KS2Android [WORKING Android "port"]

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

mike23

KS2Android [WORKING Android "port"]

Post by mike23 »

Let's dig this out again, shall we?

Some background story first.
I have finished only Emi's route about a year ago. Didn't touch KS until now.
I feel like a waste of time to play it at home (no offence), I'd rather be playing it on the go, while I'm waiting.

Sadly, there was no way to run it on my smartphone. I searched the internet. There were attempts, discussions, but nothing concrete.
Until I saw this topic: http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=6968
Magzh actually made some visible progress. I give him credit for the motivation and for pointing me in the right direction.

It took a day of fiddling to make the first (almost)fully working android version of KS. I was happy.
However, I wanted to share it. Creative Commons license doesn't allow that. So it took another day to make a script that would automate the process of porting. This way I'm not distributing ANY of the game's content - in theory, not breaching the license.
There are also mentions of the right to make technical modifications necessary to distribute the content through other media. Although I'm not sure if that applies here.

I said (almost)fully working. Here's what that means.
What works:
- The text and the script (I hope; I didn't test everything)
- Backgrounds and characters
- Particles (e.g. snow)
- Sound effects
- Music

What doesn't:
- Videos between acts
- Some scene transitions (the first blackout, eyes opening and closing, "bubble" transitions when starting the game and opening the menu)

So here it is, everything you need to run Katawa Shoujo on your android smartphone (implying it is powerful enough)
In the zip file are two files. "KS2Android.py" and "readme.txt"
You will also need Python and JDK. Readme explains how to get that.

Read the readme.txt thoroughly. It explains the process in lots of detail.

If you get stuck or something doesn't work - ask. The script isn't perfect and it might fail in some cases.

To 9 people who've seen this thread 7 hours ago. I accidentally posted a wrong version of the script but I was too tired to fix it so I just deleted the thread.

Edit: The attachment was removed by a moderator.

Edit2: For any future readers interested in this (as this seems to be on top of google search for "katawa shoujo android port"),
check the Pastebin of the Katawa Shoujo General thread on 4chan's video game generals.
You'll find what you are looking for there.
Last edited by mike23 on Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:15 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Xanatos

Re: KS2Android [WORKING Android "port"]

Post by Xanatos »

I don't think latching onto some BS automated loophole makes it any less of a breach...
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
<KeiichiO>: "That's a beautiful response to chocolate."
Silentcook
Carelessly Cooking You

Post by Silentcook »

Q: I want to port KS to a different platform, what do you think about it?
A: The answer is no. Don't bother asking. Additionally, don't talk about it here.
I'd say it's cute how people refuse to acknowledge what doesn't suit their wants, except it's not. It's bloody annoying.

Also no, saying "oh no I didn't create a port because I only provided the tools and means for anyone to do so" is only fooling yourself. Welcome to the "derivative works" section of the license. Thanks for not giving a fuck, I hope you're proud of yourself. magzh at least had the grace to stop and ask for permission - which obviously we didn't give.
Shattering your dreams since '94. I also fought COVID in '20 and '21, and all I got was this lousy forum sig.

mike23

Post by mike23 »

I've read the FAQ.

It would be even cuter if somebody gave me a valid reason why a port shouldn't be made.
OtakuNinja

Post by OtakuNinja »

mike23 wrote:I've read the FAQ.

It would be even cuter if somebody gave me a valid reason why a port shouldn't be made.
Because 4LS doesn't want a port to be made.
Emibro, Hanabro, [Lilly Lover], Rin Kin, Feminist, Two-timer
(Passively working on my KS YouTube series. Someday...)
mike23

Post by mike23 »

OtakuNinja wrote:

I expected this. The question is: what is their internal reason?
OtakuNinja

Post by OtakuNinja »

They don't need a reason.
Emibro, Hanabro, [Lilly Lover], Rin Kin, Feminist, Two-timer
(Passively working on my KS YouTube series. Someday...)
mike23

Post by mike23 »

Humans don't act without a reason.
mike23

Post by mike23 »

Silentcook wrote:Welcome to the "derivative works" section of the license.
If I didn't skip anything, the licence forbids the distribution of derivative works. There are no mentions of modifications being forbidden.

Edit: Modifications that a person makes only for themselves. Just to be more clear.
Reksho

Post by Reksho »

You are playing with words. The ''modification'' you are making is even named ''Katawa Shoujo''. I'd say that alone is quite a derivative of the original.

However, I say this not to discourage you, as I would love to see an Android version of Katawa Shoujo. But please be warned about the implications of your work.
mike23

Post by mike23 »

If you consider it a derivate, I'm not distributing it.
You can also consider it as a technical modification, as I said in my first post.

And yes, I am playing with words and it's a terrible way to get around the license.
Reksho

Post by Reksho »

mike23 wrote:You can also consider it as a technical modification, as I said in my first post.
I'm not sure if that's enough of a reason to justify your work. You could try asking a developer for confirmation about this.
Honestly, playing visual novels on my phone has been a blast for me. Would love to see this game playable on Android.
Nekken

Post by Nekken »

mike23 wrote:
OtakuNinja wrote:

I expected this. The question is: what is their internal reason?
It doesn't matter. You are not entitled to play KH on your smartphone, and if the devs decide not to allow it, that is their right.

That said, to give credit where credit is due, what you've done here is not without precedent. The LAME project (which at the time stood for "LAME Ain't an MP3 Encoder") started as a series of patches to the Fraunhofer MP3 encoder, which, not unlike KS itself, wasn't open-source even though the source was available. If such a thing were to stand up in court -it never really got tested- it would make you merely an entitled jerk instead of a license-breaker.
Falling in love is a volcano. Being in love is a kotatsu.
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

mike23 wrote:It would be even cuter if somebody gave me a valid reason why a port shouldn't be made.

And yes, I am playing with words and it's a terrible way to get around the license.
Wow. You might be the biggest asshole to ever post on this forum. You want a valid reason? The fucking creators said so.

We're agreed then. You're a terrible human being.
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
<KeiichiO>: "That's a beautiful response to chocolate."
mike23

Post by mike23 »

Xanatos wrote:The fucking creators said so.
"Because we say so" is not a valid reason.

Here are a couple of valid reasons:
- Because we would lose money.
- Because we would get bad reputation.
- Because we would lose customers.

Neither of those can apply to 4LS.
Xanatos wrote:We're agreed then. You're a terrible human being.
I'm sure "mike23" won't mind being called a "terrible human being".