Food For Thought, Long.

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

ARandomGuy

Food For Thought, Long.

Post by ARandomGuy »

My life has changed dramatically in the past nine months. My life, in general, has become something I celebrate, not something to dread. I truly believe a large reason for this, is Katawa Shoujo.

When I first read Katawa Shoujo, I was very skeptical. I had only heard about because Encyclopedia Dramatica made it the featured article. I went in with an open mind, hearing that it would truly sink into your heart. Well, after about 20-30 hours of solid reading over the week of Spring Break, I finished all the stories. After only the first one I got, which was Emi's, I had tears rolling down my face more times than any time in my life in just this one story. I told myself, "I have to read the others." and I did. The amount of tears I cried, both of joy and sadness, would rival a waterfall. This story, no, this journey changed my outlook on life, and I shared this with as many friends as would take it. The same amount of love for it came from them.

Fast forward a few months, and I find myself in the next semester of school. Single guy, with little experience with female contact outside of friends and Katawa Shoujo. I meet a girl named Lexi, and she blew me away. She was smart, beautiful, and athletic. I began chatting her up, using only the knowledge I had to try and become even a glimmer in her mind. I continued to make small talk with her for about 2-3 weeks, until I finally worked up the nerve to ask her out. To my amazement, she said yes. I was walking on air. The date went great and we continued.

What makes this story relevant, is that this girl is mostly deaf, having to rely on her knowledge of reading lips and hearing aids to understand anyone. The first day I met her, this was one of the first things I saw, and it sent me into intrigue about her. She was the only thing I thought about for quite some time.

We've been together for four months now, steady. I think it was Katawa Shoujo that helped me meet this girl. From knowing how to speak with them, to really getting past her physical flaws. I feel more love for her than I have for anyone else. I don't think this forum is visited by the makers of the story, but I still want to thank you. Thank you for giving me courage, and the ability to have what I have. Katawa SHoujo completely change my view of people, and now, I feel like I'm living that story. I may just be we were meant to be together, but I believe this story came into my life, and changed me for the best.
Megumeru

Re: Food For Thought, Long.

Post by Megumeru »

heeeellooooooo SHIZUNE FAAAAAN!!!

Well, not really :P

Still, good to hear about it :)
I'll crack open a can of yebisu and hope your relationship goes on and on. Four months is still young, after all :D
They say they hate Shizune? What is this? BLASPHEMY!

SHII-HAEL!
Shizune>Rin>Emi>Hanako>Lilly
"A writer is a light that reveals the world of his story from darkness. Shapes it from nothingness. If the writer stops, the world dies with it." - Alan Wake
Yes, I write stories. Currently working on: The Haunting: A Love Story
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

See? Shizune IS the best character. :lol: Good for you, man.
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
<KeiichiO>: "That's a beautiful response to chocolate."
Megumeru

Post by Megumeru »

Xanatos wrote:See? Shizune IS the best character. :lol: Good for you, man.
HAI FAIVE!

SHII-HAEL!
"A writer is a light that reveals the world of his story from darkness. Shapes it from nothingness. If the writer stops, the world dies with it." - Alan Wake
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

Megumeru wrote:
HAI FAIVE!
No can do. I like Lilly best. :P
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
OtakuNinja

Post by OtakuNinja »

Xanatos wrote:
Megumeru wrote:
HAI FAIVE!
HIGH FIVE! :mrgreen:
Emibro, Hanabro, [Lilly Lover], Rin Kin, Feminist, Two-timer
(Passively working on my KS YouTube series. Someday...)
Megumeru

Post by Megumeru »

Xanatos wrote:
Megumeru wrote:
HAI FAIVE!
BUUUUUUURRRRNNNNNNN

SHII-HAEL!
Boppin

Post by Boppin »

That's a really cute story. Congratulations! Good on you for having the courage to ask her out.
Emibro, Hanabro, Lilly Lover, [Rin KinImage], Feminist, Two-timer
Snow_Storm

Post by Snow_Storm »

So, you're banging a deaf girl just because of Katawa Shoujo?
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

Snow_Storm wrote:So, you're banging a deaf girl just because of Katawa Shoujo?
Well, when you put it that way...
yummines

Post by yummines »

Good for you guy. hopefully things work out for the best.

side note: why do so many people say they cried while playing Katawa Shoujo? sure the story is touching, but it isn't particularly tragic even in the bad endings and I've seen much more heartwarming moments in games or animation. It can't be that I'm an emotionless piece of shit cause Up and Grave of the Fireflies made me pretty teary eyed...
Boppin

