KS2Android [WORKING Android "port"]

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters
User avatar
KeiichiO
Posts: 1757
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:07 pm
Location: Lost in the wonky province of my mind.

Re: KS2Android [WORKING Android "port"]

Post by KeiichiO » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:33 am

Xanatos wrote:It's called "technology". Scary, innit? :wink:
Technology is scary. Especially Uncanny Valley. *Shivers*

User avatar
Xanatos
Posts: 5365
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:40 pm

Re: KS2Android [WORKING Android "port"]

Post by Xanatos » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:34 am

Carighan wrote:I have in my pocket a device I can use to access the entirety of human knowledge. I usually use it to look at cute pictures of kittens and get into an argument with someone I don't actually know.

:P
I use it to listen to singing robots and Sir Ian McKellen talk about becoming a prince.
Last edited by Xanatos on Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
<KeiichiO>: "That's a beautiful response to chocolate."

User avatar
KeiichiO
Posts: 1757
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:07 pm
Location: Lost in the wonky province of my mind.

Re: KS2Android [WORKING Android "port"]

Post by KeiichiO » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:36 am

Xanatos wrote:
Carighan wrote:I have in my pocket a device I can use to access the entirety of human knowledge. I usually use it to look at cute pictures of kittens and get into an argument with someone I don't actually know.

:P
I use it to listen to singing robots and Sir Ian McKellen talk about becoming a prince.
>Obligatory Steam Powered Giraffe post.

User avatar
rockin robin
Posts: 203
Joined: Sat May 18, 2013 7:26 pm

Re: KS2Android [WORKING Android "port"]

Post by rockin robin » Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:22 am

If I wanted someone to blow smoke up my ads I'd ask my boyfriend.

I've never heard of team viewer before, that was the reaction.
I kenji's worst nightmare! A FEMINIST!!
have a tracheo-osoephagul puncture.
three years with simmr001 10/06/13

User avatar
KeiichiO
Posts: 1757
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:07 pm
Location: Lost in the wonky province of my mind.

Re: KS2Android [WORKING Android "port"]

Post by KeiichiO » Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:34 am

rockin robin wrote:If I wanted someone to blow smoke up my ads I'd ask my boyfriend.
I don't get it...

User avatar
rockin robin
Posts: 203
Joined: Sat May 18, 2013 7:26 pm

Re: KS2Android [WORKING Android "port"]

Post by rockin robin » Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:39 am

KeiichiO wrote:
rockin robin wrote:If I wanted someone to blow smoke up my ads I'd ask my boyfriend.
I don't get it...

...neither do I. Fucking kindle changed the wording. :P

It was meant to be a sarcastic retort but is a word salad sentence now.
I kenji's worst nightmare! A FEMINIST!!
have a tracheo-osoephagul puncture.
three years with simmr001 10/06/13

User avatar
KeiichiO
Posts: 1757
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:07 pm
Location: Lost in the wonky province of my mind.

Re: KS2Android [WORKING Android "port"]

Post by KeiichiO » Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:41 am

rockin robin wrote:
KeiichiO wrote:
rockin robin wrote:If I wanted someone to blow smoke up my ads I'd ask my boyfriend.
I don't get it...

...neither do I. Fucking kindle changed the wording. :P

It was meant to be a sarcastic retort but is a word salad sentence now.
I'd imagine a word salad wouldn't taste too good.

User avatar
rockin robin
Posts: 203
Joined: Sat May 18, 2013 7:26 pm

Re: KS2Android [WORKING Android "port"]

Post by rockin robin » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:36 am

KeiichiO wrote:[quote="rockin robin

...neither do I. Fucking kindle changed the wording. :P

It was meant to be a sarcastic retort but is a word salad sentence now.
I'd imagine a word salad wouldn't taste too good.[/quote]

I'll ask simmr one of his conditions is pica
I kenji's worst nightmare! A FEMINIST!!
have a tracheo-osoephagul puncture.
three years with simmr001 10/06/13

Spunktroap
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:32 pm

Re: KS2Android [WORKING Android "port"]

Post by Spunktroap » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:25 am

Xbox homebrew is also illegal, as almost every port was built using official Microsoft's SDK, given only to licensed game studios - of course most of the hombrew makers aquired it illegaly, and every binary built that way is also illegal.
But screw that, thanks to it xbox is an awesome console for emulating old systems. Also XBMC project would never start, and now it's the most popular open-source media center. Yeah, there are plenty of such examples of good hacks which were not officialy supported and even illegal, but one could make use of it for it's own sake.
Oh yes. Regarding KS - yeah, every KS modification is illegal, but do you think 4LS would sue anyone? I don't think so, even Microsoft couldn't do anything about hackers, beside denying warranty service. KS ports are just unofficial. I don't see a problem if anyone would distribute it on his own FTP and maybe some disclaimer that it's not approved by 4LS (but more for user aknowledgment, than any legas reasons). I can even make some debian packages of KS dependant on renpy from debian repo to prove my words.
Also, installing scripts are perfectly fine, as long as they don't provide any original KS data

Ritter Delorges
Posts: 59
Joined: Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:51 pm
Location: Germany

Re: KS2Android [WORKING Android "port"]

Post by Ritter Delorges » Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:06 pm

What exactly is your point? You acknowledge that it is illegal and you know that it is against the wishes of the copyright holders. If you are trying to convince someone, then telling them how little you care about their rights and their wishes is rarely a good idea. If you just want to let people know that you are willing and able to violate a software license, then please excuse my relative lack of surprise. If you hope for a groundswell of support from others, then I am not sure I would hold my breath.

