How Rin helped me release a novel.

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Enceladeans

How Rin helped me release a novel.

Post by Enceladeans »

Hey guys. I guess we all have our story about how KS changed our lives, so I suppose I should share mine.

I've wanted to be a writer ever since I was a little kid. I had an abusive childhood, and because of that I've grappled with self-esteem issues all my life. For the longest time, I've felt like writing was the only thing I could ever hope to be good at. I thought it was my key to get people to care about me, to be proud about something I've done. It's a daunting task, though, especially since I have communication problems. Sometimes I worry if it's wise to have a dream that revolves around words when most of the time it's so hard for me to use them. I had written a book and a few short stories, but it was always hard getting people to care about them. Even when I got my first novel published people didn't really care. Having something you poured so much work into is a ridiculously painful experience. I worked on a second novel, but as I wrote it I began to despair. A part of me thought I'd never be appreciated as a writer, and for a long time I wondered if it was worth trying to release the book at all.

Then I discovered Katawa Shoujo. Now, I loved all the routes, but Rin's was the one that really hit me. The way she worked so hard on her art in an effort to be understood, her communication issues, the whole idea of doing things you can't do just because you can...I felt like I was Rin. When she talked about how she felt like she needed to change, or that she just wanted another person to understand her, I knew exactly what she meant. When I got that good ending, and Rin finally learned how to accept herself, I turned into goddamn Niagara Falls. But at the same time, it inspired me. If Rin could overcome all the darkness that surrounded her, if a girl with no arms can paint, then what's stopping me from working on my writing?

KS has been inspirational on a more meta level too. Really, just the fact that it and its fanbase exists is something of a miracle. If a bunch of anons could gather together and not only create something as beautiful as this, but get the praise they deserve for it, maybe there's hope for me after all.

Since discovering KS, I've been revising my novel every day, making sure that it was the best book it could be, and now, I'm proud to say that I got it published. Maybe self-publishing isn't the most glamorous release, but I'm OK with that. The book is out, and I honestly don't think I could've done it without the right motivational push.

Thank you, Rin, and thank you, 4LS.
Last edited by Enceladeans on Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
ravenlord

Re: How Rin helped me release a novel.

Post by ravenlord »

That's fantastic! Congratulations :)
Hanako>Shizune>Lilly>Emi>Rin {100% complete}
"痘痕も靨" (If there is love, then smallpox scars are as pretty as dimples) ~ Japanese proverb
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

It sounds interesting...
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
<KeiichiO>: "That's a beautiful response to chocolate."
Loonie

Post by Loonie »

Self-publishing is still a lot better than what most aspiring authors achieve in the end (namely no published work at all).

Congratulations and quite agreed. Rin does have that kind of effect.
Axelownz

Post by Axelownz »

Congrats man, thats really awesome. I wish i could find something to push me into finishing the stories i want to write, thing is i don't want to be an author too much though, i would rather create the story i have, and collaborate with my artist friends eventually to make a comic or animation.

But still, its pretty cool KS helped you out.
eleventhirtyeight

Post by eleventhirtyeight »

Congrats! KS has pushed me as well to work on my writing, and now I know for a fact that, for a living, I want to write for games. Also, self-publishing is better than no publishing! :D I'm really happy for you!
Sunlight will shine on my life again, so let the past burn now down in flames.

Alas, earwax!

[insert witty or interesting something here]
Fzero100

Post by Fzero100 »

Congrats man! It's so awesome to see people achieving their goals because of KS. Keep working hard and good luck for your future ^.^
gRaViJa

Post by gRaViJa »

Awesome work and congrats! If I had a Kindle, i'd buy a copy (:
Emi's Couch to 5k
Completed!
6k personal record: 29m07
5k personal record: 27m48
1 mile personal record: 6m59

100 push-up challenge
Week 7: 25/25/25/25
Enceladeans

Post by Enceladeans »

gRaViJa wrote:Awesome work and congrats! If I had a Kindle, i'd buy a copy (:
So you know, the Kindle Cloud Reader (which is free) will let you read Kindle books in your browser.

And thanks so much for the congratulations, guys. It's amazing how supportive KS' fanbase is. You guys are the greatest. :)
sidvanhalen

Post by sidvanhalen »

Congrats. Its nice to see a fellow aspiring writer accomplishing their dreams. I'll read your work.

I would like to get down to writing someday too, so you are a good example for me as well.

All the best bro :)