Games Research and Katawa Shoujo

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

GamingAcademics

Games Research and Katawa Shoujo

Post by GamingAcademics »

Hello Everyone,

I'm a games research student in not so sunny England and one of my lessons last week was to look at the culture approach to games research. We were meant to play farmville but through successful argument (i.e. pestering) I convinced my lecturer to switch it to katawa shoujo, a considerable improvement I'll think you'll agree. I really enjoyed it but mostly sadly did not, reading stuff is too much for some. the lecturer though it was a great pic and asked some interesting questions about our reactions to games. We actually discuss it in detail on my little podcast found here . I just wanted to say it was an awesome game and I hope you'll have a look at my video.
Girder

Re: Games Research and Katawa Shoujo

Post by Girder »

Awesome! I've bookmarked it for later because the internet kinda slowed down. Will be looking forward to watch it! :D
FoxtrotZero

Post by FoxtrotZero »

Girder wrote:Awesome! I've bookmarked it for later because the internet kinda slowed down. Will be looking forward to watch it! :D
Sorry, didn't realise just how much pr0n I was downloading.
[/lamejokeofopportunity]

But on a serious note, that's great to hear, and I'm sorry your classmates didn't have what it takes to enjoy a game like KS. I was recently reading a thing on how videogames are enjoyable because they meet some of our psychological needs head-on, and if that isn't a good descriptor of Katawa Shoujo, I don't know what is.
Reccomended Fanfic: Sisterhood by Guest Poster - Braving the Storm by Doomish - Akira Pseudo-Route (WIP) by Thanatos02
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

Basically anyone who starts Katawa Shoujo expecting a game will be disappointed. It doesn't have enough interactivity for people like that. It's a novel and you don't expect any gameplay from a novel that transcends page-turning either.
But... What's the point of including KS in this podcast anyway? You talk one minute about the origin of the game (mistakenly attributing it to 4chan), four minutes about the non-existant gameplay but we learn less about the story or characters than could be gleaned from the "About" section of the homepage. Did you actually read the novel, or did you just skip through to count the choice points?
Is your lecturer okay with a "review" like that, or is gameplay really the only thing you are interested in? If so, KS really was the wrong choice for a project.
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
Pyramid Head

Post by Pyramid Head »

Okay i can't ignore this. You were going to do an article on game research and your teacher suggested FARMVILLE and then you settle on something that is more of a comic you read on a computer than a video game.
I could give you a dozen titles that would make better research topics than casual gaming items like Famrville.

Ah screw it. I'll check your podcast later, and if you are interested in looking deeper into games study i suggest looking up "Extra Credits" on PennyArcade.
The fear of blood tends to create fear for the flesh.
Yellow 13

Post by Yellow 13 »

Review Silent Hill 2
When the war, has been won
And our march home begins
What awaits has not yet been revealed
What was won? what was lost?
Will our deeds be remembered?
Are they written on stone or in sand?

newnar

Post by newnar »

I'm sorry but your argument that KS sucks because all you do is click the "next" button is no different from saying French Fries suck because they taste like potato.
Dream

Post by Dream »

Yellow 13 wrote:Review Silent Hill 2
This. This is so very much what he should have done.
"It is not reason, more or less furnished, but will that makes the world march"

"Unfortunately, if you can think of something really stupid, someone out there probably believes it." -Xanatos
yummines

Post by yummines »

Should've done Monmusu Quest. At least that has a battle system.
A Forum Member

Post by A Forum Member »

Yes, let's base the games research project on something that may not even qualify as being a game.