Is there such a thing?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Heartless Wanderer

Re: Is there such a thing?

Post by Heartless Wanderer »

H_Shot_W wrote:Well, I was married at the age of twenty two, and thought I was absolutely in love.

The woman was dedicated, even though my work in the military had put a strain on our relationship. We never had kids, though we wanted to.

One day she had come to me and had apparently got sick of it all. She gave me an ultimatum. She couldn't keep "this game up" as she had so eloquently put it and so she gave me two choices: the Beret or her.

. . .

I'm still a Weapons Sergeant.

However, that isn't to say there is no such thing as true love. I myself have given up on finding it for myself, because after one failed marriage and numerous other failed relationships, it doesn's seem like the kind of thing meant for me. In the end it looks like I'm to be eternally married to my career and I have no real problem with that sort of thing. I've met people who have found it. Hell, one of my good friends has been doing the same job as me for almost as long as me, and he's been happily married to the same woman for years. Maybe, should some woman ever come to realize that I'd much rather be happy than safe, and who can appreciate that finds that then I might be tempted to put a ring on it.

Until that time, I'm just going to drink my beer, and kick my feet up.

I wish you the best, though, and may you have a wonderful experience of it.
That is a very healthy attitude to take. Kudos to you, good sir.
[Emibro], [Hanabro], [Lilly Lover], [Rin Kin], Feminist, Two-timer

In other words, [Manly Picnic]
H_Shot_W

Post by H_Shot_W »

Can't tell if sarcastic, or . . .
"Adversity is like a strong wind. It tears away from us all but the things that cannot be torn, so that we see ourselves as we really are." ~ Arthur Golden, author.

"The very greatest things - great thoughts, discoveries, inventions - have usually been nurtured in hardship, often pondered over in sorrow, and at length established with difficulty." ~ Samuel Smiles, author.
Heartless Wanderer

H_Shot_W wrote:Can't tell if sarcastic, or . . .
Not sarcastic at all. There are a lot of unhealthy ways to approach exactly what you described and what you said your stance on the matter was is just about the healthiest mindset I can think of for it.

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

Heartless Wanderer wrote:That is a very healthy attitude to take.
I'd disagree because he mentioned beer (I.E. gasoline and piss mixed and sold to people without taste buds) but that's otherwise a pretty good view on the matter.
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
<KeiichiO>: "That's a beautiful response to chocolate."
Heartless Wanderer

Xanatos wrote:
Heartless Wanderer wrote:That is a very healthy attitude to take.
I'd disagree because he mentioned beer (I.E. gasoline and piss mixed and sold to people without taste buds) but that's otherwise a pretty good view on the matter.
Well, I don't drink, so I wouldn't know. And I don't really care. People can drink whatever they want and however often as long as they don't A) kill their internal organs or B) make someone else's life difficult because of it.

Reksho

Post by Reksho »

Heartless Wanderer wrote:make someone else's life difficult because of it.
Which is exactly what's happening a lot sadly.
Heartless Wanderer

Reksho wrote:
Heartless Wanderer wrote:make someone else's life difficult because of it.
Which is exactly what's happening a lot sadly.
That is not a result of alcohol, but of people being irresponsible with it. For that I blame people, not alcohol.

Rule of thumb: whenever someone blames a thing for something stupid or evil that people do, it's usually the people that are actually at fault. Blaming the thing is just a way to avoid acknowledging that one's faith in humanity itself is grossly-misplaced.

Dream

Post by Dream »

Heartless Wanderer wrote:That is not a result of alcohol, but of people being irresponsible with it. For that I blame people, not alcohol.

Rule of thumb: whenever someone blames a thing for something stupid or evil that people do, it's usually the people that are actually at fault. Blaming the thing is just a way to avoid acknowledging that one's faith in humanity itself is grossly-misplaced.
I would say that's a pretty simplistic view of the matter, however. Ultimately, yeah it's usually the person's responsibility, but i don't think the means that enabled or helped them get to that point should just be ignored because of that person's free will.
"It is not reason, more or less furnished, but will that makes the world march"

"Unfortunately, if you can think of something really stupid, someone out there probably believes it." -Xanatos
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

Dream wrote:
Heartless Wanderer wrote:That is not a result of alcohol, but of people being irresponsible with it. For that I blame people, not alcohol.

