New characters

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Dudewithaspork

New characters

Post by Dudewithaspork »

I'm surprised a fan hasn't decided to make a mod for the game that includes more routes. Anyone else think this is a nice idea?
Nobody in Particular

Re: New characters

Post by Nobody in Particular »

I'm not surprised because that would breach the Katawa Shoujo license. Look at the FAQ.

Personally I don't think it would be a good idea. Something like that would most probably contain copious amounts of fan-service which is never a good thing. Also if it is bad it would probably tarnish some people's good opinion of the original KS. Katawa Shoujo is good the way it is, there is no need to add anything else.
NuclearWaffles

Post by NuclearWaffles »

That's never going to happen. Although, I wouldn't mind a Kenji route where the Feminist army is a real thing and the two of us wage war on them.
OtakuNinja

Post by OtakuNinja »

NuclearWaffles wrote:That's never going to happen. Although, I wouldn't mind a Kenji route where the Feminist army is a real thing and the two of us wage war on them.
Maybe as a minigame within each route? :P
Emibro, Hanabro, [Lilly Lover], Rin Kin, Feminist, Two-timer
(Passively working on my KS YouTube series. Someday...)
Megumeru

Post by Megumeru »

the VN platform isn't exactly a moddable game akin to say...Battlefield 2, Red Orchestra, etc. If any, the 'mods' we do have are here in this board. Want link? *hint*itscalledfanfiction
They say they hate Shizune? What is this? BLASPHEMY!

SHII-HAEL!
Shizune>Rin>Emi>Hanako>Lilly
"A writer is a light that reveals the world of his story from darkness. Shapes it from nothingness. If the writer stops, the world dies with it." - Alan Wake
Yes, I write stories. Currently working on: The Haunting: A Love Story
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

Megumeru wrote:the VN platform isn't exactly a moddable game akin to say...Battlefield 2, Red Orchestra, etc. If any, the 'mods' we do have are here in this board. Want link? *hint*itscalledfanfiction
Actually, modding a VN could be done...It would be a crazy amount of work and (in this case) breach the license before the actual modding ever even began though. :lol:
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
<KeiichiO>: "That's a beautiful response to chocolate."
yummines

Post by yummines »

the license clearly states that mods are illegal however

fan-fiction is fine. modifications to the game are not.
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

Xanatos wrote:
Megumeru wrote:the VN platform isn't exactly a moddable game akin to say...Battlefield 2, Red Orchestra, etc. If any, the 'mods' we do have are here in this board. Want link? *hint*itscalledfanfiction
Actually, modding a VN could be done...It would be a crazy amount of work and (in this case) breach the license before the actual modding ever even began though. :lol:
Let's see... if you're going to do wthis right, for a single new route you'd need about 100 or so images just for the new character, a handful of larger CGS, a new end of Act1 animation, new musical theme, a couple of unique backgrounds, probably at least one new supporting cast member (who needs their own sprites too), and that's before you even get to the writing their path with choices and multiple ending.

At that point you might as well just make your own unique game.

I can EASILY see why we wouldn't have any mods even IF the license allowed it.
Not Dead Yet
HarvestmanMan

Post by HarvestmanMan »

Are private (non-distributed) game edits frowned on as well?
Current Number of Fanfics Cooked: 2
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

HarvestmanMan wrote:Are private (non-distributed) game edits frowned on as well?
Anything beyond fanfiction seems to be at least discouraged.
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
<KeiichiO>: "That's a beautiful response to chocolate."
Mint

Post by Mint »

I myself will choose to ignore these boring corporate license limitations that despite concerning me - don't really interest me and state another reason why I think KS shouldn't have any sequels or expansions.

Sometimes, people find gems. Some people get so caught up in replicating, or even enhancing the qualities of that gem, that they fail to appreciate its natural beauty. KS is a wonderful piece of art. It's good as it is. Its authenticity is what makes it so amazing.

Do you think if someone repainted Picasso's art, it would look the same? Artistic vision can't be copypasted.

IMO Katawa Shoujo is good as it is. Any additions or alterations would just ruin it.
Tomate

Post by Tomate »

Mint wrote:I myself will choose to ignore these boring corporate license limitations that despite concerning me - don't really interest me and state another reason why I think KS shouldn't have any sequels or expansions.

Sometimes, people find gems. Some people get so caught up in replicating, or even enhancing the qualities of that gem, that they fail to appreciate its natural beauty. KS is a wonderful piece of art. It's good as it is. Its authenticity is what makes it so amazing.

Do you think if someone repainted Picasso's art, it would look the same? Artistic vision can't be copypasted.

IMO Katawa Shoujo is good as it is. Any additions or alterations would just ruin it.
Spoken like an activision lawyer, Sir.

Mods aren't going to to ruin a game, they will enhance it, you see, the modders will not change the game, they will make their own version of it, like a remix.
Classic example: I think that Glee version of Don't Stop Believing is atrocious, yet i can still hear the original journey version and rock to it, Glee inferior version did not ruin the original. Oblivion has a fuckton of rape mods, yet i still can play it and save Tamriel from the jaws of oblivion without raping the emperor and the daedras and most of the Bruma guard..

I know, its absurd to argue about Modding a Visual Novel, come on guys, its text with images, there is no gameplay to be moded, besides, the Devs are against it, but this "Modding makes good games go bad" is just silly.
Don't just eat that hamburger, eat the HELL out of it!
Mint

Post by Mint »

You didn't bother to read what I posted, did you?
Tomate

Post by Tomate »

Actually, i did.
Don't just eat that hamburger, eat the HELL out of it!
Mint

Post by Mint »

You sure could have fooled me, because I don't see how anything you said remotely pertains to my comment.

I never said sequels or expansions ruin games. Nor did I mention previous examples on that fact. Didn't even hint it.
I just said I think a sequel to Katawa Shoujo in particular would depreciate its artistic value.
And you got really super defensive.

Now let's not fill this thread with senseless drivel.
You can't jump at everyone who doesn't like what you like.