Stranded on a deserted island. Who do you want with you?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Who do you want with you if you are stranded on a deserted island?

Akira
14%
Emi
10%
Hanako
19%
Kenji
5%
Lilly
10%
Miki
4%
Misha
4%
Nurse
9%
Mutou
4%
Rin
8%
Shizune
9%
Yuuko
2%
Someone else
2%
No one else
1%

Total votes: 167

starfighter9

Re: Stranded on a deserted island. Who do you want with you

Post by starfighter9 »

ravenlord wrote: My thought there was that he is actually one of the most delicate of the disabled students. I didn't think that he would last very long without meds, so I didn't see him as a viable option on a short list of 14. I hope that does not sound too cold.
Valid point, although i was thinking more along the lines of Hisao being vastly preferable to people like Kenji or Jigoro. Those would likely drive you mad within a few days.

And i think that deep down, we all know that the 5 main girls of KS are among the worst choices, because of all their personality issues or disabilities. But they will always receive votes, because everyone is going to come up with an excuse to rationalise picking their favourite girl. I look at my previous post and i know that's what i did :P
ravenlord

Post by ravenlord »

starfighter9 wrote:
ravenlord wrote: My thought there was that he is actually one of the most delicate of the disabled students. I didn't think that he would last very long without meds, so I didn't see him as a viable option on a short list of 14. I hope that does not sound too cold.
Valid point, although i was thinking more along the lines of Hisao being vastly preferable to people like Kenji or Jigoro. Those would likely drive you mad within a few days.

And i think that deep down, we all know that the 5 main girls of KS are among the worst choices, because of all their personality issues or disabilities. But they will always receive votes, because everyone is going to come up with an excuse to rationalise picking their favourite girl. I look at my previous post and i know that's what i did :P
Haha yes, me too, I had the same self-debate when choosing! My head was going with Mutou, but my heart was going with Hanako. My final choice was based on the chance that if we never get rescued, then I'd rather be with a girl than with a guy :P

Kenji would have awesome survival skills, those already honed by preparing to be the last sane man on earth. Ditto with Jigoro, as a potential "King of the Jungle". But yeah, I might kill myself rather than have to deal with either one of them alone on a daily basis after a few weeks. Yuuko might have some book smarts and also some skills as she has done some archeology and anthropology study. But as a total klutz she could kill both of us too. Akira is probably the safest all around bet: pretty, female, and street smart. She covers the short term goals and the long term probabilities as well. Of all of the students, Miki is probably the most able bodied and best prepared to deal with a non-tech environment.
Hanako>Shizune>Lilly>Emi>Rin {100% complete}
"痘痕も靨" (If there is love, then smallpox scars are as pretty as dimples) ~ Japanese proverb
newnar

Post by newnar »

This is surprising. Where are all the hyping Misha fans of old?
themocaw

Post by themocaw »

I chose Kenji.

He knows how to build a fallout shelter.

He's prepared for this moment his entire life.

He's ready to be the last sane man on Earth.
Beanwell

Post by Beanwell »

themocaw wrote:I chose Kenji.

He knows how to build a fallout shelter.

He's prepared for this moment his entire life.

He's ready to be the last sane man on Earth.
In order to be the last sane man on Earth, his presence must, and will, make you insane.
Brogurt

Post by Brogurt »

Beanwell wrote: In order to be the last sane man on Earth, his presence must, and will, make you insane.
Or it will make you not a man.
ShadeHaven

Post by ShadeHaven »

Brogurt wrote:
Beanwell wrote: In order to be the last sane man on Earth, his presence must, and will, make you insane.
Or just kill you.
Megumeru

Post by Megumeru »

Brogurt wrote:
By the time you get rescued, you'll be puking rainbows.
They say they hate Shizune? What is this? BLASPHEMY!

SHII-HAEL!
Shizune>Rin>Emi>Hanako>Lilly
"A writer is a light that reveals the world of his story from darkness. Shapes it from nothingness. If the writer stops, the world dies with it." - Alan Wake
Yes, I write stories. Currently working on: The Haunting: A Love Story
starfighter9

Post by starfighter9 »

If you're with Kenji you won't get rescued, because the crash was caused as part of the global feminist conspiracy master plan, and any 'rescue team' is also sent by them to mop up any survivors.
Magnenntae

Post by Magnenntae »

Miki, she seems like pleasant company, and if I know I'm never going to be rescued I don't think I'd mind spending my time with her, above the other girls.

She's missing a hand, which would probably mean she couldn't help too much with my plans to make a totally radical swiss family robinson style treehouse lodge. But I'm sure she could help with some things. She can see, which means, unlike Lilly, falling off the totally radical treehouse lodge wouldn't be too likely.

She can hear, and I'm assuming I know Japanese or the other person knows English since we were on the same plane, and being able to hear could be really useful on an abandoned island. Not that Shizune was ever an option in the first place.

Emi's prosthetic legs might break, and without medical supplies it getting infected might be a problem as well.