User avatar
ShadeHaven
Posts: 564
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:10 am

Re: KS2Android [WORKING Android "port"]

Post by ShadeHaven » Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:42 pm

Inb4lock

Image

User avatar
wazuzu
Posts: 363
Joined: Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:20 am

Re: KS2Android [WORKING Android "port"]

Post by wazuzu » Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:18 am

Inb4 no.

Though my post with links pointing to something called "VNDS interpreter" and "things that resemble visual novels adapted to be read with said "VNDS interpreter"" was removed within hours. This persists for almost 2 years.

User avatar
Atario
Posts: 1358
Joined: Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:06 am
Location: San Francisco Bay Area

Re: KS2Android [WORKING Android "port"]

Post by Atario » Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:54 am

The fact that Delta pointed out like a million messages ago that this sort of work does not violate the license doesn't seem to stop a million messages being posted leaping to the devs' unneeded defense. That's kinda funny.

To those saying making something that screws with the game's files also constitutes a "derivative work": that's ludicrous. If that were true, the existence of 7zip would be a violation, since it can zip the game folder, resulting in a derivative zip file; as would any hex editor, since hex editors can make arbitrary changes to any file, also resulting in an arbitrary (indeed, given patience, every possible) derivative work.

Cries of "because they said so and you're a dick if you even think of doing anything they don't like" are stupid and childish. Let's say for the sake of argument that they like us to, for example, play the game ourselves and draw our own conclusions. Would that make us dicks for talking about it with each other on online fora, thus influencing one another's perceptions of the game and violating that wish? C'mon. The devs are great, but they're not your gods.

Finally, I can fully see why they don't want nor like the idea of a phone port even if it were to work perfectly; it's really going to ruin the immersion for you to be standing on a train platform, reading your heroine's tender confession of love to you in-between blaring PA announcements and the wet, hacking coughs of that guy a few feet to your left. But as Delta said, they can't stop you from ruining it for yourself if you're determined enough.
NB: none of the above is a request

Mutou Gets Fired — a little one-shot fanfic I wrote

Spunktroap
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:32 pm

Re: KS2Android [WORKING Android "port"]

Post by Spunktroap » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:09 am

Atario wrote:Cries of "because they said so and you're a dick if you even think of doing anything they don't like" are stupid and childish. Let's say for the sake of argument that they like us to, for example, play the game ourselves and draw our own conclusions. Would that make us dicks for talking about it with each other on online fora, thus influencing one another's perceptions of the game and violating that wish? C'mon. The devs are great, but they're not your gods.
You're the last sane man in an insane world Image
Atario wrote:Finally, I can fully see why they don't want nor like the idea of a phone port even if it were to work perfectly; it's really going to ruin the immersion for you to be standing on a train platform, reading your heroine's tender confession of love to you in-between blaring PA announcements and the wet, hacking coughs of that guy a few feet to your left. But as Delta said, they can't stop you from ruining it for yourself if you're determined enough.
Actually, you can get the same immersion playing on a notebook, or just reading any romantic story.
There is that thing, named "focus" which makes that coughing guy transparent to you

User avatar
Aura
>has heterochromia
Posts: 3286
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:21 am

Re: KS2Android [WORKING Android "port"]

Post by Aura » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:57 am

Atario wrote:Finally, I can fully see why they don't want nor like the idea of a phone port even if it were to work perfectly; it's really going to ruin the immersion for you to be standing on a train platform, reading your heroine's tender confession of love to you in-between blaring PA announcements and the wet, hacking coughs of that guy a few feet to your left. But as Delta said, they can't stop you from ruining it for yourself if you're determined enough.
You're totally wrong about this. If a mobile port that filled our requirements was possible to make without unreasonable effort, we'd likely have made it ourselves ages ago. If it comes to pass that Ren'py is developed to the point where we can pull off a satisfactory port, we'll consider doing it. But yeah, why would we want to dictate where people play KS? That'd be snobby, insane and impossible. We only wish that people do not make a decidedly subpar port that would be an inferior (and as the current most-feasible port options go, incomplete) experience to the readers who'd opt to read the port instead of the actual version. We've thought about our stance in length and very carefully, don't mistake our very curt, kinda stonewalling replies for lack of understanding the porting issues. This thread hasn't been locked (again) exactly because we aren't against discussion on the topic as long as it's somehow sane (which this thread really is not and was locked for in the first place)

As for this:
Cries of "because they said so and you're a dick if you even think of doing anything they don't like" are stupid and childish. Let's say for the sake of argument that they like us to, for example, play the game ourselves and draw our own conclusions. Would that make us dicks for talking about it with each other on online fora, thus influencing one another's perceptions of the game and violating that wish? C'mon. The devs are great, but they're not your gods.
Your "counterargument" is a strawman of the worst kind and unrelated to the argument. We wouldn't have any rights to ask people something like that. You're still a dick if you breach a very reasonable license of a visual novel that was released in good faith and for free.
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
<Suriko> I would do it if it wouldn't be so hard to explain to my parents

Locked