic "string bean" is okay because anorexics are delusional morons who have lost grasp on reality due to their feeble minds being consumed by superficial bullshit. But then, I'm a cynic with very little patience for the stupidity of my fellow man.

Sometimes during Hanako's sex scenes, the censor comes up as grilled food. Just a fun little tidbit. And grilled food happens to be full of taste which is why people grill food. :P

All in all though, theorizing anything is rather useless here as taste is not a matter determined by theories.
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
<KeiichiO>: "That's a beautiful response to chocolate."
ravenlord

Post by ravenlord »

Tomate wrote:Bacon is not at pair with nigger or cunt, its a friendly nickname (its food based after all) not a taboo word.
To follow up on Guest Poster's remarks, the "friendliness" of a nickname is not determined by the giver, but by the receiver. So I would challange anyone who really thinks that this is a cool nickname to swing by any burn ward at your local hospital and try it out on some of the patients. If you get some big smiles and thumbs up, then I will stand corrected. If you get stuff thrown at you, and some choice curses, and perhaps the hospital staff summoning security to kick you out, then maybe your common sense will kick in.

And the whole "pretend vs real" argument is not an escape route from responsibility. The game provides pretend sex with pretend girls, but it still has real immplications, which is why it has a +18 rating. Just because it is "pretend" doesn't mean it is not real, and doesn't have consequences. Fiction and non-fiction are two sides of the same real coin.
Hanako>Shizune>Lilly>Emi>Rin {100% complete}
"痘痕も靨" (If there is love, then smallpox scars are as pretty as dimples) ~ Japanese proverb
Beanwell

Post by Beanwell »

Jesus Christ guys, just chill out.
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

ravenlord wrote:Just because it is "pretend" doesn't mean it is not real, and doesn't have consequences.
Yeah...Except that is EXACTLY what "pretend" and "fiction" mean (the fucking DEFINITION of 'fiction' is 'not real'), which is why none of us are actually attending Yamaku or in prison for life after killing waves of virtual opponents in any basic FPS title. Seriously, guy, you have GOT to start picking up a dictionary before you try to use words.

And "friendly" is a word denoting intent. The giver of a name determines the intent and therefore determines the friendliness.
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
Tomate

Post by Tomate »

Let it go, Xanatos.

Once a white knight starts a quest there's no way to sway him from his goal.
Don't just eat that hamburger, eat the HELL out of it!
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

Tomate wrote:Let it go, Xanatos.

Once a white knight starts a quest there's no way to sway him from his goal.
Oh, is he a white knight here? I just thought he was being dumb again...On a matter unrelated to that but slightly related to your signature, I have a pastrami sandwich with enchilada Doritos on it. :mrgreen: Sadly no burger... :cry:
Fiandra

Post by Fiandra »

I tried to doodle Hanako but it ends up looking like Sadako :| I'm a bad person xD
@Ygdrasel wrote:All's fair in poop and war.
-Insert favorite KS girls here-
teh twitter
teh steem
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

Fiandra wrote:I tried to doodle Hanako but it ends up looking like Sadako :| I'm a bad person xD
Just make one side out of bacon. Image
Megumeru

Post by Megumeru »

Beanwell wrote:Jesus Christ guys, just chill out.
^this^

At least the fandom doesn't use 'crispy' and picked bacon instead. Everybody loves bacon
They say they hate Shizune? What is this? BLASPHEMY!

SHII-HAEL!
Shizune>Rin>Emi>Hanako>Lilly
"A writer is a light that reveals the world of his story from darkness. Shapes it from nothingness. If the writer stops, the world dies with it." - Alan Wake
Yes, I write stories. Currently working on: The Haunting: A Love Story
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

Megumeru wrote:
Beanwell wrote:Jesus Christ guys, just chill out.
^this^

At least the fandom doesn't use 'crispy' and picked bacon instead. Everybody loves bacon
I don't see how one is any less insulting than the other.
Not Dead Yet