Rin doesn't have arms, also who knows what kind of depression she could spiral into on an abandoned island with one other guy, who doesn't understand her at all.

I don't have any reasons that the other characters wouldn't be a good idea to have, but I just prefer Miki.

Also, props to the OP. This is actually a pretty creative idea, and I had a lot of fun thinking about it. :)
Walrusfella

Post by Walrusfella »

Again, good question Ravenlord, lots of fun. When I first saw the question I immediately thought of Emi - her cheerfulness and determination would be a bulwark against despair, and her fitness would be useful. Upon thinking about it some more, I realised that her advantage, fitness, might actually be a liability in an isolated survival situation. Since her body's a highly efficient machine she'd need a lot of calories per day just to stay alive. Somebody more sedentary like Lilly, Hanako, or Rin could get by on a lot less if it came down to it. Hanako would be the obvious choice, given that she can see and has hands.

There, how's that for "fig leaf" favourite girl rationalising? :)

Speaking of fig leaves, I would not want to be stuck there with Kenji, even though he might have some sort of survivalist knowlege. I sort of like him, but a little Kenji goes an awfully long way.

I was tempted to pick Yuuko, given that I like her and she has no votes :(, but she's prone to despair and out of her depth in perfectly normal situations, so not really the best choice for a survival partner. Shizune, on the other hand, would be a very good choice. She would take charge of the situation and wouldn't wait for rescue; she'd probably have an escape sailboat built and rigged by the end of the first week.
Half Marathon with Emi: Complete!
Bridge to 10k with Emi: Complete!
Couch to 5k with Emi: Complete!
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

Walrusfella wrote:Upon thinking about it some more, I realised that her advantage, fitness, might actually be a liability in an isolated survival situation. Since her body's a highly efficient machine she'd need a lot of calories per day just to stay alive.
Citation needed.
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
Denine

Post by Denine »

I would go with Hanao, like usual. But in this case, I need someone who actually know what to do. Ok, let's go, Shizune!
Riiight...I forgot I don't understand sign language.
Kenji? Nah.
Nurse sounds good, but I'm scared of him.
Then my pick will be Akira. With that suit of her... :D
Paths done (in order): Hanako, Lilly, Shizune, Emi, Rin
Hardest decision so far: Agree with Lilly or trust my own judgement in Hanako path.
Walrusfella

Post by Walrusfella »

Mirage_GSM wrote:
Walrusfella wrote:Upon thinking about it some more, I realised that her advantage, fitness, might actually be a liability in an isolated survival situation. Since her body's a highly efficient machine she'd need a lot of calories per day just to stay alive.
Citation needed.
Um, okay. Here goes.

The UN Food and Agriculture Organisation estimates a person's minimum daily energy requirements by finding the Basal Metabolic Rate or BMR. Their preferred method is the Schofield equation. The reference for that can be found in this report (pdf) under section 3.2.3. Some institutions have switched use the newer Institute of Medicine equation but screw that one, it's way harder and measures and entirely different thing.

Emi is a 19 year old female so her equation would look like this: BMR = 14.8 x W + 487. So 14.8 x 41 kg + 487 = 1093. Then the number is adjusted upward or downward within the limit of the standard error of estimation, which in this case would be 120. I'm not even remotely qualified to apply that, so I'll leave it as is. Emi's would probably go up within that limit, however. Come to think of it, I'm not remotely qualified to do any of this. Moving on.

Hanako is 18, so she would use the same equation. 14.8 x 52kg + 487 = 1256. With the SEE applied it would probably go down, but again I'll leave it as is.

The key thing here is that under the Schofield equation, the last thing you do is multiply the raw number by a Physical Activity Factor.

I think we can agree that Emi falls under the "very active" catagory, which for women would have a factor of 1.9. So 1093 x 1.9 = 2076 calories minimum per day, assuming she rests and doesn't do anything at all.

Hanako would fall under "sedentary", which would give her a factor of 1.3. So 1256 x 1.3 = 1632 calories minimum per day, substantially less.

Anyway, all this bafflegab flies straight out the window, because upon closer inspection of the original post there is adequate food available, making my scenario way less grim. :)
Half Marathon with Emi: Complete!
Bridge to 10k with Emi: Complete!
Couch to 5k with Emi: Complete!
ravenlord

Post by ravenlord »

Walrusfella wrote:Anyway, all this bafflegab flies straight out the window, because upon closer inspection of the original post there is adequate food available, making my scenario way less grim. :)
Yeah, I put that condition in there because I didn't want people just picking Misha as a possible alternate food source in case things ever got tight. I wanted to make it more like "Gilligan's island" and not like "The Donner Party" :)

You can figure on a tropical environment year round -- so fruits, fish, birds, small game, wild veggies, and unlimited supply of bamboo and coconuts.
Hanako>Shizune>Lilly>Emi>Rin {100% complete}
"痘痕も靨" (If there is love, then smallpox scars are as pretty as dimples) ~ Japanese proverb