Anyone else think Rin has Asperger's Syndrome?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

jumjummju

Anyone else think Rin has Asperger's Syndrome?

Post by jumjummju »

I think she does. And very severely, at that.

I know what constitutes Asperger's Syndrome - I do, after all, have a milder case of it - and it's quite obvious Rin's an aspie. I'll tell you why. Firstly, there's the severe lack of knowledge of social rules, which is abundant in her case, due to her extremely blunt and deadpan sarcasm, and her rather astounding claims. (NO PHYSICAL PROBLEMS. OBVIOUSLY YOUR JUNK IS MESSED UP. *pokerface* ) Also, there's the fact that she seems to think on entirely different wavelength than other people. Actually, scratch that. She thinks on an entirely different spectrum than other people. Secondly, a common aspect of Asperger's is that they tend to find one interest and be dead-set on pursing this interest, and in Rin's case, this is obviously art. Also, people with Asperger's tend to think of things more logically than emotionally, which explains Rin's nigh-constant poker face.

Personally, I found Rin to be my favorite character perhaps because of this. 4LS did a tremendous job making realistic characters, and Rin is no exception. And that they would put someone like her in a game like this just makes them that much more awesome. Though, I am curious on two things. Firstly, I wonder if she was intentionally modeled after an aspie.

My other curiosity is why can no one else seemingly understand her? I understood her easily, in nearly every conversation, and found her quite enlightening and logical. Heh, maybe it's some kind of aspie psychic-connection or something I have going on with her. :P

Either that, or Hisao's a darn idiot with social skills that make me look good. And I also have Asperger's. >_<

Anyone else agree or disagree with me? Want to provide further proof or counterexamples? Be my guest, discussion is encouraged.
sporkaganza

Re: Anyone else think Rin has Asperger's Syndrome?

Post by sporkaganza »

I feel like diagnosing fictional characters like this is a pretty pointless exercise.

It certainly isn't implausible at all. But to me, Rin is just Rin.
jumjummju

Post by jumjummju »

sporkaganza wrote:I feel like diagnosing fictional characters like this is a pretty pointless exercise.

It certainly isn't implausible at all. But to me, Rin is just Rin.
Pointless, but fun. Also, my only other activity I can do is rage at terrible videogames or make an idiot of myself trying to talk to someone, which happens every time I try.
sporkaganza

Post by sporkaganza »

Hey if you can relate to Rin by thinking of her that way, more power to you.
yummines

Post by yummines »

i hardly think having social anxiety equates to having a mental disorder

i can relate to Rin a lot, and i have never been diagnosed with anything (though i have had and maybe still have depression, which is another thing entirely)

either way Rin is still my fav
ravenlord

Post by ravenlord »

Word Of God states that Yamaku High does not accept students with mental disabilities. Only people with physical disabilities or people with no disabilities can attend.

Rin may be a major air head, but not clinically so :)
Hanako>Shizune>Lilly>Emi>Rin {100% complete}
"痘痕も靨" (If there is love, then smallpox scars are as pretty as dimples) ~ Japanese proverb
Eraser35

Post by Eraser35 »

ravenlord wrote:Word Of God states that Yamaku High does not accept students with mental disabilities. Only people with physical disabilities or people with no disabilities can attend.

last time I checked Rin has no arms
ravenlord

Post by ravenlord »

Eraser35 wrote:
ravenlord wrote:Word Of God states that Yamaku High does not accept students with mental disabilities. Only people with physical disabilities or people with no disabilities can attend.

last time I checked Rin has no arms
:lol: Are you implying that missing two arms is a mental disability? :lol:
"痘痕も靨" (If there is love, then smallpox scars are as pretty as dimples) ~ Japanese proverb
Pyramid Head

Post by Pyramid Head »

Okay, i'm demanding a citation. I know Misha states at one point a mental handicap doesn't automatically get you into Yamaku like a physical handicap would, implying that high functioning students still need to apply and pass qualification tests since this is set in Japan, but you're implying Yamaku explicitly refuses access to students with mental problems.
If that's the case, EXPLAIN YOUR AVATAR! Hanako DID have clinical problems and was seeing a psychiatrist. You're implying that if Rin did have Asperger's she wouldn't be in Yamaku at all, but that's absurd, ESPECIALLY when it's also revealed Hisao has an epileptic classmate, it's implied another one is narcoleptic, and it's implied Kenji may be schizophrenic. Plus while it's up for debate whether or not Rin has Asperger's, i think it's pretty fucking hard to deny that she at least has ADD. Emi may also have mild PTSD and Jah only knows what to make of Misha.
The fear of blood tends to create fear for the flesh.
sporkaganza

Post by sporkaganza »

People go undiagnosed for mental illness all the time.

Just saying.

Also, what the above poster said. I thought it was they didn't accept solely on grounds of mental disability, not necessarily that they would not accept it at all.
ravenlord

Post by ravenlord »

sporkaganza wrote:

Just saying.

Also, what the above poster said. I thought it was they didn't accept solely on grounds of mental disability, not necessarily that they would not accept it at all.
Lilly's route clearly states in-game that "normal" people can attend, though mentally disabled children are not accepted. It is canon, end stop.

And by definition, if someone is "undiagnosed", then they are at least functional enough to pass within the normal range and are not debilitated by whatever it is that they supposedly have. There is a lot of variation within the norm. Just because some is a little different doesn't mean that they have some mental condition.
sporkaganza

Post by sporkaganza »

ravenlord wrote:
sporkaganza wrote:

Just saying.

Lilly's route clearly states in-game that "normal" people can attend, though mentally disabled children are not accepted. It is canon, end stop.

And by definition, if someone is "undiagnosed", then they are at least functional enough to pass within the normal range and are not debilitated by whatever it is that they supposedly have. There is a lot of variation within the norm. Just because some is a little different doesn't mean that they have some mental condition.
Aspergers' is high-functioning dude
ravenlord

Post by ravenlord »

sporkaganza wrote:Aspergers' is high-functioning dude
You need to argue with the game developers, not me. I am only repeating what they said. if you can convince them that they are wrong, then maybe they will write a patch to retcon the situation to your liking ;)
Pyramid Head

Post by Pyramid Head »

ravenlord wrote:Lilly's route clearly states in-game that "normal" people can attend, though mentally disabled children are not accepted. It is canon, end stop.

Okay, again, it's not canon, the statement is utter bullshit. Hanako clearly has mental problems, in fact people like Hanako and Emi are almost to be expected when your school is going to cater to people who likely have gone through traumatic experiences and maybe even near-death experiences. Also, Hisao has an epileptic classmate. This wouldn't be an issue if it was just minor differences between writers but again, you are implying that Yamaku explicitly refuses access to people with mental conditions when this absolutely cannot be the case not just because of peripheral characters but because of the main characters, hell, even the character whose perspective we see the story through likely has a certifiable mental condition from his near death experience, he just never talked to a psychiatrist about it. If your implication is that Yamaku doesn't cater to low functioning people like people who are severely autistic it would be hard to argue with that, but as it is your sticking to a statement that was either incorrect or is being misinterpreted.
The fear of blood tends to create fear for the flesh.
sporkaganza

Post by sporkaganza »

ravenlord wrote:
sporkaganza wrote:Aspergers' is high-functioning dude
You need to argue with the game developers, not me. I am only repeating what they said. if you can convince them that they are wrong, then maybe they will write a patch to retcon the situation to your liking ;)
You could not be missing the point of what I'm saying any more majestically right now