Post by Boppin »

yummines wrote:Good for you guy. hopefully things work out for the best.

side note: why do so many people say they cried while playing Katawa Shoujo? sure the story is touching, but it isn't particularly tragic even in the bad endings and I've seen much more heartwarming moments in games or animation. It can't be that I'm an emotionless piece of shit cause Up and Grave of the Fireflies made me pretty teary eyed...
Different strokes for different folks. Rin's story made me bawl like a baby at the end, and although I love all of the other story lines, I didn't tear up like I did for Rin's. A lot of the problems she emotionally faces are things I also deal with quite often, so it was very easy to find some common ground. Then when the climax of the story hits, it just hit hard. The distance between two peoples' minds can just be so unfathomable, and to see a story that expresses it so well... well, I was touched.

I'm probably weird, but I don't read books that often because I don't have the time. When I do have free time, most of it is spent playing video games because I like to feel as though I'm working towards an objective. I love languages, I love reading different opinions and viewpoints on subjects, I love different stories... but books just scare me off. My friend lent me the first two Hunger Games novels back in March, and they're still on my desk. I feel bad about that, but at the same time, I just can't force myself to pick the things up because it honestly feels like a chore. Maybe it's just something with the physical paper being so heavy, but I just can't stand sitting down and holding heavy books for hours to read a story. I don't know. Like I said, I'm weird.

So then, we get this big in-depth story here on a computer, and it's chock full of all sorts of topics that get my mind running. It gets very easy to become attached to the characters all reacting to every day situations. I'm just starting to ramble here, but there are plenty of genres out there that make me cry that I don't think many people would expect. Then other stories that many people find tragic that just make me shrug.
Emibro, Hanabro, Lilly Lover, [Rin KinImage], Feminist, Two-timer
Nicendeth

Post by Nicendeth »

Boppin wrote:
yummines wrote:Good for you guy. hopefully things work out for the best.

Different strokes for different folks. Rin's story made me bawl like a baby at the end, and although I love all of the other story lines, I didn't tear up like I did for Rin's. A lot of the problems she emotionally faces are things I also deal with quite often, so it was very easy to find some common ground. Then when the climax of the story hits, it just hit hard. The distance between two peoples' minds can just be so unfathomable, and to see a story that expresses it so well... well, I was touched.

I'm probably weird, but I don't read books that often because I don't have the time. When I do have free time, most of it is spent playing video games because I like to feel as though I'm working towards an objective. I love languages, I love reading different opinions and viewpoints on subjects, I love different stories... but books just scare me off. My friend lent me the first two Hunger Games novels back in March, and they're still on my desk. I feel bad about that, but at the same time, I just can't force myself to pick the things up because it honestly feels like a chore. Maybe it's just something with the physical paper being so heavy, but I just can't stand sitting down and holding heavy books for hours to read a story. I don't know. Like I said, I'm weird.

So then, we get this big in-depth story here on a computer, and it's chock full of all sorts of topics that get my mind running. It gets very easy to become attached to the characters all reacting to every day situations. I'm just starting to ramble here, but there are plenty of genres out there that make me cry that I don't think many people would expect. Then other stories that many people find tragic that just make me shrug.
I'm with Boppin on this. I've probably talked about this somewhere but the subtext in all of the arcs is wonderful to me. I also remember lavishing praise on Aura for Rin's arc somewhere. I stick to that notion.

That this game helped ARandomGuy with his love life is amusing. That was kind of a result of it's intended lessons, wasn't it?

I have a friend who refuses to read books, but he's extremely well-researched when it comes to most anything. I really don't mind because it was just a habit since I was a kid though. Books aren't quite outdated yet (storing everything on a hard drive you use all the time, it's average lifespan is 5 years iirc).

And I share your pain marveling at what some people consider amazing while getting analyzed for my taste :D
Yellow 13

Post by Yellow 13 »

Xanatos wrote:
Megumeru wrote:
HAI FAIVE!

Mah nigguh
When the war, has been won
And our march home begins
What awaits has not yet been revealed
What was won? what was lost?
Will our deeds be remembered?
Are they written on stone or in sand?

Megumeru

Post by Megumeru »

Yellow 13 wrote: Mah nigguh
Tis' dangerous time...

Expect nigguh moment :lol:

SHII-HAEL!