POLL: First girl you went for

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Which route did you go for first?

Emi
142
32%
Hanako
140
31%
Lilly
65
15%
Rin
50
11%
Shizune
41
9%
Manly Picnic
8
2%
 
Total votes: 446

User avatar
SpunkySix
Posts: 2858
Joined: Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:03 pm
Location: Lost in thought... somewhere.

Re: POLL: First girl you went for

Post by SpunkySix » Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:07 am

Potato wrote:
Grimnir wrote:
Oddball wrote:.. stupid Misha. I was just trying to be nice, dammit!
Who would've thunk that "comforting" nowadays leads to this? At least in this context.
Everybody, considering the context included her literally throwing herself at Hisao.. :lol:
You know, revisiting this, I think the issue is that while Misha wants sex and that's what she means by comforting, it isn't what the player means, and it's weird that there's not a clear, "Hey, let's talk this out instead of banging because we're good friends" option, because that's obviously what most people would say. It's a choice between what looks like "Make Misha feel better" or "No fuck you" which is kind of cold. I mean, it flat out says, "Refuse" as in, "Refuse to comfort the girl who is pretty much your best friend".

Not particularly great wording there. :|
"Spunky at his Spunkyest/Spunkiest"
"Tissues to the extreme!"

User avatar
d2r
Posts: 407
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:38 am

Re: POLL: First girl you went for

Post by d2r » Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:35 am

SpunkySix wrote:You know, revisiting this, I think the issue is that while Misha wants sex and that's what she means by comforting, it isn't what the player means, and it's weird that there's not a clear, "Hey, let's talk this out instead of banging because we're good friends" option, because that's obviously what most people would say. It's a choice between what looks like "Make Misha feel better" or "No fuck you" which is kind of cold. I mean, it flat out says, "Refuse" as in, "Refuse to comfort the girl who is pretty much your best friend".

Not particularly great wording there. :|
Given the fact that she used "comfort" in a sexual context, I thought it was fairly clear that the "comfort" option was similarly sexual in content. :P
Comrade wrote:infinite options does not mean all options, just like that between every two numbers there are infinite numbers, but not all.

If I see that sentence anywhere I am going to send your head to your mother with a replacment order
If you like a moodier fanfic, why not try mine?

User avatar
Potato
Posts: 1906
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:49 pm

Re: POLL: First girl you went for

Post by Potato » Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:49 am

This is basically me VS. everyone else who played Misha's route.

Note: "Everyone else" is portrayed here by Hitler. Don't think about it too much.

Image
I love the interpretation of Pac-Man where he's a just a lowly worker retrieving golf balls left all over the course by the rich masters and the ghosts are all previous workers who got conked on the head and killed by incoming golf balls in the line of duty.

User avatar
SpunkySix
Posts: 2858
Joined: Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:03 pm
Location: Lost in thought... somewhere.

Re: POLL: First girl you went for

Post by SpunkySix » Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:42 pm

d2r wrote:
SpunkySix wrote:You know, revisiting this, I think the issue is that while Misha wants sex and that's what she means by comforting, it isn't what the player means, and it's weird that there's not a clear, "Hey, let's talk this out instead of banging because we're good friends" option, because that's obviously what most people would say. It's a choice between what looks like "Make Misha feel better" or "No fuck you" which is kind of cold. I mean, it flat out says, "Refuse" as in, "Refuse to comfort the girl who is pretty much your best friend".

Not particularly great wording there. :|
Given the fact that she used "comfort" in a sexual context, I thought it was fairly clear that the "comfort" option was similarly sexual in content. :P
That's the thing though, even if you see it like that, the only other option is a cold, impersonal, "refuse". That makes it sound like Hisao has a choice between banging pink loud or telling her to skidaddle, with nothing in between, which is a fairly blatant false dichotomy. You'd think flat out refusing to help somebody in need would also be bad end potential, and that the good end would be a choice somewhere in the middle.
"Spunky at his Spunkyest/Spunkiest"
"Tissues to the extreme!"

User avatar
Potato
Posts: 1906
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:49 pm

Re: POLL: First girl you went for

Post by Potato » Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:56 pm

SpunkySix wrote:That makes it sound like Hisao has a choice between banging pink loud or telling her to skidaddle, with nothing in between...
Exactly. Those are his options. Misha's in no frame of mind at that time to actually be receptive to real help.

And yes, refusing to help someone in need has bad potential. Refusing to fuck your gal's friend, however. has only good potential.
I love the interpretation of Pac-Man where he's a just a lowly worker retrieving golf balls left all over the course by the rich masters and the ghosts are all previous workers who got conked on the head and killed by incoming golf balls in the line of duty.

User avatar
SpunkySix
Posts: 2858
Joined: Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:03 pm
Location: Lost in thought... somewhere.