I would say that's a pretty simplistic view of the matter, however. Ultimately, yeah it's usually the person's responsibility, but i don't think the means that enabled or helped them get to that point should just be ignored because of that person's free will.
Why shouldn't it be ignored? It isn't the problem.
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
Dream

Post by Dream »

Xanatos wrote:Why shouldn't it be ignored? It isn't the problem.
It's rarely (if ever) the root of the problem indeed, but it certainly does the contrary of helping.

"Unfortunately, if you can think of something really stupid, someone out there probably believes it." -Xanatos
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

Dream wrote:
It's rarely (if ever) the root of the problem indeed, but it certainly does the contrary of helping.
Only if it's abused, which is entirely the choice of the person.
H_Shot_W

Post by H_Shot_W »

Dream wrote:
My beer doesn't make me decide to drive (I have NEVER driven under the influence).

The pistol and black ski mask don't convince the thug to rob the gas station.

By that stand-point, "it doesn't help them", then anything could be considered bad, or in need of regulation.

Water should be regulated. Why, might you ask? Because Somalian pirates use water in their attacks on civilian vessels. And it most certainly does the exact opposite of helping stop their pirating and murder. With the way it helps with their boats staying afloat to catch up to mutch slower and cumbersome tankers and large yachts that travel those regions. So we should really look in to regulating who gets water and how they get to use it.

Sound too extreme?

I'd beg to differ. It may sound extreme, yes, but my friend there is a flood-gate waiting. When you start talking about what sort of things like alcohol and tobacco need to be regulated and how, you've started fiddling with the controls of the locking mechanism. Not to the point of restricting use of water for travel, but I feel it drives my point across. Perhaps you have had bad experiences involving alcohol, for which I apologize for whatever they might have been, but that doesn't mean it needs to be regulated. I have been shot, and stabbed, many times, but I still support pro-gun laws. My stance on many legal issues is rather simple. Rape, murder, and cases like that are relatively inflexible in how they should truly be handled in my opinion. However, as a general rule, for many problems like programs we might not like being on T.V. or certain "reading materials" that people might not approve of, I have a very simple approach that I wish could be adopted in my own nation's government.

"Would it not be possible to solve this with less restriction? Not more?"

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand, we're back on topic now!

So, I just finished Hanako's story-line completely.

I'll admit, some of the -- racier -- scenes threw me for a loop. However, with that ending?

. . . meh. Seemed more like they were just trying to make me depressed than actually feel the romantic attachment of the characters. :/
"Adversity is like a strong wind. It tears away from us all but the things that cannot be torn, so that we see ourselves as we really are." ~ Arthur Golden, author.

"The very greatest things - great thoughts, discoveries, inventions - have usually been nurtured in hardship, often pondered over in sorrow, and at length established with difficulty." ~ Samuel Smiles, author.
Dream

Post by Dream »

Xanatos wrote:
Dream wrote:It's rarely (if ever) the root of the problem indeed, but it certainly does the contrary of helping.
Only if it's abused, which is entirely the choice of the person.
Pretty much, yeah. But for example, the fact that firearms aren't avaiable to civilians in Paraguay is one of the reasons i'm still alive. Of course i don't mean to say that the avaiability of a nocive element would make all the difference in a person's downfall, but it shouldn't be regarded as if it were completely irrelevant either, which was the impression i got from Heartless's post. Just to be clear, i'm not in favor of pointless regulations, nor do i think they would even help with the problems they try to solve (Like H_Shot's pirate example) I have never tried alcohol nor any sort of drugs, so i'm kind of distanced from the matter myself.

Also, on topic: Yeah, there probably is, although it's a very fickle thing, and you might lose it one day without realizing it, either throught your own actions or an outside factor. Also:
Love isn't something you find, it is something you make
One of the greatest and most true lines i have ever read.

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

Dream wrote:But for example, the fact that firearms aren't available to civilians in Paraguay is one of the reasons i'm still alive.
Doubtful. If anyone there actually wanted you to be dead, a lack of firearms wouldn't save you. Humans are very easy to kill, gun or no gun.

And as to the topic, there's such a thing for maybe 5% of people who get really lucky. :P
Dream

Post by Dream »

Xanatos wrote:Doubtful. If anyone there actually wanted you to be dead, a lack of firearms wouldn't save you. Humans are very easy to kill, gun or no gun.

And as to the topic, there's such a thing for maybe 5% of people who get really lucky. :P
I meant suicide, but the reply was pretty funny :lol:.