KS2Android [WORKING Android "port"]

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

yummines

Re: KS2Android [WORKING Android "port"]

Post by yummines »

"Because we said so" is a perfectly valid reason. They are the copyright holders, and can choose how its played.

Nowhere does it say they have to explain it. It's not allowed so don't bother trying is what the FAQ basically says
mike23

Post by mike23 »

yummines wrote:Nowhere does it say they have to explain it.
I would really like them to though.
yummines wrote:It's not allowed so don't bother trying is what the FAQ basically says
My "bothers" have produced a rather nice time-waster for me. I don't see why others shouldn't benefit from it. There is obvious interest.
acewing905

Post by acewing905 »

Personally, I too feel that it's irrational for 4LS to be so against this. But we must understand that it's their work, and thus, what they say, goes. Sure, you spent time on this, but they spent way more time on it. I think it's fair enough that they're entitled to their decision, even if it is irrational. They don't have to explain anything to anyone.
Kutagh

Post by Kutagh »

You might be demanding a reason, 4LS is not legally obliged to give a reason. As they're the legitimate copyright holders and you're breaking the license they decided to offer their product for, 4LS is in essence saying you're not allowed to distribute this. The validity of their demand legally does not depend on any reasoning.

And if you really want a reason: Suppose they allowed this and a thousand users download it but it contains malware or in some other way compromises either their PC or Android device. Who do you think is going to receive the most complaints first? 4LS or the guy who wrote this port (or porting script)? 4LS obviously. By not prohibiting any ports they're tolerating it and in some way people could see it as if 4LS is supporting it, which for 4LS is not an attractive situation. Therefore 4LS avoids all the possible hassle by just plainly prohibiting any ports.
delta
Feels Badman

Post by delta »

1. This does not violate KS' license. It's a distribution license, it doesn't even apply here.
2. I don't like it because it creates a clearly inferior product, and I don't really like people dicking around with it either, but eh, whatcha gonna do. Everyone is free to ruin their experience. Anyone who ever complains about any technical problems with this within earshot of me will get swift kick in the nuts though.
3. This thread is frankly quite embarrassing so I'm closing it.
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

Unlocked this, because it seems this is a topic that people are confused about/in disagreement with and discussion might alleviate that, although looking at the thread so far doesn't exactly get my hopes up. To restate why we don't like porting: it's extremely hard to impossible to port KS to Android in a way that would satisfy our quality requirements (and this attempt doesn't come anywhere close to it). If it was easy, we'd have done it ourselves. I'm also not keen on doing QA work on someone else's port in order to give something an official seal of approval. Further, we have zero inclination to bear with support requests for work that's not ours (and this will happen, whether the OP wants it or not).
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
<Suriko> I would do it if it wouldn't be so hard to explain to my parents
magzh

Post by magzh »

ok, then tell us what is your quality expectations? it would help a lot.
mike23

Post by mike23 »

To restate why we don't like porting: it's extremely hard to impossible to port KS to Android in a way that would satisfy our quality requirements
Finally a voice of reason.

Android port of Ren'Py will support the currently not working transitions in future versions (as stated by the author)
Support for movies will probably come too.

Once that is done it's only the UI that needs to be redesigned (although it's usable as it is now). The only problem I can imagine is multiple resolutions.
Stretching the image to fill the entire screen seems like a reasonable enough option to me. It is what fullscreen does on a computer after all.
Further, we have zero inclination to bear with support requests for work that's not ours (and this will happen, whether the OP wants it or not).
You can trade bearing with questions asking for a port for questions asking for support.
gRaViJa

Post by gRaViJa »

mike23 wrote:The fucking creators said so.
"Because we say so" is not a valid reason.
Since they have all the rights to Katawa Shoujo, it is the most valid reason possible.

Now, they also stated before that one (!) of the reasons to prohibit ports is to protect the product and good name of KS. If everyone was able to port, change and distribute the game, it would take no more than days to find half-assed translations, virus infested software and amateurish spin-offs.
Emi's Couch to 5k
Completed!
6k personal record: 29m07
5k personal record: 27m48
1 mile personal record: 6m59

100 push-up challenge
Week 7: 25/25/25/25
mike23

Post by mike23 »

gRaViJa wrote:
mike23 wrote:The fucking creators said so.
"Because we say so" is not a valid reason.
First of all, I did not say "The fucking creators said so."
Quotes within quotes are a feature on this forum.
gRaViJa wrote:Since they have all the rights to Katawa Shoujo, it is the most valid reason possible.
What Aura said above is a much more valid reason. An acceptable one.
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

mike23 wrote:What Aura said above is a much more valid reason. An acceptable one.
They're all equally valid, actually. Go look up the word "valid". You not liking a reason doesn't invalidate it.

And you know just stretching the images to multiple resolutions would damage the quality of said images...
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
<KeiichiO>: "That's a beautiful response to chocolate."
misterprinny

Post by misterprinny »

You know, now that the devs responded we don't have to keep hacking at the guy. Come on. We know better than that.
Head Editor at Stewart-Class 7 Studios, an OELVN studio similar to 4LS. Please check out our blog and website and our forums.
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

misterprinny wrote:You know, now that the devs responded we don't have to keep hacking at the guy. Come on. We know better than that.
Who's hacking? I'm teaching.
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
<KeiichiO>: "That's a beautiful response to chocolate."
NuclearWaffles

Post by NuclearWaffles »

While I think an Android port of KS would be cool, I can understand the qualms the developers would have about it. As stated before, the quality of the port wouldn't compare to the original since Ren'py for Android doesn't work with some parts of KS right now, and inevitably there would be people going to 4LS for support on a port they had nothing to do with.

Hopefully, if Ren'py is updated so that it fully supports KS, then 4LS will allow it. They might end up with a few idiots asking them why it doesn't work right, but they'll eliminate all the questions about why a port isn't allowed.

Just my thoughts on this. Either way it goes, I'd like to thank 4LS for the awesome VN, as well as OP for the work on the Android port.
misterprinny

Post by misterprinny »

Xanatos wrote:
misterprinny wrote:You know, now that the devs responded we don't have to keep hacking at the guy. Come on. We know better than that.
Who's hacking? I'm teaching.
Well...have fun. I stopped arguing on the Internet because all it gives you is stress. Stubborn people will be stubborn.
Head Editor at Stewart-Class 7 Studios, an OELVN studio similar to 4LS. Please check out our blog and website and our forums.