Re: POLL: First girl you went for

Post by SpunkySix » Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:58 pm

Potato wrote:
SpunkySix wrote:That makes it sound like Hisao has a choice between banging pink loud or telling her to skidaddle, with nothing in between...
Exactly. Those are his options. Misha's in no frame of mind at that time to actually be receptive to real help.
Showing support is still better than telling her to screw off though, even if she's not super perceptive to it at the time.
"Spunky at his Spunkyest/Spunkiest"
"Tissues to the extreme!"

User avatar
brythain
Posts: 3496
Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:58 pm
Location: East Asia
Contact:

Re: POLL: First girl you went for

Post by brythain » Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:59 pm

SpunkySix wrote:Showing support is still better than telling her to screw off though, even if she's not super perceptive to it at the time.
I agree. It's obvious Misha needs a lot of support. So does Shizune though. And the fan art shows it even more obviously. :D
Post-Yamaku, what happens? After The Dream is a mosaic that follows everyone to the (sometimes) bitter end.
Main Index (Complete)Shizune/Lilly/Emi/Hanako/Rin/Misha + Miki + Natsume
Secondary Arcs: Rika/Mutou/AkiraHideaki | Others (WIP): Straw—A Dream of SuzuSakura—The Kenji Saga.
"Much has been lost, and there is much left to lose." — Tim Powers, The Drawing of the Dark (1979)

User avatar
Potato
Posts: 1906
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:49 pm

Re: POLL: First girl you went for

Post by Potato » Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:10 pm

SpunkySix wrote:
Potato wrote:
SpunkySix wrote:That makes it sound like Hisao has a choice between banging pink loud or telling her to skidaddle, with nothing in between...
Exactly. Those are his options. Misha's in no frame of mind at that time to actually be receptive to real help.
Showing support is still better than telling her to screw off though, even if she's not super perceptive to it at the time.
It's a good thing none of the options presented is "Tell her to screw off" then...
I love the interpretation of Pac-Man where he's a just a lowly worker retrieving golf balls left all over the course by the rich masters and the ghosts are all previous workers who got conked on the head and killed by incoming golf balls in the line of duty.

User avatar
d2r
Posts: 407
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:38 am

Re: POLL: First girl you went for

Post by d2r » Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:13 pm

SpunkySix wrote:
Potato wrote:
SpunkySix wrote:That makes it sound like Hisao has a choice between banging pink loud or telling her to skidaddle, with nothing in between...
Exactly. Those are his options. Misha's in no frame of mind at that time to actually be receptive to real help.
Showing support is still better than telling her to screw off though, even if she's not super perceptive to it at the time.
Hisao didn't tell her to screw off. He's "refusing" to have sex with her. Not refusing to help her. We know this from the fact that he goes to talk with her on the roof the next day (though the tenor of that talk is different depending on whether or not they slept together). "Comfort" is a sexual euphemism, and it is the sexual euphemism that is being refused.

EDIT: Also, it's not like you can't just reload your save file and not sleep with her if doing that isn't what you wanted.
Last edited by d2r on Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Comrade wrote:infinite options does not mean all options, just like that between every two numbers there are infinite numbers, but not all.

If I see that sentence anywhere I am going to send your head to your mother with a replacment order
If you like a moodier fanfic, why not try mine?

User avatar
Potato
Posts: 1906
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:49 pm

Re: POLL: First girl you went for

Post by Potato » Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:32 pm

d2r wrote:"Comfort" is a sexual puneuphemism
The More You Know. :mrgreen:
I love the interpretation of Pac-Man where he's a just a lowly worker retrieving golf balls left all over the course by the rich masters and the ghosts are all previous workers who got conked on the head and killed by incoming golf balls in the line of duty.

User avatar
d2r
Posts: 407
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:38 am

Re: POLL: First girl you went for

Post by d2r » Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:49 pm

Potato wrote:
d2r wrote:"Comfort" is a sexual puneuphemism
The More You Know. :mrgreen:
Thank you. Fixed.
Comrade wrote:infinite options does not mean all options, just like that between every two numbers there are infinite numbers, but not all.

If I see that sentence anywhere I am going to send your head to your mother with a replacment order
If you like a moodier fanfic, why not try mine?

User avatar
SpunkySix
Posts: 2858
Joined: Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:03 pm
Location: Lost in thought... somewhere.

Re: POLL: First girl you went for

Post by SpunkySix » Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:18 pm

d2r wrote:Hisao didn't tell her to screw off. He's "refusing" to have sex with her. Not refusing to help her. We know this from the fact that he goes to talk with her on the roof the next day (though the tenor of that talk is different depending on whether or not they slept together). "Comfort" is a sexual euphemism, and it is the sexual euphemism that is being refused.

EDIT: Also, it's not like you can't just reload your save file and not sleep with her if doing that isn't what you wanted.
That makes sense. I guess I just sympathize with the people that took it the wrong way too much to be totally objective here.
"Spunky at his Spunkyest/Spunkiest"
"Tissues to the extreme!"

Post Reply